Thursday Afternoon Reading

Lots of daughters on the train this morning. Only saw one son. Any "Arrested Development" fans out there? You'll know what I mean.

One more reminder about the Tom Boswell chat at 2 p.m.

Chico's heading up I-95 to NYC, but here's his story for Friday's print edition on Adam Dunn.

The Mets are having major trouble with their starters not named Johan Santana, says the NY Post AND the NY Times.

The Nationals are one of 10 MLB teams that declined in value over the past year, says Forbes.

The Phillies-Nats game rained out on April 15 has been rescheduled for Saturday, May 16, at 1:05 p.m., a good old-fashioned day-night doubleheader. Jackie Robinson Day -- scheduled for April 15 -- will be marked during the NIGHT game on May 16.

Jon Rauch is still struggling in Arizona, and he's about to be reduced to mop-up appearances, says the Arizona Republic. The D-backs are infested by grasshoppers, by the way. (So was Kansas, back in the pioneer days. Get back to me when they are blotting out the sun and eating the unis off your backs, boys.)

The somewhat depleted Syracuse Chiefs lost to Lehigh Valley, 5-2. Lastings Milledge was 0-for-3 and is hitting a cool .118. Gary Majewski got the save for Lehigh Valley.

Pity the poor P-Nats. After a doubleheader on Tuesday, they got whacked by Winston-Salem, 6-3. It was worse than the score indicates; W-S had 18 hits.

Harrisburg lost to Akron, 3-2; Hagerstown was rained out.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  April 23, 2009; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Minor League Report Returns
Next: Poll: How Will the Nats Fare on This Trip?

Comments

Thanks for the readings, Tracee.

I laughed out loud at your comments about the grasshopper situation. OTOH, the Rauch situation is just sad, IMO.

Nice to see that good old Tex is still going, even if he did get a save against our guys.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Watching Dukes play CF last night made me wistful for the days of the zig zagging Milledge. It was a lot more interesting to guess the circuitous odyssey that Milledge would take to try to get close to a ball hit over his head compared to Dukes' boring direct route to the ball and easy snare with his glove. Lastings we hardly knew ye.

Posted by: mojo6 | April 23, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Tracee the score in Woodbridge was not "worse than it indicates" because most of the Dash's hits were of the bloop variety and/or with two out, which is also why they scored so few runs on that many hits. Something you might have known had you actually seen the game. BTW, thanks for the Post printing the final score in the dead-tree edition.

Posted by: Wooden_U_Lykteneau | April 23, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I continue to maintain that Milledge has some undiagnosed vision problem.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

so last week's rainout is rescheduled for may 16 at 1:05 p.m. am i understanding correctly that season ticket holders have no other option than to go to that game (or eat their ticket)? individual buyers may exchange their ticket for any other home game, but season ticket holders, the ones the org should be trying to retain the most right now, are locked into may 16? if i'm wrong, will someone please help me out. and if i'm right...are you kidding me?

Posted by: gretchenrose | April 23, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Emilio Bonifacio!

When EBoni came to DC on April 18, he was batting .386.

When he left on April 20, he was hitting .321.

After three games in Pittsburgh, he's batting .303.

Any predictions on when his BA gets below his weight (180)?

Posted by: gilbertbp | April 23, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@ I continue to maintain that Milledge has some undiagnosed vision problem.

That is a very kind interpretation, fischy. I hope it's true. You wanna see mean--take a look at what the AZ people say about Rauch. Or don't, it's rather painful. I'm glad this blog isn't that nasty.

Anyone know what Tracee meant by the Adam Dunn comment? The link doesn't work for me.

Posted by: Section109 | April 23, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"Wait a minute - Willingham came to the majors as a catcher. I think he could figure out 1B (he played 1B in 2 games for the Marlins). The unwillingness to put him RF may be the quality of his throwing arm (?).

Posted by: combedge"

He played 3 innings at first in 2006. That's less experience, than, say, Paul Lo Duca.

If the Nats thought Willingham had any potential at first, they would have given him some time there in spring training given that Nick's health still wasn't established and we have no other natural first baseman on the squad.

Posted by: joebleux | April 23, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It worked for me, S. 109. Try this one:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Er, I mean this one:

(Never mind why that other was on my Notepad...)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me that I meant to comment that I loved Chico's Dunn piece.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Tracee - Your Forbes link was posted last night by GoingGoingGone already:
########################
I don't know if anyone posted this but Forbes did their annual team valuations and the Nationals had the largest drop-

The Washington Nationals ($406 million) were down 12 percent.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | April 22, 2009 11:59 PM

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 23, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think as part of the STH "Benefits" - STHs can always turn in an unused ticket for a future games from a list of dates. If you can turn the ticket in ahead of time (and give the Nats a chance to resell it), you have a wider range of future dates to exchange the ticket for.

Look for the "Future Game Ticket Exchange Program" and the "Unused Game Ticket Exchange Program".

Posted by: comish4lif | April 23, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks natsfan1a1. Very good piece. I am really thrilled we have Dunn, not just for his talent and experience but also for his leadership.

Posted by: Section109 | April 23, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

thanks, comish. i'm not sure my lowly "mini plan" falls into that category.

Posted by: gretchenrose | April 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope we can win enough games in the next couple years to make Dunn want to stick around. If he sees us going nowhere, he may take his talents elsewhere, which would be too bad. I really like having him on the team. The lineup of Guzman-Johnson-Zimm-Dunn-Dukes is exciting.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 23, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I apologize for the broken link. Posted quickly so I could join Sheinin and Svrluga at the Post Pub (no Panera close to the office). And sorry I missed the link from GoingGoingGone.

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | April 23, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Going back a bit...

As I was sitting in the stadium the other night the thought occurred to me that that big open space below the large set of lights beyond the $5 seats in right is the perfect place for a small version of the big scoreboard... You might have to trim some of the info that you put on it, but it should be large enough to have most of the stuff you'd like to see... And it would not block the view from any seats (having sat in the far upper part of the $5 area more than a few times)...

I think I'll send Stan an e-mail...

Oh, the answer to the organist question from the Plan Man (since I sent that one to him even before they finished building the park - being that the glass enclosed organ players box behind home plate is one of the few redemming features of New Comiskey) is "it's more complicated that you'd think. Which, to be fair, is true. You need someone with talent - unlike, say, the dude (or dudette) who mindlessly punches a button for one of 10 canned sound clips.

...rambling on, because I can...

Though, truly, if you want the "old school" experience (and a split admission double header is not really "old fashioned" in my book - that would be a SCHEDULED doubleheader with a single admission, but I digress even farther...), you don't have ANY external sound intrusion into the game. I'll have to double check again (since I still have it on the TiVo) but Larsens Perfect Game(TM) has no sounds from canned clips or an organ that I recall hearing during the course of any inning.

Posted by: OldDude | April 23, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Gretchenrose, fear not. Your ticket from April 15 is a "raincheck." It's good to exchange for any other game this season (except the Red Sox series), including the May 16 afternoon game. The STH option just means you can show up that day with your April 15 ticket and walk right in and get your normal seat, as opposed to exchanging it. (I checked this with my Nats rep, so it's solid information.)

Posted by: Section222 | April 23, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Old Dude, re a left field scoreboard, please do not send the e-mail to Kasten before eyeballing the site one more time - that awful red awning already blocks too much view of the Capitol, and my dream is that someday Stan realizes that the great view of the Capitol is and should be one of the distinctive outstanding features of Nats Park, unique among ballparks, and not be reduced to the mediocrity that it is now. If a scoreboard goes up to block the view more, we may never see the Capitol again, and then we just have one more nice new ballpark, nothing very distinctive.

Why, oh why, can't that silly red awning be put on top of the other garage?

Posted by: Traveler8 | April 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

If and when the rest of planned construction goes up new buildings will block the Capitol Dome view anyway. A compromise is to send the email in a few years, post-recession.

Posted by: mojo6 | April 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"if i'm wrong, will someone please help me out. and if i'm right...are you kidding me?"

You're wrong, as others have pointed out. Season ticket holders have two benefits that single-game ticket buyers don't, namely the ability to exchange tickets for future games in advance, and the ability to exchange unused past game tickets for future games. Of course there are some limitations which vary depending on whether it's a full, half or partial plan. (I don't think the mini-plans get these benefits.) What this means is that if a season ticket holder decides not to go to a game because he thinks it might get rained out, then he can exchange the ticket whether it actually gets rained out or not. But if a single game ticket holder decides not to go and then they actually play the game, he's SOL as far as exchanges go. One of the benefits of having season tickets - in addition to already having paid less for that seat in the first place.

It's pretty obvious that whoever raised this issue in the first place isn't a season ticket holder, or they would have known the answer already.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"I continue to maintain that Milledge has some undiagnosed vision problem."

You mean because he sees himself as a major leaguer, where so many others don't?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

section222, thanks for your kind, informative response.

Posted by: gretchenrose | April 23, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

mojo6, I do recognize that new buildings will block the view of the Capitol in the future, but I see no reason why we shouldn't enjoy the full view while we still have it.

Posted by: Traveler8 | April 23, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Thus, my compromise proposal. Wait for that to happen and then put up a scoreboard.

Posted by: mojo6 | April 23, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

mojo6, so sorry, I now get what you are saying - Old Dude, you have your marching orders!

Posted by: Traveler8 | April 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Okay, fine, the problem then is... hrmm... hang on...

Right, so I looked at the panorama from the pitchers mound... and the only place I can see (other than on the roof) that it would work is between the press box and the upper right field stands...

Anyone else have a better place?

Posted by: OldDude | April 23, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"my dream is that someday Stan realizes that the great view of the Capitol is and should be one of the distinctive outstanding features of Nats Park, unique among ballparks, and not be reduced to the mediocrity that it is now. "

You mean that view of the Capitol with a crane in the way, which is what you'd see if they took the red tent down? (I know. I can see the top of the Capitol over the tent from my seat, and there is a crane smack dab in front of it.) Maybe you should suggest to Stan that he could make more money selling "Obstructed Capitol View Seats." Wouldn't THAT be iconic.

Actually, the reason they have probably put the tent on top of that garage and not on top of the other one is because from the other garage you wouldn't be able to see into the ballpark because of the scoreboard. They're selling views of a ballgame, not views of the Capitol. Those are available for free all over DC.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Ah, but I see that you've solved it while I was looking at pictures... :-)

I think waiting till the Capitol is hidden is better as I see the light stand as a better spot for those who would need the board anyway...

Posted by: OldDude | April 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"Gretchenrose, fear not. Your ticket from April 15 is a "raincheck." It's good to exchange for any other game this season (except the Red Sox series), including the May 16 afternoon game."

Actually, I think it's also good if you just want to use it to walk into that May 16th rescheduled game and take the same seat you would already have had, even if it's not a season ticket. But you might want to double check that just to be sure.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone else have a better place?"

They could always put a giant screen directly behind home plate. That section is always half empty anyway, and none of the people who are sitting there are watching the game. They're too busy talking on their cellphones, taking naps or just trying to look cooler than everyone else.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Old Dude, I don't have it on tape, but to the best of my recollection after a couple of viewings of the Larsen game film, I don't recall any extraneous noise either.

(And you're welcome, 109; and bummer about the Panera gap, Tracee.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

hehe, well-played re. the home plate screen, nunof. Added bonus: our pitchers would not have to watch Screech's behind-the-plate antics while they were hurling (kinda makes me want to hurl, but that's another story).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"kinda makes me want to hurl"

Maybe we can use you out of the pen then, 1a.

Posted by: BobLHead | April 23, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

What are Screech's behind-the-plate antics? I haven't noticed him back there during the games I've attended so far this season.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

""kinda makes me want to hurl"

Maybe we can use you out of the pen then, 1a.

Posted by: BobLHead"

Anyone remember the game in Shea in late 2007 when Manny called back to the pen for the Chief, and Cordero was puking into his glove? Good times.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I throw like a girl, BobL.

CiL, while our reliever was laboring on the mound in the top of the 9th last night, Screech was visible on tv standing in the rows behind the plate waving his arms around and being a general distraction (IMO). Now if he wants to do that while the opposing pitchers are on the mound...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I do remember that, nunof. Ah, the memories.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 1a, that is pretty lame.

At a couple of the games I've been to this year, during the 9th inning I've noticed Screech hanging out on the stairs leading up to the "Nats Fans 10" structure out behind right field. After the game we won against Philly, I saw him waving a curly W flag from up there.

So, I guess they are trying to figure out where Screech should be at the end of the game. I wouldn't mind keeping him out by the Nats Fans 10 structure and away from the action. It might not be all bad, either--maybe put him on the roof, build a "nest" up there or something. And in games when we need a rally in the bottom of the 9th, shine a spotlight on him before the inning starts, have him wave a *huge* Nats flag from the roof up there, and incorporate him into those video montage things they like to run along with the movie clips.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 23, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

i would love for the pa to be turned off. they should definitely do it for the old school throw-back games. that would be cool. maybe even bust out the old concessionaire uniforms. there's just too much of a circus going on for me. it's a light show with a poor sound track.

i'd prefer no artificial sound, clap tracks, sweet caroline, etc. just someone singing the national anthem and play ball. announce roster changes over the pa but that's it. that would be nice.

Posted by: longterm | April 23, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to throwback why not go ALL the way. NO PA AT ALL. Bring out the megaphone!

Posted by: OldDude | April 23, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

More than a few times, I have seen Teen Screech hoping around behind home plate while our pitchers are pitching. It seems as though they are specifically scheduling the 9th inning for behind home plate activities.

I would expect these activities are somewhat scripted (they should be) but the current script sucks. Don't distract your own team. If you must do it, hop around when the opposing pitcher is pitching.

Posted by: natbiscuits | April 23, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, CiL, and thanks for your thoughts. I like the alternative of his being in the neighborhood of the Nats 10 structure late in the game, and it could be good positioning for waving the W flag, as you note.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, natbiscuits.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

If you HAVE to prompt the fans (ugh) a talented organist is the best way to go as they can tailor what they are playing (tempo, etc.) to create maximum effect. Something you can't do with a canned clip.

My best of all possible worlds would be no STUFF during innings (except announcements) and a good organ player for the between innings music.

And I want all this stepping out of the box to glove tighten and circling the mound after each pitch to STOP RIGHT NOW! Get sign, pitch, swing (or not), throw back, lean in to get sign, repeat.

Hrmpf.

Posted by: OldDude | April 23, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on all counts, OldDude.

BTW, there are a couple of new posts up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse