Welcoming Phillies Fans to Nationals Park

Stan Kasten's comments during an interview with a Philadelphia radio station on Tuesday are generating a fair amount of reaction from Nationals fans on Dan Steinberg's D.C. Sports Bog. In the interview, Kasten encouraged Phillies fans to come to Washington next week and cheer for their team because there are plenty of seats available at Nationals Park for the three-game series.

Steinberg has the full story, but here's part of what Kasten said: "We have an opening day here Monday, we'd love for all our Philly fans to come down, because I know it's gonna be so hard to get tickets in Philadelphia this year. It'll be much easier if you drive down the road and come see us in Washington."

He added later: "And I've got to tell you, I have gone to enough games in three different sports in Philly to tell you that I haven't always felt welcome in your parks, okay? But you can root for whoever you want, you will be welcome when you come to Nationals Park."

By Matt Vita  |  April 8, 2009; 12:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Swings, New Lineups, Etc.
Next: Through Five: Marlins 5, Nats 2

Comments

Can we have a different option? Like "It's okay I guess, I'll take their money, but I'm not terribly pleased about it"? Or "Irritates me, because he should be spending his time trying to sell to Nats fans"

Posted by: Section506 | April 8, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If this were a small market team, I'd say no problem. More money in the pot for the rebuilding process. But here in DC? There's no call for this sort of thing.

Posted by: petey5 | April 8, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

How about "Big Problem. Way to pimp out the entire organization and alienate its fans to sell some freaking hot dogs."

Posted by: frog7694 | April 8, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

And for some reason the Stones thought it was a good idea to have the Hells Angels provide security at Altamont.

Posted by: mojo6 | April 8, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Geez, Stan. Why don't you just stab us fans in the back?

Posted by: vash462 | April 8, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

It a joke. Put a winning product on the Field and plenty of us will show up.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Everyone should read Steinberg's post, it was excellent.

As I posted earlier, you wanna play that game, Stan? Fine. Expect a large envelope full of what used to be all of my Phillies & Mets tickets from this year before they went through the shredder. You may have duped me into paying for all of those, but you're not going to get the hundreds of dollars in concessions & merchandise sales. Way to alienate an entire fanbase, as weak as you may think it is, for a few hundred more tickets sold on opening day. You're a piece of S.

If you wanted to appeal to a new fan base in the hopes of selling another few hundred tickets on opening day, how about going on DC radio stations and talking about how often the ballpark is invaded by visiting fans, most notably the disgustingly obnoxious Philly fans? Why not try to appeal to Caps fans who hate the Flyers, and Skins fans who hate the Eagles? Why not beef up the rivalry to DC sports fans?

Posted by: fuglynats | April 8, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Bases-clearing double for Uggla. Fish 5, Nats 2.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 8, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm a local (born and bred) individual that has never been to a Nats game because of the quality (or lack there of) of their first stadium and now with the new stadium, pathetic baseball. However, I will be at opening day because I grew up a Phillies phan and am excited to see the World Series Champs on Opening Day in DC! While I could accept a Nats win - its the opponent thats getting me to the game!

Posted by: TerpGrad | April 8, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I got news for you guys. There's no such thing as home field advantage here unless we're playing a team that can barely get home field advantage in its own house, like the Marlins or Pirates. I grew up here, unlike most of you, so I know. Practically everyone here has roots somewhere else, and if they're a baseball fan they still have ties to their hometown team. That ain't gonna change even if the Nats start winning. Then those people will just start saying "I have two teams." The frontrunner fans in DC will come out of the woodwork once the Nats win, but until then the so-called "real baseball fans in DC" need to get over their embarrassment and support their team in spite of ownership. Enough of this "we're a large market, we should be able to support a team, so it's ownership that blew it." That's BS. Ownership now is trying to pull in fans however it can in a recession, because hometown fans refuse to support their team unless it wins. Contrast this with Baltimore fans, who turn out for their opener and can overwhelm even the hated Yankees fans, despite having a team that hasn't won anything for over a decade and a first-class a**hole as an owner.

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

well the nationals have an incredible new stadium, and i think all fans of baseball should have an opportunity to see it. however, when i say all fans i mean all fans except those from philly and probably yankee fans. Philly fans are the worst sort of fans, and should be invited no where. puck philly in the azz with a huge stick

Posted by: ripST202 | April 8, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

zimm and willingham on, 1 out. kearns up to bat.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 8, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

We could retaliate (and make Stan a liar) by treating Philthy fans here like they'd treat us there . . . but I just can't bring myself to be that . . . Neanderthal.

Rally cap time!

Posted by: OldDude | April 8, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

TerpGrad, you are Exhibit A for what I just said. Shred your tickets all you want, guys, it's not going to do any good. Start supporting your team despite ownership, quit the constant complaining, and things will eventually turn around. There's really no other way.

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

kearns was 1-2, and WALKED on 8 pitches. I love those at-bats.

I'm jazzed now. bases loaded. 1 out. c'mon Belly.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 8, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Says a lot about the current ownership/leadership of the Nats. Instead of putting a good product on the field so Nats fans will fill up the stadium, they are resorting to 'leasing' out the stadium to the likes of Philly and Mets fans. Just like Angelos does at Camden Yards when he turns over his ballpark to the Red Sox and Yankee fans. It is just about money to them. Too bad some other ownership group didn't get to buy the Nats.

Posted by: Wallpass | April 8, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"because hometown fans refuse to support their team unless it wins. Contrast this with Baltimore fans"

Yous ir have no idea what you're talking about. In fact the nationals have outdrawn the O's in 4 of the 5 years they have been here. Second Baseball, Hockey and Basketball are all sports where if you win or have expectations you draw. If you don't you won't. Go look it up. Finally, there are many more people from around here then you realize. Whats the deal with the Caps this year or the Redskins for 40 years. Those 2 kinda disprove your point.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Yay! I am so glad we put in Belliard to strike out with bases loaded.

Posted by: CountDemoney | April 8, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I love all the hatred for Kasten's comments...especially considering a number of those people probably won't attend a single game this season. I've got a 21 game package and I will be at Opening day cheering on my Nats. While I hate the idea of a stadium full of Philly fans (way too many bad expierences from Skins games) its a fact of life, Its gonna happen one way or another so who cares if Kasten mentions it or not. If he didn't say anything do we think that all the red in the park would be nats jersey's? If by saying it Kasten sells a couple thousand tickets why not. I'll take the phillies fans money, why not? We need to afford Strasburg and company come June.

Also what homefield advantage....this isn't college football or basketball or even the pro version's. Even hockey has a bigger homefield impact than baseball. The only advantages are the inherent ones of playing at home (batting second, home facilities ect.) the crowd has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: Steveo11 | April 8, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, that was not "a hit, a very palpable hit."

-- The Bard (Hamlet)

Posted by: BobLHead | April 8, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

And the Bard man flies out. Where Nick Johnson?

Posted by: CountDemoney | April 8, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Option C: Fatal Problem. I won't be paying 10 cents to sit around a bunch of drunk, obnoxious Philly fans while Stan Kasten sips white wine up in his sound-proof owner booth counting his 30 pieces of silver.

Posted by: noslok | April 8, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Again, refresh my memory: The Bard is on this team to do what again? Patterson this stiff.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 8, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut:

"Those" at bats:

We get them from Dunn, Nick, some from Dukes and Harris. They are fun at-bats to watch.

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 8, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and TerpGrad and RickDotSalt are mostly right. Anyone younger than 45 who is a baseball fan grew up with a different favorite team and as much as 60% of the adults in this area grew up somewhere else so they have an excuse too. Anyone over 45 who is a baseball fan and hasn't come back to the local team is a dirty rotten traitor and should be tarred and feathered.

The fanbase should build over the next few decades if the kids aren't sucked off by only paying attention to the Potato Team, but until then (and even at that point what with such a large contingent of "I'm from somewhere else") we have to deal with the fact that MANY of the people in the stadium will be there to root for their team and not the Nats. Oh well.

Posted by: OldDude | April 8, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and Dave seemed to think Johnson would be called up to pinch, but no dice. They did indicate that he appeared to be preparing to hit when Bard was up. Maybe he just wasn't ready to hit.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 8, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Nats fan since day one. Been to 3 of the 4 opening days, and in excess of 40 games since they got to town. Currently, I'm looking forward to going to games, but to be honest have no plans to go to opening day. Yeah, I was still considering it, but the thought taking time off work to have to deal with the a-holes that are Philly fans pretty much made sure I won't go.

All in all, what's worst about the Nats is that they were better and more fun to watch when they first got here than they are now. How is it that with less money, no owners, a falling apart stadium and a drunken bumbling primadona (Bowden) as GM they were better than they are now when they have wealthy owners, a shiny new taxpayer funded stadium, and a guy in Kasten who is supposed to know how to make a winning organization?

The Nats management is a joke. Put a decent product on the field and people from this town will pay to see it.

Posted by: rawk | April 8, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Might have been better to put it this way:
On a scale of 1 to 5, how much does it bother you?

Posted by: dclifer | April 8, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it has anything to do with home field advantage. Plenty of Phillies, Mets and Braves fans found their way to Nats Stadium last year, and they will again this year without Stan Kasten's invitation.

But for the Nats president to say we'll welcome Philly fans, to urge them to come to D.C., provide them with a logical reason to do so -- "it'll be much easier [to get tickets] if you drive down the road and come see us in Washington," -- to disparage the team's own Opening Day promotion -- "It's a Nats hat, which is ok, but we do feature for sale many Philly hats in our store" --
it's bush league, plain and simple. Makes the organization, and, by extension, the city look like rubes. Kasten and the entire ownership group/front office have proven in their nearly 3 years at the helm that they have absolutely no PR instincts, no sense of how they are perceived in the public and in MLB, and no shame at grabbing for that last dollar while putting an embarrassingly inferior product on the field. And don't give me any of that stuff about how if baseball fans in DC supported the team he wouldn't have to beg opposing fans to buy tix. If they put a decent product on the field, paid more than lip service to providing "the best fan experience in baseball" or even looked like they had a clue about how to re-build a broken franchise, the fans would be there. If all you can hang your hat on at this point are the f(*)ing racing presidents, then I guess selling out your dignity on Philadelphia sports radio is no big deal. Since 1971, I've been hoping for the big leagues to return to Washington. How much longer do I have to wait?

Posted by: smallsamplesize | April 8, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"I'll take the phillies fans money, why not? We need to afford Strasburg and company come June."

Are you aware that Ted Lerner is the Richest owner in the league

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Would not be a problem if the Nats put a product on the field people around here want to watch. Sad that I turned off last nights game after a few innings.

I was at the Season Opener in Miami with 34,000+ in attendance. Last nights game was 11,124. The Nats home opening series will be the same.

Posted by: Batboy05 | April 8, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

So our hero Lastings leads off the seventh. A new day?

Posted by: BobLHead | April 8, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone younger than 45 who is a baseball fan grew up with a different favorite team"

Really? Please don't say anyone. I am in that category and don't fit. I love baseball and didn't have a team

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

You over-price the whole park and don't field something that even resembles a winner and the best you can do is beg another team's fans to come. Thanks Stan.

Take a lesson from the Caps already. When they stunk (and the Nats stink), they offered season tickets at half of face, buy-one get one with a Wendy's receipt, etc.

I know for a fact I'm keeping my Caps ticket for next year. Nats tickets? Why bother...

Posted by: Rhino20 | April 8, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice Biblical reference with the 30 pieces of silver, Noslok, especially during Holy Week . . . though I wouldn't necessarily equate Stan Kasten's "betrayal" of Nationals fans with Judas' betrayal of Jesus.

We Phillies fans - I'm a recent transplant from Philadelphia now living in Arlington, and I cheer for the Nats every game except for when they're playing the Phillies - are not as bad as you all think. Try wearing a Cowboys jersey to a Redskins game . . . it's no different.

I grew up going to Phillies-Mets games at Veterans Stadium dominated by Mets fans ... and there was nothing better than shutting them up with a home run, a rally-killing double play, and a victory. So if Philly fans show up next week just cheer for the Nats to shut them up ... and be glad that somebody is showing interest in (and spending money on) baseball at Nationals Park.

-----
BTW, the Nat's radio broadcast team of Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler is among the best in baseball (I'm listening right now on MLB GameDay Audio at the office), far better than pairing we have in Philadelphia (yes, including the hallowed Harry Kalas). You might not have a good team here in DC, but you have an excellent radio broadcast team.

Posted by: chrisduckworth | April 8, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Ahah, ChrisDuckworth, a rare breed indeed, the rational, reasonable, articulate Phillies fan! ;)

Posted by: BobLHead | April 8, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Look at any franchise in any sport. With few exceptions (Redskins, Maple Leafs) attendance usually tracks, or lags a little behind, on-field performance.

Perfect example is the Washington Caps. Three years ago they had one of the lowest season's ticket bases in the NHL because they totally sucked for a number of years, plus the strike. For 2009-10 they have already completely sold out and have a seasson's ticket waiting list. Funny how getting the best hockey player on the planet helps attendance. Strasberg and Boras are holding on line 1, Stan.

The Orioles, until the last 10 years, have had a proud 50-year+ winning tradition to draw on and community roots. And, they in one of the best ballparks in MLB.

The Nats had to start from ground zero in 2004. No farm system. No scouts. The former owner Loria even took the computers with him when he left. They probably played in the worst stadium in MLB (RFK). The Expos traded away all their best players to save $$. (Imagine the Nats now with Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips and Cliff Lee). MLB spent nothing on them while they were in caretaker status. They were literally running the ticket and marketing operation out of a trailer in the RFK parking lot. They had no TV deal and got screwed by that horrible MASN arrangement with Angelos where half the time you can't even find the game on TV.

Comparing the Nats and O's is like comparing apples and oranges. On top of all the stuff I cited above we got owners (the Lerners) who have NO CLUE how to market a team or engage in customer service. Ted Leonsis personally answers fan's e-mails for God's sake (he has answered mine). Has anyone actually seen a Lerner in the flesh? The public face of the franchise for the last few years has been Bowden the Clown and Stan the Carpetbagger.

I have Caps season's tickets too and believe me the Nats customer service is like night and day with the Caps. The only time I have ever talked to my Nats ticket rep (the same guy over the past 5 years) is when I call him with a problem and every time he acts like he is doing me a big favor to take my call which usually lasts about 45 seconds because he's obviously a very busy guy. My Caps rep calls on a regular basis just to see if I'm happy.

People have only so much disposable income especially in a bad economy and they are not going to spend it in a place where they get a crappy product and horrible service from the front office all the way down to the concession stands. This is not a reflection on "DC fans". If you had a lousy meal at a restaurant or your car broke down after you got it fixed somewhere, would you go back? Are you going to spend $15-20K on four season's tickets to watch garbage?

Posted by: HistoryBoy | April 8, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, on the bright side, at least we didn't get blown out until the middle innings today.

Posted by: BobLHead | April 8, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey CDW, with the radio "audience" the Nats attract, Charlie & Dave are also MLB's best-kept secret...

Posted by: smallsamplesize | April 8, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Stan...Exhibit A, the Washington Capitals. Put a good product out and they will come. Ted even went so far as to lock the other teams fans out of buying tickets. From what I can remember, this is like the Bullets and Susan O'Malley marketing the NBA's stars instead of her own team. Pathetic.

Posted by: natman19 | April 8, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"Are you aware that Ted Lerner is the Richest owner in the league"

Posted by: Steveo11 | April 8, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

How about: Big problem, this is an insult to all Nationals fans everywhere.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 8, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say this, but I am. I'm a Nats fan, but to put it to Stan, all Nats fans should stay home opening day in protest and just make this another Philly home game. Take that Stan.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 8, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

The Bard: He's the Mackowiak of 2009!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 8, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"So if you worked two jobs you'd pay for purchases of the second one out of your profits from the first one?? I'm sorry but to suggest that a owner should go into his own pocket and operate in the Red during a recession is a bad idea. Sure maybe from time to time you would do that. But Lerner didn't become a billionaire by making stupid business decisons."

Thats Apples and Oranges and quite frankly an awful analogy. First,Part of that wealth is the team. Second in the first year they owned the team, the Nationals had the biggest profit margin in the league, Finally if he/they put a decent product on the field he would make even more money.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

How about problem because the Nats have just publicly let on that they can make a profit by keeping payroll low and relying on Philly, NYM, and ATL fans to show up for 25% to 35% of our games. Then throw in some Pit fans (those idiots come to anything) and sprinkle in the NYY/BOS jackpot every 3 or 4 years.

Everybody wins accept the city of DC who needs to pay back those bonds which rely on stadium revenue.

Obviously the ideal situation is to fill the place up with Nats fans avery night. But that takes some risk and spending by the owners. Why do that when you can spend nothing and get half the crowd?

Most other cities can't rely on out of towners to show up. To really make a killing they have to have a good team. Here the Nats can make a semi-killing with a bad team. That is not good for Nats fans and the District.

Posted by: makplan20002 | April 8, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Did not think my opinion of Stan and the Lerners could be worse... yet again, they have proven me wrong-

What a slap in the face to your fan base.

Posted by: S2DU | April 8, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what a disgrace. Kasten actually wants fans to come to the game and try to sell tickets. Isn't that his job? Why do you think tickets are available for heaven's sakes?

People would rather whine and complain then buy tickets and support the team.

Call me crazy (or worse - no doubt, knowing this crowd) but the Nats would like to sell out the park, every night, if they could. Why should they (or anyone) care who the fans are rooting for, as long as people come, spend money, and have a good time?

Posted by: grforbes | April 8, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"Why do you think tickets are available for heaven's sakes?"

Um BECAUSE THE PRODUCT IS AWFUL

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

When the Caps just sent out an opportunity for season's ticketholders to buy extra tickets for the playoffs it utilized a dedicated link from your personal e-mail address to protect against out-of-town fans getting the tickets.

Maybe Stan can take out an ad in the Philly paper and give their fans a special Ticketmaster link so they don't have to wait in line at will call on Monday to pick up their tickets. They can run the Nats Express buses from Citizen's Bank Park too so the Phillies fans can save money on gas or even better give them free Acela tickets and they can take the Circulator Bus from Union Station to Nats Park.

Posted by: HistoryBoy | April 8, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely voted "ruins". To add more to the point, Philly fans are THE WORST - in ANY sport. Of course, these days, it's all about the bottom line, and Kasten is just trying to sell tickets. Maybe if enough people in DC gave a damn about the Nationals our president wouldn't have to beg rival fans to fill up seats. Philly fans are horrible, but DC baseball fans are just boring.

Posted by: ajtrue78 | April 8, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"All in all, what's worst about the Nats is that they were better and more fun to watch when they first got here than they are now."

No they weren't. Really they weren't. They were just more fun to watch then because they were the new thing in town. The new toy. You could pull that same team forward in time now, leave the talent level the same (i.e. no aging) and put it back on the field and it wouldn't be as much fun to watch, because it's no longer the new toy. The new toy is ALWAYS more fun to play with, just because it's new.

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"I'm still not down with going TO Philadelphia to get them to come down here (even if it is technically sound from a business standpoint)."

Look at it this way. Kasten was being interviewed on a Philly radio show. He could have said either "Come on down, Philly fans" or "You stay away from our house, Philly fans. You're not welcome!" Knowing Philly fans, which of those statements would be most likely to make them want to come down here? Kasten may actually have made the WRONG choice from a business standpoint. Maybe he should have been a little less effusive in his welcome, but do you really think that any Philly fan who wasn't already going to come will be coming now just because Stan invited them?

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I was not aware that your team had to be a perennial contender to enjoy them, or that it was the owners responsibility to provide a product that promises attendance without thought, consideration or care from the fans...If you like baseball, enjoy a beer at the park and want to see you hometown team built into something get some tickets and enjoy. It is called being a fan.

If not I am sure the post will let you know when it is trendy to be on the bandwagon and you can show up then in a party dress to be seen.

Hey the nats got their flaws and I wish I saw them win every game, but every team can't be Notre Dame/Duke/Yankees...nor should we want them to be.

Posted by: JLR75 | April 8, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

To the person who said that all the complainers would not go to any games, I respectfully disagree. I've been attending Nats games since they came to town. I don't mind seeing well-behaved fans representing other teams at our parks. I do mind seeing boorish fans, and the Phillies (and Mets) seem to export a fair share of those. We do try to shout/cheer them down in our little corner of the park, but it's usually a loosing battle.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 8, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

And Stan went way overboard in his comments. I'm natsfan1a and I do not approve of his message.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 8, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Has anyone actually seen a Lerner in the flesh? "

As a matter of fact, I have. Back at RFK one night I saw Mark Lerner standing around by the Mezzanine Food Court just like any other average Joe. I recognized him and I could tell by the look in his eyes that he knew I knew who he was. He didn't shy away on account of that, but I didn't bother him with a comment either. I get the impression that the Lerners in general are much more quiet, self-contained and private people than the effusive Ted Leonsis. That doesn't make them bad people or bad owners, though.

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Another day, another lose.

Stan you had better go on WFAN and WSB and do the same "sales" pitch to Mets and Braves fans, cause after this three game debacle you might be looking at seas of empty seats even after Monday.

Acta does not have this team ready to play. No way can this team have to score 6 runs + every game to win. This is disgraceful.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | April 8, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

What a bonehead. Way to alienate your fans Stanny.

Posted by: thedude1974 | April 8, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Look at it this way. Kasten was being interviewed on a Philly radio show. He could have said either "Come on down, Philly fans" or "You stay away from our house, Philly fans. You're not welcome!" Knowing Philly fans, which of those statements would be most likely to make them want to come down here?"

OR, option 3... don't go on Philly radio stations! Spend more time on DC radio stations talking up the "rivalry" with local sports fans who hate Philly! My God, seriously...

Posted by: fuglynats | April 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"People would rather whine and complain then buy tickets and support the team."

I, like I suspect do most of the people who care enough to comment on a Nats blog, put my $ where my mouth is. I go to games, but what am I supposed to do, buy extra tickets that I can't use, just to "help" these guys out? I thought this was a business, not a charity case.

I care so much because instead of having a coherent, credible plan for on-field success; a cohesive, integrated marketing and PR strategy; and a truly fan-centric, service-oriented organization -- all of which would go a long way to bringing actual Nats fans to games -- the organization chooses to humiliate itself, the city and its fans by encouraging opposing team's fans to come on down to Nats Stadium on Opening Day. So don't give me this "real fans" b.s. If you can't see the difference between promoting your own team -- or even promoting a visiting team's stars -- in your own city and to your own fans, and going on the radio program to sell tix to a competitor's fanbase...well, enjoy the red Kool-Aid, GRF.

Posted by: smallsamplesize | April 8, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The problem with going on DC radio stations is that nobody would hear him because the Nats' signal is so crappy. But that's another story.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

It would make more marketing sense for the Lerners to find some way to bribe Selig to make it mandatory for the opening day of baseball to reestablish the tradition of starting in Washington DC as well as Cincinnatti. Back in the old Senator's days it was an automatically excused absence from school if you attended the Opening Day game.
Starting in Miami in a 2/3 full stadium should be an embarrassment to MLB. Having the President throw out the first baseball was always televised on the 6:30 national news back then and was excellent publicity for the sport. Now if someone from the commissioner's office could come up with one good reason for scheduling the first game in Miami I would be astounded.

Posted by: driley | April 8, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I have heard Stan Kasten repeatedly on non-Nats radio stations in the past few months, and on TV as well, marketing the team and asking people to buy tickets for the games. Is it his fault that you guys don't listen, so he has to go on Philly stations to market the game? I repeat: If there were real baseball fans in DC, they wouldn't need a personal invitation to come to the home opener, even if the team sucks. Baltimore sells out its opener year after year despite lousy teams. Baltimore has real baseball fans, DC doesn't. I know. I've lived all my life here. Doesn't have anything to do with whether the team is any good or the owners are any good. It has to do with whether the fans are any good. And DC's aren't. They're wine and cheese front-runners, just like they were back when they used to go to Baltimore in droves and annoy Orioles fans.

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"The only thing worse than the win/loss record of the Nats is fair weather support of its fans.

Posted by: JLR75 | April 8, 2009 3:34 PM "

Go look up the stats on Attendance and records in Baseball, Hockey, and Basketball. Also the stats on when a team has little or no expectations vs those that do

You will be disappointed

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

UMMMM, RickDotSalt -- check the stats - they WERE a better team then....

Posted by: dah1963 | April 8, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"UMMMM, RickDotSalt -- check the stats - they WERE a better team then....

Posted by: dah1963"

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Earth to Stan:

Put a winner on the field (or at least give that impression) and fans will come.

You're in the fifth season of this city having to tolerate the wretchedness that is the Nationals. And unfortunately, they've gotten WORSE every year since 2005.

Posted by: SavedByZero | April 8, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

" have heard Stan Kasten repeatedly on non-Nats radio stations in the past few months, and on TV as well, marketing the team and asking people to buy tickets for the games. Is it his fault that you guys don't listen, so he has to go on Philly stations to market the game? I repeat: If there were real baseball fans in DC, they wouldn't need a personal invitation to come to the home opener, even if the team sucks. Baltimore sells out its opener year after year despite lousy teams. Baltimore has real baseball fans, DC doesn't. I know. I've lived all my life here. Doesn't have anything to do with whether the team is any good or the owners are any good. It has to do with whether the fans are any good. And DC's aren't. They're wine and cheese front-runners, just like they were back when they used to go to Baltimore in droves and annoy Orioles fans."

So what's your excuse for Attendance being less then dc's 4 of the last 5 years. Real fans my fannie. How about when you couldn't sell out World Series games, yes this happened in Baltimore. Get a clue.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"They way overachieved for the month of June and milked that through the rest of the season, ending up a last place team. They weren't a better team then. They were just the flavor of the month."

They were 4 games out of the wildcard on September 3rd. You can't be serious.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Stan Kasten may feel the profanity-flecked, rude and obnoxious Phillies 'fans' "will be welcome when you come to Nationals Park" but that is most assuredly not true for the little part of Nationals Park I rent for 41 games a year.

I honestly don't know whether to feel saddened or offended by Kasten's comments. So I'm going with "both".

Posted by: greggwiggins | April 8, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"I have heard Stan Kasten repeatedly on non-Nats radio stations in the past few months, and on TV as well, marketing the team and asking people to buy tickets for the games."

That's not what I suggested. I've heard him talking like a used car salesman as well, talking about bands playing before the game, balloon animals, food, galas, and other non-baseball related issues.

I suggested "going on DC radio stations and talking about how often the ballpark is invaded by visiting fans, most notably the disgustingly obnoxious Philly fans? Why not try to appeal to Caps fans who hate the Flyers, and Skins fans who hate the Eagles? Why not beef up the rivalry to DC sports fans?"

Posted by: fuglynats | April 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

RickDotSalt,

I beg you to please stop your argument, because you're losing, badly. If this was a boxing match, it would have been stopped by the Ref on a TKO.

If you wait to long to throw in the towel, you will end up like Apollo Creed in Rocky IV.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the DC radio stations aren't asking the right questions.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 8, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

This is despicable! Would you invite yankees fans to come en masse to Fenway or vice versa?This is insulting.If you can't market to your own fans (all 6 of them)then resign and go work for the Phillies. Go live with Jim Bowden.I hope you get what you deserve. A full scale riot in the Red Porch with all the drunken idiots.Baseball is my passion! I loved the Senators. I'm trying to love the Nats. I hate going to Nats park and putting up with Mets fans, Phillies fans, Cubs fans,etc. on the subway and at the park.If you are a Nats fan it is a very hostile thing to do to go to your own park.Weather you're talking the environment or the game it isn't fun and certainly not an experience I should have to pay my hard earned money to endure.I've given up my seasons tickets. I'm on the verge of not going at all(and I'd go to every game if I could. Bsaeball is that central to me.), not listening on the radio or watching on TV and not reading in the newspaper. So Stan, you could be hurting your friends at The Post. Stan, you should care more about me and not the*****Phillies fans.Really bad ,shortsighted marketing!

Posted by: aia8 | April 8, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with putting butts in the seats whomever they may be. I have a problem with the product that Kasten is putting on the field.

It will take a while for the Lerners to learn how to run a baseball team. Just like it took Leonsis a while to run a hockey hockey team. However, Stan should know better. He ran a great baseball team in Atlanta.

This is a similar team that's been fielded each of the four prior seasons. A bunch of journeymen, a couple washed up prospects getting their last chance.throw in a star and a rotation that couldn't get my softball team out. When will we see better.

Posted by: SuperG5 | April 8, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Who wants to support a loser even if the team resides in your home town? The Nats are horrible and watching them "attempt" rro perform is like watching grass grow. Put a decent product on the field Kasten and the fans will follow.....

Posted by: matrixcl55 | April 8, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Is he kidding? Philly fans are rude, drunk, and act like fools. He must want to turn Nats Park into FedEx Field--wioth lots of visitor fans around. Why not get DC people to watch the team instead? NO TO THE PHILLIE FANS--and for that matter--any visitors. I WILL NOT MAKE THEM WELCOME!!

Posted by: EarlinMidlothianVa | April 8, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I was glad to hear Stan's comments.

Metro D.C. is populated with many folks who came here from somewhere else. It makes sense to get them in the stadium.

Philly fans know the game. I have enjoyed bantering with them.

Sonny Jurgensen and Santa Claus might disagree, but Philly is a great town with great sports fans.

I feel the same way about fans of the Red Sox, Cardinals and Mets (although the latter could drop that attitude).

Posted by: jbartelloni | April 8, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

>>>

Based on your comment you would've thought he did this on a dc radio station. You don't get the big picture I guess

Posted by: JDB1 | April 8, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Kasten should be fired, I honestly believe that. His comments on Philly radio were disgraceful. He leads a front offic that puts a crap team on the field, and then encourages the obnoxious fans of a rival to come our stadium on Opening Day.

I have zero respect for him now and don't believe a word he says.

Posted by: cabraman | April 8, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I guess when you have a minor league team you get minor league management that was having a senior moment. I could understand if the comments came from Mr. Lerner.

Posted by: bucktret1 | April 8, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse