Letterman, MASN, etc.

Finally, we're going to see the Nats on TV today as they take on the O's in Fort Lauderdale. Chico's getting a well-deserved break, so Amy Shipley is covering the game.

Amy doesn't have blog access but I'll try to get her to send me some updates. Of course, with the game on TV, maybe that's not necessary. How many of you have TVs at work? This is something we in the crumbling newspaper biz have always taken for granted but I'm guessing most offices aren't like newsrooms. So if TV isn't going to help a lot of you today, let me know and I'll get Amy psyched up. I'm very eager to see Cabrera today.

Adam Dunn was part of the Team USA lineup that read the Top Ten list on Letterman last night. Unable to find video this morning but the WBC website has the list.

Hey, thanks to natsfan1a1, here's the video.

If you want a break from college hoops, there is a lot of baseball on this weekend. Tomorrow, ESPN2 will have Japan vs. Korea at 5 a.m. and Netherlands-DR at noon. ESPN has the USA-Canada game at 2 on ESPN and Panama-Puerto Rico at 6.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 6, 2009; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading
Next: Chatter Up! Lineup! Exclamation Point!

Comments

I never read it until the next post is up, but can I register a huge hand of support to the Morning Reading? It's a fantastic new feature.

Posted by: Section506 | March 6, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Too bad MASN doesn't have an online live feed for day games. Then again considering the travel team we're sending down this might be a game to skip, even on box score live.

Posted by: estuartj | March 6, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

JCA, don't shed any tears over Reyes, we would have had to give up our second round pick to sign him. We can still get Joe Beimel, whom you have also touted and who was not offered arbitration.

I second 506's support for Morning Reading, a solid appropriation from the Capitals Insider blog.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 6, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Thinking of the B team we are busing down to O's land today, who do you have as your dark horse to make the team, both position player and a pitcher (we have to assume no trades or injuries at this point to make it fair, well except for Shawn Hill).

I have Terrell Young making the bullpen, I'm not sure that qualifies since he's a rule V and either has to make the 25 or go back to Cincy.

For position player I'm torn, I think Montz or Viento might beat out Nieves for the back-up catcher, but I also wonder if they might put Hernandez and Gonzalez is AAA to get full timie at-bats, start Belliard (with Harris as backup) and open a spot for Ian Desmond if he can swing the bat. I'm not sure that makes sense. They could really throw us a curveball and keep Leonard Davis or Roger Bernadina, but that would mean DFAing WMP and Kearns which is a major stretch IMO.

Posted by: estuartj | March 6, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

FYI. Those relying on XM radio. The game will be broadcasted today.

Posted by: dclifer | March 6, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

MASN. What a sorry excuse for a so-called regional sports network. Here we are in the middle of spring training and they have not one but two major league baseball teams in the region they are supposedly serving. So what was on their schedule during prime time last night? College basketball. Okay, it's basketball season, I'll give them that. So what games were they showing? Louisiana Tech at Idaho. What region are they serving again? Oh wait, they had Georgetown vs St John's, too. I guess they figured that one was their regional content for the evening, huh? But it was a game from 19-ficking-87! What's up with that?

And they wonder why only 9000 people manage to figure out that they air Nats games during the regular season.

I blame Angelos.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 6, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Reyes was a type B FA so it wouldn't have cost us a pick, just money.

Posted by: estuartj | March 6, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Ladson has some actual news in his mailbag:

1. The Nationals gave Orlando Hudson a physical before he signed with the Dodgers, and he didn't pass it.

2. Jack McGeary is still at Stanford but is expected to report to ST on Monday; his rumored decision to commit to baseball full time still isn't official.

3. Chad Cordero vowed not to return to DC if Bowden was still the GM, but now that Jimbo is gone, he would consider returning.

How 'bout a minor league deal for the Chief?

Posted by: BobLHead | March 6, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Out of towners can listen via the Orioles broadcast team on either XM or mlb.com if they have the audio package.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 6, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

ESJ, on Reyes, I misread this from MLBTR:

"Since Reyes was a Type B free agent offered arbitration, the Twins will receive a supplemental draft pick for their loss (#46 overall)."

I was thinking that the pick came from the signing team, but instead it's just a supplemental pick, not our #50 (first in second round).

But I would take Beimel over Reyes anyway. Let's sign him and the Chief!

Posted by: BobLHead | March 6, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

updates! no tv. must. have. updates!!

Posted by: NatsNut | March 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Tracee. I'll second the appreciation for the morning reading feature (and you're welcome re. the Letterman link).

I remember The Talented Ms. Shipley from previous Nats stints.

I'm looking forward to watching live Nats action (even B squad) today, and WBC this weekend. I caught the tail end of a game on ESPN Deportes the other day. Couldn't understand what they were saying but what was happening between the lines is part of a universal language.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 6, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Also, I believe that today's game is scheduled for MLB Network as well, so that those who are out of the MASN viewing area may be able to pick it up that way (assuming that it's part of their cable package).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 6, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Top Ten List with Adam Dunn

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | March 6, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"I think Montz or Viento might beat out Nieves for the back-up catcher"
_________________________________________________________

ESJ,

I would not rule out Javier Valentin making the squad that quickly. He is an average defensive catcher at best but, does provide a LH bat and is a solid PH off the bench. He is probably a long shot but, should be in the discussion, at least.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 6, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

for more on Strasburg's performance yesterday, Federal Baseball has a great write-up from a San Diego state student who is doing a review of each of Strasburg's games for them.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | March 6, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

nunof1, I didn't turn on MASN last night, and I'm no MASN apologist (I think it's terrible--especially the fuzzy picture), but they carry Big East basketball during the big east season. This is great for fans of Gtown, WVU, etc. And you can hardly say it isn't regional, being the big east and all. I will never defend MASN again, but I love their big east coverage.

Posted by: WrongDog | March 6, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I have a TV at work, but it's connected to rabbit ears. They don't pay us to watch CableTV you know!

As for the Chief. I'd love to see the CHief back with the Nats. That was one of Bowden's bigger blunders as GM. Not that he non-tendered the CHief, but tthat he was goaded into it by the half-a55ed sports reporters. It was Jim's need for attention and to make a splash that caused him to non-tender the Chief in July (5 months) early, without having really discussed it with the Chief or his agent. It was assinine and completely unnecessry.

Posted by: comish4lif | March 6, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff today. My two cents.

1. LOVE morning reading, great feature.

2. No TV, please give copious updates.

3. Hoping on MASN-bashing band-wagon. If you sit down to try to watch a Nats game, you have four different channels to choose from to find the game. And that is after they seem to have quit showing any games on Ch 20. Adding the games simulcast on Ch 50 is great for those that don't have the expanded cable package.

Why can't Anelgos have MASN be Orioles and Nats MASN2? It would benefit both teams. Would love to see some coverage of this.

Posted by: Avar | March 6, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"I will never defend MASN again, but I love their big east coverage."

I don't begrudge MASN airing Big East games. Provided that they don't air games that were played in centuries other than the current one during prime time when they could instead be airing some coverage of one or both of the two baseball teams that happen to own the network, like they did last night. That's unexceptable.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 6, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The Federal Baseball piece on Strasburg had a comment about a Rangers scout doing due dilligence visit to see Strasburg and told the blogger that Washington had informed all the major league teams they will be selecting Strasburg with the #1 pick.

Sounds fishy to me, especially from a unknown blogger paraphrasing (not quoting) an un-named source.

Posted by: estuartj | March 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

unexceptable is back!

Posted by: longterm | March 6, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Section505203, I meant Valentin not Viento. My mixed up my V-guys.

How has Velentin done so far this spring, I've made the case for a quality 2nd catcher a million times, but I really do feel this is the most underutilized spot on the roster. A decent lefty bat to split starts with Flores (not just start day games after a night game) and also with Willingham available as an emergency catcher you can use Flores or Valentin as pinch hitters on their non-starting days.

Posted by: estuartj | March 6, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

BobLHead, don't get me started on Bill (IDIOT!) Ladsen. He thrown stuff around like that all the time, in mailbags and stories with no quotes or sources.

I honestly don't think he's capable of differentiating between his opinion and reportable facts, so I have 0% faith that Hudson did a physical and almost as little faith that Cordero ever told anyone he wouldn't sign with the Nats while Bowden is the GM. It might be true he felt that way, but I don't think he said it to anyone, and certainly not to Ladsen. IMO he's reporting his opinion as a fact.

I think now that Bowden is gone our new "Hit List" should start with Ladsen (and be quickly followed by Clint, Screech and whoever is responsible for the Presidents Race).

Posted by: estuartj | March 6, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

New post with the Harrisburg Senator's 2009 line-up for today's Balmer game.

Posted by: estuartj | March 6, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

ESJ,

I'm not quite sure how Valentin has done but, I believe he was 1 for 1 with a HR the other day but, don't quote me on that.

I like Nieves but, I like the option Valentin gives of a little pop from the Left side.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If I write unexceptable in a document at work I'm blaming all of you.

Posted by: utec | March 6, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Bob L Head - Reyes was a Type B, not a type A, so no pick lost. No threat to the 2d. We are likely either #50 or #51 per Brian, depending on whether Grudzie signs.

Now sign Ohmann. More expensive, likely, but needed for the 8th inning so Manny can move Saul back to the 7th.

A quality rotation might be able to cover for a mediocre bullpen for a while, and a strong bullpen can cover for a marginal rotation (see 2007 Nats) most of the season, but a questionable rotation and a bunch of prayers in the bullpen is asking for punishment.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 6, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

TV at work? Maybe after I've died and gone to office heaven.

Posted by: frog7694 | March 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse