Post-Intrasquad Wrap (And A Big Goof)

This game took a while, but finally, it's over. Team 2 defeated Team 1, 9-4. (To help us keep track of who's who, Daniel Cabrera's team won. None of the bullpen guys surrendered a run.)

Two hours, 36 minutes. Manny Acta came out from the home dugout and yelled to his guys, "If you didn't play nine innings, right field line." There, a few wind sprints await.

We had home runs in this one from Justin Maxwell, Wil Nieves, Joel Guzman and Daniel Espinosa, a shortstop who was a third-round draft pick by the Nats last June.

Maxwell probably gets the star-of-the-game award. He went 3-for-4 with a double and one HR. Or rather, he didn't go 3-for-4 with a double and one HR, but would have if only the stats counted.

Now, the goof: The biggest error of the day was committed by yours truly. In an earlier entry, I wrote that an MRI on Dmitri Young's back revealed structural damage. A certain word was missing: NO. He has -- to emphasize -- NO structural damage. Sincere apologies on this. Sometimes, my fingers work faster than my mind. That, or I've got some structural damage in my cerebral cortex.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 17, 2009; 1:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cabrera, Wells, J. Tav.
Next: Mike Rizzo, Briefly Noted

Comments

Posted by: nunof1 | March 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

... no problem Cheeks. I daresay each one of us here has made a typo - even omitted a necessary word here or there - over the life of NJ.

... keep up the good work.

Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 17, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Is there really anyway we see Dmitri play again for the Nats? They would need to clear a roster spot for him and I think that would be kinda risky depending on what happens throughout the season. I guess the could DL him. What if they want to send him to AAA? Does he have to accept? If not, do they still have to pay him?

Posted by: brothbart | March 17, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@brothb:

DaMeat was outrighted to SYR last year. He either goes to SYR when Spring Training ends, he gets posted on the minor-league disabled list, he gets released, or he retires. Any way it plays, he still gets his $5M.

Posted by: BinM | March 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

No problem Chico, Avar had you covered:

*****

Did you mean to say that there was NO structural damage in his back? If not, then what is the damage??

Posted by: Avar | March 17, 2009 11:05 AM

Posted by: BobLHead | March 17, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Taverez threw in the inter-squad - Does that mean he has his work visa?

Posted by: BinM | March 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

>That's okay, Chico. Dmitri is a rather large structure. Even the MRI machine might not get it right all the time.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 17, 2009 2:15 PM

Good point. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Dmitri caused structural damage to the MRI machine.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 17, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

BinM - Thanks! So say he doesn't want to go to SYR and decides to retire. They still have to pay him? I understand the would have to pay him in all other scenarios, but if he decides to retire it seems they wouldn't have to pay him.

Posted by: brothbart | March 17, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Taverez threw in the inter-squad - Does that mean he has his work visa?

Posted by: BinM | March 17, 2009 2:43 PM
---------------------------
No. I think intrasquad games aren't considered "work" but considered "practice" and therefore he's allowed to participate.

Posted by: erocks33 | March 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Wind Sprints always ment that I was about to be covered in mud. As the last guy across the line, all that mud was kicked up into my face. Ahhh, Good Times.

At least you did not make this mistake: "I have love for the Phillies." It of course should be "I have NO love for the Phillies."

Posted by: Batboy05 | March 17, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

@brothb:

Nope, the 2009 contract is guaranteed; there was also a 2010 vested option, based on 2008 PA that he didn't make - be glad for that, at least.

Posted by: BinM | March 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"he gets released, or he retires. Any way it plays, he still gets his $5M."

If he voluntarily retires (i.e. signs the paperwork or makes the public "I'm done" announcement) I don't think he gets paid. But if his back hurts all year or whatever, they'll put him on the DL and he can basically disappear from view while "undergoing treatment" - as he did for big chunks of the season last year. This is why I'm sure retirement is not a possibility for Dmitri Young at this time. In his mind I'm sure he still thinks he can play, but his body appears to not want to let him. If he physically can play, he'll play for Syracuse in order to collect his contractual money. You can count on that.

Posted by: nunof1 | March 17, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

RosenRosen has a nice post up about another Big Goof:

Posted by: BobLHead | March 17, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Glad you admit to your error instead of going back to the original article and adding it back in as another local writer has done ( I guess hoping nobody would notice).

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 17, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

No worries, Chico. You're turning into quite the Nats Beat Writer Workhorse, and filling Svrluga's shoes rather nicely.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 17, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the props BobL

Posted by: Avar | March 17, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@nunof1:

After thinking about it, you're probably right about Dmitri's contract - it's not fully guaranteed until July 1. If he hangs on until then, the Lerner's are on the hook for the full amount; If he retires before then, it would be pro-rated based on the 180 service-day structure.

Posted by: BinM | March 17, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

As natscan noted, we've all made our share of typos and omissions. No big deal.

Thanks for all the great posts (and the humor).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 17, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse