Milledge Leaves Game With Injury

[UPDATE, 10:24 p.m.] -- Milledge has a left knee contusion; he collided knee-to-knee with Florida's first baseman while chugging down the line. "Nothing serious," Manager Manny Acta said. He is day-to-day. Acta also said that Belliard's injury is not serious; the team expects him to miss several days.

---

With one out here in the ninth, the Nationals might have lost another player. Lastings Milledge, beating out an infield hit, seemed to take an awkward stride while running through the first base bag. He limped off the field, and was replaced by pinch runner Roger Bernadina.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 18, 2009; 10:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Vs. Fish And Other Updates
Next: Chatter Up!

Comments

How soon after Patterson was released did the injuries start coming?

I'm just sayin'. Baseball is a superstitious sport.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh man!!! First Bellie and now Lastings? I guess they just shouldn't play on tv. What, do they try to hard in front of the cameras and get themselves hurt?

Posted by: twinbrook | March 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

How soon after Patterson was released did the injuries start coming?

I'm just sayin'. Baseball is a superstitious sport.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2009 10:19 PM
------------------------------------------
The Curse of Shawn Hill. It will plague the Nats until they bring him back....

Posted by: fischy | March 18, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Starting CF Roger Bernadina.

Posted by: periculum | March 18, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

They have angered the baseball deities.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

:> phhhlllppp!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear both of those guys are okay. Whether the FO plans to keep them or trade them, we need them healthy.

Posted by: daltonwc53 | March 18, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Well, so much for the new training staff.

Posted by: comish4lif | March 18, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I guess that type of play is why they didn't want Dunn playing first in the WBC.

Posted by: joebleux | March 18, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing the training staff could have done to prevent either of those injuries. Sniping is one thing, but you should really think before you do it.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 18, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

We just need the training staff to get them fixed up.

Posted by: daltonwc53 | March 18, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the WBC, Dunn just made an error at first to put the leadoff batter on against Hanrahan. I don't think that's the last time we'll see that happen.

At least Joel responded by getting an infield popup and 2 K's to strand the runner. Nice work.

With the US trailing by 4 with 3 outs left, I think we'll see Mr. Dunn in camp by the end of the week...

Posted by: natinbeantown | March 18, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Dunn's line tonight:
0-3, 2K, 2BB, 1R; 2 errors at 1st

Half empty: Yikes, exactly the scouting report.
Half full: Even on a terrible night, he can find a way to contribute and get on base.

Posted by: natinbeantown | March 18, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Releasing Hill was a cheap, classless move that I believe will prove very foolish. It may take him to midseason to get back into form, but I do not believe Hill is done by any means. Nationals fans are not as outraged by this move as they should be, mainly because we were burned by Patterson one too many times. Hill is not Patterson just because the injuries were similar.

Posted by: kfisher32 | March 18, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Natsnut's comments throughout the day about Shawn Hill's release express my sentiments exactly. I've been reading NJ since the team arrived in DC but have never posted because I've never been this worked up & disheartened about a decision by Nats management - until now. The loyalty and dedication that Shawn showed to this organization deserved far more than the classless way this was handled by Mike Rizzo. The fact that he was released on the final day when the team could do it and still only have to pay 1/6 of his salary is hardly coincidental.

I'm also saddened that Manny, who was clearly not in agreement with the decision, didn't stand up more for his player with upper mgmt. Like natsnut, I was heartbroken all day when I heard the news. This team needs MORE players with his heart, emotion and desire to win -- which has been lacking since the departure of Jose Guillen.

Another team will likely sign Shawn (who is still only 27) and he will go on to have a successful career and make Rizzo & Kasten rue this decision for years to come. If any player ever deserved and earned the right to have 10+ years of pain-free success it's Shawn Hill. Let's only hope it's not the Mets or another NL East team so we don't have to face him too often.

Good luck, Shawn. No matter what the stats may say your contributions and work ethic did not go unnoticed by everyone -- and some lucky team will reap the benefits and show what a foolish decision Rizzo made.

Posted by: uscnatsfan | March 19, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

On my way home....Great trip. much better than a few years back. Nats are making real progress with the Minor League Camp and improved Instruction. I was impressed......

On Lastings last night.........routs to balls looked bad again. Picking up the Ball seemed a problem twice.....arm is still really poor. Bat speed, best on the team. Base running....you tell me what you saw....Yes both he and the Grissom were clueless....but the way I learned the game, if you are off the base, you do not need a coach to instruct you on how hard to run to get back on a caught ball. You run hard get back and then get ready to tag or advance on a bad throw or dropped relay....I do not think you that is what you saw from Lastings is it?

Sure he has talent...that has never been the issue....He is 24 years old soon. I do not think he will ever reach this potential because of his lack of interest in playing the game the right way. That is why I would trade him now before we are saying the same things about a 26 year old and then 28 year old. Get the equal value in pitching now and reap the benefit for years to come.

But hey what did you see?

Posted by: JayBeee | March 19, 2009 6:22 AM | Report abuse

If you are going to tell me that running into outs is not a consistent issue for Milledge please make sure you note the last two games he played, that I watched first hand.....twice he ran into outs. Last year he did it a lot too.....do you see progress or just more of the same from a "young" guy "learning the game".....if so when is it time to hold him accountable for what he was taught.

I know feel very confident based on 4 days of watching camp. Coaching staff is teaching the fundamentals now......is Lastings listening?

Posted by: JayBeee | March 19, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

beantown, Team USA had already clinched a spot in the semi-finals. They'll play the winner of tonight's Pool 1 seeding game on Sunday.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 19, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I just finished ready Mike Rizzo's comments on the thinking behind Hill's release. His comments ring hollow. It is more of the same BS that we have been accustomed from this organization, only it is from a different jerk. Tell the truth don't lie to us!!!!!!!

In any event I fully expect Hill to land with another team. It could be the Mets, Jays or Yankees. This "a--hole" move will go down with the likes of trading Brandon Philips, Grady Sizemore and Lee. As usual we get nothing in return. Rizzo gives a starting job to Cabrera who can't find the plate and gives up on Hill who looked like he was coming around. Just watch this idiot cut Bergman. He is another guy who can pitch but is on the outs with the FO. He is going to trade one of our outfielders for a washed up starting pitcher.

We are going to regret giving up on Hill. Watch his success this year.

Posted by: mjames0 | March 19, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I've been as critical of the Nats' ownership as anyone, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on the Hill release.

It's sad, but this is a tough business. His track record was terrible, and I think there was good reason to have low confidence that he would be healthy this year or ever. Sure there's a possibility they've made a mistake, just like the Mets gave up on Nolan Ryan too soon (though it didn't seem like it at the time).

But they're showing a determination to move forward, to not be tied to decisions of the past, and to try to build a winning team. They've acquired Dunn, made a much-needed move to strengthen the bullpen, and are clearly trying to make more deals to convert their glut of outfielders into better pitching. I wish Hill well, and I'm sure this was devastating for him, but I think it was the right move.

As for Milledge, this may be a defining year for him. Whether he spends it with the Nationals or elsewhere remains to be seen. I really want him to succeed, but as we discussed the other day, his insistence on doing it "my way," whether it's in the clubhouse or on the basepaths may get in the way. I truly hope not.

Posted by: Meridian1 | March 19, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Meridian1 on this one. Hill was a great trooper, and I was really pulling for him, but I just didn't seem him contributing to this team. For all his skills and determination, he only has 7 major league wins. I hope he stays healthy and catches on with another team, but I don't fault the Nats for making room for pitchers that have upside or can contribute now.

Posted by: BrantAlyea | March 19, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Hill didn't make that many starts, but as far as the win totals, the Nats' bats (or lack thereof) could have been a factor for at least some of them.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 19, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

1a, I think you dropped this:

New posts.

Posted by: Scooter_ | March 19, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

E1a. Well played, Scooter.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 19, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse