Late Lineups

Sorry, forgot this earlier. And a couple of things about Tracee's post about Redding: The word among the Mets folks is that Livan Hernandez now has the inside track on being New York's fifth starter.

Nationals:

Tatis -- 3
Valentin -- 5
Kielty -- 7
Reed -- 8
Castro -- 2
Pelfrey -- 1

Keep in mind that Charlie Slowes and Dave Florida/Jageler are here for the weekend broadcasts, so you can listen to them in the greater DC area. (Which, of course, means I don't have to post very many updates, right?)

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 14, 2009; 12:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redding, Cordero Updates
Next: Nats Win! Nats Win!

Comments

Barry - Sorry, but the feed is from WFAN (NY) for today's game. I don't think Charlie & Dave broadcast today, but will do the Viera games later this week.

Posted by: BinM | March 14, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ah, my bad - the WFED feed is indeed available. Woo-Hoo!

Posted by: BinM | March 14, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

BinM,

C & D are on WFED on mlb audio. I'm listening to them now.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Barry,
play-by-play updates may not be necessary Barry, but please, supplement C&D with editorial comments and snark. Don't leave us with a lineup post.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

It's like you read my mind, NatsNut. Updates, not necessary. Snark/editorial comments welcome.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Frank 20,
Per your request I've sent softball info. Check your email and contact me off line.

Let's play two!

Jerry

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | March 14, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey NatsNut,

... sorry to be coming back late (had to go get groceries, don't you know).

"... that sinking feeling we *could* end up with another Felipe Lopez already, practically days after Bowden's leaving seemed like a fresh start from all that."

... seems to me by that logic (and I agree there's some logic to it), the same could be said for Kip Wells (or Pedro or Duaner if they were to come). Seems to me that a bad couples of apples in a bushel since past doesn't translate in a rotten piece of fruit in today's bowl.

... somewhere along the line, the Nats have to feel confident in taking a risk even if such a decision hearkens back to Jim B.'s acquisitional prowess.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 14, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Brought forward from way back:

---
oh, and thanks alot for the link on avares,joebleux. Now I have a knot in my stomach.

---

No problem, NatsNut -- I hate being the only person in the room with an impending feeling of doom.

Posted by: joebleux | March 14, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Livo's on - let's score some runs.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

[another retread]

... I want Jack McGeary to succeed for any number of reasons, but the highest on my list is to show it can be done.

... I believe in baseball, but I also believe hugely in education. It has always been one of the things I've appreciated about the college athletic system over the Canadian one. Up here, you pretty well have to choose between college or pro sports, whereas as I understand it, American kids can have an opportunity to do both - to varying degrees of success.

... for Jack to stand firm in his desire to make this marriage work is highly admirable and I give him all the credit. But hey; baseball is a business and the Nats deserve a lot of accolades too. They are fully cognisant of the risk they take in letting him do it this way. In this, I have to give full marks to Jim Bowden.

... so I want him to succeed - to show other kids coming after him, that it can be done, and that it should be considered. Who knows? maybe the whole system of college-prepared pro athletes might take a huge step forward.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 14, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where my friend can get an mlb gift card other than online?

Can you get them at the ballpark and is the box office open these days?

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Your friend should be able to get an mlb gift card at places that have a good selection of gift cards. I've seen them at Giant, Safeway, and Wal-Mart, if memory serves. Not sure that you can use a generic MLB card at the brick-and-mortar team store, but I've done so through the online Nats shop.

Don't know about the box office but I would guess that the team store would be open during the hours that Nats Park tours run over the winter. I know that the store was open when we took a weekend tour after the season ended.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

nunof1 wants to separate lenny and lastings, in re criticism of them. fair enough. please look at his BB last year. please look at his PA, if you want to front his HRs. Nick, Adam, even Elijah wear out pitchers by waiting for what major league hitters live for: their pitch, one they can drive. all nats should pay attention to this approach. it's why FOTF will impress this year; fastballs in his zone. lastings will continue to jump at the first pitch; if he raises his Tango OBP by 20 pts this year (an amazing, extremely unlikely jump), he will then reach Zim's level of 2008. but everyone else will have left him far behind (including Zim). trade milledge for a starter NOW, while he has value and potential (which he will NOT reach, no matter how much nunof1 wishes it to be). don't forget his defensive liabilities. where is the value? in which area?

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 14, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

For someone who hasn't been following the Nats for the past few years, nova-g-man (as stated in an earlier post of yours), you seem to have a handle on the players and their skills. You must be a quick study! ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Cliff Lee, or Tim Lincecum?
If he's such an obvious bum, who the kip do you think will trade for him?

********************************
Posted by: nova_g_man | March 14, 2009 3:03 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

thanks, 1a. :)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, NatsNut!

In other news, the lumberjack strikes (or should I say hits) again!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Kip Yeah!! Go Eldred!!

(love it cevans)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

besides Seattle, I mean.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Nats tie it up! (Normally I would add a "kip, kip, hooray," but given the new usage, I'm not so sure I should.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Go Kory!!

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

He must have heard you, NatsNut, as he just scored!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

This game's coming alive!

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for Charlie and Dave today. The live boxscore is sooooo last inning.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Molina gets it done in the top of the ninth! 3-2 and still hitting.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

hehe, is that booing that I hear?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Why yes, yes it is. 4-2 and time for a pitching change.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Go on with your bad self! Kip kip Coray, Bynum! RBI triple!

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Other scores while you wait -- Venezuela up 3-1, Netherlands hitting in the top of the ninth, DeCaster singles with one out.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Keep your head in the game, Freddie.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Off Francisco Rodriguez, btw

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Hoo hoo! Justin to the Max!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Having your way with Mets pitching -- priceless

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, CE, I forgot that was on.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

that 3-1 is a final for Venezuela

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Sure, NOW they cheer!

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Dang, it looks like the Netherlands couldn't come back.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

They're always good for a sarcastic cheer, CE.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, the boys of honkbal would have to raise their team BA 50 points just to get to the Mendoza line...

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Garrett Mock, you stop that right now. I am not joking with you, young man.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Garrett - what did I just tell you?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, hitting is not a honkbal strength.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

That's more like it, Garrett. One more out and we can go get ice cream for everybody.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

On cold days, does Garrett wear a mock-t?

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

wait a minute... a1 how come you're posting before I hear Charlie and Dave call the play??

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

hehe, CE. That or a mock turtleneck.

Attaboy, Garrett! Bang Zoom and all that.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, I don't know. Are you listening via computer or radio? I'm listening (sans tinfoil hat) to the radio.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow - I tuned in just in time. :)

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 14, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I noticed it too the other day when Barry had the final score and a quick blurb on the game posted before Charlie and Dave called the last out.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Sorry for breaking up the suspense, in that case.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm debating on whether to pay for the mlb.com audio package. Is it worth it??

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 14, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

It is worth it if you're way out of town and have inferior tin foil.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 14, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yea Nationals! Nice late game rally to pull another win out against the NYM; Bang-Zoom, another "curly-W" in the books.

Posted by: BinM | March 14, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The victory was ceraintly more fun than a defeat, but other than the homer by Maxwell, not much was accomplished by players with a future on the team.

Brad Eldred sure has impressed, though. It seems he will cost somebody a job in Syracuse. He has been in the majors in parts of 2 years. The way I figure it, he has one option left, yes?

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 14, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I'm on the laptop, and yes, every MLB game, live or later if you want to go back and listen to it after at some point in the season ("where was Nook Logan going???? What was he thinking?????!!"), including playoffs, is worth $15.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of "is it worth the money"--there seem to be plenty of good seats left for the home opener. I'm thinking section 236, myself.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Would someone please clear something up for me? Have we seen the last of honkball for a while? I couldn't figure from the ESPN site whether this round of the WBC is single elimination. Although I would like the Netherlands still to be in it, I would also like the WBC to wrap up efficiently.

This actually doesn't have that much to do with Adam Dunn, though. I enjoy the exposure he is getting as a member of the Nats, and he is playing well. I even am glad for the extra time it gives our scrubs to fight for a spot, and Mike Rizzo time to attempt to make a trade. However, I won't complain when the team is all together as they will be during the season.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 14, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1a1:

i punked out after allison, killebrew, lemon to minnesot. then texas broke my heart, so back now. quick study no, obbsessive compulsive yes. elijah banged john daly's wife? bravo, mandingo.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The home opener with Obama throwing the first pitch? Ooh, my kids would like that.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 14, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

halfstreet, round 2 is also double elimination.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 14, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Patty, mlb audio is DEFINITELY worth it.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut

"cevans,I think there's a major delay on mlb audio, if that's what you're listening to."

... there's even a 'major-er' delay for someone say ... like me for instance, who was 'sure' the game was on tonight at seven.

... oh well, a curly W fits all circumstances like a ball cap should! And a mash-bash ninth to boot. I like it, I tell you; I downright like it!

Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 14, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thanks, nova g-man. I wasn't around here for the original Senators, so it's cool to hear from people who were. It's easy to be OC about baseball (trust me, I know).

That's okay, natscan. I was thinking that the Netherlands WBC game was at 4.

BTW, Barry has a new post up. Probably the last for now. Alas.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 14, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse