A Few Post-Game Notes

Final score from Tradition: Nationals 7, Mets 5. The Nats are now 4-5 this spring. Some quick post-game notes...

* Scott Olsen went three innings (6 H, 2 ER, 2BB, 0 K), and called his second start of the spring "worse than the last start." But neither he nor his manager is worried whatsoever. Olsen's mistakes today resulted from a fastball that stayed high in the zone; he simply wasn't able to make an adjustment to bring the ball down. "But I feel strong," Olsen said.

* Roger Bernadina went 0-for-5 with seven LOB. Is there an NJ jinx?

* Joel Guzman hit his first home run of the spring in the seventh inning, and finished the day 2-for-5.

* Reliever Garrett Mock had another shaky outing: 2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER. Please, will any bullpen member please stand up?

* In the clubhouse after the game, many players had their eyes on the Canada-USA WBC game. And they spotted some familiar faces. Joel Hanrahan uncorked a wild pitch, trimming the U.S. lead from 4-2 to 4-3. A half-inning later, Adam Dunn smacked an opposite field home run to give the USA a 6-3 edge.

The U.S. currently leads 6-4 in the bottom of the eighth.

Oh, and Manny Acta was fairly devastated by the DR's loss to the Netherlands. He called it the greatest upset in sports since the 1980 Miracle On Ice game against Russia.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 7, 2009; 4:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jose Castillo Injured
Next: Today's Lineup Vs. Mets

Comments

What about Colome? He's very quietly got 3 saves without giving up an earned run. It may not be much and it surely is early, but so far he's been the closest thing to solid I've seen so far this spring.

Posted by: vash462 | March 7, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Dunn's HR the margin of victory for 6-5 USA win against Canada in WBC!

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 7, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

USA vs. CANADA...a DUNN deal.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 7, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Colome was pretty good early going last year, in fact, I remember all star talk for him. I can't recall right now the reason he faded in the latter part of the season, but maybe he is returning to form. I sure hope so as his talents are really needed now. Remember early last season he was referred to as "everyday Colome." Perhaps if Manny doesn't feel the need to run him out there almost everyday, he might hold up for the season. Hopefully, the starting staff will be able to go a little deeper into the games than last year.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 7, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

What's with WFED not carrying today's Nats-Mets game? There is no hockey conflict this afternoon. The Mets radio network didn't carry either, so couldn't listen on Gameday Audio. If I was in the Nats FO, I'd carry as many weekend games as possible to help build interest in the team. For those who have Gameday Audio, the Mets network is carrying tomorrow's game. According to MLB.com schedule, Charlie and Dave are back on the air Monday at 7:05 pm when the Nats host Houston.

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 7, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

* Roger Bernadina went 0-for-5 with seven LOB. Is there an NJ jinx?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No jinx. He isn't Ted Williams and Not even Bernie Williams.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Dang, new posted:

Was watching the WBC. Git R Dunn(!!!) had a very nice game. Hanrahan was scary, as noted above. Orr, eh. Was quite an exciting game to watch.

Funny to come here after the fact and read the intermingled ST and WBC posts. Glad to see that the Nats won, too.

I thought that Dunn was pretty funny in the dugout after he was removed for a defensive replacement (feeling for his pulse and using his cap like an oxygen mask). Maybe he should have checked Larry Jones and David Wright for pulses as well (hey-oh!).

I like the Team USA jerseys (way better than the Nats stars and stripes jerseys, IMO) but what's up with that logo on the caps?

BTW, Dunn stayed in the game so he was likely okay, BinM. Besides, the cage match was your idea... ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 7, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I had a similar thought re. Colome after checking the box and play-by-play just now.

The "everyday" carried over from 2007, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 7, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

@1a1:

I brought up the concept of a cage-match only after your initial description of USA-Canada; We probably both owe penance on this one.

Posted by: BinM | March 7, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else doing that espn streak for the cash thing...I'm finding it quite hard to put a longer streak than 4 or 5 in a row together.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 7, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@leetee:

I yapped about this earlier in a missive to JayBeee. It's truly a shame that the Nationals FO, MASN & WFED aren't able (or willing) to get the "brand" out to the fan-base in the pre-season; Kasten, at the very least should understand the concept.

Posted by: BinM | March 7, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

You can see the pre-season broadcast schedule at federalnewsradio.com and just click the sports link.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 7, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

@coked:
I usually LOVE College hoops this time of year, and would play ESPN's "streak", as well as some other side bets/brackets - Somehow, this season has gone almost as sour as the Dow Industrial - It seems that I have no "feel" for either, currently.

Posted by: BinM | March 7, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The best part about playing the streak contest is that it's free to play.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 7, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Kasten IS getting the brand out prior to the season. He, Acta, Dunn, Olsen and others have been doing radio interviews out the wazoo on non-sports radio stations, eg WJFK Junkies, omeara etc. It's called expanding the fan base. Pay no attention to Dmitri Young's father.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 7, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

@nunof:

Glad to hear that Kasten is keeping the role of lead salesman on "non-sports" stations - my home radio listening of late has narrowed to NPR, WFED, & ESPN980, based on either decreasing range from the station or lack of tolerance on my part.

Posted by: BinM | March 7, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of WBC...I noticed that the commentators had said that the placing of advertising logos on unis was new to baseball in this tourney. This in the game between P.R. and Panama.

Apparently (particularly since this was between two countries who had played in the Caribbean Series), he didn't bother to do any homework. Logos are all over unis in the Caribbean Series and I just can't wait to see the Mexican unis, coming up at 8.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 7, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Okay, BinM, I'll take one-half of a mea culpa.

I was struck by all of the logos on unis in the Caribbean World Series, catcher 50.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 7, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure the all-star talk was two years ago before the abscess on his rear, but his stuff is electric

Posted by: bford1kb | March 7, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

dunn got two walks also and made sweet sliding grab, he looks like he's in much better shape than last year

Posted by: bford1kb | March 7, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Hi Guys,

... well it turns out I'm exactly who I thought I was.

... had a pretty good day. Went to visit the latest grandbaby - Tobias, born on Wednesday - and then back to daughter number one to have supper with the second youngest grand-one - the Amamzing Miss Olivia.

... was away from any Nats/WBC access all day, but it seems all turned out well. Nats got a win - and over the Mets to make it sweeter. (I know, I know - it's ST. Don't sell the farm just yet.)

... then got home to see TV highlights from the Rogers Centre game (place used to be called SkyDome). Too bad my home buddies lost, but I was happy to see how much our own AD had to do with getting the W for the U.S.

... all in all, can't complain. (Oh yeah. Had a great early spring day here too, during which much snow turned to slush, and much slush to water.)

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 7, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Dunn is looking good, and a WBC game means a lot more than a spring training game.

Clutch 2RBI home run (but not by much). Two walks. Nice plays in RF.

When asked why he was so psyched about playing in the WBC, he said "I've never been in the play-offs before. These are my post-season"

Let's hope he can help change than with the Nats.

Posted by: nattydread1 | March 8, 2009 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

Thanks for the Strength Coach information. Looks like progress for sure.

The Kearns, Young, Pena notes seem dated. Did you write these a “few days” back.

Kearns has not played for 10 days now....how do you come up with "last few days"? Is it as simple as taking your information directly from Acta? Take a look at a calendar.....Kearns played the first game (well striking out twice with runners in scoring position with 5 runners left on base is not really playing is it?) on Feb 25. It is now March 8th.........How is that a "few days"? If you have not learned yet, and you really should have by now, Acta and the Nats spend more time spinning injuries than working on fundamentals. Do the work please….I did….. do not information directly from Acta when it comes to injuries.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 8, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I hadn't given thought to Manny being upset about the DR loss to teh Nederlands. However, I have a truly petty desire to see the DR lose, in spite of Manny:

If the DR gets knocked out in the first round, then Odais Perez has little chance to "showcase his talent" for other teams in the WBC. The bum reneged on a contract, and I don't want him to play for the Nats. However, it would serve him right if his little gambit blew up in his face, at the very least costing him some coin if he eventually signs with another team. That is not as mean as when others are hoping Aaron Crow will blow out his elbow, but I admit it is not a benevolent wish.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 8, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

Quick look at the MLB Spring Training stats shows Acta and the Nats not in step with the rest of the teams as far are getting ABs to young potential starters and stars. League leaders in AB's are at 32....Blake DeWitt types are all around 24.....Top National is Maxwell with 17 ABs. I think this is interesting and shows me a real difference in approach and philosophy by Nats. Time will tell if it is a good move or a bad move.......lots of factors to consider. How about asking Acta (with the data please, because we all know his first reaction is you are wrong and know nothing about baseball) why and where did this approach come from. I suspect it is a effort to keep injuries down. Given the injuries to date, Hill, Young, Kearns, Pena, Flores, Castillo how is it working for him?

Posted by: JayBeee | March 8, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I was watching the USA-Canada game for a while, but I guess he homered in the 7th inning or beyond... anyway, that's GREAT, I also liked seeing Dunn take out Pete Orr at second base to prevent him from getting off a good throw. :)

I'm so excited for the season to begin, I miss baseball. GO NATS.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 8, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I think it was the bottom of the 6th, Rachel (although the game was played in Canada, Team USA was the home team). There's a recap and box here:

I liked that Dunn play, too. In fact, I commented at the time that I'd like to see him do it to Chase (World Bleeping Champion) Utley.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 8, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'll second the thanks for the strength coach story. Hope that his methods translate well to baseball.

Thanks for the early lineup post, too.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 8, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse