Breaking News: Cabrera Gets Hit, Guzman Takes Pitch

Little moments that seem amusing now, but will be forgotten by ... oh, 4 this afternoon.

Daniel Cabrera came to the plate for his first at-bat of the spring. In his career with the Baltimore Orioles, Cabrera had 14 major league at-bats. He struck out 14 times. That's remarkable.

Yet against Jurrjens, he stepped in and slapped a ball on a line to right field. A single. And it is simply a tragedy that TBS is not broadcasting this game, because it appeared Cabrera had never ever run at all as he tore off to first. He arrived in something of a crab-walk there, almost stumbling over the bag. Uncharted territory, perhaps.

Cristian Guzman was so stunned by the events that he proceeded to watch a strike sail by him. Then he popped to third. Then Lastings Milledge singled, allowing Cabrera -- think giraffe on roller skates -- to take second. Ryan Zimmerman followed with a hard double to right-center, the opposite way. Cabrera scored, and Milledge nearly caught him by the time they reached the plate. Nats 2, Braves nil.

Nick Johnson then walked. Austin Kearns bounced into a fielder's choice. End of top of the third.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 12, 2009; 1:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nada Through Two
Next: Through Four: Nats 2, Braves 2

Comments

Nothing of value to add here, other than it's really really great to have you back, Barry.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | March 12, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

New posted....

So, I'm bored, there's no audio and the highlight of my day (aside from seeing the wife and daughter) is monitoring students while they struggle through a midterm...so I was thinking--without getting into record prediction, what are the prospects for our Nats?

One of the ways back in my coaching days that we used to approach the season's opponents was fairly simple--did the opponent get better or worse (hard to quantify yes but not trying to be too Kippy (or nerdy) at this moment) compared to the last season.

What are your thoughts on the teams the Nats will face?
My quick analysis:
Mets (6-12 vs. Mets last year) Better. But they still stink!
Phillies (6-12) Slightly worse. still solid, not sold on another great year from Lidge and Moyer.
Braves (12-6. Really. The Braves stink too!) Worse. Good starting pitching, shaky bullpen. Just need to control Larry and McCann, rest of lineup does not scare me or Kip.
Marlins (3-14) Worse. No Jacobs or Willingham, lots of promise but they are beatable.

In my very simple analysis, it would seem the Nats can win some more games against the NL East.

Would be interested in hearing your views....about the NL East and the rest of the League.

Posted by: jfromPG | March 12, 2009

Posted by: jfromPG | March 12, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Boz reported this could be the worst athlete we've ever seen in a Nats uniform. I saw him running in the outfield after his last start, I think we have not seen the last of these comic episodes.

Posted by: sjt1455 | March 12, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Love the descriptions Barry. Good to have you back.

Posted by: Joran | March 12, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

High comedy, on the field and in the press box.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The Snark is back!

I don't care about a Spring Training game, but reading Barry's blogs about it makes the day go by a lot easier.

Posted by: AshburnVA | March 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I was actually in suspense there, hoping that someone would drive Cabrera in.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 12, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Austin Kearns bounced into a fielder's choice"

Austin doing what he does so well, grounding out. If I close my eyes I can see it about 100 times a season.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

people are walking by my desk wondering why I'm cracking up at the computer.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

In response to J's post:

A lot of Mets fans I've talked to think that by bringing in Putz and K-Rod, the Mets have shortened the games to 7 innings. I'm not sold on this. First: I wonder if Putz will be as good out of the closer's role. You see it from time to time that a closer is asked to do something else, but the fire isn't there because he's not the stopper anymore. I've also heard this in quotes from some closers. Second: K-Rod isn't 62 saves good. Obviously, you have to be good to save that many games, but his whip was kinda high last year.

They will obviously be better with the addition of these guys, but I don't know that they are the second coming like many Mets fans seem to think.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | March 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Barry, please work on your headline-writing skills. "Cabrera Gets Hit" vs "Cabrera Gets A Hit" - big difference in what the reader takes away after reading this. Not as big a deal as yesterday's "Zimmermann Done" gaffe, because no one is going suicidal after reading today's headline. But a problem nonetheless.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 12, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut: I'll wager a guess here and say they're on to the fact that you're looking at non-work-related content. ;)

Posted by: JennX_ | March 12, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I think its a conspiracy. Jurrjens and Cabrera agreed to give each other a nice BP type pitch to hit. Note that they've each got a hit.

Posted by: Bazz | March 12, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

My 20-game-plan booklet just arrived. More than Spring Training or anything else, it's actually holding these tix in my hand that makes me realize spring is truly just around the corner.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 12, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

It's so freakin' adorable this kid gets his first hit off Jair Jurrjens.

I hope the team gave him the highest fives and hardiest back slaps when he got bacak to the dugout.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 12, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

it will be interesting to see someone who is more awkward-looking at the plate than patterson was. it always shocked me that patterson could occasionally hit the ball, as uncomfortable as he looked up there.

Posted by: sec231 | March 12, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

... commenting from the previous post...

I wonder about the first thing you hear when you return to the dugout after being put out 9-3...

Posted by: wigi | March 12, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The Phillies are still the team to beat. Can lidge repeat what he did last year, not likely but they are still a very good team.

The Mets have improved their bullpen for this year, but I'm not sold on KRod for much past this year. they still don't have any quality starters after Santana and Pelfrey. They also don't have a right fielder and I guess they are going to use the Rookie Murphy in Left. They also have questions behind the plate. The Mets are an okay team but nothing great.

Braves have made some improvements and they are probably slightly better than last year.

Marlins you can never count out. They look like they will be bad on paper but they always seem to find a way to win. It looks like Bonifacio will lead off for them and Ramirez will finally bat 3rd. I will say they are a push, however, the nats should be able to win a couple more games against them since they were so bad last year.

Posted by: brothbart | March 12, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

By the headline I thought Cabrera threw at someone and they responded by hitting him back.

Posted by: visionof75 | March 12, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

... that's what I love about baseball: being able to laugh at someone for doing something we couldn't even attempt to try.

... keep up the good work Barry. It's almost like being there with you.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 12, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Agreed with all the Barry comments.....he is the best and 2008 might have been much different to watch if he was here. I have been to Redskins Park.....nothing to see there, I wonder if Barry would come back to baseball at some point. Baseball beat must beat writing the 6th story of the day about a practice at the park.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 12, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

kippin' albatross-flavored new post

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 12, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The only thing missing from the scene you described Barry, is Cabrera wearing a pith helmet as he explored the uncharted territories known as the basepaths.

Posted by: hisownfool1 | March 12, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

what flavor is the new post? it's bloody albatross flavor! bloody sea bloody bird flavor, mate!

Posted by: sec231 | March 12, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I haven't read through the comments yet so maybe this has been noted, but you gotta watch the headlines, Barry. I thought that Cabrera was plunked.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 12, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Barry you are the man. Ever thought about being the Redskin insider?

Posted by: rskinz34 | March 12, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse