Morning Reading

What with the off day and the special section copy to file, Chico had one story in today's print edition; there's a little bit here that didn't make Nats Journal. Chico will have a new blog post up in the 10:30-11 a.m. range.

Tim Dierkes has this item about the Pirates being interested in Wil Ohman. Apparently Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says the Nats are interested too. Dierkes is skeptical.

I was poking around looking for something on Alfonso Soriano. This was not what I expected to find.

This NY Post blog item by Joel Sherman -- it's the third item on his list, actually, so scroll down -- is about the Mets' rotation and how their fifth starter spot is giving them trouble. Sounds like Tim Redding is not a favorite. Out of shape? Yikes.

Paul Hagen of the Philly Daily News has a piece on the Nats.

The fabulous Richard Justice spanks Miggy, big time. Speaking of the 'Stros, Aaron Boone had his surgery yesterday and a few graphs made the print edition. Here's the full story from the AP.

USA Today has a piece on exploitation in the Dominican, and our boy/man Gonzalez/Alvarez gets a mention, of course. Not sure this takes us beyond Barry's reporting from down there, but worth a look.

This sounds like a shot from Felipe Lopez at his former team, doesn't it?

This is just awesome: A cocktail called the "A-Roid" is being served at a Boston bar. You have to see the picture to believe it. (Found this via David O'Brien's blog; Rock Chalk.)

Finally, just an FYI: The web folks are re-doing to the look of our blogs, as some of you have noticed/mentioned. Nats Journal soon will follow suit.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 27, 2009; 9:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Intend To Add Dmitri Young To 40-Man Roster
Next: The Roster Puzzle's Final Pieces

Comments

... my humour level has taken a beating lately; nothing to do with the Nats, but if you've got kids or are married, you might have some idea.

... anyway, is the 'A-Roid drink' thing supposed to be funny?

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 27, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Said the FLop: "There were a lot of things not aggressive when I was in Washington..."

Do I even need to make a joke here? I think the FLop's performance In DC spoke for itself.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | March 27, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@natscanreduxit

I have a feeling that, if you are one ofhe hardcore Boston faithful, it's hi-larious.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | March 27, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Boswell apparently wrote yesterday in an online Q&A that the Nats won't be among the 8 worst teams in the majors this year. I'll take that bet. With lousy starting pitchers and below-average defense at most positions, this is lined up to be another ugly year.

Posted by: hum-baby | March 27, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The Soriano link is hilarious

Posted by: Section506 | March 27, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Is there a FLopSpeak translator out there anywhere? Why yes there is!

"There were a lot of things not aggressive when I was in Washington. [Such as me, myself and I.}"

Posted by: spamcastin | March 27, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spamcastin | March 27, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

About three weeks ago I had that terrible stomach flu that's been sweeping the area. Once I was feeling better, I ended up having to scrape crud off my toilet that had demonstrated a greater effort level and had more redeeming value than Felipe Lopez.

Posted by: wahoo2x | March 27, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

FLOPs comments don't even register anymore. I took him to task last August(SELF PROMOTION TIME! http://tinyurl.com/crnyb4 There is some adult language) after he let a few choice words slip.
I'm on ignore mode now.

Posted by: Section138 | March 27, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

hum-baby,

Trust me, I'm not saying we are there yet but, I see some big improvements in this team and I get a sense that things are very different under Mike Rizzo. He seems to have a purpose in what he's doing and a more professional way of doing his job.

I was never a Jimbo hater but, now that he is gone and Rizzo is in there, it's less of a circus atmosphere. Jimbo seemed to also bring attention upon himself, Rizzo, not so much. I'm starting to really appreciate that.

So the long and the short of my point is, don't be surprised if Boz is not to far off with his prediction.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 27, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow! Just catching up this morning on the Bowden-Dimitri handshake deal. Adding Dimitri to the 40-man roster because of that is complete idiocy. And I don't take Stan and Rizzo to be fools, so I assume they were going to drop someone anyway and adding Dimitri is a convenient way to avoid scrutiny for not adding J.Zimm.

Posted by: dclifer | March 27, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

or trade someone...

Posted by: dclifer | March 27, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

" ... Boston faithful ..."

... an oxymoronic turn of phrase, if I ever heard one.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Flippie's remarks are no surprise. One thing that was a surprise was a home run he hit during the WBC. His bat speed in that hit was twice as fast as all of his swings combined while he was a Nat.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Soriano's truck is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time ;-)

I can't stop laughing....

Posted by: CajunD | March 27, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great visuals. The AS12 Hummer in Cubs blue actually is a popular vehicle around Wrigley.

I expect the A'Roid to be a popular drink in Boston. If you drink too many, you can barf pinstripes I guess.

"There were a lot of things not aggressive when I was in Washington," he said. I am OK with FLop's statement as this had been a conservative team last year. It wasn't in 2006, but was in '07 and '08. I expect wtih Lasto in leadoff it will be more aggressive. Hard to be aggressive when you have a slow team and this isn't much of a bunt or hit & run team either.

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Not one of the bottom 8, well, thats a hefty climb up the ladder I'd say. I won't bet against it happening.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Now see, this was funny....

"Re the A-Roid, if you drink one do you choke? Or is that only if you drink one during the playoffs?"

Posted by: spamcastin | March 27, 2009 9:46 AM

Posted by: NatsNut | March 27, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

So, if the Lerners had known...they could have thrown in that truck and he would have signed to stay here? That would never have flown. I'm sure there are local ordinances here against such a monstrosity.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

RE: Bottom 8 --
Well, they'll hit better. I don't see how that can be avoided. The starting 8 are better (no WMP, FLop), closer to their primes (Dukes, Milledge, Zimm, Flores) and there's just so much more depth (swapping LoDuca, Boone, Harris, etc for Willingham, Dunn, Hernandez) that it's hard to imagine the offense getting any worse.

The rotation should be better too. They're young and good, though I dunno about Cabrera.

The bullpen should be better than they were by the end of the season -- we traded away or cut just about anyone who was any good, so that was ugly.

However, I do think the defense has declined. I'm a little worried about where we can hide Dunn. Willie Harris makes an awfully nice defensive replacement, and Kearns is due for a regression to the mean, but if they're not starting, that's going to be a problem.

Anyway, If you look at the factors I outlined above, how can you not see at least a 10-15 game improvement?

-kevin

Posted by: Section406 | March 27, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Lopez's comment sounds more like an admission that he was dogging it than a shot at the Nats.

On the main sports page the link to the story about Dmitri Young actually leads to the Angus Phillips column.

Posted by: tha_prophet | March 27, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, prophet, we'll fix it...

Posted by: traceeh | March 27, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Soriano's taste in cars notwithstanding (assuming that pimped out Hummer really is his), Boz's point the other day that Jordan Zimmermann was acquired with one of the Soriano-compensation draft choices deserves more attention.

At the time Soriano wasn't re-signed, I was one of those people who said it was impossible to have an opinion about it, for or against, without knowing (a) what had been offered in trade, and (b) how the compensatory draft choices were going to turn out. While we still don't know the answers, they are coming a little more into focus, and I think I like the future a lot more with Zimmermann than Soriano, though I'm sure there is room for disagreement.

Posted by: Meridian1 | March 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse