Important Breaking News

Sorry if I'm the last to know, but ...

we're getting a new Screech??!!??

From the Nats:

The Washington Nationals will unveil a new look for "Screech" on Monday, March 2 at the ESPN Zone. Fans are invited to attend the unveiling from noon to 1:00pm at the Washington, DC restaurant. Narrated by Nationals in-game host Clint, the program will include a slideshow featuring "Screech" through the years, the unveiling of the new mascot and a meet-and-greet with fans.

Did Screech NEED a makeover?

By Tracee Hamilton  |  February 26, 2009; 12:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's Official: Rijo, Baez Out [Update]
Next: The Odd Outfielder Out

Comments

OMG WHERE IS SBF

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | February 26, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

well he certainly needed a shower. could that be what they're unveiling?

Posted by: sec231 | February 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

New VP for communications and community outreach and now a new screech? Wow, they really are cleaning house!

Unless they are going to feed Clint to Screech I don't want to hear about it. Although Clint's roommate was a co-worker of mine and had it on good authority that Clint is not in fact Damian the spawn of Satan - but I'm not ready to take his word for it...

Posted by: estuartj | February 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

New Screech - Yes
Old Clint - No!

Posted by: alm1000 | February 26, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

... screech. The Nats have a new one. But there's more to screech than meets the eye:

Posted by: natscanreduxit | February 26, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

My wife has been saying that the suit looks like it hasn't been washed since opening day 2006.

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | February 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Of course! This is the new position they're offering Bowden to let him save face!

Posted by: nattydread1 | February 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps JB will be assuming Screech duties.

Posted by: cokedispatch | February 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ok seriously now that the Nats are playing baseball everyday I could care less about uniforms and screech.

Posted by: PNatsFan | February 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank the Lord! Another baby step towards effective marketing and identity. The uniform changes were half-assed, but they're making progress without any real investment from the Lerners (they need to spend the cash to completely re-brand, eliminating the chunky MLB designed fonts. Script, please!)

Posted by: Kev29 | February 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Screech looked like a chicken, of course he needed a makeover.

Posted by: DER27 | February 26, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Can he pitch?

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 26, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The only makeover Screech needs involves deep-basting.

Posted by: VladiHondo | February 26, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Screech was just leftovers from unsold chicken platters. Not a bad way to recycle, but not much fun to look at.

Posted by: EdDC | February 26, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I hope the new Screech washes his head once in a while. The old one was so grey and dusty after four years of duty is was embarassing and a health hazard to the children.

Posted by: raymitten | February 26, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Got new posted...

VladiHondo wrote: Rizzo's been "tainted" by Bowden cooties, LaCava all the way.

While the "cooty theory" may have some merit, I believe that Rizzo was a Kasten hire and, if Kasten chooses to make a change, he will most likely go with his boy.

Posted by: TimDz | February 26, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals have hired Dustin Diamond as their official mascot for 2009.

Posted by: FireBowdenNow | February 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhhh....nothing better than hearing Charlie & Dave back on the radio. I'm loving life right now. Baseball is back!

Posted by: FloresFan | February 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

What a tease - breaking news, my arse.

I hope the new Screech has a bigger chest than belly. Da meat on that old bird was just to fatty. It's time to muscle up.

Posted by: natbisquit | February 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have the url for the live box score updates?

Posted by: estuartj | February 26, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

What do they need a bird for anyway? Why are they copying Baltimore?

Create an Uncle Sammy, make him "flat" like Flat Stanley and send him all over the country for photo ops. Send it to all the pre-K and K elementary school kids in the area.

Bah birds. Ballimmmmmmeerrrr.

Posted by: periculum | February 26, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"...the program will include a slideshow featuring "Screech" through the years,..."

I believe I have seen similar slideshows in the past during my high school years...You know the time-lapsed shows of meat rotting over a period of days...

It will be intersting to see if they do the slideshow in a chronological manner. It would be interesting to see the transformation in that manner...

Posted by: TimDz | February 26, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

estuartj, I wish I did. I'm listening over the radio.

So far top of 2nd and its 0-0. 1,2,3 innnings for both teams.

Posted by: FloresFan | February 26, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if JimBow is at the game today?

Posted by: estuartj | February 26, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Here's the mlb.com boxscore page:

I can't find the pitch-by-pitch Gameday today. It was on yesterday but not really working.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | February 26, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, leave it to the Ballpark Guys.

Here's live Gameday:

Posted by: shepdave2003 | February 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Two no-hit, shutout innings from Balester. Zimmermann on in the third. Zip-zip.

Posted by: BobLHead | February 26, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

New postS

Posted by: estuartj | February 26, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Some great zingers in here. Y'all are in top form.

(Me, I hope his "new look" is that he is now Uncle Slam. But I've been hoping that for four years.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 26, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I love Uncle Slam! I'd settle for a more fearsome-looking bird (not so much as to scare the kiddies but less of a doofus).

Speaking of marketing, just opened one of those direct mail coupon packages and noticed that there's an insert from the Nats promoting their mini plans. The Caps have done that in the past and I was happy to see the Nats doing it as well. We need to bring in more fans.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 26, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I say we bring back Youppi!. He's not a bird, he's a ... whatever he is, he's better here than at a hockey rink. Dye Youppi! red, let him wear an inverted Montreal M as a W, and we have a classic baseball mascot.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 26, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Youppi! already have a job? I thought he signed with some other team as a free agent.

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 26, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Didn't he go to the Canadiens?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 26, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Youppi was acquired by the Canadiens.

Screech could just go, for my money. He makes me feel stupid for buying a ticket (and I do mean, "a" ticket). That suit looked dirty when it was new, let alone three years later. And take Bowden along with him.

Posted by: gbooksdc | February 26, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse