In The Fifth: Mets 2, Nats 1

[UPDATE, 8:44 p.m.] -- Wow, this game is rolling. Since we last talked, Santana struck out the side in the sixth. Then he retired the side in the seventh on seven pitches. He's retired 10 in a row. It looks like the seventh was his last inning, too. If that's the case, his final numbers for this game are ridiculous -- 75 pitches, 61 strikes.

Lannan, meantime, is done after six. He coughed up a run in the final frame, thanks to a leadoff walk, a David Wright single, and then a two-out Fernando Tatis single up the middle. That gave the Mets a 3-1 lead.

Lannan's line: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 85 pitches, 52 strikes.

Garrett Mock now pitching.

---

John Lannan has recorded 12 outs so far. Eleven of those have come by way of ground balls. Now to be fair, one of those was a sacrifice bunt. Another was a double play, which I'm counting as two. But the point stands. Lannan, aside from one bumpy inning, is keeping it low right now. Four innings, two runs, four hits. All of those hits came in the Mets' second inning.

In his latest inning, Lannan retired the side on just nine pitches. He's due to go at least one more, but perhaps the team will let him carry deeper. He's only thrown 48 pitches so far, and is working on a 90-pitch limit. If he doesn't hit the mark on the mound, he might just retreat to the bullpen. The Nats were also hoping to get a few innings from Mike Hinckley, Steven Shell and Joel Hanrahan tonight.

Meantime...

* Alberto Gonzalez has a penchant for dazzling. To end the second, he charged a lazy chopper hit by Jose Reyes and barehanded the ball in a perfect, fluid motion. There was almost no distinction between the fielding and the throwing; his arm was already pulling back as the ball rose to meet his barehand. A flinch later, it was gone. 6-3. Pretty cool. Hernandez also tripled in the bottom of the second, driving in Washington's lone run.

* Topping Lannan's nine-pitch fourth: Johan Santana retired the side on six pitches in the top of the fifth.

* Let's Go Orange.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 27, 2009; 8:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Outfield Squeeze
Next: The Mets Feel Like The Mets

Comments

For those interested, Strasburg has 7 Ks through 3 innings. He did give up a lead off HR. He struck the same guy on three pitches the next time.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 27, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Chico - "Let's Go Orange"? Oh, Syracuse. For a minute, I thought you'd come out as a Mets fan (phew...).

Posted by: BinM | March 27, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Lannan gave up 3 ER in 6. A quality start, although not as good as he has pitched. Hopefully our guys will start hitting.

I am afraid I have no team to root for in the NCAA tournament, as my league almost always goes out in the first round. Syracuse won that multiple overtime game against CT, though, so I am willing to go with them for pure grit.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 27, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Lannan had a tough 6th inning. From the box score, it looks like he gave up a run on 3 hits and a walk.
Still, 6 IP and 3 runs = a quality start. Lannan is the man! I love the future of our pitching staff: Lannan, Zimmermann, and Martis!

Posted by: usmc53 | March 27, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I see that my connecting to Syracuse is silly, as they are doomed. I divvied out my loyalties with all the skill of a Nats fan, clearly.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

@+1/2 St:

I hear you in the NCAA - Utah (#5seed) entered the tourney as an underdog to Arizona (#12seed). Vegas knew, why didn't I listen?

Posted by: BinM | March 27, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

BinM-

I am denser than most this time. I actually filled out a bracket on-line, but in ways I can't understand, I did not correctly submit it. I don't know who I chose to win through the first several rounds, so I can either claim to have been cheated, or more honestly express relief that my lack of basketball clairvoyance was hidden by a glitch.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 27, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

It seems that Ian Desmond is batting now. i am afraid that the poor kid won't even enjoy the advantage that Kory Casto had. I would hope that the team would come up with a shortstop better than this kid who has not grabbed the clear opportunity.

Casto got to be ni the majors, although he clearly does not rate. Mike Hinckley came out of nowhere, and might make it, but only as a middle reliever. Desmond was a bigger deal to us original Nats fans. We were overawed by any scent of a prospect at all. He enjoyed many months of attention, but will probably never get 15 minutes of fame.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 27, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg:

5 IP
11 K
0 BB
2 H
1 ER

Posted by: db423 | March 27, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Boswell! Are you ever gonna publish a mea culpa after Strasburg wins a Cy Young?

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

mlb.com lists a Guzman, J as the pitcher for WSH beginning the 8th inning - WTF?

Posted by: BinM | March 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you, Fischy. And, no, Boz won't.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 27, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

BinM,

I was thinking the same thing! Was Mock the only reliever who made the trip?

Posted by: brewer1 | March 27, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

It's Glover...

Posted by: swang30 | March 27, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Chico, the Orange got schwacked. But, they did have a great season, that UCONN game was awesome.

My Terps had a solid season, and I think the 3 part smear campaign by the Post (Prsibell/Woodward and Yanda/Bernstein) actually rallied the troops to a NCAA berth and 1st round win. I'm now rooting for Pitt because I like their physical style of play.

Anyway, Lannan just seems to always have a quality start. He's got onions and he guts it out.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I had the same thought about the orange, BinM. Ack! Ptooey!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 27, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the appeal of the whole bracket thing, but then I'm pretty much all baseball, all the time.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 27, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

1a,

I feel the same way about soccer, you run, you kick the ball, you fake an injury. And NASCAR, here they come, there they go, great, now what.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 27, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I feel like Manny Acta should adjust the rotation so Cabrera faces the opposing teams aces. When he's not all over the place he can game with these guys, when he blows it and we lose 13-1, oh well, we probably would have lost 3-1 with Lannen on the mound. For the nats to have any chance at .500 this year our quality starts need to be againced the middle and bottom half of nl east rotations. Lannen can hang with any #2 guy out there and the bullpen, surprisingly, doesn't look too bad all the sudden.

Posted by: hsukGO | March 27, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse