Bowden Statement

Jim Bowden's statement, released this morning by the Nats:

I am today resigning my position as Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Washington Nationals. It is an emotional decision that saddens me, but one that I feel is in the best interests of two of the things I love most - baseball and the Washington Nationals.

My resignation is based upon my realization that my ability to properly represent the Washington Nationals has been compromised because of false allegations contained in the press. I am disappointed by the media reports regarding investigations into any of my professional activities. There have been no charges made, and there has been no indication that parties have found any wrongdoing on my part.

At the same time, while I have done nothing wrong, I place a greater value on the love, respect, and best interests of my family, friends, the game of baseball -- that I've served lovingly and faithfully for close to 25 years -- and, the reputation and future of the Washington Nationals, which I'm proud to have been a part of since its inception in 2004.

I believe I have had one of the great challenges afforded to any general manager in baseball. I was hired in November 2004 to make day-to-day baseball decisions on an interim basis with no ownership group, no permanent place to play and no legitimate minor league system. There was little to no budget for a major league roster. But, with the help of some very special assistants, we persevered. Today, we have some of the best owners in the game. We have one of the finest new ballparks, with a beautiful view of the Nation's Capitol. And, we are headed in the right direction with the nucleus of a young, competitive and interesting major league baseball team that is capable of turning into a contender in a short period of time.

I'm proud to have had the opportunity to be part of such a special organization with so many tremendous people who will always be my friends, and am also proud of my contributions to Major League Baseball, the Washington Nationals and the game.

I wish nothing but success to the Lerner Family, Stan Kasten and the Washington Nationals organization, and to the very special players and front office personnel with whom I've built strong and meaningful relationships. I also want to thank all of the players, managers, coaches, front office staff and ownership for treating my family members like their own.

In closing, let me state this is a bittersweet moment for me. While I will always have the experiences and fond memories of my relationships with the Nationals, Stan Kasten and the Lerner family, who have always been gracious and fair in their dealings with me, I will also carry with me the cold hard realization that my life has been turned upside down by a news media that prints entire stories attributed solely to anonymous sources who refuse to be identified and who are free to allege anything they choose for any purpose without fear of retribution. One can only understand the impact of false allegations, insinuations and innuendos by the press if they themselves been the subject of those false allegations. However, I also want to thank the many media members, who have dealt with me with fairness and professionalism, and they far outweigh the others.

Like anyone else, I have made mistakes in all areas of my personal and professional life, but I leave here with the true belief that I have done nothing intentionally to harm the Washington Nationals or Major League Baseball. The team, the fans and media can now turn all of their attention from the distractions off-the-field to where it belongs, on the baseball field for the Washington Nationals and their upcoming 2009 championship season.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 1, 2009; 9:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kasten Statement
Next: Bowden Resigns [Update]

Comments

HE'S BLAMING THE MEDIA?????

WHAT. AN. ASS.

Stay classy, Jim.

Posted by: sbiel2 | March 1, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Add Bowden's and Kasten's statement together and you have "I resigned because I was about to be fired".

Posted by: MKadyman | March 1, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

... no interest in reading entrails now. It's over; time to move on.

... Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 1, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

No doubt MKadyman, I agree with your statement. This absolutely was the classy way out. It remains to be seen whether he really had anything to do with recent allegations of skimming or not. However, I agree that this was probably, in the end, the right move so that the team can refocus on its true mission. May the 'plan' continue on its course to launch the Nats up the ladder in the NL east.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 1, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh dear, where will future hall of fame talent like Willy Mo Pena go now?

Posted by: rev_ollie | March 1, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Name Rizzo and let's get this moving! Can't wait to see his talent evaluation skills in action.

Posted by: ryaneades | March 1, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"I will also carry with me the cold hard realization that my life has been turned upside down by a news media that prints entire stories attributed solely to anonymous sources who refuse to be identified and who are free to allege anything they choose for any purpose without fear of retribution. One can only understand the impact of false allegations, insinuations and innuendos by the press if they themselves been the subject of those false allegations. However, I also want to thank the many media members, who have dealt with me with fairness and professionalism, and they far outweigh the others."

Richard Nixon could have said this too, as he was walking to the helicopter....

Posted by: wahoo2x | March 1, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Excellent. Let the healing, and competent trading, begin.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 1, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian1va1 | March 1, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope they don't drag out the GM appointment. This needs to be over. If they don't have a deal in place for an external hire, they need to tag give Rizzo the interim tag fast - and I'm talking by the end of the day - and move on.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | March 1, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Who gets the segway?

Posted by: BGinVA | March 1, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

He forgot to say that he will be spending more time with his family...during the ever other weekend, two weeks in the summer that he's allowed to see them.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 1, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Nats320 was right. We killed Bambi.

Posted by: Hendo1 | March 1, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

it's about time - looking forward to seeing the Nats put a better product on the field.

Posted by: DClegend007 | March 1, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Or, as Gerald Ford would have said, "Our long Nationals nightmare is over."

Best wishes to the next GM! I know now that our team will be in good hands.

Go NATS!

Posted by: luv2bikva | March 1, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

FINALLY!

Posted by: DontWannaMyPostID | March 1, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Or, as Gerald Ford would have said, "Our long Nationals nightmare is over."

dont think that line can be topped, luv2bik. brilliant!

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 1, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes to you, Jim Bowden. I'll always associate you with the return of baseball to DC and the exhilaration and joy that came with it.

Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication to this team. Best of luck to you.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 1, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

The last two weeks have reminded me of that Seinfeld story where George is holed up in his cushy handicapped bathroom at PlayNow while they try to force him out. Either that, or the episode where he was trying to get himself fired by the Yankees so he could take a job with the Mets, and he dragged the World Series trophy behind his car and desecrated Babe Ruth's uniform.

Either way, I hope Jim Bowden's post-Nationals career works out better than Jason Alexander's post-Seinfeld career has.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 1, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, NatsNut.

Posted by: Scooter_ | March 1, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Did he want the feds to come to his office to arrest him before he decided to leave? That would have been a funny headline - FBI Arrests Bowden as Marshalls Serve Eviction Notice for Failure to Pay Rent.

Whether the Lerners told him it was time to go, or he decided to save face and leave...this was long over due. DUI, FBI investigations, Identity theft, how much longer did his list of transgressions need to get before he thought it was anybody else's fault but his own. Can't blame the media for uncovering his dirt.

Posted by: Carole5520 | March 1, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

>Hey clown- Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out, and try not to drive drunk again tonight. I guess we'll see what Stan can do now that he can pick his own GM. Jimbo was never Stan's choice- he was 100% Mark Lerner's guy, and Mark's biggest mistake while trying to learn to be all grown up and run his daddy's baseball team.

I like this. And Jimbo thought it was the media that was pissed at him.

Of course, nobody cares why he's gone. Just that he's gone.

Posted by: Brue | March 1, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

... and now for something a little bit different for a Sunday morning. Another kind of baseball. (Presque Isle is about an hour and a half (eighty miles) north of my house.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 1, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Heard about it on the way to brunch, and immediately thought of one person who I knew would be ecstatic. I agree that Bowden's comments were classy (and it would also be classy to move on as far as the JimBo bashing goes, IMO). I've been impressed with the way that Stan has handled things to date. Will be interesting to see what happens as far as the next GM (will also be interesting to see who becomes the next target).

My thanks to Bowden for his part in bringing baseball back to DC, particularly for what he was able to do with limited resources.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 1, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

What a great story, natscan! Makes me want to go to one of their Virginia games and root for them. They ought to bring along a few snowballs for when the opposing team asks whether they brought any snow with them.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 1, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut and 1a,

I'm with you all. Lets's move on. I don't understand why people in today's society feel they must attack people with such vile. The man worked hard and he made some mistakes along the way. Does he deserve all the hate?

Jim,
When you took the job in 2005 you were given chicken crap and asked to make chicken salad with it, you fought the good fight, thanks for your efforts and the best of luck to you.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 1, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Kasten and Lerners,
Do the right thing and name Rizzo GM ASAP (Unless their is a MLB "Rooney Rule") in which case interview who you have to interview and then hire Rizzo.

I would also hire a good complement to take Rizzo's Assistant GM job. (Maybe someone with ties in depth knowledge of Japanese baseball, or someone who can bring a different background to our team)

Couple issues I'm concerned about. This better not give Acta a pass. I'm not saying he has had a lot to work with, but I always felt that if Frank Robinson was worth 10 extra wins, that we lost an extra 10 due to Acta. I would definetely evaluate him closely this year.

Posted by: PNatsFan | March 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse