One Scoreless IP For Hill

Shawn Hill, your starting pitcher, is already done for the day. One inning, no runs. It's a baby step, for sure, but that is what happens when you're coming off a 17-day layoff that included one Dr. James Andrews visit.

Making his first spring appearance since Feb. 27, Hill threw 16 pitches in the first inning against the Marlins. Twelve were strikes. He got ahead of all three hitters he faced, striking out two -- one swinging, one looking.

The real test, of course, is how his arm feels later today, tomorrow, and every day hereafter. When we talk to Hill a little bit later, I'll post here. Jordan Zimmermann is now on the hill, making for a tidy contrast. Hill's latest injuries this spring have forced the Nats to hold off on any assumptions about his ability to be in the rotation. Zimmermann's dazzling spring has forced the Nats to keep a rotation spot wide open for him.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 16, 2009; 1:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More About The Cuts
Next: Hill, Zimmermann

Comments

JayBee:

I once asked the question to my former college coach who was the Indians' and Rockies' minor league field coordinator after he quit college coaching. Big league coaches and the manager have zero input on who does the instruction on the minor league level. The GM controls that with input from the farm director. Major league organizations are surprisingly segmented in that respect. Maybe the Nats are different, but I doubt it.

I will say though that Spin Williams has a pretty good rep, I think, as an instructor.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 16, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait. You said "Broken Cheese" is on the mound for the bottom of the second. I can figure cheese having to do with Wisconsin, but can't otherwise figure out the reference.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 16, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

3 up, 3 down for NN.

1 flyball out, 2 strikeouts.

Posted by: Section138 | March 16, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

And a scoreless inning for Zimmerman - 2 strike outs. Sweet!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 16, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

allow me:

the broken part is from Jordan Zimmerman's broken face when he got hit with a line drive back in the day.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 16, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Newposted:

Broken Cheese is aka The Zimm Reaper. Somebody called him the Broken Face of the Franchise in here awhile back (due to his attempt to catch a line drive with his face while pitching for the Wisconsin-Stevens Point "Pointers"), and we've been toying with calling him "Cheese" due to the Wisconsin connection (and because it would be fun to yell at games).

Speaking of the Grim Cheeser, he followed Hill's script and sent them down in order in the second with two Ks to boot.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 16, 2009 1:40 PM

Posted by: BobLHead | March 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for Chico! Hooray for 138! Hooray for Patty (and anyone else who posts updates) My heroes!

Posted by: NatsNut | March 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Now that all six of us have all updated each other ....

Posted by: BobLHead | March 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Carrying over my follow-up for BobL, we could also shout "blessed are the cheesemakers."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Baseball Insider has a Duaner Sanchez-Nats related post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"due to his attempt to catch a line drive with his face..."

LOL!

Posted by: NatsNut | March 16, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Nats up 2-0. Why did Citron hit for Guzman? He's OK, I hope?

Let's keep up with the Broken Cheese and Grim Cheeser. We certainly need good nicknames.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 16, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Casto and Patterson with some hits and runs - Nats up 2-0.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 16, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I like the Grim Cheeser.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 16, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Snark o' the day: Which is higher - number of pitches thrown by Hill today or number of days he's now out until his next baseball-like activity?

Kidding, Kidding - I share Barry's love of the sinker, and just wish i saw more of it.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | March 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me what happened to Alberto Gonzalez (the SS, not the erstwhile AG)? While I may have been out of it for a while, it seems to me that he just dropped off the face of the earth.

Posted by: Traveler8 | March 16, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Zimm Reaper is much better.

Posted by: softballgirl | March 16, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Guzman? Is he okay? I saw that he was pinch hit for in the 3rd inning. A little wierd.

Posted by: brothbart | March 16, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Traveler8: He played yesterday, starting. Got two slap singles if I remember correctly.

Posted by: softballgirl | March 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

J. Zimm appears to be dealing today...again. 6 up 6 down..3ks

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Wait sorry. That was Henandez yesterday. Gonzalez started on Friday I know. Can't remember what he did...

Posted by: softballgirl | March 16, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes sir, Coke... NN is certainly dealing.

another 3 up, 3 down. 1 strikeout, 1 flyball, 1 ground out. I wish we had a pitch count.

Posted by: Section138 | March 16, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Another scoreless IP for the Zimm Cheddar.

Also, AK with a walk and a hit today, now batting .385 in ST. Hope springs eternal.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 16, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Gee, a fellow moves over the weekend, does not have internet access, and misses the big discussion over the player whose now obsolete jersey he has (Milledge #44), the signing of an Ex Sox, a Shawn Hill comeback, and "Broken Cheese."

Julian Tavarez - complete flake, Manny Ramirez's buddy, known to roll fielded balls to first to keep his first baseman awake. I can't do this search at work, but if you google Julian Tavarez Corn Actor Boston Globe, only mispell corn, you'll come across what he told the Boston Globe his preferred alternate career path out of the the Dominican had he not made it off the island through his pitching. And by alternate . . .

Broken Cheese - sorry, too many mixed allusions for it to catch on. No gouda.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 16, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

jca, huh? corne? curn?

Posted by: NatsNut | March 16, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"Julian Tavarez - complete flake,:

But a good guy, and highly entertaining, as evidenced by his J-Lo comments when he got here :)

Posted by: skippy1999 | March 16, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Try pron, NatsNut.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Three more scoreless for Zimm Reaper. This kid is making it hard to send him down for arbitration reasons.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"jca, huh? corne? curn?"

Think Ron Jeremy...

Posted by: skippy1999 | March 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

well, I didn't find your link, but I did find this gem

"Popping corn in bacon fat is a sure-fire way to add rich flavor to the homey snack"

drool...

Posted by: NatsNut | March 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, JCA. You don't think Broken Cheese will stick?

How about these: Adam Dunn, in the outfield with Lastings and Dukes, is The Big Honkey.

Collin Balester = Space Junk.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 16, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Think Ron Jeremy...

Posted by: skippy1999 | March 16, 2009 2:17 PM

*****************

Ohhhhhhh....(blushes)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 16, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah, man. NN gave up two hits.

:SIGH:

He faced 11 batters over 3 innings. 2 hits. 4 strikeouts. 2 groundball outs. 2 flyball outs.

Are they gonna stretch him to 4+ innings today?

Posted by: Section138 | March 16, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Guzman?

Posted by: brothbart | March 16, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Big Honkey is hilarious for being so completely dated. I love it.

I guess one more inning for the Cheese?

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 16, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, jca was inferring the word "born" be substituted. He is just too much the gentleman to have snarked so explicitly.

I like NN for Zimmermann, but isn't that NatsNut's moniker?

Posted by: lowcountry | March 16, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Unless he threw an unexpectedly high number of pitches (not evident from the box score), I would think that the Cheese should indeed be aged for one more inning.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 16, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

My goodness. Six strikeouts in 4 scoreless innings. Nice.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 16, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Nationals shortstop Cristian Guzman left Monday's game in the top of the third inning against the Marlins because of cut on his right pinky toe. He is listed as day-to-day.
therocket.mlblogs.com/

Posted by: brothbart | March 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: NatsNut | March 16, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

So NN (who no doubt has a No-No in his future) appears destined for the big league rotation. I wonder if they would consider pairing him with Nieves as his own personal cracker?

Posted by: BobLHead | March 16, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I missed some, uh, interesting discussions while I was working this afternoon.

I agree that use of NN is confusing. Personally, I like the Zimm Reaper, but I realize that it's long to type during game action. I'd probably default to JZ myself.

I also liked no gouda, jca.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse