Video: The Bullpen

Joel Hanrahan, Steve Shell and Manny Acta discuss the outlook for the bullpen:

By Tracee Hamilton  |  February 2, 2009; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Sabermatricians Are Coming! The Sabermatricians Are Coming!
Next: The Unpredictable, Pain-Free, Kind-Of-Forgotten Shawn Hill

Comments

Since no one responded to my question, I'll ask again...

The main opposition that I've read so far to signing Sheets are (a) his questionable health and (b) his type-A status. So if we signed him, we'd give up our 2nd round pick (b/c the 1st rounder is protected). But if we signed him to a 1-yr deal, and he remained healthy (and effective), and signed somewhere else next off-season, then wouldn't we effectively get that pick (or a better one) returned to us?

Posted by: jctichen | February 2, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Actually, if he were a type-A again next year, then we would get 2 picks (the compensation and the sandwich), thus effectivly gaining a draft pick.

Posted by: jctichen | February 2, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

BASEBALL IS ON! right now! on MLB Network!

Carribbean World Series!

*does a happy dance*

Posted by: MrMadison | February 2, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Key compontents to that answer of course is that he will sign a 1 year deal (possible, but unlikely for us), remained healthy (for the length of the contract) and remain effective (ditto).

I'll take heat for this, but my opinion is that Shawn Hill will start more games over the next two years and be just as or more effective than Sheets over that period.

Again, just my opinion, but if I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would put money on Sheets falling apart in the next 18 months.

Posted by: estuartj | February 2, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soundbloke | February 2, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I asked b/c I know many of you are experts on the compensation scheme. If indeed it works out that way, then I'd offer that as a possible way to take advantage of the system, particularly in this market where players are choosing to take shorter contracts to re-enter free agency again in the next year or two.

E- Your opinion of Shawn Hill seems a tad high.

Posted by: jctichen | February 2, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Sheets record of getting hurt, added to our record of injuries? I'd be worried for the man's life, let alone his ability to complete a whole season of baseball."

Or, on the flip side...
We sign him to a contract discated by this market. He might miss a few games, but has a season close to what he did in '08, is the best pitcher on the staff, the Nats win more games, everyone is happy.

Posted by: jctichen | February 2, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Anderson Hernandez's first at-bat:

Drew a Walk, stole 2nd, stole 3rd. stranded on 3rd.

Posted by: MrMadison | February 2, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

discated is not a word. I meant dictated.

Posted by: jctichen | February 2, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the posts, Tracee.

I've been watching, JMad. Ramon (Unbelievable) Ortiz is starting for Licey.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 2, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Shoot. Got back to the TV just in time to see Belli strike out to end the inning.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 2, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip, MrMadison! I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Tivo was already recording the game... it knows me so well!

And hi everyone! I still lurk around these parts occasionally... :)

Posted by: JennX_ | February 2, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

JennX! Welcome back from mostly lurking! Hopefully you can enter quasi-lurking status full time, as we would love to hear more from yon NJ old timers!

Using "yon" totally made my day.

Posted by: NattyDelite | February 2, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Belli hit a two-run shot to left field to tie the game up.

Posted by: FloresFan | February 2, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrronnie!

Posted by: natsguy1 | February 2, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Good to "see" you, Jenn!

I liked Belli's blast (so did he). Too bad the bullpen couldn't hold 'em.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 2, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Just ran through the video - Colome = Just Say NO! Four out of five of the following (Shell, Hinckley, T.Young, Rivera & Hanrahan) should be the 7th-9th inning pitchers on the 2009 version of the Washington Nationals, barring injury.

A three-player combination of the following (Estrada, Mock, O'Conner or M.Chico [when he's healthy], and Bergmann as a 'swingman'), can get the team through a LR/MR usage when the starters fail early, or in a late "blow-out" situation.

Posted by: BinM | February 2, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse