Mid-Morning Reading

I'm not sure what to think about this, but apparently the Expos were penalized millions for not putting any money back into "employee training." (That's a fat one right over the plate, folks; start swinging.)

This guy loves him some Stephen Strasburg.

Paul Dickson -- author of "The Dickson Baseball Dictionary" -- is going to speak at the Library of Congress at noon on Wednesday, April 15. Several of Mr. Dickson's baseball books grace the shelves of my basement sports lair (upon seeing it the cable guy exclaimed, "Man, what a great room! Your husband must love it."), which would certainly be true if, say, I were married. Anyway, the talk is free, open to the public and no tickets are required. It will be held in the Madison building, 101 Independence Ave. SE.

Manny Acta's going to blog on masnsports.com.

Here's what they'll be eating at Mets games this year (corn on the cob with mayonnaise? really?).

Finally, a fond farewell to George Kell, who did the TV broadcasts of Tigers games with Al Kaline when I moved to Detroit in 1983. Former colleague Drew Sharp has captured Kell nicely; we all loved to imitate Kell. My favorite line was the way he started many stories: "I was sitting in the hotel lobby..." It was the way he said hotel ... two words, emphasis on HO. We were so spoiled: George and Al on TV, Ernie and Paul on the radio.

Man, this screen just got blurry. Later.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 25, 2009; 10:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Arbitration Clock, & What it Means for the Rotation
Next: Tonight's Lineups From HSCS

Comments

Thanks for all of the great readings, Tracee.

MLB hosed the Expos. grrrr.

Loved the Strasburg story.

I love Dickson's books and also have several of them on my basement shelves (along with dozens of other baseball tomes).

Will look forward to reading Acta's blog.

Wish that we had an authentic Taqueria at Nats Park (sorry, but Cantina Maria just doesn't do it for me).

Also wish that we had some tv broadcaster continuity so that fans might develop a relationship with them such as Tigers fans had with Kell. I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

There's a difference between Canadian laws and American laws, just like there's a difference between Canadian bacon and American bacon. But too much of either will eventually kill you. Oops, thought I was Chico Harlan there for a sec...

Posted by: spamcastin | March 25, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

re the Expos taxation story:

... my take on this stems from two major positions. The first concerns the history of U.S.-based corporations doing business and sometimes having subsidiaries in Canada. History clearly shows a propensity by these businesses towards ignoring or avoiding Canadian laws seemingly under the impression that such laws do not apply to them. It costs a great deal of money for Canadian governments to disabuse these corporations of that notion, but every so often, it is feasible. This would appear to be one of them.

... however, and it’s a big ‘however’, this particular government is the one in the province of Quebec, quite well known for its harsh attitudes towards the USA, and any other jurisdiction for that matter which deigns to confront it. As much as I want to see the money end up in the rightful hands, and as much as I would like to see Bud Selig and the MLB brass brought up short because of the way they MIGHT HAVE thumbed their noses at Canadian law, the bottom line for me in this one, is: it’s a Quebec government cash grab, and I doubt it will succeed.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 25, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"Mr. Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group runs six restaurants, a jazz club and two hamburger stands, but has never gone outside Manhattan. Now, in Flushing, Queens, his nonunion company will team up with the corporate behemoth Aramark, whose concession workers are represented by Local 153 of the Office and Professional Employees International Union in Manhattan."

Good luck with that one, Mets fans. Pairing haute cuisine with Aramark is almost as dumb a move as hiring a food writer as your baseball team beat writer would be. And no one would ever do that.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I love the subtle irony of this post. Thanks for the great work, Tracee.

1a, Cantina Marina pulled out of Nats Park, they will not be back this season (neither will Red Hot & Blue). See SBF's blog for details.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | March 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Apropos of the Zimmermann discussion, here's a quote from the Tampa GM about David Price, who is facing a very similar decision on very similar grounds, despite the fact that Price is probably a much more dominant pitcher:

"It's a fine line because we're so reliant on our young players, and we always will be. So development has to be the key. We can't do something that provides a slight benefit in '09 if it's going to be detrimental to 2010, '11 and '12. We can't run away from that. We have to maintain that mindset, or we will not be able to sustain success. "

And that, to me, is the most important part of the JZimm argument. It's not a question of "Is he ready?" From a stuff perspective, his stuff is MLB-ready. What comes now is the need to build his strength up slowly, so that he can give you 5-6 years of dominant pitching, not 18 months and shoulder surgery, and Shawn Hill's career.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | March 25, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

how about this?

thoughts?

Posted by: longterm | March 25, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 25, 2009 10:53 AM

AMEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | March 25, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping that natscan and some of our other northern baseball buddies would offer their perspective on the first item. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the heads up on the concession change specifics, CiL. I'm behind on my reading of Nats320 and other blogs.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"we don't need a five-man rotation to start the year. why not have martis/zimmermann share starts the first month. have each go 3 or 4 innings once or twice through a lineup and get them out of there. not pretty for the win stats but would limit exposure and workload while riding around with the big club.

thoughts?"

A big reason for only going with a 4-man rotation would be to have an extra roster spot available for a non-starter for a while. So putting two starters on the roster to pitch half time kind of defeats that purpose. Sort of like filling up on the bread basket before your high-priced entree arrives at the table. Oops, thought I was Chico Harlan there for a sec....

Posted by: spamcastin | March 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

One baseball-is-a-business question I have:

Is there a chart/calendar which shows the dates or deadlines for when players can be called up or sent down, fixed on the roster, or not have to be paid the full amount of their salaries and other money-related stuff that influences a front office's financial decisions? When they released Shawn Hill, one of the reasons for doing it on that particular day was that there was a deadline looming after which the team would have had to pay his full agreed-upon salary.

Knowing those dates in advance would help take the sting out of what otherwise to a fan like me would feel like a "sudden" move (above and beyond a player's performance and health concerns).

Hopefully the above makes sense. Apologies if it doesn't.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I actually liked Cantina Marina, and there was never a line there. Why everyone wanted to wait in line for overpriced greasy Five Guys when Cantina Marina was right next door was always a mystery to me. But maybe that's why Chico Harlan's a food critic and I'm not.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Real tacos sound good. So do the Belgian fries.

While NYers love their mayo (nobody there has ever seen Miracle Whip), pairing it with corn-on the-cob seems a bit odd.

If vendors are pulling out of Nats Park, that should send a signal to the Lerners, no? Time to do something about the quality of the on-field product! Nothing else will put the fannies in the seats.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

_________

Oooooh! I wonder if we can convince the guys from Urban BBQ (which takes RH&B out in the back alley and smacks 'em silly before dumping 'em in the trash) to move in?

Posted by: OldDude | March 25, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Here's a link to the ESPN article that I think Highway295Revisited was referencing above. If Tampa can send Price to the minors to limit his innings and make sure his development is on the proper course, the Nats can certainly do the same with Flash Jordan. The Rays are contending and arguably need Price more than the Nats need Zimmermann (i.e., we're not necessarily trying to eke out a few more wins to make the postseason).

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | March 25, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@ spamcastin. i get that. but i'd rather have an extra good starter than an extra unreliable reliever that pitches in scenarios unlikely to happen at important times. i guess i'm more interested in how we use them than how we categorize them (starter/reliever/closer/etc). i think we'd carry an extra pitcher over an extra bat anyway.

Posted by: longterm | March 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

A woman with a "basement sports lair?" Can I have your number, Tracee? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | March 25, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"i'm sure guys prefer a routine but couldn't martis/zimmermann pitch a couple complete games and help the bullpen to a day off? maybe a stretch but seems like a possibility."

How many complete games have the Nats pitchers had in the Manny Acta era? One, maybe two? And I think whatever ones they did have were 8-inning CG losses. Now you expect two rookies to step in and throw CGs in the first couple weeks of the season? What are you smoking, anyway?

Posted by: spamcastin | March 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"From a stuff perspective, his stuff is MLB-ready. What comes now is the need to build his strength up slowly, so that he can give you 5-6 years of dominant pitching,"

Hwy285,

... I'm willing to buy into your agrument about whether or not to start JZimm in the bigs. But I'd like to ask you or anyone else with first-hand baseball experience why it is that pitchers today need to be brought along slowly, whereas there were some pretty good country pitchers in the past who succeeded in spite of the 'babying' (for want of a better term).

... your example of S. Hill might be a good one, but I have always assumed his arm problems were simply a feature of his own physical limitations, not because of the stress put on it too early.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"But I'd like to ask you or anyone else with first-hand baseball experience why it is that pitchers today need to be brought along slowly, whereas there were some pretty good country pitchers in the past who succeeded in spite of the 'babying' (for want of a better term)."

Because the financial implications today are greater than they were in the past. Teams realize that pitchers have a finite number of pitches in their arm. There are your exceptions that seem to go on forever, but for the most part you cannot count on pitchers performing too long without increasing the chance of a significant injury. By slowly building a pitcher's workload, teams attempt to mitigate some of that risk.

Posted by: Brian_ | March 25, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

WRT Zimmermann, I think people are too much in need of immediate gratification. Delaying JZ 1.5-2 months will get us 6 months of work 5 years down the line. Arbitration starts 1 year later, so club control is extended for 1 year. 2 months of a rookie compared to 6 months of a 5 year established pitcher. I don't understand why there is even a debate about this.

It's not even about the business side. I don't care how much he's paid. It's about club control management.

Posted by: swang30 | March 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"whereas there were some pretty good country pitchers in the past who succeeded in spite of the 'babying'"

And there were plenty of hardball country pitchers whose careers were over from arm injuries by the time they turned 27. We just don't remember their names. Take a stroll through baseball-reference.com and you'll find them.

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | March 25, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I'll marry you, Tracee!
How would you feel about taking the name Tracee True? Kinda rolls right off the tongue, don't it?

Posted by: ajtrue78 | March 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Somehow I suspected Tracee would have a couple of proposals before the day was over.

OK, I'm not actually irritated by Strasburg-love-fest articles like this one. OK, he is dominating college hitters I get it. But what I hear is he has two ML ready pitches; fastball, slider. Show me a good major league SP w/ two pitches. No such thing. If that changeup of his is big league ready then maybe he can do it.

And I'm sorry, I get no excitement from hearing that he can dominate the BYU lineup. No connection with dominating the Phillies or Mets or Cubs. No one on BYU will ever even be in the minors, let alone the bigs.

I know Strasburg may be the real deal but give me solid reasons besides he dominated medicore college pitchers who won't even get drafted. Or the pathetic, "he looks like a star". Really? He LOOKS like a star? I can't even respond to that it's so stupid.

I hope he pans out and think he has a good chance but let's just remember how incredibly far away from big league hitters he is right now.

Posted by: Avar | March 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Crap - typo. I'm NOW actually irritated. Frustrating.

Posted by: Avar | March 25, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Lannan
Olsen
Martis
Zimmmermann
Strasburg

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 25, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that this article was by Tracee until I got to the part about a "basement sports lair," which wouldn't work for Chico, with his disdain for sports (and us, and the Post, and athletes, etc.).

Posted by: mike8 | March 25, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Why does it matter whether the Nats control Cheese's salary in three years?

Ask me again when the team is trying to sign that slick-fielding, high OBP free agent shortstop. Or reach a long-term agreement with that young phenom ace. Or trade for that star 1B with the contract to hefty for his midmarket team.

It's just good baseball management. It may not appeal to fans, but it's smart thinking.

And it may create an opportunity for someone like Balester, who would otherwise be sent to Syracuse at the end of the month. Maybe he makes something out of the chance and forces Rizzo to make a tough decision in May. Or maybe you see someone like Bergmann sort it out and step it up.

Best case scenario is the acquisition of another starter between now and April 20th, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 25, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

*too hefty

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

you really think i meant they should take turns throwing complete games?

i have another idea. dukes should hit 4 homers a game, every game!

Posted by: longterm | March 25, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

On the subject of duration of pitchers, I'd be interested in what people think of an article by Buzz Bissinger in the NY Times "Play" magazine in 2007: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/sports/playmagazine/0603play-wood.html?_r=1&scp=9&sq=Bissinger&st=cse (sorry, I don't know how to get a tinyurl). Kerry Wood was Exhibit A. He had a comeback of some sort in the last two years, right? I can't remember how it turned out. Anyway, I was impressed by the article when I first read it & it has me worried about bringing up guys too soon.

Posted by: Section109 | March 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit that this is a pet peeve of mine. Can someone show me one statistical study which shows that modern pitcher development - i.e. pitch counts, limiting innings, etc. - leads to longer careers? The anecdotal evidence sure isn't there. I blame it all on the introduction of Little League pitching rules in the late 70s and early 80s. Sorry to be so negative, but it drives me nuts.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Letting NN start in the minors makes perfect sense because 1) a fifth starter isn't needed until 4/20; 2) It lets the team carry somebody on the cusp (not necessarily a pitcher) for a while longer, and 3) it at least would delay NN's free-agency a year, as has been pointed out.
As far as arbitration, if he is indeed worth a big payday when he's eligible, that would mean he has done well for the Nats before then. If he starts out like gang busters, wouldn't that be great? Maybe he'd help the Nats develop a bigger fan base and become competitive sooner; and then, spending the money necessary to keep NN long term would be no problem.
One thing this whole delay-the-arb-clock overlooks is that, barring a trade, we don't really have anybody who looks like he could be even adequate to fill in for 2-3 months. Who wants to spend money on tickets to see somebody of that caliber?

Posted by: nats24 | March 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

My question is, given Chico's preferred future career path, how in the name of Harry J. Stevens did he get beat on the Times' upscale food at CitiField story? And if you don't know who Harry J. Stevens was, just ask any expatriated New Yorker. I think I spent half my first-year tuition supporting that enterprise at Yankee Stadium, Shea, Aqueduct, Belmont, etc., etc., etc.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 25, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Arm injuries occur because of..."

I blame it on strength and conditioning work.

Old time pitchers wouldn't be caught dead near a weight room (Are you nuts? You wanna get muscle-bound?!). Modern power pitchers have built muscle structures that put an insupportable amount of stress on ligaments and tendons (kind of like steroid users).

Posted by: joebleux | March 25, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@joebleux -- Doesn't hold up to anecdotal evidence. Look at the original forearm tightness case. Tim Leary. When he came up with the Mets, he was probably the most hyped pitching prospect ever. Also, the leanest. He developed arm trouble during his first MLB outing. Never really got past it. I had forgotten about him. If he's any example, then maybe Rizzo was right to let Hill go. However, I still think he was worth a longer look, even for $600k.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Anyway, that's my pet theory (utterly unsupported by facts, evidence, or other annoying distractions)."

Me too, joebleux. Me too.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 25, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"sorry, I don't know how to get a tinyurl"

Go to tinyurl.com. From there it's as easy as going to a restaurant and looking at the menu. Oh, there I go usurping Chico Harlan's role again...

Posted by: spamcastin | March 25, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

If Tim Leary "never really got past his arm tightness," the Nats need some of that: He pitched over 200 innings three times after he left the Mets, winning 17 games one year for the Dodgers. He made over 30 starts four times and threw nearly 1,500 innings in the bigs, just fyi.

Posted by: nats24 | March 25, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"@spamcastin. i was wondering if martis/zimmermann should share starts to limit their workload. and yes, if they can both throw 4 innings in one game and we are winning at home, we wouln't need the bullpen beyond that."

Well, I don't see anyone saying that Martis needs to be held back. He went six innings yesterday. Wouldn't your plan be a step back in Martis's development?

"you really think i meant they should take turns throwing complete games?"

Well, yes, because you said "couldn't martis/zimmermann pitch a couple complete games". Maybe you should have said "split a couple games" instead. To paraphrase the great food writer C. Escoffier Harlan, sometimes like in recipes the exact words do matter.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 25, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Stop with the Detroit nostalgia ...

You be in DC NAOW DEAUH.

We remember a certain deal that sent THREE very talented players to Al Kaline's Tiger's for one disreputable, alcohol and gambling addict and future jailbird. In other words DENY MCDICK! or
is it McLean. No we are still not happy about
losing Aurelio Rodgriquez, Ed Brinkman and Joe Coleman. Neither was Teddy Ballgame but the man from Minneapolis, (an "ancestor" of Snidely Owl of the Redskins), wanted a big name. Vegas ...
Then we lost our team ... and all of our "nostalgia".

NO MORE DETROIT nostalgia ... thank you.

Posted by: periculum | March 25, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"Arm injuries occur because of bad mechanics, not overuse. Kids don't throw enough when they are young. Hence they don't get the feedback that their arm should be giving them in order to improve. As a HS coach I had to buy into this insanity because if I didn't, I'd be accused of being an arm wrecker."

I would also contend that the increased heavy weight lifting in the modern era is another cause of arm/shoulder injuries. IMO, in the past two decades, weight lifting has moved from strength training to muscle building, a subtle difference (the extreme being Barry Bonds doing 20 sets on the bench press and considering that "normal"). Building mass is one thing, but strengthening labrums and rotator cuffs call for small weights and less force. It seems that in the recent past, there have been more labral tears in pitchers and position players (and in their non-throwing shoulders). see: Hanley Ramirez, Zimm, Glaus (to name a few)

Posted by: dclifer | March 25, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Clarification. By listing those players, I was only saying those are position players with labral tears in their non-throwing shoulders. Not saying Zimm is a weight room freak or roid-head like Glaus.

Posted by: dclifer | March 25, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

#4 and joebleux, some facts to support your theories (or perhaps, to discount them) might be found here:

Posted by: BobLHead | March 25, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for mentioning George Kell's passing, Tracee. I had dinner with him many a night during my years as a baseball writer in Detroit. He was a warm, friendly person who always made writers -- not just baseball broadcasters -- feel welcome at his table. Listening to George and Ernie Harwell trade stories is a treasured memory. We've lost another of the great ones.

Posted by: COL_DFox | March 25, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Hmm -

Wonder if anybody with the Nationals actually figured the cost of keeping Hill around for a couple months vs. not delaying NN's starts. Seems to me like a $600k investment now to delay JZ's arb clock while putting a decent product on the field might have been the way to go.

Oh well, pennywise and pound foolish seems to be the way this FO rolls.

Posted by: DesertNat | March 25, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 25, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Time for some midafternoon reading:

Posted by: BobLHead | March 25, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"The country that just whupped our butts, Japan, has their pitchers throw every day and a lot. It hasn't seemed to hurt their performance."

I admit, #4, I've spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out the logical connection between sentence 1 and sentence 2 above - we're talking about whether pitchers get injured from overuse, not whether overused pitchers can perform? Livan Hernandez was effective for years throwing lots of pitches.

My point on Zimmermann is actually exactly yours. I agree I'm not sure pitch-count-limiting and innings-limiting is the right way to develop a pitcher. However, I am quite convinced that significantly increasing the amount of innings (and thus pitches) thrown by a particular pitcher in a particular year greatly increases the chances that that pitcher ends up hurt or underperforming the year after that. That's the so-called "Verducci Effect." So, somebody who's come up (through HS and college and most minor league systems) having had his pitches and innings limited is a bad candidate to try out the "Hey, just throw till it hurts" development theory. I'm not sure NN needs to be coddled, but I'm sure that he was, and therefore if we push him to pitch 200 this year, we risk not having him for when we can really contend.

Start him in the minors and look forward to the Strasburg-Lannan-Zimmerman-Martis-Olsen 2010 rotation.

By the way, not that I give him credit for much, but that Stanton-for-Martis trade that 'Ol Leatherbritches pulled off ain't looking so dumb now, eh?

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | March 25, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

For amusement, here's a list of ex-Nats who entered major league camps this year:

In Major-league camps (29)

1 T. Redding
2 B. Schneider
3 M. Anderson
4 R. Church
5 T. Armas
6 L. Hernandez (probably Mets' 5th starter)
7 G. Majewski
24 L. Ayala
25 B. Harris
26 C. Cordero
27 C. Snelling
28 J. Spivey
29 S. Hill

Sent to minor league camp (10)

1 R. Ortiz

Major injury (1)
A. Boone

Released (1)
D. Ward

Posted by: natteringnabob | March 25, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Stanton-for-Martis trade:

Who called it dumb then?

Posted by: dclifer | March 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

You might have to look for it, but there's a new post lurking around in here someplace.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 25, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@natteringnabob:

Regarding your hall of shame: Except for Soriano, bums all. And, yes, that includes you Church and Schneider lovers out there. Church is injured half the year, and so may Schneid. Notice he'll probably miss opening day. On the downward side of a very mediocre career. Give me Kid Flores!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 25, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse