Closer to Home...

... Two things I forgot to mention earlier:

We've mentioned Bill Nye the Science Guy as a Nats fan before, but Dan Steinberg has talked to him about it.

Don't forget Thomas Boswell's baseball chat at noon.

And thanks to natsfan1a1 for reminding me of the Adam Dunn story in SI.

Oh, and Oliver Perez blames the WBC:

New York Mets left-hander Oliver Perez believes he's behind in his preparation because of pitching for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic.

Perez, who pitched only two times in 19 days during the WBC, has thrown 8 2-3 innings in the Grapefruit League and gave up six runs, five hits and six walks in 3 2-3 innings on Wednesday.
Even fellow starter Mike Pelfrey, who missed one turn in the rotation because of a leg muscle strain, has thrown almost 30 innings.
"I just threw like six innings in 19 days. That's not easy to come back here after," Perez said Thursday. "I am behind from these guys -- they have more than 15 innings. I have two more starts, and I have to prepare and get ready."
Mets Manager Jerry Manuel and pitching coach Dan Warthen both expressed concern over Perez's physical condition following Wednesday's game. When asked about the impression that he looked out of shape, Perez said it was simply a matter of getting in the exercises he missed while with the Mexico team.
"I feel good," Perez said. "But we were working different in the Classic. We didn't do PFP (pitcher's fielding practice) and all the exercises we do here. You just run and go to the stadium and pitch."
Even though he's behind, Perez said he doesn't regret his decision to play in the WBC because he faced the same level of hitters that he will in the regular season.
Perez agreed to a $36 million, three-year contract with the Mets after going 10-7 with a 4.22 ERA for them last season. He remains confident he'll be ready for the regular season, and is scheduled to pitch April 9 in Cincinnati.
"I feel strong," Perez said. "I don't have that many innings, but I have two more starts and I have to be ready for the season.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  March 26, 2009; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mid-Morning Reading
Next: Zimmermann: Dominance On Field No. 3

Comments

You're welcome, Tracee. Thanks for the Bos(well) chat heads up.

There do seem to be some issues with timing of the WBC for U.S. teams in particular.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Nice to know Shawn Hill is going to start tomorrow... and is targeting a 4-inning outing in the next week. Nope, we didn't need him. Oh, and he is so done that he had offers from 6 teams. Whew, good thing we freed up that roster spot. Wouldn't want to use it on someone who might make us better.

Posted by: kfisher32 | March 26, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Needham on the ZNN decision:

Posted by: BobLHead | March 26, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Hill isn't starting tomorrow; he's scheduled to pitch after Peavy, unless something's changed since I posted this link:

Posted by: joebleux | March 26, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I've wrote about this elsewhere. There is no ideal way or time to hold the WBC. Baseball is not soccer, especially because of the toll on pitchers' arms. Also, because of the disparate seasons. In soccer, it's not a big deal that the MLS has a different season, because USA soccer and the MLS isn't that big a deal. In baseball, MLB is the big elephant in the room, and the WBC has to be configured around it.

The other way would be to gather players in camps in October, for a WBC tournament which would begin after the World Series. There are benefits to that, but there will be some tired arms involved.

Posted by: fischy | March 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"My idea is to think of the WBC a bit differently than the World Cup finals. Or, more exactly, to treat it like the whole World Cup, including the qualifying tournaments. Have the early groups play in middle-late March. That way, players get some time with their MLB teams and get in better shape before they join their national teams. It will improve the play in those early games at the WBC, which can't hurt.

Then, have an extended All-Star break, which would consist of the 2 four-team second round double-elimination groups, followed by the semi-finals and the final."

... that's a flag I would salute.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 26, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Needham on the ZNN decision"

Need ham? Haven't we enough ham as it is?

Oh, there I go with the food talk again. Sorry. Back to you, Chico.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, in my opinion, you actually do Needham on Cheese.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

OT, but a question that has been bugging me ...
Does anyone know why it's OK for Strasburg to have Boras as an advisor when NCAA football or basketball players get their eligibility taken away for even catching a whiff of an agent? There must be different rules for college baseball players, but I've never heard what they are, or why they are, and the only reason I can think of is since the draft falls either during or shortly after a team's college baseball season, the player wouldn't have time to hire someone to represent them so quickly. Which still is a pretty lame reason, I think.
Any help given is appreciated.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | March 26, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Bisquit:

There's an article on the Nationals web site about Saint working with Cabrera on his bunting and hitting. I found it an interesting read.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Barack is what, 6' 4", 6' 5"? I'd imagine he could get a good tilt on his delivery and throw a nice fastball. Thin, whip like action on his arm. More of an athlete than Cabrera due to his hoops routine. I think we may be on to something here.

505203 would say every delivery tilts to the left and far outside, but others might think he is too timid and aiming for the center.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 26, 2009 11:48 AM
__________________________________________________________

JCA,

Nice observation on the new President and his possible delivery. Also, nice job on the subtle work in of politics.

I would say Barack Obama's delivery would be very far outside and to the left, being that he is a lefthanded, with a slight French step on his plant foot.

George W. Bush, who is righthanded, would be so far outside he would actually be a "submariner" if you will, which would be appropriate for his love of war.

See, I can use humor for both sides of the aisle. We Republicans do have a sense of humor, you know.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 26, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

An off day for the Nats. Not so for the Braves, as I'm tuned in down here watching the Jays and Braves. Yes, when the Nats are off, I'm relegated to second rate baseball. Derek Lowe throwing for the Braves today and he seems to be on pace to open for them when they start the season in Philadelphia. While the Disney complex looks pretty nice, it's always better in Viera, but then, you already knew that.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

There seems to be a real consensus emerging (at least among MLB followers) for a mid-summer WBC. I like the idea and think it could be expedited if you moved the inter-league schedule to either side of the all-star break as well, especially if you omitted the inter-league games from counting in the pennant race.

This change would kill two birds with one stone; it would alleviate the inequity of the inter-league schedule in determing post-season teams and would allow the US to field its best team for the WBC. Maybe you could even do the qualifying rounds a year in advance.

Admittedly, I am not a fan of inter-league play anyway so perhaps I'm more predisposed to see it marginalized. But I think that people would still come out for the same reasons. And you wouldn't have to keep Roy Oswalt in the penultimate game for six innings because he needed to get his work in.
_________________________

Posted by: lowcountry | March 26, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

> We Republicans do have a sense of humor, you know.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 26, 2009 1:44 PM

------------------------------------------

Yes, but your tragic fault is that you think the rest of us are laughing with you, not at you.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes Spam, we will all be laughing on the way to the poor house, but at least we will be socialized.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 26, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

> I like the idea and think it could be expedited if you moved the inter-league schedule to either side of the all-star break as well, especially if you omitted the inter-league games from counting in the pennant race.

So you're basically suggesting that they stick a month-long break in the middle of the season and fill it with the WBC and interleague games that are nothing more than exhibitions? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I love off days. At least we're only together in a virtual location rather than a brick-and-mortar one. Of course, if the latter were the case, there would be the option of sending people to their rooms, like my mom used to do with my siblings and I when we were bored and squabbling with each other.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Right, modern moms have to settle for sending kids to their own chat rooms.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 26, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Well for once I agree completely with Boz. If Martis & Zimm are in the rotation at the beginning, then they better not be there at the end of the year. Assuming health, someone better pull the plug once they hit their innings target for the year because they're both still too young to go the whole year. In the 'we'll never know' category - I wonder if Chico would have had his problems last year if they'd limited his innings some in 07.

Posted by: Bazz | March 26, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"If only we had another high quality pitcher coming along mid-summer to take a spot. Maybe one the fans would get psyched up to see."

I don't think the Rays are going to trade David Price. Not even for Wily Mo Pena.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 1:50 PM
__________________________________________________________
Politics aside, everybody is laughing at you, Spamcastin, nobody is laughing with you.

Redd Foxx you are not.

Now go stick some more pins in your Chico Harlan doll.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 26, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

That's good, BobL.

In other news, there's a blurb on the Astros site that Aaron Boone went into surgery at 11:30 ET. Hope that all goes well with the procedure. Perhaps somebody could check in with his dad later and then let us know how things went.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 1:55 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With the stuff that comes out of your mouth, you hear worse ideas every day. In five minute intervals.

Posted by: Section138 | March 26, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The All Star Game was a big deal when television programming was restricted to the home team and the "game of the week." Growing up in Arlington I could see the Nats and a very fuzzy picture of the birds, both AL teams. On the GOW I got to see Mays, or Aaron, or Clemente or, of course, Banks once or twice a year.
Now virtually all games are available, which deminishes the importance of the game.

Then the All Star game gave exposure to the other leagues stars to us all. Now I can see them every night.

My first option would be to drop the WBC entirely. It's Bud's baby and ranks right up there with cancelling the World Seires and tied All Star games as really bad ideas.

If it must be played then every so often, my vote would be once a century, you may want it a little more frequently, cancel the All Star Game and play it every day for a week as a double elimination tournament.
First day - half the 8 games
Second day - remaining half of the 8
third day - losers from day one play and
winners from day one play etc.
After a week it's over and we can go back to important games.

Let's play two real games!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | March 26, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I was reading Boswell's chat, and it made me think about the Starasburg situation and his related article. Something has bothered me about his methodology which is that he has looked at too broad a sample. We really ought to be looking at college pitchers who are #1 overall picks. One could even argue that we should restrict it to those who pitched at high level D-I programs as well. I haven't though. Here is the list:

1. 1976 - Floyd Bannister ASU
2. 1981 - Mike Moore Oral Roberts
3. 1983 - Tim Belcher Mt. Vernon Nazerene
4. 1988 - Andy Benes Evansville
5. 1989 - Ben MacDonald LSU
6. 1994 - Paul Wilson FSU
7. 1996 - Kris Benson Clemson
8. 1997 - Matt Anderson Rice
9. 2007 - David Price Vanderbilt

While there are no HOFs on this list, most guys here were servicable major league pitchers for several years. Of the guys who are done, their career stats:

1. Floyd Bannister: 134-143 -15 seasons
2. Mike Moore: 161-176 - 14 seasons
3. Tim Belcher: 146-140 - 15 years
4. Andy Benes: 155-139 - 15 years
5. Ben MacDonald: 78-70 - 9 years
6. Paul Wilson: 40-58 - 7 years
7. Kris Benson: 68-73 - 7 years
8. Matt Anderson: 15-7 - 7 years

To me this is more relevant. It still points to the fact that it's a risk, but it appears about 50/50 at least that at a minimum, you'll get a guy who will pitch for a while in the big leagues and win 150 games. That's no small feat.

#4

Posted by: db423 | March 26, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with playing the WBC during spring training? It's probably the quietest time of year in terms of sporting events, after the Super Bowl and before baseball, March Madness and hockey playoffs. And it lets the vets, who don't need ST practice as much, play in meaningful games (avoiding Adam Dunn's prior boredom with ST) while giving STPT (spring training playing time) to the younger guys who are actually competing for roster spots. Works for me.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 26, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to encourage the really bad jokes, but spamcastin' kinda makes me chuckle.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 26, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

db423,
Good analysis, thanks for sharing. Much more telling than Boz's.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | March 26, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

#4, that's kind of what Boz said in his column, if I recall. The mostly outcome is that you'll get a .500 pitcher.

The question is, is that really what you want for Boras money?

Posted by: joebleux | March 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I meant to type, "most likely outcome", but "mostly outcome" is growing on me. It's the outcome that you get, mostly.

Posted by: joebleux | March 26, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

> We Republicans do have a sense of humor, you know.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 26, 2009 1:44 PM

Lesson #1 for today: If someone has to tell you they have a sense of humor, chances are they don't.

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"The anger directed at him is kind of disproportionate to the harm he does. What gives? "

Ah, but I finally have a legitimate gripe about him other than how annoying he is: his unfunny slight towards my friend on the other side of the aisle earlier undermines the position of what I believe to be essential to the national security of the United States since all will now think less of us lib Dems. Lock him up!

Posted by: Section506 | March 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut, I'm guessing that factors could be the tone of the posts and the fact that they are consistently targeting an individual.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not on either side of the aisle, 506, so I tend to be put off by partisan sniping no matter which direction it comes from.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

" ... games that are nothing more than exhibitions."

... but ALL of sport, amateur and professional, is nothing more than exhibition.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 26, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I am definitely on one side of the aisle but I don't think politically partisan discusions belong on this blog.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | March 26, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Not that I'm saying you're doing that.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

(Meant that last one as a follow-up to my earlier post. Daggone post intervention factor.)

I agree with you on that, SlowPitch.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

>BobL, I believe part of the ST timing issue is that while the Asian and Latin players may have been playing over the winter, the U.S. players may not have been, so that they aren't as far along in being game-ready. This can be a factor both from a competitiveness and an injury standpoint.

Fair enough, 1a, but I prefer that to interrupting the season for a month, or to playing the WBC in November. I'm not sure the injury risk is that much greater than it is in spring training anyway (see Hernandez, A.). And to the extent that it is, it can be managed (e.g., with offseason conditioning, roster size, pitch counts, number of off days between games, etc.)

And another thing: Zimmerman, Dunn, Nick, Dukes and Milledge = Five Guys.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Delmon Young OF
Matt Bush SS
Justin Upton SS
Luke Hochevar P
David Price P
Timothy Beckham SS

It is too early to tell on David Price and possibly Luke Hochevar, but do you really like your odds on Stasburg when the winningest pitcher you can put up is Mike Moore (sub .500 by the way) against names like Baines, Stawberry, Dunston, Surhoff, Griffey Jr., Chipper Jones, A-Rod, Burrell, Hamilton, Gonzalez, Mauer...

I'm a firm believer in winning with pitching, but I believe that you end up with great pitching staffs by drafting quantity in rounds 1.5-10 and see which pan out. If you have the top pick in the draft, you pick the most talented position player available. History has proven time and time again that taking a pitcher #1 will not change the future of the club, but taking a Junior, Chipper, A-Rod, and even possibly Josh Hamilton, Adrian Gonzalez and Joe Mauer can change the future. We will not know until early June if Green, Ackley, or someone else has the chance to at least be mentioned in the same breath as Strasburg but I'm guessing that there will be some position player that has separated themselves throughout the spring.

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | March 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"What is wrong with playing the WBC during spring training? "

... timewise, nothing. But it is a/ a time when players are not at their best so the WBC would not be a true test of international ball, and b/ it is, by definition, the time of the pro season which is used by players and teams to get ready for their season.

... that is the reason why Bud Light wants it in spring - so that it will NOT have any lasting appeal, nor provide good baseball, and it will die a quick death.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 26, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, in the above list of #1 picks the * denotes All-Stars

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | March 26, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

...I'm guessing that factors could be the tone of the posts and the fact that they are consistently targeting an individual.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:12 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bingo. 1a speaks for me.

Posted by: Section138 | March 26, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

" ... games that are nothing more than exhibitions."

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 26, 2009 3:18 PM

-------------------------------------------

By "exhibition" I meant games that do not count towards winning anything - which is what the original poster suggest that interleague games should be. That leads to no incentive on the part of the players, fears of playing guys due to possible injury, etc. Why would you want to stick a month of that into the middle of the season? Now, if you wanted to say they should just take 2-4 weeks off midseason for everyone to go home and rest up or recuperate from their injuries, that might make some sense. But why stop pennant races to play meaningless games?

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spamcastin | March 26, 2009 3:09 PM
_________________________________________________________

Lesson #2 for today: Spamcastin is an annoying, unfunny Buster.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Uh, sorry. My bad. and some knew it from the start.

Back to the WBC - Best to have a 2 year qualification cycle, like the World Cup. 4 quickee regionals during a bit longer All-Star break in year 1 so that no one's conditioning is messed up. Maybe a haul for the Japanese in MLB, but they might load their qualifying team with home island league players and hold off the Ichiro / Dice Ks for the next year. 2 days of double headers, with a 3d game on day 3 between the 1 - 1 teams for the right to advance.

Next year, the 8 teams meet in another double elimination round, semis, and final. Bring them all to one location, probably the Bay area, LA, Chicago, Baltimore - Washington, or New York, so that you could run double headers simultaneously. MLB teams release players the before Sunday games for travel, then a tournament from Monday to Friday. Monday Tuesday to knock out 2 teams and advance 2 teams, Wednesday for the 1 -1 team face off, semis on Thursday, Friday finals, Saturday return home. Make sure there are off days in the week before and after the tournament so the stars get extra rest.

The down side is that it wipes out 2 All-Star games and means the stars of the 8 teams miss 2 games every 4 years.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 26, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Good points, BobL. The number of off days was a factor in the WBC as well, it seems. Maybe if they adopted a different tournament format it would help there.

Also, why did you have to go and mention Five Guys? Drool... And I'm not even hungry.

---

And another thing: Zimmerman, Dunn, Nick, Dukes and Milledge = Five Guys.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd be okay with wiping out 2 All-Star Games, jca (actually, even more than two).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd also be okay with a new post, which is a good thing, considering.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Phil Nevin was an All-Star?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | March 26, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I said anything about taking a month off. Four, three game series of interleague games could be played over the course of two weeks. They would count in terms of overall record (for waiver wires and the draft) and individual statistics (most importantly for the Player's union), just not for determining the league play-off spots - which still is instituionally reflected in divisional and league competition. Not counting the interleague games would only make it a more accurate reflection of that competition.

Every third and/or fourth year the top twenty-five players would assemble as team USA and their rosters spots would be taken by some minor league phenom for two weeks.

Fans have shown (to my chagrin) that they like interleague play - and will come out to see the superstars that may only come through town occasionally. They also seem to like the inter-city/region rivalries. But as it now stands, those fans are not coming out in May and June because of pennant fever anyway.

Finally, spamc, I think that you underestimate the competitve fire of the professional athlete a bit. I'm willing to bet the Johan Santana and CC Sabathia would have a pretty intense game of checkers if given the opportunity.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I liked the WBC this time. AFAICT, it's only the USA players who have a problem with it being in March. OK, and maybe the DR, but I suspect that was a fluke that won't be repeated soon.
I don't think rescheduling 30 teams for a week, nevermind a month, of the regular season, is worth it for the sake of a couple of dozen players getting time off to play. It's not as if they're going to cut back to a 154 game schedule to accommodate it, either -- we'd be watching the World Series (and I wonder how long it'll be before they have to re-name that) between NFL playoff games.

Posted by: CEvansJr | March 26, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse