Mid-Morning Reading

Kid Rock has acquired naming rights to Comerica Park in his hometown of Detroit. And I think that's the only April Fool's story on your mid-morning reading list.

SI picks the Nats to finish last in the NL East, with a 70-92 record. It picks the Mets to win the Series. I don't think their previews are posted yet, but I know someone among this group will let us know if they are.

Our old pal Marc Carig reports for the Newark Star-Ledger about former Nats reliever Jonathan Albaladejo trying to make the Yankees roster.

Florida Today points out the Nats were last in the Grapefruit League in attendance. Well, the Cactus League, too.

I had mentioned a few weeks ago that the DC Circulator was adding a route for Nats games. The route map is now available.

The Miami Herald's Fish Bytes blog says the Marlins might be interested in Phillies castoff Geoff Jenkins.

Speaking of the Phillies, they are one of the teams interested in Gary Sheffield, according to David Murphy's High Cheese blog for the Daily News. The Tampa Tribune says the Tampa native might rather go home again.

Washington's own Emmanuel Burriss gets the Giants' second base job, which gives them an infield even more youthful than the Nats' starting rotation.

Speaking of locals, the L.A. Times says Joe Saunders may have "dead arm"? That's not what you want to hear in April if you're an Angels fan.

The Royals send down their top young pitching prospect because they are afraid of losing Sidney Ponson. Amazing.

Finally, this story from the Seattle Times about 30-year-old Chris Jakubauskas, who pitched in the independent leagues 4 1/2 years before getting a chance at the big leagues. Now he's close to making the Mariners' roster.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  April 1, 2009; 10:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some Morning Reading
Next: Lineup From Dunedin

Comments

Delicious stuff.

I hope the new circulator route runs later than 9pm on gamedays.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 1, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

So, Tracee - part of your job is to look for and read every story about baseball that you can get your hands on? And w/ the Post's resources, that is a lot of material.

I'm sure plenty of things suck about your job but that part is pretty great. I'm not sure I could get tired or reading about baseball.

Posted by: Avar | April 1, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Avar, I was thinking she did that on her own anyway and one day just decided to share with us. ;)

Posted by: NatsNut | April 1, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

The new Circulator will extend its weekday and weekend service for evening games.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Chico,
Reference your comments about Joker Marchant Stadium, I agree that it is a great place to see a ball game, but you haven't been to Clearwater yet. Bright House Field is something else, and you can't pass up a chance to chill at Frenchy's Tiki Pavilion in left field after the game. And if you're in town for Breakfast, don't miss Lenny's just a block and a half from the ball park. I'll be there on Thursday. Hope to see you.

Posted by: phil93 | April 1, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Clearwater also has Hooters' girls shagging foul balls down the lines.

Posted by: sec307 | April 1, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"It picks the Mets to win the Series."

Hahahaha, TWO April Fools' Day jokes.

Posted by: Section506 | April 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

DC's Manny Burriss named starting 2B

Posted by: dclifer | April 1, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

We saw the Nats in Spring Training but at visiting parks this year in Orlando and Kissimmee. Sure it doesn't show up in Viera attendence and I can tell you there were a few hundred Nats fans at the Orlando stadium which is the nicest in the Grapefruit League.

Also, I give SI credit as they are certainly at the low end of the range with 70 wins and last place in the NL East is still going to be better than 2 team in the NL West and a few others. Let's hope for 75 wins or better as that will be an accomplishment this year IMO.

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 1, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Nationals to wear special ballcaps to celebrate "Jim Bowden Appreciation Day"

Tracee - This is the best National's April Fools joke I have seen with some amazing Photo Shop work:

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 1, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The Mets winning the series is a tad bit of a reach. I do think they can win the NL East if the Phoolies have a little post WS championship hangover.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 1, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

If the Yankee$ don't win the World Series with what they did and spent in the off-season, that will be a real FOOL's joke.

I expect the Mets to win the East and the Phillies to be the Wild Card. This could be the Cubs year---but last year was supposed to be too.

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 1, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The Cubs might have a (rally critter?) Project Elwood curse in addition to the goat.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 1, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I predict that the Phillies when the East, because someone has to. The Mets are the chokingest team in baseball history.

Posted by: Section506 | April 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

A visual aid in support of the prediction of my esteemed fellow NJ denizen, 506.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse