No Comeback

Do we want a little game update action? Yessir. Because nail-biting action we've had. The Tigers took a 2-0 lead into the bottom of the eighth, and the Nats sure looked like they were about to dent that deficit, if not erase it. They loaded the bases with no outs: Luke Montz reached on a catcher interference. Roger Bernadina splashed a blooper to left. Pete Orr, just back from his stint with the Canada WBC team, bunted for a hit.

And just then, the top of the order came up.

But Lastings Milledge, facing Detroit lefty Clay Rapada, struck out. So did Freddie Bynum (who turned 29 today). Finally, Kory Casto blasted a fly ball to the right field warning track, but Detroit's Brennan Boesch made a lunging catch before colliding with the wall.

So, Detroit takes its 2-0 lead into the ninth.

If I post again, it's because a comeback is a-brewin. If not, assume your Nats fall to 7-7-2, four games behind Atlanta in the Grapefruit League race for glory and eternal adulation.

(*) Oh by the way... I goofed in the earlier post with the reference of Belliard's play. He was at third. 5-3. Please correct, if you're scoring at home.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 15, 2009; 3:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lots Of Walks, No Runs
Next: More On Tavarez

Comments

Eh, the guys have our devotion, if not yet our adulation.

The next round of cuts occurs tomorrow, yes? It seems to me that our man Balester needs to go down, even though we all have high hopes for him. It also seems clear that Gustavo Chacin is not offering us much, and needs to go down sooner or later. As I said just before being new-posted, I think Kory Casto has run out of chances to be considered a prospect, and will be one of the last cuts.

How long into spring training will the team keep all the catchers? I haven't paid enough attention to the battle for the backup slot. I guess the fact that Flores is hurt helps them, because they may be auditioning for 2 spots to open the season.

Here is Eldred. I am all for another home run right about now.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee-

Sorry to hear that report about Milledge. I don't know what one could say in return. Glad you enjoyed the day, in any case.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

JayB, nice in-person descriptions. Very calm and reasoned observations, too, I might add.

nunof1: that was weird, considering I was agreeing with you about the haters.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 15, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I second NatsNut. Thanks for your detailed report and for keeping an open mind, JayB. I envy you getting to see live baseball. Can't wait 'til the season starts.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 15, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

p.s. Chico, tell Goessling that Affleck is associated with a different Jennifer (Garner). Marc Antony would be the one who needs to watch his back. Gotta keep a finger on the pulse of the whole pop culture thing, ya know.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 15, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

We'll see how Jennifer Lopez look to Julian when he gets sent home without his beer.

Posted by: natsguy | March 15, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kevin.. wake up.. Kory Casto can't be "cut" Hes out of options. He'll go on waivers or make the team. ANd let's hope for his sake he gets the hell out of this god awful organization

Posted by: ovrnats | March 15, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

[from earlier today]

"So, he 'beer-goggled' (thx to +1/2 St.) his way into Viera with the Nationals; At least he's honest. We'll see if he can actually make the staff in the next couple of weeks.

Posted by: BinM | March 15, 2009 1:40 PM"

hey BinM,

... I want nothing more than to get good baseball from Julie. And I was on-board with this signing the minute I read about it, and said as much.

... but when I read his insensitive (a good safe and charitable description) comments about a 600 -lb wanting to be mistaken as J-Lo ...

("... you're just waiting, waiting, a 600-pounder looks like J. Lo."),

my whole impression of him changed, and I began to see him as some others here do - as a clubhouse problem waiting to happen.

... sorry, but it's my right to change my mind.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 15, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

New post, same discussion.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 15, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse