Young Day-To-Day With Back Issues

For the last few days, Manager Manny Acta said today, Dmitri Young has been dealing with back tightness.

"We're waiting for him to be 100-percent," Acta said.

For the moment, the team believes Young should be OK in a couple of days. But there is a context here. Young was on the disabled list last season from April 8 until May 15 with a lower back strain.

And this is Young's second minor injury of the season. On Feb. 22, Young was hit by a pitch on his left hand while facing a pitching machine, and missed a few days with a left ring finger contusion.

By Chico Harlan  |  March 4, 2009; 8:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Special, Electric And Great Jordan Zimmermann
Next: Morning Reading

Comments

uh huh.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 4, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Cut him, let him go play for whoever picks up Jimbo.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | March 4, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Scooter: laughed hard at your lunch room reference. Good one!

JiM: thanks for the shout-out a post or two ago.

1a: i'm STILL laughing at your "those pitchers are making me hungry" line.

I think you can count Smoltz as a successful starter-to-bullpen-to-starter example too.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 4, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

... I won't say Dmitri's the back bone of the team, but I will say that a lot of Elijah Duke's success must be attributable to the ample Mr. Young. Another of the "what I'd like to know"s is how much or how little Big Brothering he is doing with ED this year.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | March 4, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Even though it's no surprise about Meat, it's still a bummer.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 4, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Channelling Astro for a moment - "Rot-row, reorge": Less than two weeks into Viera, and four players are on the dreaded "day-to-day" list (Kearns, WMP, Flores, Dameat).
Let the culling toward the 25-man begin...

Posted by: BinM | March 4, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

reposting:

/quote=BinM/ Good references all , but pitchers who by-and-large, served that role only in a late-season call-up; after the next ST, they were all in the starting five of their respective teams.
/quote/

actually, BinM, at one time it was pretty common for a pitcher to break in as a reliever and move into the starting role. it's only been the last 20 years or so it's become uncommon (kinda like QBs and clipboards). more recently, a couple of other very good pitchers did the same thing successfully. joba chamberlain and francisco liriano. maybe kennedy would have been more successful if he'd broken in the way joba did.

Posted by: sec231 | March 4, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Da Meat Loaf will love summering (simmering?) in Syracuse and then CUT HIM LOOSE!

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 4, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

All that extra weight, sore back... I think he needs a more supportive bra. The Mansierre!

Posted by: comish4lif | March 4, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@231:
Valid point, but 20 years ago (the 80's - 90's) a ML team could bring a prospect along a little slower than what is expected in today's game. Liriano would have been an excellent case to the plus-side of your argument, excepting the injury. Chamberlain is good, with two +pitches, but is still unproven as a starter. Kennedy just got pushed forward too soon.

Posted by: BinM | March 4, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@leetee:
Dameat is already on the SYR roster - he's only a STI with the Nationals. He'll only get cut if Eldred or Whitney both prove themselves absolutely invaluable to the Nationals as possible call-ups, thereby pushing him off the SYR roster.

Posted by: BinM | March 4, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Today I was baffled and pleased to see the box score of yesterday's game vs. Italy in the pages of USA today.

Does WaPo have that? Where? I would like it noted that one loyal NJ reader has started skipping long posts of presser transcripts and off field junk.

I crave more than a score, a fraction of a pitching line and a few notes about the actual factual baseball. Like a lot more.

Posted by: nattaboy | March 4, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Dmitri is a good person. I wish him a speedy recovery. If he were smart, he should fly Tatiana down to Viera to get his back straight!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 4, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's pitchers (best guess)...
Hill, Chacin, Atilano, O'Conner, Wagner, Hinckley.

Posted by: BinM | March 4, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or are the Nats going to be a little less like Boys Town now that their Father Flanagan (JimBo) has been sent to that ophanage down the road? If so, that's bad news for Da Meat, ED and the rest of these second-chance hand-me-downs. It's already meant the end of Odalis "Is This Phone Line Working?" Perez. Without JimBo, the triumverate of Manny, StanK and Rizzo might be less inclined to shop for players at the consignment store, like JimBo was. See Boz's column on Thursday along these lines.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | March 4, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I get the hate on Jim Bowden, even if I thought it was terribly tacky. The man is pretty unrepentantly self-absorbed.

I don't understand all the bile for Dmitri Young, though. What did he do other than have health problems to incur such wrath? And if not doing a good job controlling your weight can really inspire such loathing, well, there must be some real hate-filled people out there in modern America.

Posted by: Section506 | March 4, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

BinM, are you blaming Liriano's injury on pitching out of the bullpen? Because if you're not, it's not really relevant to the conversation. And if you are, I'd like to see how you made the correlation.

Chamberlain is pretty proven as a pitcher in general. If you disagree, I think you're part of a very small group. And while he only had 12 starts last year, a 2.76 ERA with 74 Ks in 60 innings is pretty impressive. I think there's enough track record to say that he'll be a quality starter.

I don't think you've invalidated either case I made in the least.

Posted by: sec231 | March 4, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but I just read that John Odom (the kid that was traded from one minor league team to another for 10 bats) died of an overdose. Heroin, methamphetamine and alcohol were in his system.

Apparently, the kid had an addition issue and those who knew him feared that this trade was going to have an effect on him.

Six months after the trade, he apparently quit.

Sad...

Posted by: TimDz | March 4, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Boz, better stop trying to trade Nick the stick ... he is left handed power. Other than Dunn? Where is in this lineup?

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

addiction issue...not addition...

Posted by: TimDz | March 4, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chico -

How about an article on how the Nats plan to improve their hitting.

Looking at the MLB site looks like we're still at or near the bottom of MLB in all offensive categories. I have some hope since OBP looks better than before, but so far, slugging has been dismal, to say the least.

Now I know it's only been 6 or 7 games, but I'm starting to worry that this is looking like last season already.

OTOH, the pitching looks darn good (team stats) even considering the sorry performance of the bull pen thus far.

Posted by: DesertNat | March 4, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

You know seeing Dimitri this season, he looks a bit trimmer than last year. Bad backs can affect anyone.

Geez, leave the guy alone!

Get well soon Dimitri! Do gentle back exercises and moist heat packs on the lower back sure helped me!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | March 5, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

If it was me with a bad back and a Major League bank account I'd be thinking Tatiana for sure!

Posted by: angusgoodson | March 5, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

>I won't say Dmitri's the back bone of the team, but I will say that a lot of Elijah Duke's success must be attributable to the ample Mr. Young.

Where do you get that? Young wasn't even around the team for a majority of the year. He was at home - getting fat, not mentoring Dukes.

Posted by: Brue | March 5, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

>I don't understand all the bile for Dmitri Young, though. What did he do other than have health problems to incur such wrath?

They're paying him 5 million/yr to take care of his body and be ready to play. He did neither. You know where a lower back strain comes from? Being fat and out of shape. He doesn't have a structural defect like a slipped disc, he's hurt because he's out of shape. His fault. Nobody else's.

Posted by: Brue | March 5, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

nattaboy, online boxes and recaps are here:

Yesterday's box is on p. E5 of the dead-tree edition.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 5, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Also, new post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 5, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

He hurt his back because he's a fat hog. There's no excuse other than gluttony for his condition.

Posted by: logan9 | March 5, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse