Vote for Your Favorite Comeback Kid

Which of these Nats has the best chance to the Comeback Player of the Year?

By Tracee Hamilton  |  February 23, 2009; 7:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SI.com: Feds Investigating Bowden
Next: The Nats Plan Their Next Steps

Comments

I'm thinking if Nick is healthy, he may be CPY, but it will be for another team no later than 8/1/09. Shawn OTOH could end up being the team's CPY, because if he's healthy, he isn't going anywhere.

Also, Chico, if you tune in to Tracee's poll, is Brad Eldred getting a serious look, or will he be sent to minor league camp once it opens?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 23, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm voting for Other: the FBI and hoping that they get rid of Bowden :-).

Posted by: FireBowdenNow | February 23, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

On the grounds that you have to have a high level to return to in order to get comeback player of the year I voted for Nick. However, if Hill can stay healthy he can have a major impact. I wish Dmitri all the best and hope he can return to his 2007 form as well, but I think someone else will get his at bats. And Kearns, I think he has yet to have his best year, but I'm not thinking of that as a comeback. I'm thinking he needs to have a breakthrough.

Posted by: natbisquit | February 23, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Hi Sect506,

... thanx for reacquainting me with The Plan, which I had forgotten over the past couple of years. Reading it again, I'm not quite as devoted to it as I once might have been. You wrote: "I suspect if there is complete failure still at 2015 there will be a reassessment of the principles."

... and I have to ask, are Nats fans still willing to wait six more years for signs of a successful plan? Not me. I'm looking for signs of success a lot sooner than that.

... and this, in regards to JimBo's problems: I once thought Marge Schott was the worst thing to happen to the Reds. Today, she appears to have been little more than a pesky mosquito compared to some of the shysters operating behind her.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | February 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

estoy firmado!
Juxtaposed quotes in re el escándalo @ Loma del Sueno
****************************************************

"He's a definite starter in the big leagues," Bowden said. "He's an incredible shortstop."
****************************************************
" ‘He doesn't run all that well, and has an average arm,’ an executive with another team said this summer.”
****************************************************
"Everything you want to imagine Ozzie [Smith] doing with the glove, he does, yet he can hit from both sides of the plate. [He hits] electric line drives, shots," Bowden said. "He is a special talent."
****************************************************
“… scouts expect his body to fill out, bringing more power.”
****************************************************
“Buscones have been known to juice players on steroids in the weeks before a tryout, adding miles per hour to their fastballs or distance to their home runs. ‘And then after you sign them, a guy who was throwing 93 [mph] at a workout is down to 83,’ Rijo said, ‘and you're like, What the hell?’ ”
estoy firmado!

Posted by: dhfrancoise | February 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

estoy firmado!
Juxtaposed quotes in re el escándalo @ Loma del Sueno
****************************************************
“That's why I'm so high on him: his attitude," Rijo said. "It's not the tools. It's how he handles himself. He's not a typical Dominican kid."
****************************************************
“Gonzalez fiddles with his Soundmaster III three-disc changer stereo, another new addition, and talks about training roosters ‘to fight, and when they lose, to eat,’ he said.”
****************************************************
“Cano said there is a push among some of his colleagues to stop falsifying documents.”
****************************************************
“His father, Daniel, works in agriculture.”
****************************************************
“It’s criminal,” a National League executive said. “This is orange jumpsuit-kind of stuff. It’ll be interesting to see how far it goes.”
estoy firmado!

Posted by: dhfrancoise | February 23, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

estoy firmado!
Juxtaposed quotes in re el escándalo @ Loma del Sueno
****************************************************
“Dominican players are driven as much by paranoia as promise.”
****************************************************
"I would be worried if he would be like the average Dominican. He's not," Rijo said. "His attitude, his temper, it's unbelievable. I don't see the cockiness. I don't see the big head. It's unbelievable. He's patient at the plate. It's unbelievable, his quickness."
"He's a tremendous person," Vizcaino said. "He's always happy. He's ready to do whatever the Nationals want. The contract hasn't changed him at all."
****************************************************
"He's sad," Vizcaino said. "He did it because he thought if he didn't change his identity he would never sign."
****************************************************
"[The players who get released] come home and do nothing," Escarramán said. "They have no education, no skills, and they come home depressed. Maybe one in 100 of these kids will make the major leagues. I think Major League Baseball needs to help us find a way to deal with the other 99. The first step is increasing the signing age from 16 to 18. At least then kids can graduate from high school before they sign."
****************************************************
Rijo is quick to say, "I don't trust any of (the buscons)."
****************************************************
“The Expos paid him by check and made him rich, certainly by Bani standards. Only he didn’t have a bank account and neither did his parents. In fact, he laughed at the very idea of it. Bank accounts, after all, were for people with money.”
****************************************************
“A major league team official, with a nice shirt and pressed pants and in a position of authority, will likely get little resistance from the largely poor and often undereducated player.”
****************************************************
“You hear stories of kids trying to kill themselves after they get released. It is a bad situation."
estoy firmado!

Posted by: dhfrancoise | February 23, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

WMP needs to be on the list. NJ gets my vote.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | February 23, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Nice quotes dhfrancoise. With all that is known about signing Dominican prospects, you'd think that Kasten and Lerner would have done more than interview the kid for two hours at a bar in the middle of the night before handing over $1.4 million of Daddy's money.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | February 23, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Hill: Ineligible, because in order to "come back" you must have previously "been there".

NJ: Only logical choice.

Kearns: See Hill comment above. He was never that good. Nor has he really fallen that far.

Young: Can you be eligible twice? How many second chances has this guy got?

Posted by: Aterio | February 23, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"Young: Can you be eligible twice? How many second chances has this guy got?"

Not nearly as many as Jim Bowden, apparently.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 23, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Another NJ denizen for NJ here.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 23, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"I'm voting for Other: the FBI and hoping that they get rid of Bowden :-)."

Posted by: FireBowdenNow | February 23, 2009 8:40 AM
________________________________________________________

Big shocker there.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Gasp!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 23, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Power Boater wrote:

WMP needs to be on the list. NJ gets my vote.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | February 23, 2009 9:14 AM
---------

WMP, while a long-shot for the list - and a distant #5 to the other four guys, is even a longer-shot for the team. I think there's less than a 1% chance he makes the 25-man. If NJ is healthy, baring any trades, your OF is: Dunn/Dukes/Milledge w/ Willingham & Kearns; if not, and Dunn is at 1B, then it's Willingham/Dukes/Milledge w/ Kearns & Harris (super-utility).

At LEAST two guys need to get hurt and/or traded for WMP to break into that group - and then, he's only a 5th OF in a glut of RH-hitting OFers. His best shot is starting the year on the 15/60-day DL!

Posted by: TheBorg | February 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

NJ might be the best bet, but probably for another team. I don't see him here all year. That's why I picked S Hill - if he's truly healthy he has a shot at grabbing a spot in the rotation and we know he has good stuff - all a matter of health.

Posted by: ajtrue78 | February 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse