Over The Hill

Shawn Hill's one inning came and went with no runs, no hits and no red flags. Three hours from now, whenever Manny Acta does his quick post-game wrap chat with the media, I'm putting the odds at 98 percent that Acta calls the outing "encouraging." Hill threw 12 pitches, six strikes. The play-by-play: Lazy flyout to center, groundout to short, a walk (and stolen base), then a sharp liner to right.

Encouraging indeed.

Gustavo Chacin comes in as Hill's replacement.

By Chico Harlan  |  February 27, 2009; 1:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Waiting, waiting...
Next: Notes From The Dominican Republic

Comments

Boy would it be nice for Shawn to crack into the rotation and have a productive and healthy season.

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | February 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I know it means less than nothing, but the nats starters have combined for a 9 inning no hitter thus far this spring.

Somehow I don't think that will last through Olsen & Cabrera...

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Go Flores!

Go Guzman!

I noticed Adam Eaton has been released by the Phillies. They had been paying him $9 this year. I can't imagine this .500 pitcher is worth it. How much would it cost the Nats to take him in?

Posted by: kevincostello | February 27, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

That was $9 Million, of course.

Positively Half St.

Posted by: kevincostello | February 27, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Ahem. I remember getting BLASTED on this site for even SUGGESTING that I HOPED Hill would finally be healthy this year.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 27, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope I was there to back you up, I too have the highest of hopes that Hill can be healthy enough to start 20 games this year.

If I recall I was also so bold as to suggest if NJ can start 100 games and Hill 20 that that Nats would win 82 games this year. I still stand behind that, especially if we can have NJ and AD in the line-up together 100+ games...great things might be happening!

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

People were wrong to blast you for 'hoping' it. We should, however, never 'rely' on it. If healthy Hill gets the nod over Ballister or Zimmermann. If he goes down, then they are called him up, and will maintain a lower pitch count than if they played a whole season. Where the Nat's made a mistake is planning on him making it a whole year. This year he is just insurance.

And they say we aren't making progress.

Posted by: soundbloke | February 27, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

------------------
Terribly sorry, but credit still isn't flowing. What's needed is another couple of trillion or so in the form of a Super Emergency Stimulus bill that has to be passed now -- NOW NOW NOW!!! -- or catastrophe is certain. Perhaps if that works -- and, admittedly, nobody has a clue -- then credit can be extended.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | February 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Yea, but c'mon. He had already been "Pattersoned" in everyone's minds, wasn't even a consideration, in everyone's starting rotation speculation he wasn't even mentioned. And when I said something like "What's up with Hill? Wouldn't it be cool if he came back?" I got blasted for even suggesting it.

Just let me feel all smart for a minute, is all I'm asking. LOL!

Posted by: NatsNut | February 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

While the fact that his arm didn't fall off is encouraging in its own right, his pitching line was not particularly good. Hill needs to throw strikes, more than 6 out of 12. He also needs to get ground balls, and he had two fly outs.

Having said that, one inning does not constitute much of a sample size. I look forward to see him continue to pitch and get better with each outing! In many respects, the success of Hill and Johnson can make the difference in the Nats season this year.

Posted by: Section314 | February 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"I know ya'll are gonna say "it's one inning," but still. Give a girl a little credit."

How you gonna know he's healthy until you see how he feels tomorrow? Are you spending the night with him tonight just to make sure?

Posted by: nunof1 | February 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

These are all the same people who didn't think Nick would ever play again after Kearns broke his leg.

Nick was already under contract so "cutting" him would do no good, so why the hate? It's not like Nick was blocking a prospect, right? (OK maybe we wouldn't have lost whats-his-name who ARI got on waivers, but that's not saying much and other still on the 40 man could have been a better fall guy)

If Hill works out great, it's like found money - if not, well all it cost us was a roster spot that, again, isn't holding anyone back. I'm hoping (and even betting, see above) that Hill is healthy enough to make the rotation, I think you start him in the #5 slot so he can get skipped a few time to give him extra rest and keep his innings down in case we're actually good enough to want some meaningful starts from him in September.

If Hill doesn't work out you cut him and save $700k or so and give his roster spot to Zimmermann.

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you some credit, NatsNut, and I know that you're smart.

Hey, nunof, that's hitting below the belt, as it were.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

for the earlier commenter: Eaton would cost us the league minimum -- ~$400K. The phillies are on the hook for the rest.

Posted by: Section406 | February 27, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

thanks 1a ;)

nunof, what the hell kinda dumb comment was that?

Posted by: NatsNut | February 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Just looked over Eaton's stats and it really isn't pretty.

I'd have a tough time picking out who on the 40 man roster I'd want to risk to waivers to bring him in.

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we could turn around, sign Otsuka too, and trade Eaton and Otsuka for Sledge and two throw ins - Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez. It's been done before.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Another curly W in the books for the Nats, who were on the right end of a shutout.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

and another new post

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I keep thinking Hill will wind up as the #1 starter, before the season is over -- all respect to Olsen and Lannan. He's got the best stuff of anyone in the organization.

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse