Waiting, waiting...

The Fire Jim Bowden blog describes the times we're living as "sitting Shiva with Jim Bowden" and that's a pretty good way of putting it. Are you allowed to read while sitting shiva? Probably not, but what the heck. Here are some things that caught my rather bleary eye this morning.

What's former Nat Felipe Lopez up to? Bunting.

The Manny-Dodgers contretemps is apparently due to deferred money, says the LA Times. (Caution: Not a story for the faint of heart or the recently laid off.)

Jayson Werth has yet to play for the world champion Phillies, but he's completely healthy, says his manager.

Stop me if you're heard this, but Kerry Wood has a sore back.

This is old, but funny, because it's true, and it's about our old pal Jose Guillen. (Sorry, should have spotted this one sooner.)

Tonight at 9 p.m., MLB Network will broadcast a one-hour original production called "Josh Hamilton: Resurrecting the Dream," a look at Hamilton's return from drug addiction to baseball. (I still say you can't do better than reading Dave Sheinin's excellent piece on the topic, but I'm sure this will be good, too.)

Monday at 9, MLB Network will debut "We Are Young: A Baseball Family," the story of Dmitri and Delmon Young. I'm sure both programs will air often in repeats.

(Sorry this is so close on the heels of the previous post, but that one was supposed to be up at 7 a.m. to greet you all like the sun in the east. Rats.)

By Tracee Hamilton  |  February 27, 2009; 10:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GMs, Pitchers, Lineups
Next: Over The Hill

Comments

Thanks, Tracee.

One more important thing to add to your lineup: Saturday night at 8pm, the MLB Network 30 Clubs in 30 Days program will be covering the Nats. That's a full hour devoted just to our team. It should be interesting...

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | February 27, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Wow, thanks for all the goodies. Will have to check some of them out later.

Re. the first link, I would think that it would be more Schadenfreude than Shiva in that particular case.

The third link doesn't seem to be live, BTW.

Thanks, too, for the heads up on the MLB Network programming. I was planning to watch the Hamilton special and agree that Sheinin's piece was awesome. There was also a piece in one of the baseball preview magazines this year. Can't remember which one at the moment. Hope to see the Young program, too. It didn't air as scheduled at an earlier date.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Ooh, good call, CiL. I have the Nats program on my calendar but forgot to point that out. If I recall correctly, it's scheduled to air several times over the weekend.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

eeewww, I'm sorry I read the Guillen item...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

In that D-Backs story, new Arizona leadoff hitter FLop sez: "And anything can happen when I'm on the bases."

Gee, FLop, we really wouldn't know.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | February 27, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Jon DeNunzio,
The new baseball landing page does look good. I noticed on the "Sports" drop down box at the top that it still lists the two (Nationals and MLB) separately. Each link goes to the same place, but will you still keep the two separate there?

Posted by: NatsNut | February 27, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, CiL, sorry I missed that. And I fixed the Manny link. I expect to get this blog thing down by, say, October.

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | February 27, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The Sheinin piece should be required reading. It made me a Hamilton fan before I ever saw him play.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 27, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Sheinin, he has a grab-bag post that includes a Strasburg item over on the Baseball Insider.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Daggone it - looks like they yanked the Young show again, at least from what's on the MLB Network site schedule today.

On the plus side, the Hamilton and Nats 30/30 shows are still slated to be broadcast.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Man, I got a little lightheaded reading that Guillen story.

Phew.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 27, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

And re-reading about Pie sure didn't help!

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 27, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Fire Jim Bowden has so much schadenfreude in him that it's like he's a schizophrenic and one of his multiple personalities is taking joy in the suffering his other personalities have to undergo by not being able to exist full-time to rejoice in the suffering of Jim Bowden. He fairly well exploded in joy the other day when some "trusted source" fed him the false rumor that Bowden was going to be replaced with Tony LaCava. How high is he going to blow whenever Bowden actually does get fired? Somebody better alert his neighbors that they're living next to a manhole cover!

Posted by: nunof1 | February 27, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Jon DeNunzio,

Posted by: NatsNut | February 27, 2009 11:04 AM

----

Yes. That will be consolidated soon, along with the Wizards/NBA, Caps/ NHL, etc. thanks.

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | February 27, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

No need to apologize for multiple posts. You have a tough standard to reach if you're going to match Goff on the Soccer Insider.

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the feedback and kind words! Answering some questions raised in comments on previous post:

- TV/radio listings in schedule. Good idea. The page we link to is done by Stats LLC and is basically now extra work for us at TWP; will have to weigh the costs. If we stick with that sked, we will make sure to make the TV/radio info easy to find elsewhere.
- Blog on mobile -- no prob getting it up there. I will look into comments. I do not think our mobile platform is there yet, but we want it to be.
- 3 inches of "unused space" -- Are you referring to the space where ads run? We need that!
- Columnists ... in the past, columns by Boz and others lingered on the page too long at times. We think we will call the related columns out, but not leave them up for weeks at a time if there's nothing new. Hopefully you'll be able to find the fresh stuff easily.

Thanks again. Lemme know if you have other questions.

Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | February 27, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Jon DeNunzio,

Can you PLEASE do something to make blackberry users able to post on the blogs?

Anything else you can do to make navigation better from a blackberry would also be greatly appreciated. It isn't too bad reading the Nationals Journal, but reading any articles from a mobile device is so tedius I normally pass on any links.

Thanks,
EStuartJ

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@runof1--I have no idea. I'm a little worried myself!

Posted by: sbiel2 | February 27, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I have a sneaking suspicion, based on nothing but my own intuition, that Mark Lerner's is trying to protect JimBow's job, but his future.

I'm betting that almost everyone in the ownership is on board for a change, but Mark Lerner is dragging his feet because he believes that to fire Jim Bowden now, with all these vague references to investigations that may or may not be of JimBow or of anything he has done, would end his career period and it would be irresponsible and immoral for the organization to destroy a man who (IMO) is guilty of nothing more than putting too much trust in an old friend.

I can see Mark Lerner's stance thus "I don't disagree that his tenure has been sub-standard and that a change needs to be made, but if we thrown him under the bus now and he is exhonorated, what does it say about us as owners that we allowed a loyal subordinate to by lynched to appease the mob. We have a moral duty to due right by a man who has done his level best to build this team. If he must go it has to be in a way to protect his honor and ours."

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Technically, you don't "sit shiva" until the individual has died.

Posted by: comish4lif | February 27, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

EStuartJ:

Do you use www.twp.com on your Blackberry? I do, and the articles are easy to read ...

Jon (I have a BB Curve, if that matters)

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | February 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

That is a lot easier to work through, thanks!

Now about that posting on NJ from my blackberry....

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Here's the word from our mobile guru on comments:

"It is something we want to offer, but it is not available today."

Hopefully we get it relatively soon. I feel your pain here.

Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | February 27, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

OK, back to baseball (with first pitch about 8 minutes away), does today's line-up match pretty closely with everyone elses expectation for what a line-up without NJ (traded or hurt) would look like for interleague play?

I'm hoping that Milledge can play himself into the leadoff role sometime this season and I'm thinking that if Nick IS in the line-up that Dukes would make an ideal #2 with Guzman hitting 6th or 7th depending on how Flores does and who is playing 2nd base (I have Belliard to start the season, but Hernandez taking the role if Belliard is traded or if Dunn/Willingham are playing first base instead of Nick).

I have a tough time imagining DY making the team, but if NJ is down it gives him an opening, but with NJ on the roster DY's role is filled by Willingham as PH/1B backup and flexibility to play the OF if Dunn is out, resting or playing 1B.

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Jon, please by opening day or I might go completely insane. One of my favorite passtime is watching the game while discussing the goings on with my fellow NJers.

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I just can't understand all the hubbub. I think Bowden has done a great job since being GM. Kasten I could argue has done a very poor job as President. I also don't see this as a huge embarrasment for the Nats. Does it stink? Yes. Should it not have happened? Probably. But it really is more of a baseball problem than a Nat only problem. Seems like they are blowing this story a little out of proportion (Boz) like they did with the Zimmerman story.

Posted by: brothbart | February 27, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Right, what ESJ said. We need to be able to post live from the park.

Posted by: BobLHead | February 27, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm dim, but I just cannot find the NJ on the mobile Post site on my BlackBerry. How to I navigate to it?

From the start page, I'm scrolling down to Blogs, and I see some blog titles that include the DC Sport Bog and Redskins Insider, but nothing about baseball. My7 luck is no better if I click "More Blogs."

Yes, I'm on www.twp.com. Help!?!

Posted by: shepdave2003 | February 27, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"It is something we want to offer, but it is not available today."

Sounds like what Kasten probably said the last time Boswell asked him when the Nats will start winning.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 27, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I know it means less than nothing, but the nats starters have combined for a 9 inning no hitter thus far this spring.

Somehow I don't think that will last through Olsen & Cabrera...

Posted by: estuartj | February 27, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Brothbart....

Bowden's Nats lost 102 games last year. That's a good job? I think the reason that the Nats may be thinking if firing him is that he has the stink on him from the DR. Either he should be fired because he knew about it - or he should be fired because this happened right under his nose.

What has Kasten done to get you in a firing mode?

Posted by: comish4lif | February 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Estu, why the lust for Dukes batting in the 2 hole? The guy has 30 HR power and you want him moving the runner over? Not gonna happen.

Dukes is going to have a hard time getting on the field as the Nats have 9 Million reasons for Kearns to play.

As to Bowden's responsibility for the 102 losses, not to say he does not have significant responsibility but he did not swing a bat or throw a pitch, and the Mariners and Tigers (both spending more than double the money) were expected to contend and they were almost as bad. Unless he is implicated in some skimming scheme, he should get the chance to run out this season to see if the pieces he assembled come together.

Am I the only one that is sick of Josh Hamilton's story of conquerring drug addiction? Enough already.

Posted by: dfh123 | February 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

They lost 102 games last year due to injuries. Of course you are going to have injuries and you can expect Johnson to be on that list. However to think you are going to loose Zimmerman, Dukes, Milledge, Pena, Flores, Kearns, Young, Belliard, etc is not realistic. It was a tough year. However, Bowden has done more good than bad. Kasten hasn't really shown me anything. The marketing of this team is horrible. I just think Kasten should get more of the blame for other things regarding this team.

Posted by: brothbart | February 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

dfh123 - On Estu's point about batting Dukes #2. The idea is not to have him do the sissy slap and bunt stuff historic NL #2 hitters do. The idea is to get him to see more fastballs when Milledge is on in front of him. Let him drive the ball, and that will get the run into scoring position, if not in. It's kind of a stat geek idea (see Fangraphs last week for an article on this). Also Dukes averages at least 1/2 pitch more per AB than Guzman, so the idea is to grind up pitchers. That's more AL style than NL style, perhaps, but since when is that so bad?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, Duke's much more of a threat to steal than Guz at this point in his career. That's 3 reasons, or 4 if you think you want Dukes to get more at bats than he can batting 5th or 6th.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the Lerners had to fire Kasten and the Acta fella ..and bring to new guys to work with Jim .

But rear end kissing won at the end , but who loses is the team later on .

They threw Bowden under the bus after all the hard work he did , why cause he is a you know what Kisser .

Oriole farm 76 , Renny Felson

Posted by: godwetrust2001 | March 5, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Jim Bowden is not a you know what Kisser .
The acta fella , Rizzo all those guys for exception of Boone , are all rear end kissers.

Renny Felson