Belliard Leaves Game With Injury

[UPDATE, 9:15 p.m.] -- the team is saying that Belliard has a left ankle sprain. He will be reevaluated in the morning.

---

Ronnie Belliard left the game here in the fourth inning with an apparent left ankle injury. Belliard injured himself while running through the first base bag, trying to avoid a double play. The utility infielder fell to the ground after running through the bag, and remained on his back for a minute while the training staff, and Manager Manny Acta, attended to him.

He required assistance while leaving the field.

Details to come once we know more.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 18, 2009; 8:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Through Three Innings At HSCS
Next: Nats Vs. Fish And Other Updates

Comments

First inning, Dibble says that Olsen's fast ball is mid-90s. Anyone hear that? He throws 86-88 right now and not too many 88s. Dibble is just plain wrong.

Dibble says that Bonifacio hits well RH, which is totally backwards. Boni was absolutely pitiful hitting RH last year, way below Mendoza. He hits LH just fine, tho.

Olsen walks the pitcher, gives up a long fly ball hit to the pitcher, gives up two hard hit balls to Bonifacio HITTING RIGHTHANDED (Listen up Dibble).

Olsen will not win 10 games this year. He may lead the league in HR given up. We're looking at 32 of them this year.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 18, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Olsen was throwing 94 at the beginning of last year then at the end of the year he was throwing 86. I thought I read st. Claire fixed that....apparently not...

Posted by: theredskin | March 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Well, Milledge finally gets a hit, then he gets doubled off. D'oh!

Posted by: BGinVA | March 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

JayB, you don't really have to say anything. Milledge is doing your talkin for you.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Manny loves Lastings. Manny hates baserunning mistakes. And how about that hustle, getting back to first base? Trade him NOW.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

It was Grissom's fault? Fire Dibble now.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 18, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

It feels like a good friend has died. Or at least been diagnosed with some fatal disease.

Barry's love for Hill rubbed off on me. It sounds like Hill will absolutely not sign a minor league contract with us - heartbroken people don't do that.

We deserve it if he beats us a few years down the road, keeping us out of a playoff spot.

Posted by: kevinx | March 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Double play was Grissom's fault, not Milledge's. Shhh, don't tell JayBee. Oh, never mind. He's drunk already. But he'll be on here first thing tomorrow to tell is how bad Milledge is, wanna bet?

Posted by: nunof1 | March 18, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure I have ever seen Nick Johnson strike out three times in a game. Hard to imagine it just happened.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 18, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

The extra-base hits are KILLING us tonight.

FYI...left ankle sprain for Belliard

Posted by: BGinVA | March 18, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

What dreadful news on Hill. I remember when Chase Utley (I think) said that Hill had incredible stuff. He will be picked up and I suspect be a good reliever for another team.

Posted by: CountDemoney | March 18, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Why are the Nats outfielders playing so shallow? Way too many hit over their heads.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 18, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

oh...and Mock is looking horrible this inning.

Posted by: BGinVA | March 18, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Pity to see Bonifacio do well today, and the guys we traded him for do sort of poorly. I know it doesn't matter, but I wanted the immediate gratification, anyway.

I know I went to bed too early during the WBC game last night, but I am considering getting my book now, too. A 5-1 score in the late innings in spring is not as enticing, and I want to work into the Carpenter-Dibble pairing slowly.

Mock is getting crushed tonight.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 18, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Dibble's making me glad I don't have a TV. Not a fan.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@Count -- Hill will not be a reliever. However, he will be a terrific starting pitcher for some lucky team.

Posted by: fischy | March 18, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Could you imagine Rob Dibble and Ray Knight in the broadcast booth together? Yikes! I don't know who would talk more, because neither of them would let the other get a word in. Here's hoping that we're lucky enough to never be put in that situation...

Posted by: BGinVA | March 18, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevinx | March 18, 2009 8:49 PM

**************

You hit the nail on the head. This game is taking my mind off of sulking all night, but i'm just sick over it.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, Dibble didn't bother me. I thought he was okay.

But I'm with you on the sulking, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, every time PHS goes to bed early, it's rally time. Just sayin....

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse