Kasten Talks With Zim's Agent

Jim Bowden's resignation has not interfered with the Washington Nationals' hope to reach a contract extension for third baseman Ryan Zimmerman. Today, team president Stan Kasten met in person at Space Coast Stadium with Zimmerman's agent, Brodie Van Wagenen, to discuss a familiar subject -- a long-term contract -- in somewhat altered circumstances.

Before this discussion, the latest in an attempt to strike a deal before Opening Day, Bowden always represented Washington in the talks. Since Bowden's resignation on Sunday, Kasten has assumed a dual role -- though he has not named an interim general manager.

The sides had last talked less than two weeks ago, when Bowden was in Phoenix with Van Wagenen for Zimmerman's potential arbitration case, which was thwarted with a one-year, $3.325-million deal.

---

By the way, the quote of the day comes from Italy's bench coach Mike Hargrove. Asked how his association with the Azzurri came about, the former big league manager said, "I know how to spell lasagna."

Here in the bottom of the eighth, the Nats lead Italy, 6-5. Italy has scored all of its runs during the last two innings.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 3, 2009; 3:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Azzurri Take A Bruising
Next: Bernadina Hits A Walk-Off

Comments

get IT done.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 3, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Estrada isn't lasting too long with the Nats. His ERA is 18.00 so far this Spring!!!!

Posted by: FloresFan | March 3, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Chico, according the box score, the Nats are up 6-2 not 6-5. Are you sure thats not a typo?

Posted by: FloresFan | March 3, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Forget it, I just hit refresh and it is 6-5.

Posted by: FloresFan | March 3, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Are we really going to lose to Italy? Estrada sucked last year why would he even be in camp this year? Oh and Dunn struck out 3 of 4 AB's today.......And how did Kearns get a blister on his had the first week in camp? Seems Kearns did not think he needed to work on his hitter at all over the winter.....hey if you are getting $8 million no matter what you hit I guess you can rationalize anything...thanks Jimbo for yet another EX RED bust.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Did the standings zero out for this game, as it's a sort of exhibition exhibition game?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It's 6-5, 6-9 with the afro.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 3, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Stats rather.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

and they've tied it...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Hargrove say he lost his heart for the game?

Posted by: Section506 | March 3, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Ledezma, ERA 40.50

Posted by: Section506 | March 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Como se dice "walkoff"? I'll have one of those, please.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina - 3-run walk-off HR.

Posted by: faNATic | March 3, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

FREE BASEBALL!!!! (oh, wait . . .)

Posted by: lowcountry | March 3, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

heh heh, I called it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Dukes for assistant hitting coach?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess I do need to update my box score every 30 seconds.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 3, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

You did, nf1a! But the real question is, did you point over the fence when you did so?

Posted by: faNATic | March 3, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Nice call, 1a! Hooray, we're 1-0 in the WBC. Ahem.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 3, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I should have, faNATic, in the direction of Ladson's rental car.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

In other news, interesting about the ongoing talks with Zimmerman's camp.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that IF Zim is going to be signed to a long term deal they'll need to get into Markakis territory, otherwise Ryan and Brodie will be glad to ride out this year in hopes of finally putting up offensive numbers to justify such a deal (or better).

I think Stan wants to make this happen now to take the attention off Bowden and back onto the players, but to get it done I'm guessing you need 5 years $50 mil, mabye even buying out/voiding the current '09 contract or as an extension on it (so the overall numbers would either be 5 yrs $50 mil or 6 years $53 mil) with a slew of performance bonuses (All stars, 600ABs/yr, gold gloves, etc.).

Posted by: estuartj | March 3, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

the stats for the MLB boxscore are for this game only as it is considered an exhibition game and not a true ST game.

In addition to Dunn's 3 K performance against the Yankees for Team USA, Pete Orr played for Team Canada today and went 1-3 with a double and 2 RBI's in Canada's 6-4 win over the Blue Jays.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Posted by: erocks33 | March 3, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

estuartj: "I'm wondering what the team expects from AH to be the starter?"

Sorry my browser does not update and show posts after my last post sometimes. I think that Manny has pretty much told us he does not expect AH to be a leadoff guy, and they have much better options to bat 2d. My guess is he is the #8 hitter. I think they would be very happy if he could maintain a .270 average, with enough walks to have an OBP of .325, and very solid defense. If he does that, then you can surround Guz with two rangy plus fielders (FotF and 360). Much below that, and you start to want to work platoons with Belli and Willie, and run AG out there if he's the hotter bat of the Alberto Anderson combo. AH or AG at 2d becomes essential if Dunn or Willingham is your first baseman, post Nick's trade or injury.

As for the Nick speculation, his contract expires this year and he can walk (limp). A sharp GM will try to move him if he's healthy, either during the spring or at the deadline. The As were supposed to have interest in him, and a Nick and Nomar combo would allow Giambi to DH, with Barton or Carter taking over next year. I don't think there is much of a question about Nick's O or D when he is healthy. Even last year, his April numebrs were down, but Hardball Times said he was the single least lucky hitter in baseball that month.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 3, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, erocks. That's what I suspected.

Also, new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 3, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

That is great that Stan and BrodieVW met together. That is good to hear. Hopefully we get news tomorrow that the long-term deal is a done deal!!!

I predict $6 to $8 million per year!!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 3, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

That is great that Stan is meeting with BrodieVW. I am hoping a deal will be announced tomorrow!

I predict $6 to $8 million per year.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 3, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse