Evening Reading List

Chico was posting so fast Saturday, I didn't want to interrupt the flow or the discussion. So this list is a little ripe but still worth a look, I think.

First, Aaron Boone's surgery has been scheduled for Thursday at Stanford University Medical Center.

In case you missed it, there's a Baseball Insider item on Shawn Hill's future.

A couple of Nats items from Ken Rosenthal's blog:

The Nats are raving about new hitting coach Rick Eckstein, the older brother of Padres second baseman David Eckstein. "I don't know when he sleeps," outfielder Austin Kearns says. "I'm serious -- he watches tape after tape after tape. And he's always in the (batting) cage." ...
Adam Dunn expressed mock outrage that new Nats reliever Julian Tavarez said, "When you go to a club at 4 in the morning, and you're just waiting, waiting, a 600-pounder looks like J-Lo. And to me, this is Jennifer Lopez right here. It's 4 in the morning. Too much to drink. So, Nationals: Jennifer Lopez to me." Dunn's response: "How can you talk about the NL East champs that way?" Perhaps the Phillies' Jimmy Rollins and Mets' David Wright can debate which team was the real J-Lo of the NL East ...

This item about Strasburg was referenced in the comments on the previous item, but I wanted to be sure everyone saw it.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 21, 2009; 6:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Health, Marriage And Sickness
Next: The Road To Kissimmee, The Road Back

Comments

Thanks, Tracee. I'll have Boone in my thoughts on Thursday. I have several relatives who had valve replacement surgery, in all cases at a more advanced age then him, and recovered fully. Wishing the same for him.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1a1,

... assignment: find baseball moniker for Josh Bard. Beginning work sequence now. Report to follow in due course.

... as for Shawn Hill to Toronto, I'll say what I would be expected to say, I guess. I hope he does land there. Shawn's home town is Mississauga, which is to Toronto as Arlington is to Washington. IMO, a little home cooking has often proved to be rehabilitative.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 21, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the Shawn Hill to Toronto move makes much economic sense. The air fares from Toronto to Dr. Andrews in Alabama would be prohibitive.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 21, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

>Strasburg has struck out 74 and walked only seven in the 34.1 innings he's pitched for San Diego State

'and scouts rave about his stuff'

lol

Posted by: Brue | March 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Being that this is such a literate blog, I figured we'd just bandy about Shakespeare quotes. He is the Bard, after all.

"A hit, a very palpable hit!" (Hamlet, Act V, scene II)

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 21, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

"All the world's a diamond, And all the men and boys merely players: They have their outs and their hits; And one man in his time plays many positions ..."

... but of course, what we really want is a usable Bardian nick. How about:

Lord Bardolph (a nobleman in Henry IV, Part 2.)

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 21, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Manny Burriss update with the Giants:

Burriss had two of his three singles in a nine-run sixth inning, and the San Francisco Giants beat the San Diego Padres 12-4 Saturday. Burriss is tied for the major league lead with 22 hits this spring.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 21, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"Bardolph - A commoner from London who serves in the war with Henry, and a friend of Pistol and Nim. Bardolph is a former friend of King Henry from his wild youth. A thief and a coward, Bardolph is hanged in France for looting from the conquered towns in violation of the king’s order." -- Sparks Notes.

So even though he is in four Shakespeare plays, I don't think we want to use that one, somehow...

Posted by: natty-bumppo | March 22, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Now that Bowden is gone, it's time to do something I wish the Post had done before.

Having read Money Ball, I was disturbed when I saw all the ink spent on "The Plan" without any discussion of the data used to determine how to improve the Nats farm system. Now we're hearing that the Nats farm system isn't so good after all. In Moneyball, going after hard throwing high school throwers is seen as the dumbest thing you can do, as the odds of these kids ever making it are slim, and because it's just what everyone else wants, so they cost a lot. Yet that seems to be just what the Nats have done in many cases. Hitters who walk a lot, by contrast, are under rated and more likely to make it.

Boswell has written a lot about the need for the Lernrers to spend some money to make the Nats decent. I agree with him, and thought he made a very good case.

But we need some time spent on the farm strategy. That's the only hope for the Nats to get to the playoffs. It isn't enough to say the Nats need to improve the farm system. The question is how are they going to do it, and what reason is there to believe they know what they are doing?

Posted by: JLNash819 | March 22, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse