Friday Morning Leftovers

Some leftovers from yesterday, when the blog posts were flying.

The Dallas Morning News' Rangers blog has tidbits about former Nats Chad Cordero and Odalis Perez..

I was looking for Stephen Strasburg news and came upon this column about his San Diego State manager Tony Gwynn. Are there even players like Gwynn in the majors anymore? I'm trying to think of the player who, if it was revealed he'd popped a drug test during his playing career, would most shock me, and it might be Gwynn.

Canada's National Post says the Jays say the Nats haven't asked permission to talk to La Cava.

And of course, in case you missed Boz -- Thomas Boswell! -- here is the link.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  February 27, 2009; 8:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: "It Was Time To Cut That Cord"
Next: GMs, Pitchers, Lineups

Comments

Thanks for the tidbits, Tracee. I want to believe that there are still such players. I would think that such a revelation about his fellow inductee, Iron Man, would also be a shocker. On a somewhat related note, don't suppose that we'll see many (any?) guys playing with one team for their entire career.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the Gwynn article. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have no doubt he did things the right way. Interesting that both the link to the Rangers and Jays mentioned Odalis Perez, both showing no interest. I wonder if not asking the Jays(as of yet) for permission to speak with Tony LaCave would mean that Rizzo may be the man, should the neck of JB be victimized by the guillotine? Suppose we will all find out soon eneough.

Posted by: cokedispatch | February 27, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"I'm trying to think of the player who, if it was revealed he'd popped a drug test during his playing career, would most shock me, and it might be Gwynn."

Could it be that during his later years, Gwynn looked like he had been poured into his uniform? A decidedly un-juiced physique...and a symbol of hope to overweight middle-aged men everywhere.

Posted by: yobigc | February 27, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Strasburg has pitched 12 1/3 innings so far this season (37 outs) and 27 of those were strikeouts*

* granted they were against Bethune-Cookman and Nevada

Posted by: Brian_ | February 27, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I generally assume that every ballplayer for the past few decades has used some illegal drugs to help his play. Gwynn on steroids or the like might surprise me, if only because he looked like the only time he did a situp was to grab another dinner roll.

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 27, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Here is an interesting Fangraphs piece (when have said that before) on what to expect from John Lannan this year.

There is a nice discussion of the rotation and Lannan over on NatsPride. The tone is pretty optimistic there. Fangraphs essentially expect Lannan to revert to league average because he does not seem to have superior control.

One thing I noticed in his pitch type breakdown was that his slider and changeup are nearly identical in speed (average between 80 and 81 MPH).

Does throwing a slider and a change at practically the same speed make both more deceptive? You hear often that there needs to be a gap between the fastball and the change to be effective, and Lannan's gap isn't much (6 -7 MPH), but does he get a benefit from the closeness of his slider / change?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 27, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The Rangers link included three former Nats (Byrd being the other).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

...and Chico tees off on another new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Addendum to my earlier post: bi-fans may remember Byrd from a noteworthy game vs. the TTMNBN.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse