Nationals Sign RHP Kip Wells

Straight from the press release...

The Washington Nationals today agreed to terms on a non-guaranteed minor-league contract with right-handed pitcher Kip Wells. Nationals Vice President of Baseball Operations and Assistant General Manager Mike Rizzo made this announcement.

The 31-year-old Wells is 65-94 with a 4.67 ERA in 256 games (205 starts) spanning 10 big league seasons with Chicago-AL (1999-2001), Pittsburgh (2002-06), Texas (2006), St. Louis (2007), Colorado (2008) and Kansas City (2008). Wells won a career-high 12 games with Pittsburgh in 2002. He pitched in 25 games last season with Colorado and Kansas City.

By Dave Sheinin  |  March 11, 2009; 5:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who Is Brad Eldred?
Next: A Bit More On Wells

Comments

Nice-

First pure post-Bowden signing. I see he never played for Cinci.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 11, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Syracuse starter or major league reliever?

Posted by: AnonymousSources | March 11, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Syracuse starter or major league reliever?

Posted by: AnonymousSources | March 11, 2009 5:35 PM

************

Posted by: NatsNut | March 11, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Did Wells come back fully from the surgery for the blood clot in his arm?

Also, carrying forward from the last post:

I believe that de Caster is with the Tigers now, PHS (minor leagues).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 11, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Unless WSH is looking at him as a possible LR candidate, this signing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Posted by: BinM | March 11, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

He's garbage. Should be nothing but AAA fodder. We should never see him on the big club. Not the kind of move I was hoping to see from Rizzo. But I guess we're desparate for potential relievers.

Posted by: SSB1 | March 11, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Low cost/risk signing. Nothing to loose here.

Posted by: ecmdfan | March 11, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Quality signing - no risk and a possible real MLB arm as a reward.

Posted by: mjwies11 | March 11, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, on second thought, maybe brought into camp as SP-fodder to take the spring rotation back up to ten if Hill comes back? Given an off day, Manny may shuffle the alignment a little.

Posted by: BinM | March 11, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Well now that the bullpen problem is fixed we can move on to finding a new mascot, right?

Posted by: estuartj | March 11, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

he's 21-51 since 2005? he led the NL in losses with 18? Also lost 17? is that what we have in common with Kip? I'm missing why we signed him. Please help me to understand.

Posted by: nova_g_man | March 11, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Next five days SP's (guess): Cabrera/Towers, Olsen/Martis, Lannan/Balester, JZimmermann/Wells, Hill/Chacin.

Posted by: BinM | March 11, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Last post (with pitch limits)-
Next five days SP's (guess): Cabrera(60)/Towers(50), Olsen(60)/Martis(70), Lannan(70)/Balester(70), JZimmermann(70)/Wells(30), Hill(40)/Chacin(70).

Posted by: BinM | March 11, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

OK getting back to guys who WILL be on the roster;

I see Adam Dunn is playing RF again for team USA. Does anyone have a take on his defense in RF vs LF? If he has the arm to play RF it opens up some options for us if Milledge struggles in CF, how about instead of Dunn/Milledge/Dukes across the outfield you start Milledge/Dukes/Dunn?

Assuming Dunn is a push on LF/RF it puts your best athlete in CF and Millege would be a plus defender in LF vs at best a push in Center.

Posted by: estuartj | March 11, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

New post, with movie recommendation.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 11, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

until Barry mentioned it, I missed this was a Sheinin post. Congrats!

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 11, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Good point, jca. Congrats, Pop!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 11, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Nothing to loose, Lautrec
********
Low cost/risk signing. Nothing to loose here.
Posted by: ecmdfan | March 11, 2009 5:57 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 12, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Ear ear, CE.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 12, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Oh boy. Is my face rouge after I came up short and gave the wrong impression in my attempt at humor. I was thinking of a contemporary of Lautrec's. There I go tilting at windmills again...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 12, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse