Fourth Inning: Marlins 5, Nats 0

With Cabrera unavailable, this has turned into what Manny Acta called a "bullpen day" -- a inning-by-inning procession of relievers. So far, Julian Tavarez, Saul Rivera and Joel Hanrahan have already gone one inning, though it seems like Hanrahan might pitch a second inning, too. Tavarez put the team in an immediate hole by delivering the first six pitches of the bottom of the first for strikes. However, three of these pitches yielded hits, including a thunderous three-run homer by Hanley Ramirez.

Tavarez's final line: 1 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 21 pitches (16 strikes)

In the third, Hanrahan served up a two-run homer to Dallas McPherson

Much of Florida's Grapefruit League Region is getting pummeled by rain right now, and folks here who've been checking out the radar believe there is little chance this game finishes. The Nats are already down 5-0. Washington's first hit came in the fourth, from Lastings Milledge. But then -- as Milledge was leaning ever-so-slightly toward second looking to steal -- a pickoff attempt caught him dead. He didn't even get to slide back.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 29, 2009; 2:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Technological And Muscular Spasms
Next: Bullpen Day

Comments

Milledge nailed running from FIRST to second...

Posted by: HenryStin | March 29, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like he got nailed going from second to first. The kid is learning baserunning slowly, although he was the best of a bad lot last year.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 29, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Interesting....who would have anticipated this....."Milledge was leaning ever-so-slightly toward second to a steal -- a pickoff attempt caught him dead. He didn't even get to slide back." - Chico

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Off topic:

I asked this question at NFA but got no response. Maybe it was a dumb question...maybe it's because I'm not one of the group...

Whatver the case may be, I would like to get some insights...

The question is/was/still is:

I know that draft picks cannot be traded, but I was wondering if, as the holder of the first overall pick, the Nats could begin negotiations with Boras/Strasburg now as opposed to after making the selection?

I know that it is allowed in the NFL (just for the first overall pick), but have no idea if this is a doable concept in Baseball or if it even makes sense…

Posted by: TimDz | March 29, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Milledge strikes out chasing a pitch "way out of the strike zone" -- Marlins Radio Network......

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@TimDZ:

When teams get closer to the actual draft, I believe teams can begin talking to players' "representatives" about contracts. The difficulty lies in that the NCAA (& high-school) seasons are still in play, so no direct contact can be made between the player & the team that is interested until the draft.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Where would we be without your amazing insights regarding Milledge's missteps every day, JayB?
Milledge screwed up in a spring training game- LET'S CUT HIM NOW!

Posted by: Offense-offensive | March 29, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

JayBee, is that one mapped to F11?

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | March 29, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Alright we get it. You're going to try to turn Milledge into the next top target for angry bloggers. Over the next few months you'll post multiple times per day endlessly ranting against a 23 year old man as though everything he does serves as further evidence that he is not worthy of existence. You'll drone on endlessly subjecting others to your boorish behavior and drive a number of otherwise interested nats fans away from the site just to escape your campaign of hate. Hopefully this will all help compensate for the disappointments in your own life.

Posted by: natbiscuits | March 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@bisquit:

JayBeee has a tendancy to single out players every year for his pointed commentary. To begin 2009, Milledge is his primary target. He's a fan, he buys tickets to games, he pays attention to the team - he has every right to voice his opinion.

That said, and while I agree with JayBeee that Lastings may not be the best CF solution for the Nationals, the constant nit-picking of his performance gets old - fast, imo.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Milledge will be 24 years old in a week....he has been a professional baseball player for 7 seasons and this will be his 8th season in pro ball. He has been given a job he has not earned (opinion sorry). He has been quoted as saying he does not intend be a professional baseball player on anyone's terms but his own. If he can not improve his way he is fine with not improving at all.

You are correct……In 2007 I said Logan and Lopez as the biggest problem players other than pitching. In 2008 I noted Lopez, Lo Duca and Estrada as the biggest issues other than the pitching......My track record is pretty good.....I watch carefully and when a see players that are not accepting coaching and not learning from their mistakes I point it out. When I see players that are not hustling or playing selfishly I point it out.

Many of you think I don't know what I am talking about so until June as agreed I will just state the facts as I did today......Then I will go back to opinion about Milledge.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

My man JayBeee is the only one around with a perfect track record. Haven't you figured that out by now?

Posted by: AnAppallingLackOfBaseballKnowledge | March 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I never said you don't know what your talking about or that you don't have a right to an opinion, I said your boorish behavior and constant harping is tiresome and unrelenting. Feel free to voice an opinion occasionally, but (and I think I speak for more than just myself) please, please don't voice the same opinion 12 times per day.

I have been a season ticket holder for 5 years too, I know a little bit about baseball too, I'm a big fan too, but I don't use those facts to justify my own bad behavior.

(And really, are you going to justify picking on him because he's 24, not 23?)

Posted by: natbiscuits | March 29, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

And your track record is not good, its whiney.

Posted by: natbiscuits | March 29, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

ABM,

Where have you been? You have been awfully quite from the day this past fall when you went on and on about how the Jimbo, Stan, Lerner front office was operating just fine and no changes were needed or to be expected......how did that work out for you? I was wrong as I have told you before....I thought Stan would leave the dysfunction......but I knew something had to give.....I think if Smiley/DR stuff did not break when it did, Stan would not have had the hammer with Mark Lerner to push Jimbo out, but again I was wrong......Oh and your new moniker says a lot about the type of person you are......

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

You think I am "picking on him".....really? He is a grown man making close to $1/2 Million as year. He says he does not care if he does not improve his game. He is not improving his game..........He is making the same bone head mistakes as last year.....even worse in Spring Training.....Does he have any accountability for that in your world? If Acta would hold him accountable he would likely learn faster and I would be fine with that if he did indeed make progress……but Acta just gives him the starting job and lead off job while others who have proved more sit? That is just not right.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

That rant's mapped to the F12 key?

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | March 29, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse