The Early Arrivals

Pitchers and catchers do not report, at least officially, until Saturday. But that does not mean that Viera, Fla., is a ghost town this week. First of all, Viera, Fla., is never a ghost town; it has a Target and a Wal-Mart, in addition to several other destinations for its growing community. Second of all, plenty of Nats players are already down there.

So, who has reported early for workouts?

Two of the team's veteran first basemen, Nick Johnson and Dmitri Young, have both shown up at the spring training facility for sessions with new hitting Rick Eckstein. (From what I've heard, Young looks in far better physical condition than he did last year, when he battled complications of diabetes and finished the season weighing more than 310 pounds.)

There's also a long list of pitchers in Viera.

Among them: Scott Olsen, Jason Bergmann, Matt Chico, Ross Detwiler, Steven Shell, Joel Hanrahan, Garrett Mock, Graham Hicks (the Nats' fourth-round pick in 2008) and Clint Everts (a first-round pick in 2002).

Detwiler, Chico, Bergmann and Hill actually live in Viera now. (So does Ryan Church, who has occasionally dropped by to work out on his own.)

"When I first came down here, my first spring training was 2003, which makes me one of the older guys, actually," Bergmann said. "But 2003, I remember Mike Hinckley and Chris Schroder picked me up from airport. I had no idea what to expect. There was the baseball facility, a Wal-Mart and one hotel. No Target. It was just a small, small community on (outskirts) of Melbourne. Now it's rapidly growing."

By the way, until the last few days, Bergmann said, it had been downright freezing in Viera. Some days, temperatures didn't escape the 30s. But now, that coldspell has broken. Right now, it's sunny and in the mid-70s. Saturday, the high is 80.

By Chico Harlan  |  February 10, 2009; 1:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Cannot Lure Durham
Next: Chatter Up!

Comments

I'm curious to see a quantification of "far better physical condition"

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Post idea for Chico;

What the the top 5 things on each of your Nats Wish List? Mine are;

1. Draft and Sign Strasburg
2. Healthy Nick Johnson (ie 100+ starts)
3. Healthy Shawn Hill (ie 20+ starts)
4. Breakout seasons for ED, LM, JF & RZ
5. Emergence of Justin Maxwell as long term solution in Center Field

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Chico -you ought to check out the Panera there, as long as you are talking about Viera highlights.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear NJ is in Viera, but, please wrap his extremeties in bubblewrap.

Posted by: cokedispatch | February 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

How great would it be to have a healthy Nick and Dmitri?

Good list, estuartj. (Especially #1)

I'm so glad baseball is finally back.

Posted by: Sec_319 | February 10, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

my top 5:

1. for Zimmerman to do over 160 games what he did in the last 20 of last year (which would be 105 runs, 45 2b, 38! hr, 98 rbi, .290 avg)
2. health and serenity for Dukes
3. run support for Lannan
4. first pitch strikes from Cabrera
5. September call ups (Strasburg? Marrero? Detwiller?)

Posted by: sec307 | February 10, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Dmitri's condition is your most pressing question right now, Chico.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Matt Chico have a good showing this Spring. He was a plesent suprise two years ago.

Sign Strasburg
72 wins
At least one 15 game winner
Less then 15 players on the DL
A 35+ HR and 110 RBI player (ED or RZ?)

Posted by: Batboy05 | February 10, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

PECOTA released their projected final standing, Nats are 4th in the NL East with 77 wins, Baltimore BTW is projected to finish last in the AL east with 76 wins.

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

When is Boom-Boom arriving in Viera?

Posted by: natbisquit | February 10, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Chico - Dmitri is in better shape? Of course, he is. With diabetes, if he was in worse shape, he'd probably be dead.

But how much better shape? 300? 290? 275?

Posted by: comish4lif | February 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

let me just say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,
pre-emptively.

Not that I have anyone in mind. Nope.

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 10, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm also curious to see what each of you think a "Breakout Season" would be like for Elijah Dukes, Lastings Milledge, Jesus Flores and Ryan Zimmerman.

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

While I agree about DaMeat, Nicky was reported to be carrying some extra weight (I was going to say "carrying a few kilos" but thought better of it). How's he doing with that?

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 10, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

First of all, they promised us a more svelte Ray King last year. He had certainly lost weight, but "thin" was certainly a relative term there. I'd also like some sort of quantification of Dmitri's improved health status.

Secondly, let's just settle any-pitch strikes from Cabrera, so long as we're not talking about pitches that strike the opposing batter's noggin.

Finally, I suggest we not touch the whole "let's wrap up Nick's extremities" suggestion. This is a family blog.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 10, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Milledge: .300/20 hr/80 rbi/25 sb
Dukes: .290/25/90/25
Zimmerman: .310/30/110
Flores: .275/15/80

put that in the middle of the lineup with willingham and a healthy nick johnson and we'd be pretty good

Posted by: SpashCity | February 10, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

CevansJr, estuartj, or any BP subscriber - confession time. I'm too cheap to subscribe to BP. But I heard they have an hard to believe proejction for one Cristian Guzman. Please tell.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 10, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 10, 2009 2:32 PM

-----------

Ew.

Posted by: Good2bOK | February 10, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Were the Nats smart enough to put a clause in Young's contract about weight? If yes, Nats should have recovered lots of last year's payout.

But probably no, and Dimtri got to eat doughnuts after depositing his undeserving payroll checks.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | February 10, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the report, Chico. Will look forward to reading future ST items from you and the Bog (thanks to JiM for the Bog chat tip earlier).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I really get a bit tired of folks ripping on DY. We should wish him well especially after all he did for the team in 2007.

That said, I hope he has whatever demons that plagued him in 2008 behind him.

Posted by: twinbrook | February 10, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, a few things. First of all, thanks for all the blog and baseball site suggestions. Web editor Jon Denunzio says we should see the new interface within 24 hours or so.

Second, if you're interested, I just tacked on a little update w/r/t Durham.

Third, Dmitri. He apparently has lost some weight; that's all I was trying to convey. That, and he's been putting up with some demanding workouts with the Nats' training staff. You'll get the full DY health update once I'm down in Viera. Maybe I can take him out to Panera bread.

Posted by: chicoharlan | February 10, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what the average number of at bats each spot in the batting order averages per game over the season?

I'm curious exactly how sharp the drop off is between lead off, middle of the order and back end guys is? For instance, how many at bats over a season will the #1 vs #8 guys get and thus how much more valuable is a lead-off guy who say plays mediocre defense be vs a star defender who can't hit?

I guess another question along the same vane would be how many chances do various defensive positions get vs each other.

Thoughts?

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Chico -- when will you be down there? And I demand video footage of Dmitri and Nick the second you and your videographer touch down.

Posted by: erocks33 | February 10, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Chico, you better make sure to work hard to get Dmitri a low-carb option at Panera. Don't contribute to his demise!

Posted by: faNATic | February 10, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'd also like some sort of quantification of Dmitri's improved health status."

Remember, guys, Dmitri is only there on a minor league deal (albeit a very expensive one). He's not on the 40-man roster. It's doubtful he's even in the team's plans for first base this year, barring some sort of miraculous breakout. Thus his health is far from agenda item #1. If he shows up healthy and can play, it will be a nice bonus. Like when you stick your hand in the pocket of a pair of jeans you haven't worn for a while and find a twenty. Let Chico cover the important stories instead of demanding that he go Bob Woodward on Dmitri Young's status. Okay?

Posted by: nunof1 | February 10, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

When I left the Space Coast in '98, Viera was just a huge housing development with golf cart paths. Now it's turned into a full blown strip malled suburbia. Don't miss Charlie & Jakes when you're there--good BBQ, excellent sweet potato fries, and good local brew. Also, watch a night-time rocket launch from the beach.

Posted by: ramgut | February 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

STL picks 19 in this years draft so that is a pretty high price to pay for Orlando Hudson to replace Kennedy.

"maybe it's the midday sugar crash, but I'm lost. Care to elaborate?

**********
I think STL has also said that no way will they give us their first round pick this year, but don't quote me on that...

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 1:09 PM "

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

My 2009 wishlist -

1. Take baby steps towards making a franchise other than ours the joke of the league.

2. Release Kearns

3. Release WMP

4. Keep Matt Chico in the minors

5. Keep Dukes out of prison

7. Have Manny not reflexively pull a starting pitcher in the middle of a great outing with 2 on and 1 out in the 6th inning of a shutout.

8. Take steps toward making these outrageous stat projections for 2009 more plausible in 2010.

9. Somehow lose less than 100 games (closely tied to #'s 2-5)

Sorry, thats like 9 or 10 things but you can't stop at just 5 with this org

Posted by: RickFelt | February 10, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

nunof1, I don't think that's true. DY was signed to a minor league deal in '07, which was then purchased when he made the team out of ST. After that he signed a 2 year extension so he is on a major league deal and all his money is guaranteed.

I do however agree that he is not in their plans for 1B, if he can get healthy and contribute then great, but I think he and WMP are very much in the "show me what you got and we'll see what we can do" slot at ST. I would think neither is expected to make the club and the club isn't counting on either of them to contribute. I honestly on think WMP hasn't been DFA's because they don't need his spot on the 40 man roster - YET.

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"6. Publicly fire Clint during a 7th inning stretch during one of the 3 games I attend this year."

Get one of those T-shirt Gatling guns that Georgetown is using (as written up in Steinberg's Bog the other day), load it up, point it at Clint and fire. Now THERE'S a T-Shirt Tuesday!

Posted by: nunof1 | February 10, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"He was DFA's this winter, but he still gets his money. He is now a non-roster invitee since he's not on the 40 man roster, but that doens't affect his contract."

Which is exactly what I meant. He will be making a lot of money to play first base at Syracuse this year, if indeed he can even play. (In fact, don't they have the DH in the minors? That's what he'll probably be doing.) Anything more than that will be a totally unplanned for, huge, huge bonus.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 10, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Guz's projections for 2009 look ok.

Baseballnotebook.com has him at:
75RS - 10HR - 67RBI - 290/328/418

BaseballProspectus.com is even better:
87RS - 8HR - 70RBI - 323/361/455 (816 OPS!)

Posted by: comish4lif | February 10, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it wasted energy to construct a wish list that includes releasing people. Wouldn't a better wish list be:

1) Make good decisions
2) Great production from Kearns
3) Great production from WMP
4) Complete rehab for Matt Chico
5) Successful personal life for Elijah Dukes
6) Publicly fire Clint during a 7th inning stretch during one of the 3 games I attend this year.
7) Eradicate pitch counts
8)Continued improvement in 2010
9) Improve won-lost record

or at least try to be negative without being hateful.

Posted by: natbisquit | February 10, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The whole thing with Guz is his average. He gets on through hits. If his average is .290, then he is a #7 or #8 hitter. If he hits .310, then he can hit at the top of the order. But better still would be for Lastings to make the jump up to .350 OBP that he made in the second half permanent, and perhaps have the 2d baseman TBNL get on at a .350 clip. Then you could use that wonderful average around 6th, behind FotF, ED, and 1b to drive in baserunners.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Also, who does PECOTA say his comps are this year?

(OK, I promise to buy the book, too, when it is out, and the Hardball Times preseason book, too).

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I just realized I have another comment about the blog situation. Hope it's not too late to have any impact.

Why does NJ not show up in the list of blogs on Washington Post mobile? There's a ton of blogs, including the Sports Bog and (of course) Redskins Insider. But no Nationals Journal.

Come on, WaPo, make this one available to us on our Blackberries, too!

Posted by: shepdave2003 | February 10, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

BTW, my personal wish list:

1) Improve won/lost record by at least 22 games (81-81).
2) Have the least injurries in the majors
3) Have at least one player in the top 5 for Rookie of the year
4) Sign Strasburg
5) Score at least 1 run in every game.
6) Overcome a deficit after the 7th inning at least 10 times

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

FotF?

Help, anyone?

Posted by: OptimisticSkin | February 10, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Forgot 1;

Willingham .272/.368/.506 - .874ops

I'm not sure who to have as my 8th position player, Nick Johnson or Austin Kearns? Too depressing to contemplate...

Posted by: estuartj | February 10, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

5) Score at least 1 run in every game.

Isn't that a very difficult thing to do? I'm not talking about bottom feeders, not even champions can do that easily...

Posted by: swang30 | February 10, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

FotF = Face of the Franchise

(Ryan Zimmerman)

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 10, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

jca,

Thank you for the parenthetical clarification.

After all, I thought Elijah Dukes was the FotF.

Posted by: OptimisticSkin | February 10, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

FotF = Face of the Franchise. Your 3B?

Posted by: swang30 | February 10, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

according to Baseball Prospectus, we are projected to finish in 4th place in the NL East, with a record of 77-85.

thoughts?

Posted by: MrMadison | February 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ED = Mugshot of the Franchise?

Posted by: swang30 | February 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Who is projected to finish in 5th?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 10, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

4th place - are we supposed to beat Atlanta or Florida? I'm not sure I see either. Sure, Florida held a fire sale this year, but they didn't get any worse.

And Atlanta got younger, maybe they have something in 'em.

Posted by: swang30 | February 10, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Who is projected to finish in 5th?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 10, 2009 5:24 PM

florida. 74-88

one of the WNFFers shared the whole projections with us:

Posted by: MrMadison | February 10, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Florida finishes fifth in 2009 according to BP

Posted by: OptimisticSkin | February 10, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll play along - Personal wish list
1) Be able to hear Charlie & Dave for 162 games this year.
2) Have the team be relatively healthy for 2009.
3) See the team sign 65-70% (or more) of their draft picks in 2009, including the top 5 picks.
4) Hear that the minor-league franchises have won three League championships in 2009.
5) Entice RZimm to sign a 3-5 year deal by next December.

Everything else will take care of itself from there.

Posted by: BinM | February 10, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I cd never figure out where Viera began and Melbourne ended. For all the wisecracks we make about Viera, I was interested to see that the Vienna Piano Trio, which the Post described as about the best piano trio in the world when it played at the Natl Gallery in the fall, is playing Melbourne--actually today, as a matter of fact. And most of the time it plays big capital cities. So the Viera area is succeeding in getting some really good cultural stuff. And finally, I am getting pretty sick of the nasty remarks about Dmitri. There's my two cents.

Posted by: Section109 | February 10, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@109:
Are you sure that wasn't Melbourne, Australia on the schedule for the Vienna piano trio?

Posted by: BinM | February 10, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

nunof and estuartj,

re: Dmitri Young. He didn't factor into any of their plans because he hardly played at all last year and they didn't know if they could count on him.

It's immensely important if he's in shape because even if he's at his 07 weight, which was considerable, and health, he'd take a huge weight (pun intended) off the team's shoulders if Nick does get hurt.

I mean, please. Switch hitting power guy who can play 1st? That's what everyone's been screaming about signing for three months.

If Dmitri's in shape, it most certainly does matter.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 10, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut,

Great point about DY.

Any chance he can win CPoY twice?

That'd be nice

Posted by: OptimisticSkin | February 10, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Chico, your first mission upon arriving in Viera(if you aren't already there) is to take a picture of Dmitri Young, and post it on NJ, so we can see what kind of shape he is in.

Posted by: MrMadison | February 10, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

As far as individual players go, I tend to shy away from predictions there - I will dabble in position projections, however.
2009 baseline target
[BAvg/Slg%/OB%; RS,RBI]
C) .260/.375/.325; 50,80.
1B) .280/.405/.385; 80,95.
2B) .290/.400/.380; 95,70.
3B) .280/.445/.350; 80,105.
SS) .310/.410/.350; 95,65.
LF) .265/.375/.325; 85,65.
CF) .265/.395/.350; 100,85.
RF) .260/.400/.345; 90,85.

Posted by: BinM | February 10, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Sec 109 and BinM,

Not only did Melbourne FLORIDA get the Vienna Piano Trio this month, but they are getting the Guaneri Quartet next month.

This is like the Nats springing for Dunn. It's all possible.

Posted by: EdDC | February 10, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

For those of you not keeping track, here's a list of players scheduled to repoer to Viera on Feb. 14.
Catchers[6]: Javier Flores, Luke Montz, Wil Nieves; [non-roster]: Javi Herrera, Gustavo Molina, Javier Valentin.

Starting Pitchers [16]: Luis Atilano, Collin Balester, Jason Bergmann, Daniel Cabrera, Tyler Clippard, Ross Detwiler, Shawn Hill, John Lannan, Shairon Martis, Scott Olsen; [non-roster] Bobby Brownlie, Gustavo Chacin, Justin Jones, Odalis Perez, Josh Towers, Jordan Zimmerman.

Relief Pitchers [18]: Matt Chico, Marco Estrada, Joel Hanrahan, Mike Hinckley, Garrett Mock, Mike O'Conner, Saul Rivera, Steven Shell, Terrell Young; [non-roster] Jesus Colome, Gary Glover, Preston Larrison, Wil Ledezma, J.D. Martin, Jorge Sosa, Ryan Wagner.

Posted by: BinM | February 10, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

@EdDC:

Wow, culture & spring baseball, all within driving distance - who'da thunk?

Posted by: BinM | February 10, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut,

Great point about DY.

Any chance he can win CPoY twice?

That'd be nice

Posted by: OptimisticSkin | February 10, 2009 6:00 PM

_______________________________________________________

That's a scary proposition...if he does get CPoY, Jimbo may sign him to another two year extension at 8 million per, then DY may celebrate by taking a nation-wide tour of the AYCE restaurants...

Posted by: TimDz | February 10, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

>Luis Atilano, Collin Balester, Jason Bergmann, Daniel Cabrera, Tyler Clippard, Ross Detwiler, Shawn Hill, John Lannan, Shairon Martis

Man that's the definition of hot and cold right there. That's where the swing in the pitching staff will take place one way or the other, imo. They all have big league stuff when they're right. I don't think there's any question about that. Just need to get ahead in the count.

Posted by: Brue | February 10, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

@Brue:

Sorry, been reviewing Brian's latest on NFA.
Stone-cold Agreed. Add Olsen, and the questions become 1) who stays in the rotation, who holds onto a RP slot, 3) who goes to the minors, and 4) who gets DL'd or released?

Posted by: BinM | February 10, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

oooooh, i'm getting giddy*

*(squeals)

I'm serious Chico. You better be all rested up boy cuz you better report every last detail you can find. It's been a long winter and girl is hungry.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 10, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I just saw the Post's online discussion schedule for tomorrow. THE Jamie Moyer is hosting a discussion. Kind of an odd choice (for both parties), but hey, it's two baseball discussions in a day so I'm not complaining.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 10, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

haha, NatsNut, it looks like you have officially returned from hibernation. Good to have you back an' at it girl!

Baseball wise, who do we want to place our bets on as 1B emerging from ST? I'd love to say Nick, but I don't know that I can assume that...

Posted by: NattyDelite | February 11, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

It's good to hear talk about Dmitri and Nick. All the best to both of them!

Either one of them could make a serious run at comeback player of the year --- though I've always wondered whether that broken fibula was career-ending.

Bob Dylan (when asked about an attempted comeback): "I've already done that".

Posted by: nattydread1 | February 11, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Richie Sexson 500:1
Doug Mientkiewicz 750:1
Daric Barton 1000:1
Kory Casto 5000:1

Posted by: natbisquit | February 11, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

@natsbisquit

[Isn't it wasted energy to construct a wish list that includes releasing people.]

Technically all of this is wasted energy, but I'll play along.

2. Give Kearns ample time to whittle down his handicap.

3. Give WMP ample time to whittle down his handicap.

4. Give Chico a head start on his minor league coaching career.

Better?

Posted by: RickFelt | February 11, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

1) Cut Kearns, WMP, Da meat.
2) Elevate Justin Maxwell and give him a first basemans mit for when Nick gets hurt.
3) Fire Jim Bowden - Let Stan pick the GM.
4) reduce all tickets in the stadium to less than $25.
5) Pay to get out of the MASN and WFED contracts and get on CSN and WTEM.

Posted by: 6thandD | February 11, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Quite a fine list being compliled, so I will just add one:

1) Teddy Segway-jacks (using no weapon of course) Bowden, who resigns as he can no longer scoot to Georgetown looking for leather pants and get back to Nats Park in time to sign a "left-handed slugger", and then Teddy uses said Segway to finally wins a race.

Posted by: jfromPG | February 11, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Felt, you are just a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. Spare us your malevolence please if that's all you have to offer.

My wish list:

10. Dmitri's health is truly better
09. Hanrahan goes 32 of 37 save attempts
08. The Saint blesses Cabrera
07. AHernandez keeps it going at 2B
06. NJ is Comeback Player of the Year
05. No rainouts!
04. Doubleheaders come back so we're not playing Baseball after Thanksgiving.
03. Steroid nonsense stays away from the Nats
02. The minors continue getting better
01. We do better than 2-15 against Florida this year.

Posted by: dand187 | February 11, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Wow, NatsBisquit - Casto going off at longer odds than than unsigned guys and guys in camp or on the roster of other teams.

I wonder about Eldred. At one time, he was highly thought of in the minors. Look at Nelson Cruz if you want hope. Maybe let him smoke at Syracuse, then get a call up when we trade Dmitri and Nick in July.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 11, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I'll bite. My wish list:

5. Overall team health, especially for Nick Johnson
4. Randy St. Clair does his thing and gets Cabrera some control.
3. A. Dunn in our lineup hitting 4th.
2. At least 75 wins.
1. Draft and SIGN Strasburg.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 11, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so it looks like the FA market is starting to pick back up.

Angels signed Abreu, and there is a report saying that the Dodgers will make a big "splash" and sign Manny and O.Hudson.

The Mariners are setting their sights on Griffey and Garrett Anderson.

I guess that only leaves Adam Dunn with possibly only one offer on the table which is from the Nats......

Posted by: FloresFan | February 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Oops, forgot to mention that I got all this information from MLBtraderumors.com

Posted by: FloresFan | February 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse