Nats Intend To Add Dmitri Young To 40-Man Roster

The Nationals intend to add Dmitri Young to the 40-man roster before Opening Day because of a handshake agreement that was made this winter between Young and then-General Manager Jim Bowden. Though Bowden resigned almost four weeks ago and Young, because of back problems, has not participated in an exhibition game since March 1, the Nationals will honor the deal, two sources said.

The Nationals in November initially dropped the first baseman from their 40-man roster, outrighting him to Class AAA Syracuse and clearing space for the Rule 5 Draft. Sources say that Bowden promised Young that the move would be temporary. Bowden's motivation for doing this remains unclear.

Young, due to make $5 million this year, remains several steps from regaining the form that helped him hit .320 and win the National League comeback-player-of-the-year award in 2007, his first season with the Nationals. In 2008, Young missed the second half of his season while battling complications from diabetes. Although Young is slimmer this spring -- the team says his diabetes is not currently a concern -- he has missed almost a month because of lingering back problems. Only recently has Young resumed playing in Washington's minor league games; he received several at bats today, and stroked two singles.

If Young, 35, is placed on the 40-man roster, he does not need to be on the active major league club. The 40-man roster serves as the pool of players eligible for the 25-man team, though, and if Young is added, the Nationals will need to drop somebody else.

The handshake agreement stands as the final evidence of the bond between Young and Bowden, whose careers first overlapped with the Cincinnati Reds, where Young played from 1998 until 2001. All but finished with baseball after 2006, dealing with a divorce, legal problems and substance abuse issues, Young revived his career when Bowden gave him a non-guaranteed offer. Halfway through his all-star season in 2007, Young was rewarded by Bowden with a two-year, $10 million deal.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 26, 2009; 4:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zimmermann: Dominance On Field No. 3
Next: Morning Reading

Comments

Yes, as some asked and answered in the earlier thread, minor league balls have higher and supposedly harder seams than major league balls. "Some guys, after they get used to pitching with major league balls, go down to the minor league balls and get blisters," Joel Hanrahan said. (Sorry, should have included that info in earlier post.)

Posted by: Chico Harlan | March 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

ACK! The guys not even here anymore and we still can't get rid of him.

Begone, JimBow, away with you!

Posted by: Section138 | March 26, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

DFA him the next day.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | March 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

So now da Meat Hook could cost us a player in addition to the 5 mil wasted in salary?

Great. Thanks JimBo.

Posted by: sec307 | March 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Anderson Hernandez's hammy? He was supposed to be re-evaluated today.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

He had a handshake agreement with Jim Bowden, not the Lerners, Stan Kasten, or Mike Rizzo.

Jim Bowden resigned.

End of story.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | March 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Fine, let them drop WMP from the 40-man roster to make room for Dmitri. They take up about the same amount of room anyway, same volume and weight, just arranged differently.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for honoring it if Jimbo was still here but, he's gone therefore, the handshake agreement went with him.

No 40 man for you.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Good for the Nats for sticking to their word when they presumably didn't have to. Don't see that much in sports these days.

Posted by: joebleux | March 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Obviously I don't like this from the perspective of having to clear a spot but I like the fact that team is standing by the agreement.

Posted by: Bazz | March 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the roster, we could potentially be adding 5 non-roster guys, meaning that many guys will have to go thru waivers.

The guys that could be added:

ZNN
Tavarez
Ledezma
Dmitri
Bard

If we go with Bard, Nieves will be the guy off the 40-man.

Other candidates to be taken off the 40-man:

Casto (out of options anyway)
T. Young (give him back or make a trade to send him to the minors)
Chico
O'Connor
Estrada
WMP (I agree Da Meat Hook could take his spot)
Desmond

Of those, I think Casto, TYoung, and WMP are the top candidates, followed by Chico and the pitchers.

Posted by: sec307 | March 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Just when I thought the Nats had run out of stupid ideas...

Posted by: Rocket1124 | March 26, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

This may be off topic but it's been eating at me, why aren't the Nats players allowed to wear the new style batting helmets? Dunn wore one in the WBC, but went back to the old style in the game last night. LoDuca switched to the new style when he went to Marlins last year.

Does anyone know why this is?

Posted by: BillyBeane | March 26, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Yay, Dmitri! For no reason other than I irrationally adore him.

Posted by: Section506 | March 26, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

JimBow's reign of error is harder to get rid of than roaches. Da Meat Loaf and the Wasteland of Minimal Production should have both been long gone by now. The evil that men do lives on...

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 26, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I think they're ugly, and the team probably does too. It's not that the players aren't allowed to wear them, the Nationals just don't request them from MLB. Or however it works.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | March 26, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Does every team besides the Nats wear the new-style helmets? I'm not sure, but I think there are several other teams that still wear the old style. Red Sox? Yankees? I think it's a part of the uniform, i.e. they all either wear the new style or they all wear the old style. On any given team, they don't mix-n-match.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

The simpler thing to do is to release him. He still gets the $5m, and gets to go to someplace where he might play. That keeps with the spirit of what JimBo promised - that they will not keep him in the minors but off the roster. Freedoms just another word for nothin left to lose

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Simplest answer. DFA Pena. Add Young to the 40-man. Immediately place him on the 15 and then 60-day DL and add whatever reliever they need.

Posted by: Brian_ | March 26, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

nunof1.......I think you have been one of the loudest voices of saying Young would never be on the team....That he is off the 40 Man roster....Never to come back.....and anyone one (like me) who talked about the waste of D. Young on this or any team for $5 Million is, to be a fool. Well.....what do you say now and want to bet Rizzo trades Milledge before the all star break?

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Brian,

Simplier answer......tell D Young, Jimbo does not work here any longer and he is going to earn his second $5 Million the minor league bus.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

What's the new style helmet? I noticed in the semifinal game with Japan that their players had helmets that looked to be made of a different material (matte rather than shiny). Is that it?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess that I can keep the Dmitri bobblehead up on the file cabinet at the corner of my cubicle at work. He stands with 3 of the Racing Presidents. I wish Dmitri would just get on with getting better, and would contribute to the team. I admit that I don't much chance of that, and that I hold Bowden in greater scorn for having done this to us.

If the spectre of Bowden is still haunting us, I guess I will have to pray for Anderson Hernandez's buttock, and hope that is close enough to his hamstring to have an effect.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 26, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Ladson is at it again. From his mailbox:

**********************
Is Willy Mo Pena still in the running to get on the 25-man roster?
-- David, W., Arlington, Va.

Yes, he is. He could be that extra position player that manager Manny Acta plans to carry north with him. He will compete with Dmitri Young and Kory Casto for that spot.
**********************

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Thanks Ladson, I needed a good laugh today!

Posted by: erocks33 | March 26, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, there are much more unpleasant legacies than Our Yule Log to have been left us.

Posted by: Section506 | March 26, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

As for Hernandez? So far, the team has no official update on his condition. If I get one, I'll let you know. I've heard from some that AH's condition is much improved today, and it looked like he was walking around fairly easily. So that's an encouraging step. But for now, the team still doesn't know how much time he'll miss.

Posted by: chicoharlan | March 26, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Really, this is exactly why Jimbo was such a high risk GM......How could you commit to D Young after his 2008 season that you would put him on any roster no matter how he performed. Jimbo would say anything at the time and then either follow through with the lunacy like Lo Duca at 1st or Estrada Catching in July of 2008 or lie and not follow through with the commitment. Either case Nats lose.......... I would say the sooner D Young, WMP, joint Lenny Harris, Barry Larkin, Rijo and the rest of the Jimbo legacy the better it is for the Nats.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@307:

I think you're close to the target with your roster calls, but M.Chico can (and probably will) be moved to the 60-day DL, effectively creating a 41st roster spot. Also, because Taverez hasn't faced "live" batters yet, they might keep him extended ST for a couple of weeeks & delay the need to add him for a while.

Possible DFA's from 40-man / replacements
P - Chico, M.(LH/60DL) / P - ZMM [no player lost]
P - O'Conner, M.(LH) / P - Ledezma, W.(LH)
P - Clippard, T. / CA - Bard, J.
P - Young, T. (RuleV)
IF/OF - Casto, K.(LH) / P - Taverez, J. (when ready)
DH - Pena, W.M. / 1B/DH - Young, D.(SH)
CA - Nieves, W.

(LH)= Left-handed (throws or bats); (SH)= Switch-hitter.

Posted by: BinM | March 26, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

On last night’s game.....I saw a whole new improved team confidence with Dunn in the game. They looked like a MLB team except for Milledge as lead off. That is just not going to work. He does not even know enough to pull the bat back on a bunt attempt on a ball at eye level. That was ball 3 as I recall.....he just does not think like a baseball player. Acta told him to bunt once and a while and instead of putting the idea in the defense's mind and working the count....He bunts the first pitch no matter where it is pitched like it is a suicide squeeze play. Milledge is not a baseball player....he is an athlete sure but that does not work out 9 out of 10 times.....Rizzo needs to get a true CF lead off man and get some value for Lastings while he still can.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@1a:

The new buckets are the "Cool-Flo" vented helmets that teams like the Mets, Rangers & Marlins have adopted for this year. FOr more information than you might want to know, check out Paul Lucas' blogs on ESPN.com "Page 2". http://search.espn.go.com/paul-lukas/

Posted by: BinM | March 26, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

The sun rising in the east. Setting in the west. JayBee continuing his monotonous online screeds about Milledge.

Some thing never change (unfortunately)

Posted by: ABHFGTY | March 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, BinM.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

... I guess I'm torn on this one. Keep Meat because he's a good guy to have around, he's done good work with Dukes, and because any human being should be willing to honour a handshake. Don't keep him because you're hamstrung by someone else's agreement, because he doesn't fit into the plan for the Nats of 2009, because to do so would remove a spot from a more deserving guy.

... tough call: I come down on the side of ... do not keep him.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this is worth wringing our hands over. So we put him on the 40-man. If he can play, great, I'd love to cheer for him as a pinch hitter coming off the bench. If not, he's on the DL for now and can be cut later.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 26, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Did you catch Mark Lerner last night during the game?

He was still talking up Jimbo as the prime force of building the team....he quickly said and now Rizzo but it tells me that all the Talk about Mark Lerner being the one who was protecting Jimbo from accountability was exactly

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

It's also worth noting that Chico has been answering questions raised in the comments today. I think Tracee put some more Svrluga in the water.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 26, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey....Tell me what you saw about Lastings at lead off last night that made you more confident that he understands baseball.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Like others, I'm somewhat conflicted about Meat Hook Gate. I don't believe that I'll try to pin down a position just now.

Good point re. the comments, BobL. Thanks for listening, Chico and Tracee.

Also, Uni Watch is awesome. I've visited it before but didn't make the connection before I followed the link. Thanks again, BinM. Loved the bit there about the missing cap button mystery. I watched the All Star Game last year but don't remember the new helmets. Heck, half the time I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Also, Mark Lerner is not 1a. That is all.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Hernandez update, Chico. He and Nick looked very impressive defensively last night.

------------------------

Posted by: chicoharlan | March 26, 2009 5:42 PM

Posted by: AshburnVA | March 26, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I have only one problem with the team honouring the handshake agreement with Dmitri; It exposes a physically-capable player to waivers to be replaced by someone who most likely can't contribute until mid-May, at the earliest.

Posted by: BinM | March 26, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Why all the angst? Keeping promises is a good decisions as a business and an organization. Promises made should be kept. They had plenty of time to back out of that promise, and then get a request to be released or something. They decided not to. So now they honor their promise, that's a good thing, IMHO.

Posted by: swang30 | March 26, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

@swang30:

The angst is over the fact that some player who probably came into camp in-shape & ready to play may lose his job to someone who can't do his job on a regular basis for another two months, all because of an agreement with a "supervisor" who's already been canned.

Posted by: BinM | March 26, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Keeping your word is only a sign of integrety when it is difficult. If JimBo, speaking for the club, as he was authorized to do, promised Da Meat a spot, the club should honor that committment. I don't think the move is wise but it is the right thing to do.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | March 26, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Chico:

Thanks for answering for the questions about AH. That's good news that he's walking better today. Hopefully it will be just a couple of weeks. Hammy's can be tricky though.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 26, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why JimBo made this commitment to DY, but if he did, it has to be honored. Let's hope for the best. When the guy's healthy, he can still hit. Having a switch-hitting PH on the bench would give Manny an important weapon. It's like carrying a 26th player in terms of late-inning roster flexibility. Given DY's health history though, I'm not holding my breath. I would also add that there is enough flotsam to jettison that I don't think it will cost them anyone important.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 26, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

"nunof1.......I think you have been one of the loudest voices of saying Young would never be on the team"

No, I said he wouldn't be on the 25-man roster when the team goes north. And he won't be, mark my word on that.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Honoring a handshake is what they have to do. their rep so far is as very demanding tough business people, which we bemoan periodically on NJ (trying not to pay for uniforms, rent withholding, cheep expense account oversight, etc etc) so they at least ought to try to be seen as honest. Agreed that it's another hurdle to the best roster in the short term.

Your karma follows you forever. Doing the right thing always works in the long run.

Geezer

Posted by: utec | March 26, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

And they're not going to trade Milledge.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"Did you catch Mark Lerner last night during the game?

He was still talking up Jimbo as the prime force of building the team"

He said "and Jim." Once. If two words equals "talking him up" then my God what words would be left to describe the amount of blathering you do about Milledge?

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Certainly seems likely that Terrell Young will be offered back to Cinncinatti to clear a roster spot. And there are several players on the Nats 40 man roster that don't need to be there. It seems unlikely that Kory Casto will make the 25 man and as a result will be exposed. O'Connor could be vulnerable. Chico could go on the 60 day DL. And, WMP is also at risk.

Posted by: natbisquit | March 26, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

As much as the team *should* honor Jim Bow's boneheaded promise, I think the fact that Young shows up in camp out of shape and still allegedly hitting the bottle pretty hard (a way earlier post mentioned some clerk in a liquor store marveling at Dmitri's purchase of multiple $700 bottles of wine) kind of voids out that agreement.

Here's somebody with a history of substance abuse still abusing a substance (in this case EtOH) which is likely a big reason for his inability to control his diabetes.

Posted by: DesertNat | March 26, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

DesertNat,

... harsh, but valid.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 26, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

DesertNat,

...rumor and innuendo, likely not valid.

Unless perchance you're Dmitri's doctor. And if you are, you shouldn't be posting here.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

nunof1....you said many many times that D Young was not on the 40 man roster and would not be on the 40 man roster and that he was not in the plans AT ALL...NEVER.....you were wrong then and you are wrong again....and they should trade Milledge.....not that they will.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, this isn't the first time a player who's been injured for the past few seasons is on the 40 man roster! Hmm a few other NATS players come to mind....

Posted by: CALSGR8 | March 26, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

"nunof1....you said many many times that D Young was not on the 40 man roster and would not be on the 40 man roster and that he was not in the plans AT ALL...NEVER.....you were wrong then and you are wrong again"

No, you are wrong. Again. As always. I said he was not on the 40-man because he wasn't. I never said he wouldn't be put on the 40-man. I said he wouldn't make the team going north. And he won't. He'll be playing on a team much further north, in Syracuse.

Thanks for talking me up, man. Too bad you can't do it accurately.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"nunof1......Tell me what you saw about Lastings at lead off last night that made you more confident that he understands baseball."

Doesn't matter whether I think he understands baseball, or whether you think he understands baseball. All I've said is that they're not going to trade him. Because they're not. They don't care whether you understand why or not.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

A propos of nothing, demille ondefloss, we haven't heard from you in a long time. Hope you will be here Thursday next.

Posted by: Traveler8 | March 26, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"DesertNat,

...rumor and innuendo, likely not valid."

~~~

@nunof1,

... OTOH, in general conversational banter, unlike in a magistrate's court, rumours and hearsay tend to lead to an opinion. DesertNat offered an opinion, and opinion is always valid.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo is not going to risk his chance at this job backing someone who hurts the team. Milledge in CF and leading off will hurt the team and thus Rizzo....Time will tell....but your wrong.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 26, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Milledge may be a test of whether Rizzo has what it takes as a manager.

I agree with the poster that Milledge's bunt attempt was bush league. Who has been coaching him on this? Is he un-coachable?

He also makes deep fly balls a real experience each time he chases after one. Not that Elijah looked all that great in right, either.

The surfeit of outfielders we've been hearing about all spring is probably only in the minds of the Nats and the Post's writers. Are there other teams really interested enough in Milledge, Wily Mo, and Elijah to trade quality pitchers? We'll see. Not a major leaguer among them, IMHO.

Posted by: JohnRDC | March 26, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I for one welcome--up to a point, as the British say--JayBee's comments on Milledge and other matters. Not that I always agree with him, but a part of me shares, for example, his reservations about Milledge's baseball smarts. Another part of me sees LM's athleticism and other positive signs and hopes for the best. E.g., his quotes the other day about high-percentage base stealing show a greater awareness of that part of the game. One good indicator: let's see how many times this year, if any, he gets thrown out trying to advance from second to third on a grounder to SS.
It does seem that LM's OF play is constantly under the microscope while others'--e.g. Dukes'--is not. I don't believe anyone here commented on Elijah's mishandling of that fly ball last night. Did he lose it in the lights? As Dibble said, his reactions on it were off from the git-go. And LM did make a nice running catch going back to the wall earlier in the game. He tended to be a bit wall shy last year; let's see if he has improved.

Does this mean that Dukes is terrible in RF and LM is a gold glove in CF? Of course not. Dukes seems to be developing into a solid RF while for me the jury is still out on LM. In this connection, watching the old World Series highlights on the MLB channel helps to put things in context: it's a good reminder to watch icons like Jim Landis misplaying fly balls in critical games (although I guess he always did hit the cutoff man).

Posted by: CapPeterson | March 26, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Of the three Kasto, Young, and Pena I would keep Young because he is a switch hitter and he can actually hit.

Kasto can't hit and WMP is a right handed hitter who isn't much better ...

Posted by: periculum | March 26, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not that surprised that DaMeat is going to be added to the 40-man and I wouldn't be shocked if he was on the 25-man roster too. (He shouldn't be but that doesn't mean the Nats won't do it.)

We're paying him $5 million and he's better than Casto, so how does it hurt the team to have him on the roster? (I cannot believe anyone would claim Kory if we try to option him down to AAA.)

Then you cross your fingers, hope DaMeat gets healthy, starts to hit a little bit, and you eat most of his salary and see if there's somebody (anybody) who might give you a fringe minor leaguer for him. Worst case scenario is you dump him fairly early in the season.

Of course, in a just world DaMeat would go to Syracuse or be released but I cannot fault the team for trying to get something from their investment.

Posted by: grforbes | March 26, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Why would the Nationals even bring this to light and admit they do business this way? It is an embarrassment.

Honor a handshake deal? From Jim Bowden?

That is like Wall Street honoring the deals of Bernie Madoff after the fact.

Posted by: DangerNat | March 26, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Give Young his $5 mil, and release him. I was in Viera following the Nationals for over two weeks and I only saw Young one time -- when the MASN cameras were there. He was in Carpenter and Dibble's face the minute they finished their opening on the field, he wouldn't even let them get into the dugout.

Someone explain why it was so easy to hand Dmitri Young $5 mil a year for two years of NOTHING and they can't sign Ryan Zimmerman to a long term deal.

Posted by: raymitten | March 26, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

PT Bowdoin, the gift that just keeps on giving!

DYOUNG is the epitomy of the "bailout plan", I need 10M, but I'll take 5M and go on vacation for a few years. Yikes!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | March 26, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm, because Dmitri was willing to sign it?

************

Posted by: raymitten | March 26, 2009 10:01 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 26, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

If you pay $tra$$burg $50 million and he blows out his elbow, you still have to pay him as a guaranteed contract.
Posted by: dmacman88 | March 25, 2009 3:55 PM

Ted, pay Strasburg. Did Crow start at $9 million and slide to $4.5 near the end? Offer Boras $25 million for 5 years early. Raise it to $32 million gradually later. You’re 84. Noone’s lifestyle will be affected within the Lerner family if Sloth bombs. But other MLB players will take the Nats seriously following his signing.

"I plan on doing everything I can do to make sure this franchise becomes an international jewel for Major League Baseball, the nation, D.C. and its wonderful fans," Ted Lerner said.

I know you do, Ted. Here’s the thing: our area will survive these hard times better than most; we will buy tickets at a higher rate then most this season, especially if excitement can be generated by our squad, potentially or actually.

An additional 200,000 tickets over 81 games, if there is excitement, before, during, and after the signing (and not the kind of excitement that LM generates)?
$10 million in additional revenue this year? And thanks for offering the 20 million a year for Tex, too.

Lannan, Sloth and Cheese head the rotation next year? Martis the second righthander? You got rid of Bum Bowden. Next to go is Baby Bum Olsen, overthrowing his 86 mph ‘fastball’ and ruining club chemistry. Big flies looking for you, Bobo! Try for the league lead.

Manny is in bed with Thrilledge (sigh), despite a woeful Tango wOBA of .325 last year (115th of 147 listed): working the count, waiting for your pitch? Naaah! Milledge on Milledge: "I'm going to be an aggressive leadoff hitter … .” ‘He guessed that he won't draw too many walks,’ “because now, they have to come after me ...” Rizzo on Milledge: "I think he's really making an attempt to look at much more pitches and be selective at the plate." Gotta get on base, LM, to practice the exciting art of baserunning.

Jump at the first pitch much, Lenny Harris-style?

Sloth is a character, makeup guy. Get him.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 26, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Adam Dunn has five Opening Day big flies: (2005 -- two vs. Mets: Pedro Martinez, Braden Looper, 2006 -- one vs. Cubs: Carlos Zambrano, and 2007 -- two vs. Cubs: both off Carlos Zambrano).
"I love Opening Day," Dunn said. "I wish everyday could be Opening Day."

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 26, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Small sample, yes. Milledge, leading off, 4 Grapefruit games:

1 for 16, 6K, 0 BB, 1 spazzy bunt attempt, 0 runs

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 26, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I mean 1 run.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 26, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Emilio Bonifacio enhanced his chance of making the Florida Marlins roster with a big day at the plate.

Bonifacio had a bases-clearing triple and drove in five runs, leading the Marlins to an 11-6 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday.

Bonifacio hit his third triple of the spring off Hayden Penn during a five-run second, then singled in two runs off Baltimore closer George Sherrill in a four-run third. Bonifacio's 12 RBIs lead the Marlins.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 26, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Can we send Olsen back?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 26, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Ichiro, following his WBC championship-winning hit: “I really wish I could be in a state of Zen,” Suzuki said. “I kept thinking of all the things I shouldn’t think about. Usually, I cannot hit when I think of all those things. This time, I got a hit. Maybe I surpassed myself.”

Lastings Milledge, following each of his 237 egregious mistakes this season? “I messed up some times, and I told you about it. I’ll tell you. I’ll say, I was horse [manure] today.” "Nothing surprises me by what he does," Acta said … . "He is very talented. I think the people in D.C. and the Major Leagues are going to enjoy this guy for a long time." Milledge is 23 years old and already a candidate for the Hank Aaron award. The winners will be announced prior to Game 4 of the World Series on Sunday, Oct. 26. Last year's winners were Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez and Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder.

Chris Needham: “If he needs to throw to second, he throws to third. If he needs to take the extra base, he stops. If he needs to backup Dukes in the OF, he's napping on the grass. He was thrown out at least three (maybe more) times 6-5.”

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 26, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Starting at $25mil is nutz. being willing to sign him at $32 is nuttier. What are you? A squirrel? You should never sign a draftee to that price level. I don't care if he's touted as the second coming of Mark Prior. Not worth it. I know it's easy spending other people's money, but come on, at least pretend to be realistic.

Posted by: swang30 | March 27, 2009 3:20 AM | Report abuse

That would be $32 mil, that is...

Posted by: swang30 | March 27, 2009 3:21 AM | Report abuse

>Emilio Bonifacio enhanced his chances of making Florida's roster with a big day at the plate: a bases-clearing triple and five RBIs.<

Ah yes, Emilio Bonifacio. Been there done that. Bait and switch. Remember how he and Gonzales ran the Reds ragged last year in that series right after the trade deadline? Then next thing you know he's striking out more than Ryan Howard. Speed is a wonderful thing, Emilio - but you gotta get on first.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em, I always say. But Marlins, you might have wanted to wait until after ST to light up your Emilio Bonifacio cigar. Nice initial hit, yeah, but you'll be getting nasty whiffs from it all season long.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 27, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday I went after lunch and was hanging out by the senior lounge, i guess you know Journal that I was hoping to see JORDAN. so i'm just there waiting to maybe catch a glimpse of him and KaytLynne texts me like OMG dont' you know hes doing his volunteer service today hes working with the kids at the elemantary school down the street.

I love that he's so good with kids but i really wanted to see him because i had on this new top and it sets off my eyes so great and I just know JORDAN would have finally noticed me if he'd seen me in it. But he has to volunteer because that stuff look's good on your colledge resume and he's so smart i just know he'll go to a great college. i just wish it hadn't of been today, the kids can wait you know? Oh well i guess I'll try again in a few days and maybe this time i wont' just look like a total dork waiting for someone who is'nt there ...

sigh

Posted by: Scooter_ | March 27, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey Chico. It's Friday. You probably have direct deposit, but just in case you don't,
remember it's payday. Pick up your paycheck!

Posted by: spamcastin | March 27, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Scooter,

... you're priceless!! Keep it up .. for a long time!

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 27, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

From Brian, NFA:

"If he spent the full 2010-13 seasons in the minor leagues, the Nationals would be on the hook for $1.6 million in minor league salary and $27 million in major league salary. Adding that to the the signing bonus and you have a $35.6 million outlay."

***************************************

Posted by: swang30 | March 27, 2009 3:20 AM

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 27, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the laugh, Scooter.

In other news, who are these guys?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 27, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Found this on the Astros site:

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Aaron Boone underwent open heart surgery on Thursday at the Stanford University Medical Center, and early indications are that the procedure was successful.

"I spoke to Aaron's father, Bob, and he indicated that things went well," general manager Ed Wade said in a statement released by the Astros. "Certainly, our prayers are with Aaron and the entire Boone family in hopes of a full recovery."

Dr. D. Craig Miller was scheduled to perform the surgery, which was to include the replacement of an aortic valve. In medical terms, the procedure that Boone was scheduled to undergo is called bicuspid aortic valve aneurysm surgery, which included an aortic valve replacement.

The 36-year-old Boone revealed last week that he has had the heart condition since he was in college and categorized the surgery as "not an emergency situation."

Boone said he would like to play baseball again, but he was not sure he would. It is highly unlikely he will play again this year. Boone described the recovery time for the surgery to be "several months."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 27, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

nova-g-man: that was Brian's hypo to explain how a $50m contract might be put together. Not Brian saying it was reasonable.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 27, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

To: Mark Lerner
From: Meridian 1

Dear Mark --

Just wanted to remind me that Jimbo promised me free season tickets for life, and we shook on it.

I know you are a stand-up guy and will honor this deal and still hold him in the highest regard.

I look forward to seeing you at Nationals Park.

Yours truly,

Meridian 1

PS -- He threw in free beer, too.

Posted by: Meridian1 | March 27, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Bet Shawn Hill wishes he'd shaken Bowden's hand instead of Dr. James Andrews.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 27, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I have been very critical of D.Young concerning his conditioning and his health but I watched a great documentary on the Young brothers on MLB last night actually i was flipping back and forth between the tournament and mlb, Dmitri comes from a strong family background his mom is very spiritual and his dad is a retired navy man very disciplined and he was very influential in Delmon's and Dmitri's career the piece was about two hours or so but very compelling and informative.I must admit I had one opinion of Young but after watching the documentary on Dmitri and his brother i must say i am rooting for Dmitri to have a great year in a National's uniform.

Posted by: dargregmag | March 27, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

That was a great program, dargregmag.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 27, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

"If Young, 35, is placed on the 40-man roster, he does not need to be on the active major league club."

In practical terms, that's not true (unless he's injured). If he's on the 40 man and not on the 25 man, he'd need to be optioned or DL'd. In order to be optioned, as a vet with over 5 yrs svc time, he'd need to agree to it. If they can get him to agree to be optioned, they could probably get him to agree to stay off the 40 man altogether.

"Bowden's motivation for doing this remains unclear."

This is not uncommon. You can always make room on the 40 man in spring training by using the 60 day dl.

Posted by: MikeP1 | March 27, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse