Larkin to Coach Team USA

Former Nats exec Barry Larkin -- now back with the Reds -- will coach the U.S. team in its second round WBC game Saturday night against Puerto Rico. Larkin is replacing Davey Johnson, who is attending the wedding of his stepson. Larkin, the bench coach for the U.S. team, will lead Friday's workout and manage Saturday night's game against Puerto Rico in Miami, says the Associated Press. Johnson is expected to rejoin the team Sunday.

[Very sorry; could have sworn I saw he was back with the Reds but I am wrong wrong wrong.]

The U.S. game is 8 p.m. Saturday night. The U.S. team would play Sunday only if they lose Saturday night. They would face the loser of the earlier game between the Netherlands and Venezuela.

Meanwhile, tickets go on sale Saturday for the Nats-O's game in Norfolk.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 13, 2009; 12:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading
Next: Minor League Minutia

Comments

1st

Posted by: Lipty | March 13, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What is his role with the Reds? I thought he was just doing the MLB Network gig.

Posted by: kfisher32 | March 13, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

And they would play again on Monday otherwise, right? (brackets make my brain hurt)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 13, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That was also my impression re. the MLB Network gig.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 13, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Larkin the next 2010 Nats' manager? Sounds good 2me!!!!!!

Posted by: Lipty | March 13, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Boz, Chico, Barry, Tracee, Amy, et al:

Cuba and Japan on Sunday should be a lot of fun to watch. It was mercy, mercy last night with a 16-spot on the Mexicans. I want to see the lefthander, Aroldis Chapman (26, one of Dog’s numerous, bustardo sons, this one conceived during a Caribbean, cigar-buying vacation).

I like the old, old, old school approach of the Cubans. It reminds me of the way baseball was played in the early-mid 20th century. From today’s NYT: “The lineup that was passed to Manager Jon Deeble of Australia before Tuesday’s game differed from the one Cuba handed to the umpire, leading an outraged Deeble to accuse the Cubans of disrespect and to call their behavior ‘disgusting and disgraceful’ after the game … they often refuse to announce their starting pitcher until immediately before game time; and their dugout is regularly filled with players in uniform who are not on the roster.”

They’re not boring, goody goodies, and I really like that.

But I also love stuff like Dunn’s slide on Pete Orr. Spikes high would have been even better. And the days when hockey goaltenders played without masks. So I understand that a lot of it is just me. I marvel that Dunn has been accused of dogging it during games, yet Jerry Narron, his one-time Cincinnati coach revealed that: “ ‘He broke his hand twice last year and wouldn’t let us X-ray it because he wanted to play.’ ” When Dunn was asked about it, he uttered a profanity and said, “ ‘He isn’t supposed to be talking about that. It was not that big of a deal.‘ ”

Dunn dog? Orr was done, dog. Middle infielders watch out. He walks a lot. He’s not that slow. Get rid of it early. Maybe throw it into the dugout, puss.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 13, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear Lord! Must we always have someone we want to fire? We're getting as bad as Auburn fans.
________________________
Larkin the next 2010 Nats' manager? Sounds good 2me!!!!!!

Posted by: Lipty | March 13, 2009 12:54 PM

Posted by: lowcountry | March 13, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Cincinatti manager, I mean.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 13, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Larkin is NOT with the Reds. My bad. Correction made. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Posted by: traceeh | March 13, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, Tracee. Thanks for all the readings.

Also, new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 13, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Cincinatti manager, I mean.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 13, 2009 1:20 PM

Actually, you mean 'Cincinnati manager'

Remember, two 'cin' + one 'nati' = Cincinnati

Posted by: Kev29 | March 13, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

To paraphrased Abraham Lincoln, "Whenever I hear someone speak in favor of tending goal without a mask, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 13, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse