Bernadina Hits A Walk-Off

The Nationals almost blew this one. They had a 6-0 lead heading into the seventh, and the Italians looked al dente. But over the final three innings, they mounted a comeback -- scoring two runs against Marco Estrada, three more against Wil Ledezma, and a final unearned run in the ninth against Gary Glover.

Entering the bottom of the ninth, both teams had decided that to forgo extra innings in the event of a tie.

But Roger Bernadina rendered that plan moot. On a 3-1 pitch from Cody Cillo with two outs, Bernadina belted a three-run homer to right field.

"It kind of saved the day a little bit," Manager Manny Acta said.

"It's spring training," said Bernadina, "but it always feels good."

By Chico Harlan  |  March 3, 2009; 4:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kasten Talks With Zim's Agent
Next: Perez Says Phone Never Rang

Comments

When Gary G got the win, did they play "Rock and Roll Part 2"?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 3, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Judging from the 3-1 count, it appears that Cillo served up a meatball.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | March 3, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I liked the "al dente," Chico, and the meatball, TS. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Wait, the Italians look to the tooth?

Posted by: Section506 | March 3, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

No, they fought tooth and nail.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Estrada and Ledezma are finissimo.

Posted by: faNATic | March 3, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Bill Ladson's write-up of the game on nationals.com praised Dukes, but didn't even mention Roger Bernadina and his heroics:

"Nationals at the plate: Outfielder Elijah Dukes went 2-for-3 with three RBIs. He had a two-run triple and a solo home run. Lastings Milledge, Wil Nieves and Ryan Zimmerman had RBI hits."

Hmm...Bill must have left the ballpark early to get to Budget before they closed so that he could exchange rental cars.

Posted by: BGinVA | March 3, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

In other Nationals' news from around the WBC, Pete Orr went 1 for 3, with a 2B & 2RBI's in Canada's win over TOR; Adam Dunn played RF-1B, went 0 for 4, with 1RS, 1RBI & 3K in team USA's win over the NYY.
Rivera (Puerto Rico) & Hanrahan (USA) were both DNP's.

Posted by: BinM | March 3, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina hits a walf-off. If we have to read that headline even once this year, at least before September, then something really wrong will have happened. Let's hope that our outfield is healthy and productive enough to keep Bernadina in AAA.

As for Estrada and Ledezma, it can't be good to nearly lose the game to the 6 Italians who play baseball, and the 19 AAAA Americans who play with them. I would love to see a box score to see if Robert fick got into the game.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 3, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Chico: You might wanna let your editors know that "The Hardball Times" link to the left is missing the letter "S".

Posted by: Juan-John | March 3, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The box is here, PHS:

I don't think that Fick made the final cut for the team, though. FWIW, I was reading a piece on the WBC site that said the Italian team was considered to one of Europe's best. Evidently baseball got started in the country during WWII.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6thandD | March 3, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

"I can't believe Bernadina, Ledezma, and Estrada aren't playing for Italy. I thought the requirement was a last name that ends in a vowel."

That's ending in an "O" or an "I".

They asked me to play twice, but I got a touch of the flu . . . .

Posted by: VladiHondo | March 3, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

A question to CHarlan, or anybody in Viera - is Jorge Sosa in camp yet, or is he going to show up with the minor-league players, knowing he still has a 50-game Major-League suspension ahead of him to get into shape?

Posted by: BinM | March 3, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Ah, that would explain why I didn't get the nod.

---

That's ending in an "O" or an "I".

They asked me to play twice, but I got a touch of the flu . . . .

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevincostello | March 3, 2009 5:50 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernie has some tools, but it is a crowded outfield. Have to give him credit that he is playing well and AAA may be a temporary stop as things will open up on the 2010 roster unless GM Stan can make some trades.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 3, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

"I liked the "al dente," Chico, and the meatball, TS. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 5:04 PM "
-----------
This fellow Al Dente, what position does he play?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 4, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I believe that he's a noodle-armed catcher.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 4, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse