Young Is Day-To-Day

Just a little interruption of on-the-field news here today. First baseman Dmitri Young, who was hit on the right hand yesterday by a pitch, has a contusion of his left ring finger. X-rays taken today were negative. Young is being listed as day-to-day.

By Chico Harlan  |  February 23, 2009; 3:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bowden Denies Wrongdoing [Updated]
Next: Nats Ownership Encouraging Investigation Of Bowden

Comments

Oh no Oh no........not the dreaded "day to day" listing by the medical staff.....I can't take another season of a guy being listed day to day and coming back in September.

Posted by: cabraman | February 23, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Seriously. Chico, don't even tell us this stuff. I prefer ignorance.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 23, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, our first day-to-day. Such joy.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 23, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

That was quick.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 23, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

For some fans, it's the first ST game that really affirms the arrival of the new season. For Nats fans, it's the first injury.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 23, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

... I hope he has a will...

Posted by: wigi | February 23, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

If it were Terrell Young, I would care. God bless Dmitri, but he's nothing more than a great bobblehead at this point.

Posted by: sec307 | February 23, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

day-to-day...aren't we all.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | February 23, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

is "X-rays are negative" code word for "he has a hairline fracture that will develop into a full-out break because we will not treat the hairline fracture"?

Posted by: swang30 | February 23, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Actually, for Dmitri Young day-to-day is an improvement. Normally he's meal-to-meal.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 23, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

New posted;

My favorite line form Kasten's presser today was that they "We could be having Adam Dunn at 3rd base at the moment and YOU WOULDN”T KNOW ABOUT IT!!—Because you are all wasting your time talking to me.”

Funny stuff, laugh in the face of scandal.

Ladsen also had this gem in today'd q&a "you have to keep Austin Kearns, who could finally reach his potential if he stays healthy, as insurance."

If I dropped the "as insurance" part this would be worthy of SNL. How many times is Ladsen going to talk about what a great player Kearns COULD be (if what he didn't suck?)?

I do agree with his point though (I must have a fever), Kearns is worth more to us as a 4th outfielder/defensive replacement/insurance policy than we could ever hope to get in return. $8mil is a lot to pay for that this year, but no sense getting upset about money you already lost...

Posted by: estuartj | February 23, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Some of the comments today, especially in this thread, are just way to funny. My wife looked in to see if all was well...

Posted by: FanfromVeryStart | February 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

When I saw the header I was afraid Terrell Young was hurt and when I saw it was Dmitri I said, oh good. Should I feel guilty for being happy DY is hurt instead of TY?

Posted by: estuartj | February 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Geez, my stocks are day-to-day, too.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 23, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Is Jimbo day to day?

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | February 23, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Now that was clever!

Posted by: ArlingtonNatsFan | February 23, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"I'm sympathetic to the "innocent until proven guilty" sentiment, but, fair or not, there comes a point where keeping a guy is more trouble than it's worth unless you really have a strong feeling that he's providing something you need and can't easily replace."

Yes, yes, and that point is indictment. The moment the Feds prove to a Grand Jury that there is reasonable suspicion of wrong doing and give them the thumbs up to bring a case against Bowden.

Until then, the only things you accomplish by firing Bowden are 1) restarting the rebuilding clock and 2) broadcasting to the entire baseball world that an anonymous leak about an investigation is all it takes to lose your job.

Forget the principle of innocent until proven guilty, what you all are arguing is innocent until someone has a suspicion about you and decides to look into it.

Posted by: Section506 | February 23, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

apparently, The Lady that wrote the original article was on Sportstalk980 earlier today. she said that "Smiley" only got 300k out of the 1.4m signing bonus he was signed for.

Posted by: MrMadison | February 23, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"Kasten also make a crack about the reporting of my favorite punching bag, Bill (IDIOT!) Ladsen."

estuartj - What did Stan say?

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 23, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | February 23, 2009 5:08 PM

------------------------

I can't speak for the others who have been involved on this side of the discussion today but I can say that I'm not arguing guilt or innocence at all. I'm saying it's the collective weight of all of these situations that has the baseball community classifying the Nats as a laughing stock. For that I believe he deserves to be removed.

I also argue that removing Bowden does not restart the clock on rebuilding. I think it may be a necessary part of the process - I won't rehash my defense of that point here... it's in the previous post. Promoting a guy like Rizzo who is well respected, has a proven eye for talent, and was sought by and signed by the current ownership/management group is perhaps a necessary evolutionary step.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | February 23, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

estuartj - This was Ladson's best work ever when he wrote this:

01/08/09 5:20 PM EST

Nats Unlikely To Sign Top Free Agents

Remember that firestorm that was touched off from that article.

How many season ticket holders were lost forever from that one article?

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 23, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"Team president Kasten offers full support of GM amidst investigation" - Bill Ladson

---------------

Kasten's quote was "I support everyone who works for the Washington Nationals all the time. Period. But we are not going talk about things that are going on away from [the field] that I have no control or involvement in. I told you I'm going to let the process play out. We are going to let the chips fall as they may. We are going to look at things honestly."

I don't get "Kasten offers full support of GM" from that. I get "we'll see what we see and if heads have to roll they'll roll".

As NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass noted above - I think Kasten is saying Bowden too is day-to-day.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | February 23, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! D-Young hurt the biscuit-sopping hand?! Poor guy. And I am not whether he has adequate income (ahhhemmm) to pay someone to help.

Posted by: dfh123 | February 23, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I see where Orlando Hudson signed a one year incentive laden contract with the Dodgers, what? we can't use a Gold Glove second baseman who signed a one year contract for little or nothing,Jimbo too busy ducking the feds to pay attention to the free agent market.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 23, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I think Bowden is a competent negotiator (few exceptions - like the one for which he may be indicted at some point). But not super impressed w/ his talent evaluation. Personally, am dying to see what Rizzo can do running the show.

Posted by: Avar | February 23, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

dmac, see Nats320 for the comments on Ladson and more.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 23, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Tip to D. Young....when bunting, please keep fingers from front side of bat.

Posted by: cokedispatch | February 23, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Dargremag: Apparently you missed the part where Hudson had a contract offer on the table from the Nats for weeks, but didn't want to play here. I don't have a problem with giving Bowden a bunch of junk for the actual stupid stuff he does, but let's no manufacture extra stupid stuff.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | February 23, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Not to rain on the snark parade, but if Dimitri has any kind of bone damage, he needs to get it taken care of immediately, due to his diabetes. Hopefully, the new medical/training staff will jump on that & get it squared away, or are they not in Viera with the team?

Posted by: BinM | February 23, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

God, I would love to talk about baseball for at least one day.

How about we guess where the Nats top 5 prospects start the season;

Zimmermann (SP) - Harrisburg
Burgess (OF) - Potomac
Detwiler (SP) - Harrisburg
Marrero (1B) - Harrisburg
McGeary (SP) - Hagerstown

Posted by: estuartj | February 23, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

@estuartj:

OK, here's mine...
JZimm (SP) HAR - check
Burgess (RF) POT - check
Detwiler (SP) HAR - check
Marrero (1B) POT - EE-nnn-cc-kk
McGeary (SP) VER - EE-nnn-cc-kk

Marrero needs to prove he can play 1B & reduce his K's first; Potomac is the place to start.
With McGeary, HAG might be too agressive a move; better to let him begin in VER & go from there.

Posted by: BinM | February 23, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Cavalier83: Yes I did miss that tidbit of information concerning Orlando Hudson, thanks and no I wasn't trying to manufacture stupid stuff just my attempt at a little levity.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 23, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Thank God! NJ would be out for the year.

Posted by: Vze2sr66 | February 23, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Day-to-day? Last year that meant two months.

Posted by: 6thandD | February 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse