A Bit More On Zim

Hey folks. Shortly, we'll get you a link to the updated Zimmerman news story. In the meantime, here's the quick-hit he-said, he-said update. Zimmerman, speaking before today's game against the Marlins, professed no knowledge of ongoing contract negotiations, saying only, "I haven't heard anything, so unless they're talking or doing something, I don't know. I'm just playing baseball." Acting General Manager Mike Rizzo refused comment when asked about Zimmerman negotiations, but called the 24-year-old "a vital part of the franchise, both as the face of the franchise and one of the star players."

During these negotiations, the two sides have used Baltimore's six-year, $66.1-million deal with Nick Markakis as a benchmark. This contract, by at least one measurement, is comparable, because Markakis is set to earn $47 million during the first five years of his deal.

Meanwhile...

* Adam Dunn is getting his first start tonight in right field, an indication of Washington's interest in finding more at bats for Josh Willingham, who fits best in left. Though the Nationals know Dunn's limitations in right -- or anywhere in the field, for that matter -- they appreciate his willingness to try.

"A lot of players really don't want to move around, and they forget about the good old days when we were playing on the playground and just grabbed a glove and play wherever they put us out there," Manny Acta said.

* No Emilio Bonifacio in the lineup tonight for the Marlins.

* To end the inning here in the top of the first, Jesus Flores just threw out Hanley Ramirez. That is Washington's first CS of the year.

By Chico Harlan  |  April 17, 2009; 7:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Night Nats-Marlins Lineups
Next: Washington Natinals

Comments

MASN2 is so stupid.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 17, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

So, am I nuts (you people don't know me well enough to really answer that) but is the "o" missing from "Nationals" on Adam Dunn's shirt?

Posted by: baltova1 | April 17, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Dammit - 2nd & 3rd after a good sac bunt by Lannan, and Hernandez gets rung up with a fastball "on the black".

Posted by: BinM | April 17, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm not nuts! They just showed another shot of Dunn and his shirt says "Natinals." Nice quality control there, clubhouse staff. Since nobody's scoring any runs, I think I'll keep doing spell checks on the other jerseys.

Posted by: baltova1 | April 17, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

You'd think that a guy that stands 6'6" & weighs 275 would have enough room across his chest to spell out "Nationals"; I haven't looked, so I can't confirm.

Posted by: BinM | April 17, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

WT-, Zimmerman's shirt is missing the O.

Posted by: baltova1 | April 17, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

@balto:
It's confirmed - Charlie & Dave just pointed it out on the radio. Yeesh.

Posted by: BinM | April 17, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

re: Z-man - Charlie & Dave just called that out as well.

Posted by: BinM | April 17, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Zim's shirt says Natinals too. I blame MASN standard definition.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 17, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Milledge took all the "O"s with him to SYR (0-3 w/2K, thru six).

Posted by: BinM | April 17, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming these missing "O's" are going to turn into "0"s" in Strasburg's contract.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Posted by: baltova1 | April 17, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

My god. MASN2 without HD is HORRIBLE.

Posted by: 6thandD | April 17, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hunh - somebody on the Nats' bench just got tossed by the HP umpire? The mlb.com feed just went dead - who was it?

Posted by: BinM | April 17, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

All you people who want Riggleman as manager? You got him...and now he's down 1-0.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 17, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Acta got tossed. And there's a new post up.

Posted by: BGinVA | April 17, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

If I can take a break from spell checking here...I applaud Manny for what he did there. The home plate umpire was starting to assume every curve ball Nolasco threw was a strike. He had to rein in that strike zone.

Posted by: baltova1 | April 17, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Great managing job by Riggleman so far, eh?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 17, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

So, Markakis get's $19 million in that last year of the contract? I'm pwetty sure your numbers are weawwy scwewy. Either that, or there's no way the Orioles exercise that sixth year. There's a buyout clause, right? I'm sure they'd take it, rather than pay him $19 million for one year.

Posted by: fischy | April 17, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse