Today's Lineup

Hi, folks. No, I'm not at the game. Don't I wish! Although we are finally having what appears to be a nice day in Washington. So happy to be working.

Chico's computer is melting down -- maybe literally. So he won't be able to post for awhile. He'll relay any news through yours truly. In the meantime, the lineup:

Milledge - 8
Guzman - 6
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 3
Willingham - 7
Kearns - 9
Belliard - 4
Bard - 2
Tavarez - 1

Tavarez is starting today in place of Daniel Cabrera, who was scratched because of muscle spasms on the right side of his neck.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 29, 2009; 11:58 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Win, Astronauts Return, Dmitri Speaks
Next: Technological And Muscular Spasms

Comments

Thanks, Tracee. Hope you at least have a window so that you can see the sunshine.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one nervous about Dunn - 3?

Posted by: kevinx | March 29, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Dunn at 1st base is cause to be nervous, but it still is only an exhibition. They really need to make a trade to clear an outfield spot so Willingham is the only backup at 1st base.

Until Dmitri returns, that is. That messes things up, for sure. Even if he goes to AAA (did he?), I can't see how WMP ever gets back.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 29, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

FLA has basepath speed; Dunn at 1B = be very, very afraid. I hope Manny brought lots of RP's on the trip - don't expect anyone to go more than 2IP today.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

This certainly needs to be tested out wit AD at 1st given Nick Johnson's durability, but how's about working Josh Willingham out at 1st base given he should be this year's stand-in for Nick Johnson when the opposition starting pitcher is a lefty.

Certainly in 2010 this becomes a more interesting issue as Nick Johnson will leave as a Free Agent.

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 29, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Um Tavarez pitched 1 1/3 last night and is now starting? He's got a rubber arm but I'm not sure that's the best thing for him, especially since he's not had any spring training! Oh well good luck JT!

Posted by: skippy1999 | March 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Chico, Tracee,
Thanks for setting up the relay.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | March 29, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

You know I have way more trouble setting up my user id than I'm supposed to. You change email addresses and you have to change registration, so natbiscuit, natbisquit, natbisbicuits, its all me though for the immediate future I've become plural. It started off as a blending of dog treat and happiness over the Expos coming to town. I may yet have to go to a new persona. I've ruled out natsbone, natscookie, and natschew. I thought about natdog, undernats, and natsattack.

Meanwhile on the playing field, I really think the angst over Dimitri making the team and Dunn playing firstbase are misplaced. Forget Dmitri's salary and think about him as valuable pinchitter. Switch hitting and batting .300 from the bench he can be a solid contributor. He could easily grab 100 PH appearances if he stays healthy. Our pitchers are even worse hitters than most. And as a switch hitter opposing managers cannot bring in a pitcher of opposite arm to neutralize his bat.

As for Dunn, I'm not ready to panic over his 3 errors in a WBC game when he had no practice playing that position. Give him a few innings there in the final week and lets see what he can do. He's a good athlete. With a little practice he will likely be no worse at firstbase than Ryan Howard or Carlos Delgado. Not great, but serviceable.

Posted by: natbiscuits | March 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh great, scratched because of muscle spasms on the right side of his neck, in Nats speak that equals 4 weeks on the DL and then another month in some sort of minor league rehab (oh yeah forgot the trip to Dr. Andrews add at least another 30 days).

Point is, (this is what bugs the hell out of me with this organization), if for what ever reason Danny-Son really can't go in two weeks they will resort to retreads like Tavares and Wells. Both of those guys will tank after 3 or 4 innings, teams like the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers can afford stop-gap retreads like that because they can score a ton of runs and in most cases outslam thier opponents even if the retreads give up 4 or 5 runs. With the Nationals that is just not the case (see 2007, 2008). Four man rotation if all else fails, Lannen, Olsen, Martis, Zimmermann. Leave Taveras in the pen!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | March 29, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@skippy:

I wouldn't expect Taverez to throw more than two innings max, maybe only one. Today's game could just be a string of relief pitchers for the Nationals.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, Dunn isn't going to win a gold glove at 1B, but he's spent significant time there. Everybody assumes he's a disaster based on a WBC game. If you want to jump to a comclusion based on that body of evidence, you'd be fearful of Guzman at SS because of the 3 errors yesterday, and that wouldn't be rational. The Nats went through an entire season with Da Meat at 1B, and the world didn't end.

Posted by: nats24 | March 29, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I made the Guz point in an earlier post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@bisquit:

Whatever your new nom-de-plume ends up as, just end your posts with your original handle. You'll always be natbisquit to the regulars in the NJ universe.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

And we'll recognize imposters by the quality (or lack thereof) of their posts.

Note to Tracee and Chico: We will also require updates on Ramirez 'do, bling, and Sharpie styling today.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

So much for patience at the plate in the first frame.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@24, 1a1:

Disregard the WBC performance - Dunn's career numbers at 1B leave a great deal to be desired. This was my primary argument against him back in January; he's not a good 1B, and may never be even adequate. Today's just one more ST game, but I'm not holding my breath for a smooth appearance.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Tavares just gave up 3 H and 3 ER in the first inning.

Posted by: usmc53 | March 29, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I did not intend call you out, BinM, and I did say in my earlier post that I didn't necessarily see Dunn as the solution. My point related more to the idea of basing an evaluation on one exhibition game, whether in the WBC or ST.

Also, game day is wacky. It gave us four outs in the second, then changed to three outs (not that I'd complain if they gave us an extra chance in a frame - particularly if everybody is going to go up hacking).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Tavarez is a loser.

Posted by: edr04 | March 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's be honest though, Dunn's not that great in LF either. In fact, this article uses him as the benchmark for subpar left fielders.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | March 29, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@1a1:

No callout seen on the Dunn query / response. Are you using ESPN's Gameday; I use that at work during the regular season & it can be a little buggy.

Posted by: BinM | March 29, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BinM. No, I was using the MLB site feature.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Milledge picked off First.......

Posted by: JayBeee | March 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

In order to learn from your mistakes, you first have to make mistakes.

My man JayBeee never makes a mistake.

Posted by: AnAppallingLackOfBaseballKnowledge | March 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

To put up with Dmitri, Guzman, or Dunn in the field, you have to be satisfied with mediocrity.

Posted by: paulkp | March 29, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse