Scoreless After One

Donald Duck was involved in the ceremonial first pitch. What else do you need to know?

No hits, runs, errors or action for either side in the first. Daniel Cabrera was good, getting a lazy fly ball to left, a tapper to the first basemen and then striking out Yunel Escobar with a 77-mph curveball for strike two and a 92-mph heater on the outside corner to finish him off.

And Cristian Guzman, batting in the leadoff spot, swung at the first pitch he saw. I can go away for a long, long time, but some things will always be the same.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 12, 2009; 1:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pregame Notes
Next: Nada Through Two

Comments

I picked my quotes and you picked yours from the Times...they are both there. Difference is you used Acta's view and I used Milledge's words. I do not trust Acta when it comes to Milledge in CF. We know Jimbo and many others including Acta's own coaching staff were way down on Lastings work in CF at the end of last year. We know that Acta was saying Milledge was doing great when others on his own coaching staff were saying they had to play him two steps in from the warning track because he had regressed in Sept on balls hit over his head.

Acta will never tell us the truth about a player and in the case of Milledge, Acta is not impartial and he seems to let his personal feelings cloud his judgment.

I will be in FL this weekend so I will let you know what I see first hand if he has improved.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 12, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Aflac!?

Don't go away, Barry. We'd miss you.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 12, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barry,

Do you think Guzman is tradable in today’s Economically depressed salary market? I would take Alberto G over Guz for his defense and hope that he can learn to raise his OBP with some walks. We know Guz may hit .325 but his OBS is likely going to be .330. I face I recall sitting in RFK in 2007 and his AVG was higher than his OBS somehow.....forget how.....anyway if we could get solid bull pen help and a young arm for Guz I would do it.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 12, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Was it the old Donald Duck, or the new "teenage" Donald Duck?

Posted by: BobLHead | March 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Good thing Jurrjens didn't go to the WBC for the Netherlands. Would have been a bummer to have to go there for just one game and all that...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 12, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Good question....I have never seen the new screech in person but I know I do not like it any better than the old screech.....I will let you know if this pattern is repeated with Milledge after a few games I watch in person next week.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 12, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee, I'd venture to guess that your own OBS approaches 1.000!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Posted by: BobLHead | March 12, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, just wait until Elijah Dukes comes up to bat. He seems to swing at the first pitch about 98% of the time.

Posted by: DangerNat | March 12, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually, counting all the times the count was 0-1 or he put the ball into play, dukes had a first pitch strike 60% of the time last year. He swung at about 44% of his pitches overall, making contact a little over 70% the time. That 70% is low, which leads to his rep for being a hacker. His eye is actually pretty good, swinging at only about 20% of out of the strike zone pitches.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 12, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Bobble, they thought it was the young Donald, but it turns out he's four years older and his real name is Howard.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 12, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

he he, CE. No doubt his goose was cooked when that came to light.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 12, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse