The Unpredictable, Pain-Free, Kind-Of-Forgotten Shawn Hill

At least in baseball, February is the month for could-bes. It's the month when every pitcher's season belongs only to the imagination, and it's the month where you think about a pitcher like Shawn Hill and wonder what might happen if, somehow, everything finally breaks just right. He could be the guy who develops only after he's seemingly been forgotten. He could be the best sort of revelation, like that dollar you pull from your pocket after a wash cycle.

Three months from now, Hill could be an essential (and pain-free) member of the Nats' starting rotation. On the other hand, he could be looking for a job. Or still looking to uncover the root of his unexplained forearm/elbow pain.

For now, Hill says he's pain-free. Down in Viera, Fla. -- both his hometown and the Nats' spring training site -- Hill today threw a bullpen session, the latest step in his recovery from September arthroscopic surgery. He threw about 35 pitches -- a mix of fastballs, curves and change-ups. His fastball was in the low- to mid-80s, a velocity he intends to increase in the upcoming weeks. He needed some time to get the blood flowing and feel loose, but most important, Hill's right arm felt good. Last year, he could never say that.

"I'm not going 100-percent balls-to-the-wall at this point," Hill said, "but I'm feeling pretty good at this point."

Of course, to understand the unpredictability of Hill's present comeback attempt, you have to examine the context -- and the devolution of his 2008 season.

A year ago, the Nats looked at Hill as a top-of-the-rotation starter. Forearm pain caused an early-season DL trip. He made his first start April 19. Sometimes he fought through the forearm pain and pitched OK. Sometimes he felt elbow pain, too. Sometimes, under the spell of either/both ailments, he struggled to keep it together. He got shelled in three mid-June starts and, after that, was shut down for the season. With that, Hill, once a prospect, became a reclamation project. His final numbers: (1-5, 12 GS, 63-1/3 IP, 5.83 ERA, one Dr. James Andrews surgery.)

Much is at stake for Hill this spring training, then. He must 1.) prove he's finally healthy and 2.) reclaim his spot in the Washington rotation. Speaking by phone today, Hill expressed confidence he can do both.

"I'm thinking that if I'm healthy, I should have my spot in the rotation no problem. If I go in and feel fine, everything else will take care of itself."

As of right now, Washington's rotation features John Lannan, Scott Olsen and Daniel Cabrera. Youngsters Collin Balester and Jordan Zimmermann have the inside shot at the last two spots. Hill has to steal one of those. For now, he said, nobody in the organization has suggested a potential role in the bullpen.

Hill's goals for the season, then?

"Easy enough. Stay healthy. Everyone always says what I'm capable and all that stuff, but that doesn't mean anything if you're not healthy you can't prove it."

When Hill imagines his perfect season, he thinks of the benchmarks of durability -- 200 innings, perhaps, or 35 starts. But neither, he allows, is realistic. Even if he's healthy and going strong, Hill guessed that the team probably won't allow him to pitch more than 160 innings this year -- "if that," he added.

"But my goal is go out there every start and force the issue," Hill said. "I know I have something I need to prove, to everybody including myself. That, one, I can stay healthy and, two, I can put up the numbers."

By Chico Harlan  |  February 2, 2009; 7:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: The Bullpen
Next: Arbitration, Free Agents

Comments

Welcome back, Chico.

Posted by: ramgut | February 2, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

In the memorable words of Dr. Victor Frankenstein, "it's alive... IT'S ALIVE!"

That could reference both S.Hill & our roaming 'dead-beat' reporter Harlan. If Shaun can hold up for 20+ starts & 150+ IP in 2009, I'd consider both the surgery & the season a success. Pencil him in as the #5SP coming out of Viera, if all goes well.

Posted by: BinM | February 2, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

O, c'mon - Chico gave us ehad sup about going on assignment, and now we knwo what his assingemnt was - to check in on what some of our injured are doing. Good job! This is what we want!

(I'll collect the beer at the next Nat's Journal fest)

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 2, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I've got to proofread - "ehad sup" - that sounds like a phrase from Genesis. Heads up!

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 2, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Chico.

Would be super if Hill could force the issue, as he says, and stay healthy.

Is "ehad sup" the sound that one makes after consuming too many Nats Journal fest beers?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 2, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, what about the souvenirs?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 2, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Who will start more games this year, Shawn Hill or Nick Johnson?

If Shawn starts 20 games and Nick starts 100....man what a dream that would be.

Give me that and a healthy Zim, Milledge, Duke and Flores and I'll show you 82 wins.

Posted by: estuartj | February 2, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

and yet, I went right past "ehad sup" and "knwo" without missing a hemisemidemiquaver.

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 2, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Bless his heart, I wish Hill all the best, but how many chronically injured pitchers who just stop getting hurt one day can you think of?

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 2, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I mean, not during the 90s.

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 2, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@jca:

Tapping into the cask a bit early? That's ok, we all speak the same language here.

Posted by: BinM | February 2, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

@CEJ:

If S. Hill thinks he's even reasonably healthy, just get him to sign an agreement for 2009 ($475k, plus a $525k club option + incentives). If he proves healthy, great - It's a $1M+ deal - if he breaks down, $475k out-of-pocket for the Nationals - chump change for a ML club.

Posted by: BinM | February 2, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

At the rate the WaPo is posting reports on the Nationals' injured players, maybe those of us in the blogosphere will know how players like Matt Chico are doing by the trading deadline in 2009.

Posted by: BinM | February 2, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Signs your team sucks, No. 378: The fans actually give a crap about Matt Chico's injury status.

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | February 2, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say this, I really do, but...Doesn't this sound a bit like the Vexin' Texan from last year? Feels great going into the spring, and then waived before opening day. I hope the comparison ends at: feels great going into the spring.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | February 2, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

@UncleTeddy:

Yeah, that's about right...

Posted by: BinM | February 2, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Sign number 377 is when you find out the most talented pitcher on your roster is healthy and you piss all over it.

Posted by: estuartj | February 2, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, THAT certainly brought the conversation to a screeching close.

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 2, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

The two Nationals' pitchers with the nastiest stuff?
1)Shawn Hill
2)John Patterson

Attention all naysayers: Think a rotation of Scott Olsen, John Lannan, one of Cabrera, Balester, Zimmermann and a healthy Hill and Patterson wouldn't be a coveted rotation?

Sigh... if only what could have been was ...

Posted by: rushfari | February 2, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for S. Hill and I'd love to see him start the year in the rotation. That would allow the team to let one of the kids stay and develop in the minors. I have my fingers crossed because we all know he can pitch in the majors. Last year was a disaster injury wise, if the Nats could only catch a break we might actually be semi-respectable in 2009. (Less than .500 but after last year 70+ wins would look pretty good to me.)

Posted by: grforbes | February 2, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed, Mr. Hill. Godspeed.

Posted by: TheBorg | February 2, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Nats playing in the Carribbean Series:

Tigres Del Licey(Dominican Republic):
Anderson Hernandez - INF
Ronnie Belliard - INF
Jorge Sosa - P

Leones de Ponce(Puerto Rico):
Jorge Padilla - OF

interesting notes: Hernandez came in 2nd in MVP Voting for the Dominican Winter League, while Jorge Padilla actually won the MVP Award for the Puerto Rican Winter League.

Posted by: MrMadison | February 2, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Pitchers with arm trouble cause more heartache for people like me than even NJ's injuries. Gawd, Patterson looked so good in '05. And how good has Hill looked, numerous times? (And don't get me started on the uninjured teaser/head case, Jason Bergmann). The watchword is: Don't get your hopes up. At least not too far.

Posted by: nats24 | February 3, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Sign me up for the Shawn Hill --- Nick Johnson bandwagon. Miracles do happen.

Posted by: nattydread1 | February 3, 2009 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Sign me up as a nay-sayer and a dreamer. That's the great thing about pitching. There a five of them which means that as some point someone is going to go down and need replacing. We could sign Wolf or Sheets (if they'd come) pull for Hill to be healthy and Bergman to get his head straight and for young pitching to develop all at the same time. There are a lot of innings to be pitched in a baseball season. If Mike Bacsik has taught us anything it is that in the long span of a Washington season, everyone will get their shot.

Also, he may not have been the greatest pitcher but I'd like to send a little tip of the hat to Mike. He worked his backside off and was a lot of fun. I hope he continues to find a job in baseball.

Posted by: soundbloke | February 3, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

apparently Orlando Hudson does have an offer on the table from the Nats, but is probably shopping it around to see if he can get a better deal.

he was on Hot Stove last night talking about the teams interested in him.

and this tidbit from the LA Times, via MLBTR:

---------------
Hernandez lists the New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Washington Nationals as teams that are monitoring Ramirez' market.
--------------

Posted by: MrMadison | February 3, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section314 | February 3, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I like Ronnie Belliard. I'm a fan. But it always seems to me that Ronnie's on field demeanor for the Caribean games is a bit more lively and joyous than what we get to see here in Washington. Perhaps it is the difference between home country and the USA or fun league versus profession, or regular games versus playoff games, or all of the above. Here in the US he seems somewhat more reserved, less spirited. I suppose that is natural - to be more at ease at home.

Back in 2005 with Livon Hernandez, Estebon Loaiza, Carlos Baerga, Luis Ayala, Jose Guillen, Christian Guzman, Vinny Castilla, Jose Vidro, Wil Cordero, and several other latin players there was a different feel to the team. Maybe ethnicity had nothing to do with it. Maybe it was just the new team in a new town excitement. But I do think that the festival atmosphere of Caribean baseball is a wonderful thing.

Posted by: natbisquit | February 3, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

The Caribbean Series music is like "all Wil Nieves, all the time." Watching last night, I found myself imagining how Charlie and Dave would dance to it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 3, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"I suppose that is natural - to be more at ease at home."

Ronnie Belliard was born in the Bronx. He's a long way from home in this Caribbean Series.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 3, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Well in that case, I suppose its natural to be more at ease in the Caribean. I know I would be.

Posted by: natbisquit | February 3, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

natsbisquit,

In regards to Belliard being more animated in the tropics and '05--nothing lubricates the spirit of the clubhouse like winning. The exception to this of course is if you are a member of the New York Mets in August, then no matter how many games you have won so far you have this omnipresent dark shadow lurking in your clubhouse, whispering in your ear "You are still losers...."

Posted by: driley | February 3, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"BinM: Hill has been offered arbitration. If the team wins, he gets $500k, as I recollect, if he wins he gets $750k. No need to waste the Lerner's money with million dollar contracts for sore armed pitchers!"

Nothing says Lerners like going to arbitration over $125K. I hear that players really like hearing how they're not worth the money.

Posted by: jctichen | February 3, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

A healthy Shawn Hill, would really help this club. God Bless him but, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 3, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nunof1 | February 3, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

and I believe that Hill made $400K last year. The Nats offered up a 25% increase for a pitcher that played 1/3 of a season. Hill asked for $750K, an 87.5% increase. I don't see how anyone could accuse the Lerners of being cheap in this case.

FWIW, I think they will settle somewhere in the middle ($600K) before it goes to arbitration.

Posted by: erocks33 | February 3, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Not to take sides on the Lerners issue, I think jctichen quoted $125K because typically you can avoid arbitration at the last minute by agreeing to split the difference. The inference is that if the team offered $625K, then Hill would sign, thus the $125K difference.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | February 3, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

>1:33am: Ramirez has turned down the Dodgers' one-year offer, Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports.

COME ON TED GET IN THERE MAKE MAN-NY HAP-PY DO IT FOR THE KIDS TED!!!! DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh Man-ny you krazy kool mad skills madman get in there

Fwiw - I read somewhere that the Mets are afraid of Man-ny and his antics. And then there were two!!!

Posted by: Brue | February 3, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It's still early, but this may be the post of the day (at least I chuckled):

"[N]othing lubricates the spirit of the clubhouse like winning. The exception to this of course is if you are a member of the New York Mets in August, then no matter how many games you have won so far you have this omnipresent dark shadow lurking in your clubhouse, whispering in your ear 'You are still losers....'

Posted by: driley | February 3, 2009 9:33 AM"

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | February 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I will be shocked if the Nats sign Manny. Talk about blowing "The Plan" out of the water.

A 36 year old head case is not what this team needs. He is a talented hitter but, he is not worth all the baggage that comes with that.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 3, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"A 36 year old head case is not what this team needs."

Just because he can play head games with the best of them does not make him a head case. A year or two or three of Manny would do wonders for this team.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 3, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"Nothing says phoning in an automatic reflexive Lerners are cheap shot like not even bothering to get the numbers right. They're going to arbitration over $250K, not $125K."

It's called splitting the difference. What clubs and players do.

Posted by: jctichen | February 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"A 36 year old head case is not what this team needs."

As opposed to all the 23/24 year-old head cases the Nats have signed the past couple of years??

(and please note, this is supposed to be a sarcastic response and not a personal one)

Posted by: erocks33 | February 3, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

SI reports that the Nats have made an offer to Dunn (details not inclosed), but that Dunn has been sitting on the offer for quite awhile hoping for a better one from the Dodgers:

Posted by: erocks33 | February 3, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The O's a making some moves

Posted by: jctichen | February 3, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I say the Lerners should go 3 years / $70 mil, for Manny.

If we offer 2/50 (5 mil over what he turned down from the Dodgers) plus the $18.5 mil that will go off the books next year (by losing Kearns, Johnson and Young) over another year brings the offer to 3/68.5. Toss in an extra 1.5 to make the number sexy and you get 3/70.

I don't believe Manny will be good for more than two years, but I don't believe anything shy of that will bring him here. If they could get him for 2 yrs/ $60 mil, I'd be for that too.

Who cares if he's a head case - he's the best damn hitter in baseball and one of the all time greats. Not to mention a box office draw. The Nats will make money off of signing Manny, so they should do whatever it takes to bring him here.

The "Plan" should be fielding a respectable major league ballclub that people actually care about. Signing Manny does that.

Posted by: sec307 | February 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I feel a lot better knowing that the Lerners have at least made an offer to Dunn. If he is ignoring the offer, there is not much to be done. It is another slap in the face, but the Nats should not start bidding against themselves to get his attention.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | February 3, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The thing that would worry me if Manny did sign with the Nats is the effect he would have on the players that the FO have decided are risky, but young and worth an investment. If these kids, who are in a profession where arrogance is the rule, see up close a talented guy who has gotten to do whatever he wanted for his entire career because of his bat and the money he brings in, who knows what will happen. I think Manny being Manny could very well lead to Lastings being Manny, or Dukes being Manny, or Olsen being Manny, or whatever, five years down the line, and a team of cocky bunglers isn't what I'd like to see.

Posted by: AAANatsinRVA | February 3, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Manny is a huge prima donna. If he is not motivated he sulks.
He is used to being in the thick of the playoff race, when this team is out of it in July, how motivated do you think he will be?

That being said, I won't complain to loud because he is a talent that can help this ball club. More importantly, it would also show that the Lerner's will pull some money out of the matress to sign someone.

I just don't think he fits into "The Plan" that hear about non stop.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 3, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"It is another slap in the face, but the Nats should not start bidding against themselves to get his attention."

Right. They should start bidding against themselves to get Manny's attention instead.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Both Kasten and Bowden have mentioned that they know they have to pay a loser's premium to get free agents to come here. With that in mind, it would seem logical to expect that the offers both Hudson and Dunn have sitting in front of them include just such a premium (maybe more years, higher aav, whatever).

With that said, it is more than a little disconcerting that neither seems willing to take the plunge. It seems to me that each of them is willing to take whatever another team offers to avoid coming here.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | February 3, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If 'Lastings being Manny' means he hits .330/30hr/120rbi, I'll take it everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Posted by: sec307 | February 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

>The thing that would worry me if Manny did sign with the Nats is the effect he would have on the players

Listen, if you can't learn how to hit by watching Man-ny show up early and watch tape, you can't learn from anybody. Lenny Harris said himself that he tried for the longest time to get Milledge into the film room, and when he finally did at the end of the year he hit better. The young guys become complacent and arrogant when there's no one that they respect around them. They're like teenagers - if they don't respect you, they're not going to listen or pay attention. You think that Dmitri is a good role model? He's a drunk, a diabetic, and he's fat. And he was all of those things before they signed him. On the other hand, Man-ny is just great. He was straight up in Boston for seven full years before he had a meltdown. Get over it. This isn't boy scouts. Professional sports never was.

Posted by: Brue | February 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

So now due to Manny being greedy ... errr, I mean Manny being Manny, the Dodgers are rumored to be pursuing Dunn and Hudson as a package deal.

No direct reference to the Nats in the story, but of course it would end the waiting for Dunn and Hudson to make up their minds.

I would root for Manny as a National if he behaved well, but I don't particularly want to root for Manny. If we miss out on Dunn and Hudson (Dunnudson), I say try for a trade, but pass on significant free agents. Maybe sign Andruw Joens for a try out. If he goes 2-4 in the Opener, trade him for a prospect.

Posted by: natbisquit | February 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, I'm not sure other hitters would show up in the film room with Lenny Harris either. Some of that might have been the students, but some of that was absolutely the teacher.

Posted by: natbisquit | February 3, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natbisquit | February 3, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Could signing Manny work with the Plan? Maybe. Here's how:

Nats sign Ramirez to a one (or two?)-year deal on the cheap. Of course, "on the cheap" is relative. It would have to be lower than Manny is expecting (obviously), but also hopefully somewhat lower than, say, December market expectations. Obviously it would be a larger contract than what LA is offering, perhaps significantly larger considering the fact that the Nats are terrible.

Then Manny tears it up. The FO makes clear to both Ramirez and Boras that his performance and attitude are keys to him landing in a better location at the trade deadline, hopefully mitigating "Manny being Manny" concerns. The clubhouse gets to see a true MLB slugger in action, butts are in seats, and maybe the Nats end up on SportsCenter every now and then.

Then, at the deadline, he's moved for a prospect or two. By that time, hopefully baseball economics are different and Manny's salary seems like a steal. He's been playing nice for a few months, he's healthy, and he's hitting.

Or, not as good but still perhaps palatable, Manny walks after a season and the Nats get a compensation pick, making Manny our new Soriano.

It's not what I would do. But hey, I don't wear the leather pants in this family.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 3, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

so lemme get this straight:

those horrible cheap Lerners have had offers out to both Dunn and Hudson now?

and they've both been sitting on them/shopping them around to see if other teams will match?

those terrible, terrible Lerners.....

Posted by: MrMadison | February 3, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

For that matter, he's not a drunk. He's a recovering alcoholic. There's a very serious difference, and it's one of the reasons he was CPOY in 2007. I think he's earned the distinction.

He is fat, though. I'll give you that one.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 3, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

from Jon Heyman's article, quoted in MLBTR:

------------
Dunn could still wind up in Washington,

but the Nationals' offer has sat there so long

he's sent a clear message he'd prefer to go elsewhere.
-------------

i seperated the sentence, just to emphasize the middle phrase there.

this isn't a case of "oh they just decided to try and spend some money".

Posted by: MrMadison | February 3, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

>those terrible, terrible Lerners.....

Yeah it's just a coincidence that they own the worst team in the league.

Posted by: Brue | February 3, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

>...and what does being a diabetic have to do with whether you are a good role model?

When you've been known to get up into the 350-400 lb. range, and you're a professional baseball player, you're not a good role model. It's one thing when the fat bastid in the cubicle next to you weighs that much, but not when you pay money to see someone like that play.

Posted by: Brue | February 3, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

that would be the NY press...
******************
[N]othing lubricates the spirit of the clubhouse like winning. The exception to this, of course, is if you are a member of the New York Mets in August--then, no matter how many games you have won so far, you have this omnipresent dark shadow lurking in your clubhouse, whispering in your ear 'You are still losers ...'
Posted by: driley | February 3, 2009 9:33 AM"

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 3, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyone can contribute, even if it's as a cautionary example.

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 3, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, Hill does have a new training staff and a new MD going for him this time.

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Bowden would like to sign Manny, the way I'd like to drive one of those Tesla roadsters--way cool, totally impractical, and never gonna happen.

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 3, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Brue

My fear with Manny is that he want's to compete for the World Series. When the Red Sox fell out of contention he go bored and feigned injury. He even limped on the wrong leg once. I don't care about character so much but, if he shuts himself down for us he becomes a very expensive hood ornament.

Posted by: soundbloke | February 3, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"When you've been known to get up into the 350-400 lb. range, and you're a professional baseball player, you're not a good role model."

Tell that to Prince Fielder then. He's every bit as big as Dmitri Young. I know that because I saw them standing right next to each other last Memorial Day Weekend at Nationals Park every time one of them got on and the other one was playing first. You've got to wonder how big Fielder will be when he gets to be Dmitri's age.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"When the Red Sox fell out of contention he go bored and feigned injury."

Whatever Manny may have done last season in Boston, it had nothing to do with whether or not the Red Sox were in contention and everything to do with his contract. He was trying to work his way out of those two option years the Red Sox were holding over him.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 3, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

This is not last season. This is the last 6 seasons. He is known in Boston for shutting himself down.

Posted by: soundbloke | February 3, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Come to that, Manny isn't exactly svelte hisself, izzeh?

Posted by: CEvansJr | February 3, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone can contribute, even if it's as a cautionary example.

"Posted by: CEvansJr | February 3, 2009 1:36 PM "

See: Brue

Posted by: Section506 | February 3, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"He is known in Boston for shutting himself down."

If that's how he shuts himself down, he's still well worth having here. Our guys should do so well even when they're not shut down.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 3, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Not that this effects signing him either way but he got thrown out of his apartment building because he used to get drunk and show up at wedding in their function rooms.

I hope we don't sign him but the man is something of a character.

Posted by: soundbloke | February 3, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Er, he left to go back home in early September without a proper medical exam a few years back. I'm no fan of Austin Kearns but...

In Manny's defense he is not fat in the least. The man is ripped. He shows up to work 2-3 hours early to work out.

Posted by: soundbloke | February 3, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

We already have one of those, Wily Mo...

Nonetheless, I attended at least ten games last year and if we end up with Manny I'd be at ten more.

Posted by: OptimisticSkin | February 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"Wait a minute, I thought we were after a left-handed first baseman, not a right-handed statue slugger in left-field.

We already have one of those, Wily Mo..."

Post of the day... for it's sheer ignorance.

Posted by: sec307 | February 3, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse