All Offense

Anyone who's seriously interested in this game is likely listening to the dulcet tones of Charlie Slowes and Dave Florida on WFED-1500 AM, but in case NJ is your only outlet, here you go with an early update.

Collin Balester has been shaky through two innings. Not only did he allow a solo homer to Hunter Pence in the first and a two-run shot to Humberto Quintero in the second, but he has given up several hard-hit balls. Not terribly encouraging, though he has not walked anyone through two.

The Nats, however, batted around in the first. Guzman and Zimmerman singled, Johnson drew a bases-loaded walk, and lo and behold, Austin Kearns had the big blow, a two-out, three-run homer he drilled to left center. Through the top of the second, the Nats held a 5-3 lead.

And just as I finished typing that, Zimmerman hit a hard single to left that scored Guzman, who had tripled. I've seen this team for all of 45 minutes, and talked to guys in the clubhouse for all of three hours, but it seems like this lineup could be much, much deeper this year. I'd like to see how it feels when Adam Dunn comes back from the WBC.

I'll get you another update mid- or postgame if you're interested.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 9, 2009; 7:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups -- With WMP; and a 'Frowny' Update
Next: Balester on Balester

Comments

(psst Barry, I think you mean "dulcet")

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 9, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Colin "HR an Inning" Balester: to SYR

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 9, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

The "no-walks" statement has now proven false, as Balester issues a 2-out walk to Geoff Blum, and allows yet another run, this time to Michael Bourn, driven in by Darin Erstad.

Posted by: faNATic | March 9, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Balester's scheduled for four innings tonight - he barely made it through three. With four HR's allowed in seven innings so far in ST, can you say "assigned to SYR" around the 15th of March?

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

... yes please Barry. More updates.

... BTW, I'm following the Canada/Italy game on GameDay pitch-by-pitch (not even all of Canada can get it on TV!!) and Italy started a guy, normally a reliever - Daniel Serafini - who's literally mowing them down first three innings. Serafini is currently unsigned, has been in more than half a dozen MLB organizations at AA and AAA, and has pitched in the bigs for the Twins.

... anyway, he might be worth a look sometime for relief help, if tonight's game is anything to go by.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 9, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

This organization can't afford to kick talent to the curb. I still don't see how hitting .350 in the GCL is a bad thing. The competition is professional. It's not like he's hitting off the local Jr. College.

Posted by: Brue | March 9, 2009 6:49 PM

Well... actually it sort of is. The GCL is almost all 17 and 18 year olds. The really good JUCO teams with 19 and 20 year olds would play them pretty tough. Two years of physical maturity for a teenager makes a huge difference. That's the reason these kids lie about their ages. As a 22 year old with two years of pro ball experience, he ought to be in high A or AA this year at least. I say put him there and have him sink or swim.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 9, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, please Barry. Mid AND post-game.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | March 9, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

New pitcher for the Astros, Capellan, hits Kearns in the ribs with his first pitch, but The Weapon erases the HBP with a GIDP.

Posted by: faNATic | March 9, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Barry,

You mentioned Cesar Cedeno as being the first Dominican player to be known to fib about his age. Cesar was Frownie's coach last year in the GCL...coincidence?

Posted by: richardharless | March 9, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Small victories - Detwiler gets through another inning without giving up a run; Woo-Hoo!

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Well at least Barry didn't describe Charlie and Dave as dull, Sid.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 9, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and Dave talking about Barry's Panera habit.

Posted by: JennX_ | March 9, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Great! Charlie & Dave are ripping on Barry for his Panera habit.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Barry - you're getting a TON of love from Charlie & Dave in the bottom of the 4th. Survey says that you have a new hat.

Posted by: faNATic | March 9, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and since they seem to be referencing something they read here...

Hi Charlie and Dave!

Posted by: JennX_ | March 9, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@jennX:
You beat me to the punch line girl!

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious. But you put it more elegantly, BinM. :)

Posted by: JennX_ | March 9, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

The game is on 1500 AM?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 9, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Dunno, Rachel. Listening on MLB.com audio. $14.95/year and I always get my money's worth.

Posted by: JennX_ | March 9, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Italy/Canada:

... the Italians scored one each in their first four innings; Canada nothing.

... in the bottom of the fourth, Votto, Morneau and Bay each doubled, bringing the score to 4 - 2.

... Italy now on their second pitcher; Canada their third.

... still in four, one out and Canada with the bags packed.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 9, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Barry,

What does the new Kearns Batting stance and swing look like?

Detwiler was throwing all off speed stuff on TV last week. He never hit higher than 91 MPH with his fastball. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought he was drafted with a 95 MPH fastball. What happend, is the new mechanics hurting his fastball?

Posted by: JayBeee | March 9, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216:
Yes, the game is on 1500AM, if you can pull it in.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

WFED does not come through on any of the three radios in my house. I live in Arlington.

I tried going to WFED so I could listen online. Naturally, WFED prevents this and is playing some lousy, previously-taped program.

Soon we will get reports that no one is listening to the Nats on the radio. I am TRYING. Why do they make it so hard?

Posted by: ThinkingOne | March 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Italy/Canada:

... with bases loaded Pete Orr struck out. One more out, and it's 4 - 2 Italy after four.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Canada - Go Canucks. They need a win to stay alive for the q-finals.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Abysmal that the poor reception for the Nats radio broadcasts; Charlie and Dave deserve much better, as do the Nats, as do we!

Posted by: saltydad | March 9, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Barry, can you include the pitchers scheduled for the game in the lineups?

Posted by: tomfoc31 | March 9, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Italy/Canada:

... in their fifth, Italy hit another double, their fourth of the game. Sac puts him on third with one out.

... inning over; no harm done.

... coming up: Russell Martin, Joey Votto, Justin Morneau for the Canucks.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 9, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

@ThinkingOne:
Surrender & come to the "Dark-side". mlb.com's audio feed is $14.95 for the season, then send a "nasty-gram" to Bonneville Radio[http://www.bonneville.com/] (current owners of the Nationals' broadcast rights & WFED) regarding their position on the "Nationals' Radio Network".

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks BinM

Posted by: saltydad | March 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Italy/Canada:

(Canada also has four doubles in the game. Must be that SkyDome breeze blowing out.)

... bottom of five - Martin K's on a tip; too bad. Votto flies to centre.

... who are these Italian pitchers?? Where are the Canadian pitchers???

... infield single for Morneau; Jason Bay pop singles to first - two on/two out. Now up is Matt Stairs (from my home town) - tough break; he pops out to short.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 9, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Nationals' 6, Astros 5 coming into the bottom of the 6th. Nieves, then the top of the order coming up.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

MlB GameDay on mlb.com is free during spring training. So get a taste. $14.95 duirng the season.

Posted by: radiopbp | March 9, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

WFED has to black it out on their website per MLB.

Posted by: radiopbp | March 9, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Walk, 'phantom' FO @ 2B, Single/error, then K (looking) & a ground-out to end the inning. Still 6-5 Nationals, end of six.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I just got home and listening to Charlie and Dave for the first time this year! Barry's in Viera. I'M SO HAPPY!!!

(But isn't this Dave Jageler?)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 9, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

No no, it's Dave Florida, NatsNut.

Posted by: faNATic | March 9, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, okay. I thought Barry was being a smart aleck or something.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 9, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: NatsNut | March 9, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Joel Guzman @ 1B & not Whitney - the question begs why? Maxwell in for Patterson - YEA!

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to pay 14.95 for audio access to all games if the only team I listen to is the Nats. I'm DC suburbs resident in my Freshman year of college. I used to listen to the Nats on radio, but now I can't listen online without paying. And, as I said before, I don't want to pay 14.95 for something I used to have access to for free.

Posted by: moshemaizels | March 9, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Italy/Canada:

... sixth is over. Neither team did anything worth noting.

... seven: Italy's CF gets his third double; then scores on a single.

... 6 - 2 Italy; six outs to go. Canada just doesn't have the pitching to do the job (where's Shawn Hill when we need him?). But the lumber is strong, and it ain't over til Yogi says it is.

... I know it's the player's choice whether to play for their country or not, and I know a few had good reasons to say 'No'. But this Team Canada doesn't have Ryan Dempster, or Rich Hardin, or Eric Gagne, or Jeff Francis, or Eric Bedard (or Shawn Hill of course) pitching for them. With those guys on the roster, it could have been a very different Classic for Canada.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 9, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all...I'll get the free deal for spring training. We need FM again--and we've got the best radio team in baseball. I love Charlie and Dave's work.

Posted by: ThinkingOne | March 9, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

During ST, he's Dave Florida, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 9, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse