Crow: I Don't Think I'll Fall Behind

Baseball America's Kary Booher, in this feature (available to subscribers), examines the upcoming months for two pitching prospects who were drafted last year and did not sign: Tanner Scheppers, a second-round pick of the Pirates, and Aaron Crow, whose backstory by now probably needs to parethentical explanation.

Crow is now a member of the indy ball Fort Worth Cats, which means his lead-up to the 2009 draft will require some unconventional steps. He no longer has the structure of college competition, as he did last year while enrolled at Mizzou. Now, he faces a jumble of private workouts and tough-to-evaluate competition in the indy circuit. Crow, BA writes, will probably get six starts with the Cats before the draft.

Here's an excerpt...

"Hopefully I'll end up with a better situation this year and I'll be able to move on with my career," [Crow] said.

Crow's last college game was on May 30, just before Ole Miss eliminated Mizzou in regional play. He finished 13-0, 2.35 in 107 innings, striking out 127 against 38 walks. Scouts took note of a creative combination of velocity -- he cranked his fastball up to 92-96, with a peak of 98 -- as well as hard sink and command, a plus slider and the makings of a changeup.

Hendricks also indicated Crow's price hasn't come down, and said if teams aren't willing to meet that price, "Don't draft him."

Crow is confident things will work out.

"I should be in the best shape of my life this season," he said. "I don't feel like I'll be behind at all. I know all the other people that got drafted last year, they got in a couple of more months (of pro experience). But I can make up that quickly. I'm still working out and getting my body ready for the season. So I don't think I'll fall behind at all."

By Chico Harlan  |  February 22, 2009; 9:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Post About Everything And Absolutely Nothing
Next: The Spring Rotation Is Set

Comments

One little item on the blog roll--It's the Hardball Times, not Hardball Time. Just fyi.

Posted by: sbiel2 | February 22, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Scooter pointed that out several posts ago, in addition to suggesting a link to baseball-reference.com, which I seconded. I also like the baseball almanac site, FWIW, and my inner indexer would like to see the links in alpha order.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 22, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Hendricks the same group that worked with Roger Clemens?

If I were Crow, I would be p!ssed off that you lost 1 year of your MLB life. That $500,000 that supposedly caused you not to sign last year in your signing bonus cost you several MILLION by missing a year of MLB life. One year closer to arbitration and one year closer to Free Agency. HUGE MISTAKE.

Crow, if you read this, think about who is giving you advice!!!! The same guys who advised Roger Clemens?

This statement is funny as Free Agents and new contracts are falling:

Well, I expect teams to take Hendrick's advice and "DON'T DRAFT HIM". Crow has already fallen from #9 to #13 in the mock draft on one draft site and may fall to #17 to get to some of the deep pocket teams that may pay $4 million.

Personally, I wouldn't pay him "Frowney" type of money of $1.4 million!!!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 22, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Just one word to describe the Crow/Hendricks camp: Delusional.

Posted by: BinM | February 22, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

So are the Hendriks starting the bidding at 9 million again or did they learn anything in their brilliant 2008 negotiations?

I can't wait to see what their fantasy figure is this year for Aaron "Don't Draft Him" Crow.

Posted by: driley | February 22, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Good catch, goinggoing.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 22, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

First, a couple of (badly needed) corrections:

1.) Crow is NOT an amateur - the minute he signed the contract with the Ft. Worth Cats, he became a professional baseball player, which is why he cannot go back to playing college baseball

2.) Independent baseball is NOT "tough to evaluate" competition. Scouts do it routinely and sign dozens of players every year. That's the draw for players - a chance to get back into affiliated baseball. Furthermore, the league in which Crow plays has roster rules regarding the experience of the players, i.e. there is a limit to the number of players with X # of years of experience (typically 4) and a minimum number of players that must have no pro experience (typically 5). The veterans (5 or more years of pro experience) will undoubtedly do the best against Crow, so scouts will guage his success against them. Most indy-league veterans have made it as high as AA, some AAA, and a handful are ex-major-leaguers.

Posted by: Wooden_U_Lykteneau | February 22, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Also, there is a new R(oberto) F(icko) post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 22, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Going, going, gone:

We won't know about Crow until his career progresses some. You could be right about him, who knows? But at angry as you are about Crow, I feel the same about the Nats, who balked at the extra $500 or 600K. Detwiler came in at slot the year before, so he was signed. Crow came in a little above, when the last numbers were exchanged, but his credentials were so much better than Detwiler's.

The Os paid well above slot for Matt Wieters the year before the Crow pick, at $6 million. Should the Os have protested at Wieters' greed and let him walk? No, because they are trying to build their team.

Are the Nats building for the future or aren't they? Well, anyway, the cash the Nats saved should keep everyone warm these long winter nights. Let's hope the Nats go for best player available at 9A, rather than slot-signable.

Posted by: EdDC | February 22, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Chico "In other words, he was clearly one of the best pitchers available in last year's draft. Yet he remains an amateur after talks broke down with the Nationals. The Crow camp, led by his agents the Hendricks Brothers, and the Nationals remained millions of dollars apart until the Aug. 15 signing deadline approached. Crow dropped his demands to the $4 million range, while the Nationals came up to $3.5 million, but they couldn't bridge the gap in time."

Wooden - When Chico wrote "amateur" while technically incorrect is sometimes used when a player isn't with the MLB or Minor League system, but good point as I wonder what the Ft. Worth Cats pay him in salary or other compensation.

On your Point #2 I think Hendricks brought up Crow's skills in this statement to demonstrate he's as good as or better. Doesn't leave me warm and fuzzy on his skills. "He needs to pitch and basically demonstrate that he's as good or better than he was last year," Randy Hendricks said. "And I'm quite confident that that's what he's going to do."

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 22, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Crow has several things going against him.
1. Bad Agents...last year was the year to break the bank. This year will be much more difficult.

2. Poor Competition...He will not be going against hitters or play with players that will improve his skill. One bad outing will raise eyebrows, more then one will devalue him even more.

3. Poor Training and Medical Services...No matter what, a Major League Club and their Minor League teams have a great amount dedicated in training services. Doubt that will occur in Fort Worth.

4. His Age. He will be 23 this year. This puts he behind. Teams know he must sign this year, if not he will be beyond his full value as a prospect.

5. His Attitude. He needs to show he will be a team player, rather than an individual.

Posted by: sazzwho | February 22, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Ed - As was pointed out, Crow started at $9 million to start with. The whole negotiation was a joke in my opinion. So many of us felt if the Nats said $4 million then Crow's group may have said $5.5 million. Tough to negotiate with a group like that.

Ed, on so many of your posts it is about the money. You make it seem like there is an open checkbook which is the problem on Wall Street and a problem on Main Street if you haven't been watching the destruction of our economy. You see where the Yankees are today as well as the Redskins who spend it all. Yes, you have to spend money, but spend it wisely like they did with Adam Dunn.

I pay enough for my tickets and understand that we all pay for these salaries one way or another. I believe in paying the players that are proven like Cristian Guzman and Willie Harris and Adam Dunn, but reason has to be used.

Aaron Crow in my opinion was never about money and your comparisons to Wieters isn't the same just like Markakis to Zimmerman.

Just curious, how much are you personally paying in season tickets this year?

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 22, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Well, it may make me a bad person, but here's to a labrum tear, you little weenie.

Posted by: Section406 | February 22, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

EdDC, do you ever have anything of substance to talk about besides bashing ownership or spending THEIR money? You rant here and since on Nats320 they won't post your rants anymore you have to do it here. Its so old.

Do you own your own business?

Have you ever run a sports franchise?

The only loser in Crow was Crow. The Nats have pick 9A and everyone here gets it but you.

Much rather spend the money on Teixeira or Adam Dunn than Crow.

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 22, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

DM88 - When the only instrument you have is a bongo, every song sounds the same.

Posted by: Wooden_U_Lykteneau | February 22, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wooden - I hope Ed can spend his money on the full ensemble of instruments not just a bongo.

Getting back to Crow reminds me of the most high profile snub by JD Drew to the Phillies. I don't think Washingtonians would do to Crow what Phillies fans did when JD Drew arrived in their stadium and took right field and the sky hailed batteries, but I do find Section406's post interesting.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 22, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

And we care about this------why exactly?

Posted by: dand187 | February 22, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Dand187 - We shouldn't care. Just filling time because we are stuck in Washington while Chico is in warm and sunny Florida and wanted to stoke the heat up here with another Aaron Crow story.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 22, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

No need to root for a labrum tear - I'd be much happier seeing Crow get smacked around for a start or two (quite likely if he's gotten out of shape or underestimates his competition) so he'll drop out of the first round. That would be so much sweeter.

Posted by: Wooden_U_Lykteneau | February 22, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Wooden - A much better suggestion. Better to wish for a heavy dose of reality, than injury.

Posted by: BinM | February 22, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Good point Wooden/BinM.

Check out ESPN.com who did some investigative work in the Dominican on Frowney.

Vizcaino recently spoke with Lugo, who admitted his wrongdoing and explained what had happened.

"He's sad," Vizcaino said. "He did it because he thought if he didn't change his identity he would never sign."

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 22, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

So to summarize, Smiley's status is not Frowny but Pouty today.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 22, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Crow is confident things will work out.

-----------------
No college spring ball, or organized spring training in over a year, and yet he'll "be in the best shape of his life". Again, one word - Delusional.

Posted by: BinM | February 22, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, personally, I'm not as worked up over it as Philly seemed to be over JD Drew. I just find it annoying that, as far as I can tell, Crow's people didn't negotiate much in good faith, and are trying to pin it on the Nats.

Posted by: Section406 | February 22, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Section406 - I think everyone on here is in agreement (but ED) that the Nats are far better off getting their pick back and getting a player that wants to be here.

Can't wait to see Strasburg pitching here in Washington on Sept 4th 2009!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 22, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Ummm-- $4 million, in this market? Good luck with that....

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse