Cabrera, Wells, J. Tav.

We're here in the sixth inning; one team or another is winning 4-2. Let's put it this way: Daniel Cabrera's team is losing. He let up four runs in four innings. Kip Wells, the other starter, let up two runs in two innings. This is strictly a KYOS (Keep-Your-Own-Score) party, so a few distractions -- including a phone interview I just had to do -- can derail all the record keeping.

That said, we just got our first look at Julian Tavarez who looked sharp. Listen, we'd all like to strike out the side to make a first impression, but then again, we'd all like to wed Jennifer Lopez; it doesn't always happen like that. But wait -- it did happen. Tavarez K'd Ian Desmond, Leonard Davis, and Wily Mo Pena in the fifth. There was also a double from the GBE (Great Brad Eldred) mixed in, but no runs scored.

In the following inning, Tavarez struck out another, Pete Orr, and then plunked Joel Guzman in the back of the left shoulder. He escaped the inning when Jorge Padilla hit into an easy 6-4-3 double play.

Meantime, a few unidentifiable players are working out in the right field corner with strength coach John Philbin. They're all bouncing around with a few purplish exercise balls, and the way the light is reflecting off those giant orbs, it almost looks like a Cirque Du Soleil spectacle. But again, much quieter.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 17, 2009; 12:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Organ Is Quiet, The Crowd Doesn't Roar
Next: Post-Intrasquad Wrap (And A Big Goof)

Comments

Thanks, Chico! The update is much appreciated.

Posted by: arlingtonresident1 | March 17, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"The Weapon" K'd, I'm stunned, I tell you stunned.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 17, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Tavares already plunking? His own teammate??

Posted by: NatsNut | March 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

He appears to take off the beer goggles when pitching. Good for him.

Posted by: Section138 | March 17, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

You're funny, Chico. Thanks for the updates.

Did Guzman say something bad about J-Lo?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 17, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

ohhh, I know. Guzman is the one who wrote "Team 1 sucks."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 17, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So now that JT has (unofficially) pitched for us, I'm ready to put him on my roster. Wells was signed to add inventory, but Tavarez was brought in to make the team, I think. I'm not sure if they know how they're gonna use him, but with potentially two rookies in the rotation, JT gives them a rubber arm to make up some of the difference.

So my roster predition:

Guzman ss
Milledge cf
Zimerman 3b
Dunn lf
Dukes rf
Johnson 1b
Flores c
Hernandez 2b

Willingham lf/1b
Harris inf/of
Nieves c
Belliard inf
Kearns of (too much $$$ for the FO to dump, imo)

Lannan
Olsen
Cabrera
Zimmermann
Martis

Hanrahan
Tavarez
Rivera
Bergmann
Ledezma
Young
Mock

Posted by: sec307 | March 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to hear that both Hill and Bergmann were watching the game, but was either one wearing a Strasburg jersey?

Posted by: lowcountry | March 17, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

How badly does Cabrera have to pitch to lose his starting slot? He's starting to scare me as much as the bullpen.

Sec314

Posted by: arlingtontwb | March 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

when JT was used for an inning/game last year, he had 51K in 53 IP. use him the same way? fine wine or fine whine?

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 17, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"Tavares already plunking? His own teammate??"

Good thing he's not in mid-season form yet, or we'd be short a Guz.

Posted by: joebleux | March 17, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

arlingtonwb, I share your concerns about Cabrera. He no longer throws as hard as he did in his "glory" days and his K-W ratios have been worsening, but we are told not to worry because he's moving to an easier league and won't have to face any more big bad AL DHs. Somehow, I'm not reassured.

Posted by: CapPeterson | March 17, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

New posts up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Harlan, why are you so hard with the youngs players? special with Daniel Cabrera who as far as I know is a very hard working guy and who I´m preaty sure will be the best national league and nationals team player this year. It´s like if you enjoy when some of those dedicate guys make a mistake in the field.

Posted by: noelmanzano | March 17, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse