Rijo Out, Boz In

Well, let's see, It's Day 2 of spring training, but Day 1 of Boz -- that's Thomas Boswell to you search engines -- in Viera. Soon the phone will ring and I'll say "Hi, Boz," and 15-20 minutes later I'll say, "Bye, Boz," and in between will be... just Boz, giddy as a girl.

Boz is floating on a helium high somewhere above the upper deck at Space Coast Stadium. Around 11:30 the ground crew will pull him down and tie him to a chair, and then he'll commence to chatting. You can join him.

(Side note: Scariest thing I ever saw was Boz at the Beijing airport, holding a bottle of "Five Hour Energy Drink." Seriously, I nearly burst into tears.)

Of course, not all chat topics will be giggle-worthy today. You all saw last night's news about Jose Rijo. Or maybe that is giggle-worthy, for those of you hoping for a house cleaning.

Here's a couple of stories about division foes that might interest you:

Yikes. The president of the Marlins means business: First game of the spring, and he's griping about defense. Dude, it's Day 1 of the longest spring training in history. Pace yourself.

A "recharged" Ryan Church had a big opener for the Mets against the O's. So sayeth The Times' Ben Shpigel, and he would know.

If that link takes you to the registration page (I had mixed results), paste this into your browser:

By Tracee Hamilton  |  February 26, 2009; 8:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rijo To Be Fired
Next: Nick Be Nimble, Nick Be Quick

Comments

Baseball makes me giddy, too.

So is Boz wearing the baseball seam shoes this year?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 26, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

... tracee, that link works fine for me. Now about Church. How long before he finds something distasteful about NY and the Mets, and launches himself into another blue funk?

Posted by: natscanreduxit | February 26, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

A full 12 hours since the news broke about Rijo and there hasn't been any official word from the Team (read Kasten) not even to schedule the press conference to announce Rijo's departure. Does anyone else get the feeling that they've got more terminations coming over this? If feels to me like they're doing some house cleaning and are waiting to announce them all at once.

Part of me thinks Bowden survives this simply because of the timing - too close to the start of the season where the GM has to make decisions on who goes/stays with the big club. That's a heavy load to dump on an outsider with a mere 6 weeks at best to do his/her homework. That's where I get to the whole interim hire thing with a broader search to include minority candidates after the team breaks camp - perhaps even after the draft.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | February 26, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Tracee, Chico, Boz, Barry...., XM 175 MLB Homeplate's morning guys (Holden Kushner & Jim Duqette) are repeating the Adios Rijo and Bye-Bye Bowden story with confirmed sources. Are you WAPO folks getting the same vibes too? They keep running this story also on thier 20 minute updates. Since its almost 100% confirmed in regards to Rijo, how much credibility is there concerning PTBowdoin dismissal?

Posted by: TippyCanoe | February 26, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I was watching part of the Twins/Sox game on MLB TV last night. The wife comes in and says "oh god... it's not baseball season already is it? So when does your beard come off?" Not til April 6th but the countdown is officially upon us. How great is it to have actual games being played?

Posted by: RicketyCricket | February 26, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

The XM guys are basically saying the same thing that's been online since yesterday - they're canning Rijo and might can Bowden. They're not reporting any confirmed sources saying JimBow's out yet.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | February 26, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Church has no redeeming value.

That is all.

Thank you.

Posted by: wahoo2x | February 26, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey Cricks! I have an off-season beard, too. Except my red-headed, Cubs-fan girlfriend really loves it.

JiM asked in the last thread: "And what even counts as a minority according to baseball? "

Which made me wonder... how many minority GMs are there? I can think of zero, but maybe I'm not thinking hard enough.

Posted by: Section506 | February 26, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Kenny Williams comes to mind immediately

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | February 26, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

That's funny about the beards.

It's super to have games being played! I watched some of a couple of ST broadcasts yesterday (slow work day): Giants @ Indians and Red Sox @ Twins. BTW, MLB Network has released their ST game broadcast schedule:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | February 26, 2009 9:36 AM

Omar Minaya? Or is he labeled Team President?

Posted by: FloresFan | February 26, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Omar Minaya

Posted by: Brian_ | February 26, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Note: except for March 18 (not included for MLB Network) they seem to be the same games that are scheduled for MASN, so I'm not sure how that will work.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 26, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

New post. See ya!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 26, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Forget Smiley, skimming or the DUI. Bowden should have been removed for tradinig Ryan Church for Milledge instead of Austin Kearns.

Really, who would not want to go back in time and switch Kearns for Church in the Milledge trade? More consistant bat, a lefty, decent defense at the corners - oh yea and easier to move later because of favorable contract terms (of course being a cheap lefty was probably the reason NYM wanted Church in the first place).

Posted by: estuartj | February 26, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

506 - Good stuff. I start it the day after the WS ends and shave it Opening Day - which for me is a holiday. I haven't worked an Opening Day in my life.

If this info is still accurate there are currently 4 minority GMs in MLB:

Ruben Amaro, Jr - Philly
Omar Minaya - Mets
Kenny Williams - ChiSox
Tony Reagins - LAA

Posted by: RicketyCricket | February 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I don't really see the problem with firing Bowden now. I assume it's Rizzo's job, whether or not they have to jump through the hoops and interview a few minority candidates first. They could name him interim GM while they do that.

Posted by: tha_prophet | February 26, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Of course, estuartj, I'm sure you're aware that it's possible even Omar Minaya wouldn't trade for Kearns. But, as long as we're talking like this, why didn't Bowden flip Majewski and D'Angelo Jiminez for Troy Tulewitski? Or Tony Bautista and Johnny Estrada for Jon Papelbon?

Posted by: Section506 | February 26, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, too, for the Mets story from yet another vowel-challenged baseball writer.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 27, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse