The Great Boone Quiz

(This is from Thomas Boswell, and a perfect way to spend a Sunday evening. The answers will pop up at 9 a.m. tomorrow.)

Good luck to Aaron Boone in his recovery from successful open heart surgery.
I thought a quiz about the accomplishments of Aaron and his family -- grandfather Ray, father Bob and brother Bret -- might be fun. (The phrasing of the questions is not always fair.)

1) How many Boones have batted in the World Series?
2) How many Boones have batted in the All-Star Game?
3) Which Boone did not have 1,000 career hits?
4) Which Boones have been on World Series winners?
5) Which Boone has the most All-Star at bats?
6) Which Boone made the most All-Star teams?
7) Which Boone has seven Gold Gloves, which has four?
8) Which Boone has the highest career OPS?
9) Which Boone had 141 RBI?
10) Which Boone played the most games in MLB history at his position?
11) Who is the only Boone to win a Triple Crown batting title -- HR, RBI or AVG?
12) Most stolen bases -- season?
13) Who is the most famous Boone in baseball history?
14) Which Boone hit .538 (7-for-13) in his only Series?
15) Which Boone hit .412 (7-for-17) in his only Series?
16) Who is the only Boone to homer in the World Series?
17) Which Boone made the most money in salary?
18) Which Boone had the most career homers?
19) Who is the only Boone to lead the league in games played (162)?
20) How many MLB games have the four Boones played -- within 500?

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 29, 2009; 5:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bullpen Day
Next: The Great Boone Quiz Answers

Comments

It was silly of me to post on an expired topic:

BinM was right for us when discussing Tavarez's comments as old news, in that we digested that news and satisfied ourselves with "beer goggle" jokes and got beyond it.

We in The Constituency, or Nats Town, or Nats Nation, NJ, or whatever, are representative of the hardcore fans, but that is sadly pretty small so far. We should hope that the FO will make the decisions for the best baseball, and not our mood. They certainly shouldn't make decisions on the percentage of our posts asking for something or the other.

We need this forum to vent, and to give the Nats FO a sense of what the fans are thinking. Such a thing matters a lot more for the teams with established hordes of fans (I purposely didn't say "big market", since I reject that Washington isn't one), but I believe Stan actually keeps a finger on the pulse, at the very least.

+1/2St/

Posted by: kevincostello | March 29, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Damn Tracee, you want us on planet NJ to do research? OK, here we go...

1) 4-(Bob, Aaron & 2 unrelated).
2) 3-(Bob, Aaron & Bret).
3) 4- (Lute, Ike, Danny, Dan); None of the 'family" Boone are under 1,000 career hits.
4) 3 - Bob, Aaron & 1 unrelated.
5) Bret Boone
6) Bob Boone
7) Bob (7), Bret (4).
8) Ike Boone (.865).
9) In a season, Bret (2001).
10) Bob Boone (CA)
11) Bret Boone (2001)
12) Aaron & Ike Boone (32, tied)
13) Aaron F'ing Boone.
14) Bob Boone
15) Aaron Boone
16) Bob Boone
17) Bret Boone
18) Bret Boone
19) Aaron Boone (2002)
20) 6,559

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

OK, all- Here is an option that would completely be based on emotions, and not on logic. Brad Wilkerson opted out of his minor league deal with the Red Sox after a terrible spring.

I would be happy to have him in Syracuse as a backup 1st baseman, and totally give up on Kory Casto. I don't even want folks to argue about the merits too much, because they aren't there, but it isn't as if I asked for Terrmel Sledge back.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 29, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@+1/2St:

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no place for Wilkerson in SYR. Eldred, D.Young &/or Whitney have 1B/DH roles, and the OF holds Davis, Bernadina, Langerhans & maybe Maxwell.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

BinM-

Nah, not that much of a bubble to burst. I just was feeling nostalgic. I really am happier to have Eldred in the fold after the spring he had. The outfield guys also stack up well- Langerhans and probably Davis as AAAA players, and Bernadina and Maxwell holding out some hope of average major league careers.

I have given up on Whitley, and to some extent the crap shoot that is the Rule 5 draft. I realize that there are successes, and I still hold out hope for Jesus Flores, but we have to hope to get past Rule 5 before long.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 29, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Hah. I have given up enough on Whitney to start typing his name as Whitley.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 29, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

+1/2St:

I was honestly hoping the team was done with D.Young. That would have cleared the path for Eldred to be a marker for NJohnson later this season. having DaMeat back on the roster just clouds the position, imo.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

D. Young will show up and get hits and he has more experience than Eldred and thats what we need with this young team

Posted by: EddieW79 | March 29, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

From MLB.com and Ladson.....Wonder why I get so frustrated with Acta and the Nats, based on 2008....here is why I am so focused on pointing out this year what was so clear last year "Some of the players didn't work as hard as they should have. Milledge acknowledged that he was one of the guys that should have done better in terms of his work ethic. But things are different now. Milledge is often asking first-base coach Marquis Grissom and outfield instructor Devon White for extra work in the outfield.

"We have more of a winning attitude this year than we did last year," Milledge said. "I think we work harder this year than we did last year. I'm not saying we didn't take it seriously last year, but I think a lot of guys are more serious at improving their game. I don't know why. But it seems like everybody has a much better work ethic, including myself." ---Milledge

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Dmitri in action before deciding whether to give up on him. He's like a character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. No matter how many times someone tries to drive a stake in him, he keeps coming back. I think he's got another year in him and besides, he always (ALWAYS) has his best years in the last year of his contract.

Dmitri will not be blocking anyone. It will be a bench position. The only young player that I can really see him knocking off the roster is Kory Casto and I don't think Kory would be as helpfult to the team as Dmitri. Kory can't hit lefthanders and doesn't seem capable of a platoon role either. With a runner on base in the later innings, I'd rather see Dmitri coming up to bat.

Posted by: natbiscuits | March 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@+1/2 St:
You want Zach Day back too?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 29, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@Tracee:

A. Boone.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 29, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Casto is not an MLB level player. Some guys are very professional, very good, but just not able to make that last level jump. Casto will not be on this team ever again. I would like them to keep a Defensive SS like Gonzalez. Guzman has limited range to his left, very limited range. I think a defensive replacement in the late innings would help win a few more games.

D Young.....eh...yes he likely could still hit better than most of the starters on this team.....but he will leave you holding the bag more than once this year with his back, or his illness or his drinking or something....Young needs to be Hill'ed for the same reason as Hill was...you can not count on him being there everyday. Gonzalez is the 25th man in my view.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

So, according to JayBee: "I like what that he says he is know going to work at his game.....I have not seen the results, but I guess this will take a long time if he just blew off the last 7 years of Pro ball."

That meaans that Milledge signed his first pro contract at the age of 15. Shows his usual accuracy.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 29, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I felt like I'd be cheating if I researched any of the answers, so I'll abstain.

Also, F14.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

BTW, there was another Boone (also nicknamed Ike, if memory serves) who was a long-time minor league player in the '20s and '30s.

I don't know exactly how they are related. Distant cousins, I think. OTOH, they all seem to be related to Daniel (Dan'l?) Boone, a real estate developer in the late 18th/early 19th centuries.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 29, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Boone was a man. Yes, a big man!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Boone was a terrific player in the old Pioneer League, as I recall.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 29, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Also, I must say that I would have serious reservations of the wisdom of the Nats FO if I thought that they were factoring comments posted to Nationals Journal into their decision-making process. It's fun to postulate and all but come on. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Good one, JDS!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Working harder is always a good thing. Only the most sullen would take a players expression of hope for the new year and turn it into an indictment on previous performance.

Posted by: natbiscuits | March 29, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee is the most experienced person around here. Nobody works harder than JayBeee. And it shows.

Posted by: AnAppallingLackOfBaseballKnowledge | March 29, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Which Boone would "light up my life"?

Posted by: paulkp | March 29, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Re: Chico's story about 3rd base coaching, some SABR folks are trying to find out if there's enough data available to quantify how good coaches (past and present) are/were. Don't know what will come of it. (I'm not involved in it)

Posted by: nats24 | March 30, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Zach Day! Yeah, that's just what we need!

Anyway, as for Milledge and work ethic and the contention that he has squandered his talent and won't amount to anything:

I don't buy it. I really do think the kid wants to be great. I think one problem for him is a common one for pro athletes. We keep asking him to answer questions, when it would be best for him to just be quiet. It really points to why so many spout out cliches. If they try to answer honestly, they are skewered. If they try to predict what you want to hear (I am going to work hard now), they also get skewered.

The season couldn't start soon enough for Lastings.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 30, 2009 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Guys....This is Lastings 7th Pro Season...Look it for yourself o@

I know it is tough to beleive watching him but that is just the facts.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 30, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 29, 2009 10:09 PM

@Catcher50....I showed you how I got 7 years in Pro Ball.......Care to show the link that gives you age 15?

Posted by: JayBeee | March 30, 2009 5:57 AM | Report abuse

I am sure he wants to be a great player too.....and I agree he puts his foot in his mouth often and these quotes get printed as is.....yet if he was not getting picked off first and running into outs and throwing to the wrong bases and swining at ball 4 more often than not then who would care what he says......it is what I see on the field that drives me to read what he says.....not the other way around.

Posted by: JayBeee | March 30, 2009 6:03 AM | Report abuse

My prediction is the Nats are just over .500 this season. I really love Dunn addition.....something many of us have been calling for is the addition of a true star that can lead by example. I love Josh W. addition not a star but a true professional to lead by example too.

I love the new coaching staff......miles above the old staff. I love the young starters except DCab.....but what can you do....maybe he will grow into that frame. I love Anderson H. at second. Defense wins games and is fun to watch. I love that Zim has lost weight and worked hard this off season. If you have not seen him in person yet, he looks a lot different. He looks very strong. IF Johson can get 100 games in this year....watch out!

Posted by: JayBeee | March 30, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 10:21 PM

~~~~

... on the other hand, is it not true that each one of us individually (and perhaps all of us together) would be simply perfect in the role of GM or President?

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 30, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Definitely not me, natscan, as I don't tend to partake in fantasy baseball and/or armchair GM stuff. I think that I'd better stick with the fan role. :-D

JayBee, thanks for sharing what you see as the positives as well as the negatives. I, for one, appreciate seeing it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 30, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JayBeee | March 30, 2009 6:46 AM

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

JayBeee - I hope your prediction of .500 ball is reality and I like your optimism. I went through the schedule and the fact that the AL competition this is year is the AL East which is going to be tough to get through will make .500 tough.

Playing the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays along with facing the Phillies and Mets the normal 18 times a piece is a tall order.

Any chance the Nats can move to the NL West? LOL