Lineups -- With WMP; and a 'Frowny' Update

Wily Mo Pena will return to the lineup tonight against the Astros after dealing with his shoulder problem. Manny Acta said the strapping outfielder isn't good enough to playin the field yet, but he'll DH for a few days.

Also here: Stanley King, agent for both Cristian Guzman and one Carlos Daniel Alvarez Lugo. King said, because of visa issues in the Dominican Republic, he doesn't expect Alvarez (the erstwhile Esmailyn Gonzalez) to report for duty when the rest of the minor leaguers are due in camp on Friday.

King was asked if he expected the visa to come through.

"I hope so," King said. "He's applied for it. Obviously, he's got a new passport. It's just a matter of him getting a visa. Once the team has applied for it, it shouldn't be a problem. They're the employer."

Here is one question I forgot to ask the young man when I was in the Dominican Republic: What name will he be known by as a baseball player?

"I think he is going to be Carlos Alvarez from now forward," King said. "I think his days of being someone other than who he is are over."

The lineups for a 7:05 p.m. start:

Matt Kata -- 4
Humberto Quintero -- 2
Yordany Ramirez -- 7
Tommy Manzella -- 6

Felipe Paulino -- 1

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 9, 2009; 4:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Reading (And Viewing)
Next: All Offense

Comments

Balester - p

Posted by: AnonymousSources | March 9, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Saw that too...

I guess the team wants Lannan to complete his 60 in actual gameplay, as opposed to the 12 bullpen tosses he threw post-game yesterday.

Posted by: HotNats | March 9, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

So I guess there's no hesitation on the Nats' part about keeping Frowney? Meaning, it's ONLY a visa problem, right?

Posted by: NatsNut | March 9, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Barry's back....at least we don't have 2 CFers.....

Posted by: JayBeee | March 9, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

How does this work Barry....Your employee defrauds you of $1.5 Million and now he just walks back into your office and sits down...sounds like a George Costanzia move to me. I would think you cut him to make the point to those who come behind him. Fraud is illegal in this country and your expectations for honestly are high. They did not sign Crow over a much lesser issue…..how can they let him where the uniform?

Posted by: JayBeee | March 9, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, they DID pay the guy 1.4 mil. I'm betting they want to get SOMEthing out of him.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 9, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Right, NatsNut.

Only they may not have exactly paid HIM $1.4 million, if you know what I mean.

But it's like Kasten said - this scheme wasn't hatched by some kid. Alvarez may have been a willing participant, sure, but he didn't dream the thing up.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 9, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Cutting him does not get the money back, of course. The question I think for some is what sort of message this sends. I'd like the message to be we care more about winning and player development than makng examples of guys.

I prefer the pragmatic approach - OK, Mr. 23 year old, let's see what you can do against similar aged players. I would clear him out of the way for Espinosa, though, so if Espinosa is at Potomac, then Alvarez should be at Hagerstown, and if Espinosa starts at Hagerstown, then Alvarez should be at Potomac.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 9, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Seems like a good time to move Frowney to 2B where he will ultimately end up.

I'm for lemonade in this situation - see what we have with him, but cut him no slack.

What's the point in punishing the kid at this point? The problems in the DR are too systematic to make a difference by 'sending a message'. If the dude (can't really call him a kid anymore) can get a visa, we should give him a job.

Posted by: sec307 | March 9, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Dear Blogfather: In reviewing the MLB "press-pass" info sheet, I fail to see Bergmann listed amongst the scheduled pitchers list. He hasn't had an in-game appearance since the 4th; Is there something amiss with him?

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, took me all of a few hours to make my first error. Balester is, indeed, pitching.

Bergmann: I talked to him today, and he said he's basically throwing side sessions. Just a timing/scheduling thing, he said, and that they want to see others in the games. I'll ask Randy St. Claire about it.

Posted by: BarrySvrluga | March 9, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

good point, BinM. I'm hoping he's enough of a lock that they're setting him aside to check out the others. fingers crossed.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 9, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"The Weapon -- DH"

:) that's funny

Posted by: inthestreetindustry | March 9, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"Alvarez (the erstwhile Esmailyn Gonzalez)..."
If he had been Esmailyn Gonzalez in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 9, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

>...sounds like a George Costanzia move to me.

They need a 2nd baseman. If he was a LF it might be a different story. There's no character clause, except for possessing guns, riding motorcycles and getting locked up. They'd find him complicit, but he'd be way down the list as far as motive. Shut up, I want to see him play.

Posted by: Brue | March 9, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

WMP "isn't good enough to play in the field yet" - did Manny smirk when he said that?

Posted by: lowcountry | March 9, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

"Fraud is illegal in this country . . ."

Good one, JayBeee, lol.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

interesting point lowcountry.....I would net keep those fraudsters ware the uniform either.....

Posted by: JayBeee | March 9, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

@Brue:

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

"Manny Acta said the strapping outfielder isn't good enough to play in the field yet..."

The jokes just write themselves, don't they?

Posted by: fischy | March 9, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

>Me too - I hope he gets assigned to Potomac; that way some of can see the man-child & draw our own conclusions.

Exactly. How else are you ever gonna know? Miguel Tejada didn't age 3 years until he was 31. This organization can't afford to kick talent to the curb. I still don't see how hitting .350 in the GCL is a bad thing. The competition is professional. It's not like he's hitting off the local Jr. College.

Posted by: Brue | March 9, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

An open plea to the Nationals' orginization - Please get an honest-to-god radio contract, either this year or for 2010 at the absolute latest. Bonneville pushing the Nats' to WFED (am only) just isn't cutting it.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I second BinM on his plea.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 9, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for mlb.com's audio feed - hearing Charlie & Dave, it's all good.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Top o' the 1st: Balester leaves a 2-1 pitch up in the zone to Pence - result=home run; Patterson then makes a sliding catch in CF to end the inning. 1-0 Astros.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Kearns with the HR??

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 9, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Bottom half - BB, single, single to load the bases; NJohnson walks to bring one home. After a K (Willingham), Patterson grounds out for the 2nd run. Kearns then drives a ball to left for a three-run HR. WMP & Nieves both single - back to the top of the order; Hernandez pops out to end the inning - 5-1 Nationals, end of one.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Patty - Santa Kearns is real.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Slugfest tonight.

I gotta admit, I'm rooting for Kearnsy to prove all the naysayers wrong this season and keep his spot in RF.

Posted by: JennX_ | March 9, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Jeepers - another homer off Balester.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 9, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

While I know it's 5-3 (and Balester is sure giving up lots of home runs this spring) heading into the bottom of the second inning, it makes me just a little nervous that the live box score keeps showing 7 runs in the top of the second.

It's just unsettling, I suppose, because it's not inconceivable.

Posted by: faNATic | March 9, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

balester seems to be having trouble keeping the ball down when he gets behind on the count - Quintero pounds a shot to left with one on - Nationals 5, Astros 3, entering the bottom of the 2nd.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Guz - leadoff triple in the bottom of the second!

Posted by: faNATic | March 9, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you faNATic! Yikes!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 9, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman drives him in with a "blistering liner" to left.

Posted by: faNATic | March 9, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Ah - they fixed it.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 9, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Is there any way to view tonights "live" game on my PC?
THANKS!

Posted by: simba94165 | March 9, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you in rooting for Kearns, Jenn-X.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 9, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

The "Live" boxscore on mlb.com:

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 9, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Triple by C. Guzman, RBI single by R. Zimmerman, BB to NJohnson, FO to center by Willingham, GIDP from Patterson - Nationals 6, Astros 3 at the end of two.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Barry has an update post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 9, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

@faNATic:
Yeah, that's four in only seven innings - A really good way to start the season in SYR, IMO.

Posted by: BinM | March 9, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

THANKS so much Patty!

Posted by: simba94165 | March 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Frowney could even get a visa issued amazes me. After spending two years working in the US as Esmailyn “Smiley” Gonzalez with a falsifed DR passport and associated work visa, he’s about to show up in the US again as Carlos Alvarez Daniel Lugo with a different DR passport and work visa!?!?!?!?! I guess if you play baseball you get treated differently than the other people who bring false papers to the border. Frowney should be careful. In recent years, the stunt he just pulled could have earned you a spot on the Guantanamo recreational league softball team.

When Smiley/Frowney shows up at the border, he should be arrested.

Posted by: sniz15 | March 9, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it, I actually agree with JayB. Cut frowney loose. His contract is invalid.

Posted by: natsguy | March 9, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Where is the law in this country toward immigrants? This guy Carlos Alverez knew what was going on. He was not an innocent bystander in all of this. The contract he signed with the team should be null and void. I have a few of his baseball cards and none of the information on it is correct. The baseball commission should say "Sorry son, you are NOT Esmailyn Gonzalez and that was who we signed a contract with" The Feebes should send him back home with nothing and he should be sued for everything he has gotten since he has been in the states.

Posted by: UoPHopeful | March 9, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse