A Shoulder And A No-Show

Sorry for the postless a.m. The hours have a way to keep you occupied -- especially when road trips are involved. We're in Jupiter, Fla., right now, about two hours south of Viera, for a game against the Cardinals. Well, at least some of us are in Jupiter. I still haven't spotted Jim Bowden or Stan Kasten. Who's here from the front office? Mike Rizzo and Bob Boone, to name a few. If I catch sight of the GM, I'll let you know. (Yes, our Bowden watch has reached a literal level.)

Anyway, we have one injury note for you.

Wily Mo Pena, after spending the last week battling some discomfort in his right shoulder, received an MRI and, according to Manager Manny Acta, has been diagnosed with a shoulder strain. "So that's why he's scratched from the lineup and couldn't make the trip," Acta said. "He's going to be out for a couple of days. And we don't have a time limit on how long he's going to be out."

During a few workouts last week, Pena occasionally was excused from throwing drills because of the pain. But now, doctors have decided he shouldn't swing a bat, either.

This is not the same shoulder that caused problems last year, when Pena missed the second half of the season after rotator cuff surgery.

Today's lineup for the Nats.

Harris - 7
Milledge - DH
Casto - 5
Patterson - 8
Maxwell - 9
Flores - 2
Castillo - 4
Marrero - 3
Gonzalez - 6
Cabrera - P

By Chico Harlan  |  February 28, 2009; 12:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bad Situations, Positive Things
Next: The Line On Cabrera

Comments

So, not Jupiter the planet?

Sigh on the injury front.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 28, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So the Nationals are starting the "B" squad against the Cardinals, who are rolling out the bigs guns to start (Molina, Pujols, Ankiel, Ludwick at 2-5 in the lineup).
That's ok, just wish the game was on regular radio.

Posted by: BinM | February 28, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess the injury bug had to bite us sooner or later. But I don't think anyone here expected Pena to be in the lineup on opening day (or even make the roster), so it's not a huge loss in my opinion.

Today's game is on XM 176, but I will warn you Cabrera is getting hit pretty hard, though we're only down 1-0 after 1.

Posted by: BGinVA | February 28, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Cabrera had some hard shots against him in the first, 1-0 Cards.

Posted by: cokedispatch | February 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

1a1: Sadly, somebody had to be the 1st National injured - imo, better WMP than somebody like, well I won't bring up any names.

Posted by: BinM | February 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Grabbed the mlb.com audio package - getting the Cardinals' feed & let me just say, these guys can't hold a candle to Charlie & Dave.

Posted by: BinM | February 28, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Cabrera got through his 2IP, but got slapped around (10 batters, 4 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), 0 BB, 0 K).

Posted by: BinM | February 28, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be great if we cast off Jim AND Willy Mo Painful on the same day?

Posted by: sbiel2 | February 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Agreed that someone had to be the first, BinM, but that was Dmitri. I'd rather not see any of them injured, but I know that's not possible.

Thanks for the game updates. Speaking of which, new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 28, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse