A Few Post-Game Notes

I just filed the final game story from Washington's second game of the season -- an 8-3 accident scene that featured a lot of the same problems from the opener, carbon copied. Again the Nats were down a quick half-dozen or so runs. Again Washington's starter went just three innings. Again we had a shaky Ryan Zimmerman throwing balls third-to-first. Again we had some Lastings Milledge Adventures in the center field theme park.

A few things I wanted to highlight, though.

* Scott Olsen's fastball today was hitting mostly 87 or 88 mph. The adrenaline of his Florida homecoming seemed only to boost his ... change-up, which today registered in the low-80s. As a result, the change-up had little effectiveness. "A lot of the change-ups I thought were fastballs," pitching coach Randy St. Claire said.

Olsen's final line: 3 IP, 8 H, 8 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.

Only twice before in his career had Olsen given up eight earned runs.

* Among the Nats highlights... and yes, it takes some digging: Julian Tavarez threw three scoreless innings. Nick Johnson went 3-for-4. Austin Kearns absolutely demolished a two-run homer in the eighth.

* When Lastings Milledge walked in the seventh inning tonight against Leo Nunez, it was the first time a Washington player drew a base on balls this season. The team now has one walk, 19 strikeouts.

By Chico Harlan  |  April 7, 2009; 11:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Release, A Good Run
Next: Reading, Lineups

Comments

Rubber match coming up. The relievers are looking somewhat better than the starters ... the hitting isn't all that bad.

Posted by: periculum | April 7, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

No, it's too late for the rubber match. That occurs when a series is tied 1-1.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 7, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

BTW - nunof if you think there were really 34K in the stadium yesterday you're out of your mind.

Posted by: RickFelt
------------------------------------------------

Well, Ricky, the announced attendance as printed in the box score was 34K+. I wasn't there to do a head count of my own. Were you? If not, I say we go with the announced attendance as printed in the box score. What say you?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 7, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Where is Willingham??? Does Manny just yell "We need JOSH to pinch hit" and Bard gets there faster or forgets that there is a second Josh on the team? Josh Willingham hit a grand slam and was responsible for ALL of our 5 runs on Saturday against the O's in the exhibition game and then goes down to old stomping ground and sits on the bench for two games? I am stratching my head on this one.

Posted by: ilovethenats | April 7, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

"Where is Willingham"

Josh Bard or Wil Nieves won't be here in two weeks. Willingham will. When you're already down that far, why not go ahead and try to learn something that will help you out in the future?

Posted by: Section506 | April 8, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying this because the team has looked horrible in their first two games ...

I don't understand Manny sometimes. He doesn't like to bunt (Zimmerman added about 10 points to his batting average by bunting in 2006), doesn't like to sacrifice, and with two of the team's best outfielders on the bench, he keeps using guys like Josh Bard as pinch-hitters.

Zimmerman - who I love - seems as though he's just going through the motions, and there are 160 games left in the season.

They need some fire in their bellies.

I have been a huge Lastings Milledge supporter -- I have said that he'll mature into a 30-30 guy and steal some bases. But he looks lost as a leadoff hitter and his defense is best suited for a left fielder. And yet Manny annointed him as the team's CF without any competition and forced the other four guys to battle it out in right.

Nick is hitting but without power. Willingham & Dukes needs to be in the lineup.

With a day game after a night game tomorrow, Manny has a perfect reason to start Dunn at first and Willingham & Dukes in the outfield with Kearns.

And they'll win, even with Daniel Cabrera on the mound.

Posted by: rushfari | April 8, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Okay Manny will you please field your best 8. Milledge takes a breather. He is lost. I know Dukes has done nothing but he does not look overmatched . Milledge does, plus his outfield play is unacceptable. He looks like a legion player out there. Acta's team already looks flat and disinterested. Look at Zimm. Acta is losing this team.

Posted by: mjames0 | April 8, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Lastings cannot field. Get Dukes in there. Why all this loyalty toward Milledge?

I know some thought we'd be better with Olsen and Cabrera but both look like terrible prospects to me. I'd rather take my chances with Bergmann and Balestar.

Posted by: kc21 | April 8, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

"The team now has one walk, 19 strikeouts."
--------------------------------------------

Wow. A major league team has a line like that? Not just one nearly perfect Roger Clemens-like outing? They keep it up, they will make a lot of NL pitchers look like Roger Clemens.

As for the Nats own starters...this is why I was so vocal about the Shawn Hill situation. Hill can throw -- with serious major league stuff. A rotation that Has John Lanna as its ace(?) and Olsen and Cabrera as the #2 and #2 starters is a joke. The last 2 years, the Nats did an incredible job in finding credible starting pitching while combing through the trash heap. They invited a million arms, and found a few that could throw 5 decent innings. This year, they annointed 2 rejects in Olsen and Cabrera (one whose numbers were already in decline, and the other who never lived up to his billing) -- without any competition. And, it shows.

I know the Nats started pretty horribly last year, and even worse the year before -- and they did get somewhat better. I'm sure that Martis and Zimmermann will be better -- and Lannan will pitch better than he did, but he's matched up against the NL's aces. I don't expect much good from either Olsen or Cabrera. Waiting for Strasburg, this could be the longest season yet.

Posted by: fischy | April 8, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

DCAB WILL find the plate; the Nats WILL win; nunof1 WILL no longer be an a-hole; oh wait! do NOT throw the hats on the ice just yet; credulity has been strained.

**************************
And they'll win, even with Daniel Cabrera on the mound.

Posted by: rushfari | April 8, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 8, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

@mjames0:
"He looks like a legion player out there.''

a cruel insult to Legion players

Posted by: nats24 | April 8, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

"I don't know if it's the lighting or he's nervous," Grissom said, "or what it is."

"He just needs to practice more," Grissom said. "Practice, practice, practice."

"Milledge shrugged off the balls over his head in center field -- as did Manager Manny Acta, who noted that the balls were hard hits"

LOL here, this stuff is just too funny. JayB couldn't script material better than this.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 8, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure this has been said, but I feel the need to reiterate ...
I am dang tired of seeing Florida batters trotting around the bases, or flying around, for that matter. These guys are entirely too comfortable in the batter's box and have been for more than a year now. I admit I am still skeptical about Dibble in the booth, but I absolutely agree with him on this -- BACK THESE GUYS OFF THE PLATE!!! It makes me sick to see anything associated with Jeffrey Loria succeed, and these guys have been eating our lunch for far too long. Please, Cabrera, if you do nothing else tomorrow, man up and pitch inside.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | April 8, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

@nunof1:
---------------
Just to let you know, 34k+ includes all the season ticket holders. Most of which won't show up for a weekday day game. Having seen the stands from some videos, it's highly unlikely that the number reported in the box scores is correct. Whether it's 2k, as Ricky said, I dunno. But it certainly is nowhere near 34k...

Posted by: swang30 | April 8, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

"He looks like a legion player out there."

And he runs like a Welshman.

Is it true that Wednesday's game will be played under the mercy rule so the Nats can beat the traffic?

Posted by: Ted_Striker | April 8, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse

Olsen is example A in "Why we should not pick up worthless pitchers because they are innings eaters". He stunk in spring training, and he stinks in regular season. Anyone out there surprised? Does anyone see anything about this guy that makes you think he will be worthy of maintaining a starting position for the entire season? No fastball, no deception, no angst about serving as a batting practice pitcher for the Marlins. I hope alarm bells are sounding in the Nat's brain trust.

Meanwhile...
Perhaps the low grinding sound I hear is the collective gnashing of teeth of the Kearns haters who can't stand the fact that he is playing superior defense AND hitting the ball well.

Does Manny have the balls to pull Milledge out of the lineup? We have a great defensive outfielder sitting on the bench who has better hitting skills than Milledge, can steal bases and is stuck watching an old, fat player try to play second base ahead of him on the field.

I know it is early in the season, but some decisions are just baffling so far.

Posted by: driley | April 8, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

If Manny has any sense at all, he'll pull Milledge out of the lineup tonight. Should be as follows:
Guzman - 6
Johnson-3
Zimmerman-5
Dunn-7
Dukes-8
Kearns-9
Flores-2
Belliard-4

Posted by: dtreynolds1 | April 8, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

What I'd like to see today:

Willingham in left, Dukes in center, Kearns in right (never thought I'd say that, but he's hot right now), Dr. Strangeglove (Dunn) at 1B.

Yeah, it's taking a risk at 1B, but it's a better outfield and a stronger offense. On balance, it's a risk worth taking and even though it's only the third game, it would shake up the team and give two guys playing time who need and deserve it. Nothing wrong with giving Nick a rest, fragile as we know him to be. Anyway, if the pitching continues like this, you know we'll need pinch hitters.

Posted by: Meridian1 | April 8, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

"I know Dukes has done nothing but he does not look overmatched "

We are apparently not watching the same ballplayer. Dukes looked utterly lost in the batters box last night. I was surprised that he was even facing the right way.

He will recover, but he needs to be hitting every day. Ironically, the same is true of Milledge. On a deep major league team, they'd both be figuring it out at AAA, but on ours, here they are.

And Milledge's positioning is part of the problem. The whole outfield is playing too shallow. Am I the only person who sees this?

Posted by: Section506 | April 8, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

And it seems another team up the road has sparked a debate among its fans about what to do with a sudden glut of outfielders, cutting into the playing time of one Ryan Church: http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/ryan-churchs-role-in-2009/

Posted by: Meridian1 | April 8, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I am not a Kearns fan but he had some hits, although he was clearly over matched by Johnson. In any event we need to get Willingham and Dukes in the game somehow. If that means sitting Johnson and Milledge, then so be it. These guys must be stewing watching how Milledge is butchering CF. Milledge needs to sit and work on every part of his game. At least take Milledge out of the lead off spot and move him down in the order to say 7 or 8.

Manny's and Milledge's quotes about the latter's CF play are mind boggling. Do they even read what they say?

Today is game 165 (104 - 59) of the never ending 2008 season. Until Acta plays his best players today is just a continuation of 2008.

Posted by: mjames0 | April 8, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

... first off, I wish there were a way to have this discussion apart from this blog, but I can’t think of one, so here goes (my last word on the subject). My concern is not with your litany of issues, which I find quite disturbing as do you (and many others – on both sides of the line might I add). The things you list are equally offensive to many Canadians. I fear however that in the society in which you live and work, while offering a plethora of benefits in life, is quite often defined by lines of division too harshly defined – lines in the sand, as it were. In that regard I have every sympathy for your situation.

... my concern is with the use of the phrase “politically correct” and its derivatives. The origin of the phrase in NA – setting aside its original use in Mao’s Little Red Book – stems from the simplistic rantings of many conservative pundits and commentators during the 1990’s who used it as a kind of straw man by which to discredit the many valuable initiatives and ideas of the socialist left in both our North American communities. Those issues may or may not be supportable but in a democratic community in which debate and tolerance of all views they are issues which cannot be summarily dismissed as nonsense – which is the ultimate goal of the use of the phrase.

... and to NatsNut: thank you. Yes, I’m a Canuck – proud of it – and I take your explanation of the origin of my comments and remarks as a positive. :)

... but enough of this foo-fa-rah. This is a baseball forum.

Go Nats! ... please.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 8, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

It is day #3 of the 2009 season, and the Nats are tied with last seasons world series champions. Can you believe it? I have a feeling that things will turn around today. There will be line-up changes. Some we will like, some we won't. Cabrera I'm hoping will surprise us with one of his few outstanding performances. It couldn't be any worse than we've already seen. Here is hoping I can have reason to skip my afternoon nap.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 8, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Nunof - please stop defending Bob Carpenter. It sullies us all.

Posted by: RickFelt | April 8, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Today's Line (should be)

Harris 2B
Guz SS
Dukes CF
Dunn 1B
Willingham LF
Kearns RF
Zim 3B
Will N C
DCab P

Johnson first PHer and in for Defense in the 6th with a lead. Manny do you have the leadership skills needed to do what must be done with Milledge and Zim?

Posted by: JayBeee | April 8, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

What is the over / under on the number of Marlins Cabrera retires today?

Posted by: edr04 | April 8, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

That's the intellectual dazzle I was hoping for Nunof1/Spamcastin/ABM.

Make sure you kick your cat before you go to bed....

Posted by: Section505203 | April 7, 2009 11:03 PM

Hey don't forget RKGF and Shockinglackofbaseballknowledge....my personal fav..... He is what he is....don't feed him…. it is fun to makes him crazy.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 8, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Would it be safe to say the Nats honeymoon in Washington is over?

Posted by: BobLHead | April 8, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Acta is a zero at the controls... He seems to be a great coach and a horrible manager

Posted by: NATSFAN10 | April 8, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

"Would it be safe to say the Nats honeymoon in Washington is over?"

BobL: That's a pretty safe bet. Wait until the major leaguers on other clubs get to see our starting "aces" the second or third time. If they tattoo them the first time around, what will happen later on?

I guess by default Cabrera has become our stopper. (Speaking of stoppers, remember when Mussina beat Randy Johnson (Seattle) in Baltimore in a close dandy of a game? Those were the days.)

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 8, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Acta gets confused by his pride, which is huge. He can not admit when he is wrong. This is baseball and it is a game of failures....Managers who can not admit they made the wrong decision are destined to fail too. Examples as everywhere, but most often found in the Post Game Presser like last night were Acta could not admit that Milledge misplayed as least on ball. Then second Bonofacio ball should have been caught to even a good High School CFer, but no.....Acta will not admit that. Excessive pride and stubbornness is Acta's biggest Achilles heel and the one that will see him fired by June.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 8, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

On the contrary, the Post does feature areas where politics is the designated subject matter. This is not one of them. We are all here because of something that unites us. We may disagree about how the team is run or how it plays, but in the end we are all Nats fans. On the other hand, I'm sure that we are a diverse bunch as far as religion, politics, demographics, whatever. There's a place for debate about those subject areas for those who are of a mind to do so, but this isn't it, IMO.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 8, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

hear, hear natsfan1a1!

twitter, message, e-mail, phone each other; spare us.

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 8, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

rushfari wrote:
"The team plays like they are bored, or flat, or like they don't care. They are a reflection of their manager - low key."

I'm from Philly, where we had a very high-strung spaz of a manager named Larry Bowa. He got the team nowhere, despite a pretty good lineup. However, Terry Francona, one of the most low-key guys in all of baseball, takes Boston to the World Series a few years ago. Charlie Manuel, also low key, leads the Phillies to their second World Series victory ever. By and large an excitable, high-strung manger is a distraction. Cool and steady wins the game more often than not.

The problem with the Nats is not the manager's lack of fire, but the players' lack of ability.

Posted by: chrisduckworth | April 8, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Old Dude, glad to see you got the post of the day in the paper - I agree with you, I am still just happy to have a baseball team - so BobL, there are a couple of us for whom the honeymoon is not yet over.

I did see a couple of things in the first two games that I liked - lots of hits, comeback rallies (albeit unsuccessful) and Julian Tavarez's performance last night. yes, these games looked like 163 and 164 of last season, but these steps are progress.

Posted by: Traveler8 | April 8, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I was very disappointed that a late night at work kept me from the game last night . . . now not so much.

A frustrating start to be sure . . . but can anyone really call for Milledge to be benched based upon his two-day performance and not Zimm?

It seems like a bad case of performance anxiety for both of them.

Posted by: lowcountry | April 8, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm in FL and a big Marlins fan. Was at last night's game...maybe 4k fans there. It was cold by our standards (60 degrees, sorry guys) but a ridiculous turnout for game 2. Has the Nats' new stadium helped? I hope ours will. I guess winning cures all, we'll see. Good luck, you'll grow to love Willingham if Manny plays him. Good old Alabama boy that works his butt off. Let's hope Olsen doesn't get the taser gun again.

Posted by: brandonkosnik | April 8, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Given the errors this team has already made, by all means, put Dunn at first and let Johnson ride the bench. This will really boost the confidence of our pitchers.

Posted by: Natsgal | April 8, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I realize its only 2 games; but how in the h*ll could any pundit think that these Nationals will finish ahead of the Marlins in the standings? Our #2 starter couldn't even crack Florida's rotation, they have at several position players who are *clearly* better options at the plate than their counter parts on the Nationals (Ramirez, Uggla, Cantu, perhaps at this point even Maybin).

Ugh.

Posted by: tboss | April 8, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

When the Lerners celebrated with the rest of us back n 2007 the fact that they had been chosen to bring major league baseball back to DC, what we didn't realize is that Papa Lerner's idea of a major league baseball team was the Senators of the 40s and 50s.

He seems intent on producing an exact replica of those Senators teams, and so far he is succeeding. Sherry Robertson, anyone?

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 8, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"Today's Line (should be)

Harris 2B
Guz SS
Dukes CF
Dunn 1B
Willingham LF
Kearns RF
Zim 3B
Will N C
DCab P"

What sense does it make to sit Johnson who was 3 for 4 last night and .500 for the season in favor of Dukes who has looked lost at the plate all spring? What kind of signal is a manager sending by doing that? You have to sit Flores who is hot because it's a day game after a night game, but you don't have to decimate whatever offense you do have. Nick will have the off day tomorrow to rest up. Today should be Kearns CF Willingham RF Harris 2B/leadoff Nieves C. Send Dukes to AAA to work out the kinks. Send Milledge to a team meeting and then to the cage.

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting here, with the attendance and The Hammer heads-up. Exciting baseball by the Marlins for you. Speed and Power. Oh, forgot your Pitching. Your FO has it right.

*****************************************

Posted by: brandonkosnik | April 8, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 8, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Jose Valdivielso? Herb Plews? Tommy Umphlett? Chuck Stobbs?

*****************************
Sherry Robertson, anyone?

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 8, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 8, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ayyiyi, lookin like another forgetable Nats season...Im a Nats fan living in Miami and I went to the game last night, it was ridiculous how empty the stadium was and yet I still had to wait in long lines to get food b/c hardly anything was open. Is anyone else hating the fact that the former Nat Bonifacio is lighting it up as the Marlins' lead-off man and Lastings couldn't buy a hit and looks completely lost in center field?! Meanwhile Scott Olson sucked as well. Looks like we got fleeced on that deal...

Posted by: anthonyschall | April 8, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree with sitting NJ today, but Dunn at 1B??? Why not Willingham at 1B, Dunn in LF? Plus, we'll probably see a lot of Bard today. He should get the start over Flores, day after night game. Also seems like a good opportunity to start Harris at 2B. Heck, why not play the entire bench!

Posted by: dclifer | April 8, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"Im a Nats fan living in Miami and I went to the game last night, it was ridiculous how empty the stadium was and yet I still had to wait in long lines to get food b/c hardly anything was open."
-----
Try the upper deck at Nats park any month in August/September.

Posted by: dclifer | April 8, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

BobL, I posted the following yesterday in connection with Kasten's pathetic pandering to Philly fans. In my view, it's worse than just the honeymoon being over; it's more like a trial separation:

It is amazing to think about how much goodwill the Lerners and Kasten have squandered since they took over the team in '06. Hopefully, they can turn things around. But regaining goodwill is a lot harder than building on it. As the old saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression.
* * * * *
Would it be safe to say the Nats honeymoon in Washington is over?

Posted by: BobLHead | April 8, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 8, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

CIL, quick question. Does having the forethought to listen to a Philly radio station and report on it constitute lacking coverage? I'm just playing with you. Seriously though, I don't pay much attention to "The Bog," but that was a helluva find by Steinberg.

Posted by: dclifer | April 8, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"Seriously though, I don't pay much attention to "The Bog," but that was a helluva find by Steinberg."

He didn't find it. Someone gave it to him.

Posted by: RickDotSalt | April 8, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"As the old saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression."

As odd as this sounds, I'm more cynical than you on this one, CiL. People only remember yesterday. If the Nats went on to win 90 of the next 160 games, Kasten and the Lerners would be heroes. If Milledge were to hit ten home runs in the next five games, he would be the toast of the blog and we'd find some new player to hate more than he deserves.

On a longer timeline, if the Nats win the division in 2011 or 2012, 2008 and the too-early-written-off-2009 would be forgotten. And then if the 2013 and 2014 teams finished third or lower in the division, those division winning teams would be forgotten.

Goodwill is wholly dependent on W-L ratio, for better or for worse.

Posted by: Section506 | April 8, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"He didn't find it. Someone gave it to him."
----
Well, at least he's making a name for himself that someone would give him the info. You can't say that for all journalists.

Posted by: dclifer | April 8, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Goodwill is wholly dependent on W-L ratio, for better or for worse."

Disagree, 506. I think you're conflating attendance with goodwill. Goodwill helps teams get through the lean times. It is in fact possible for a rebuilding team to be well-regarded by its fanbase while it is rebuilding and losing, but to do that, they've got to maintain or build goodwill. The Nats haven't done that.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 8, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I would sit Milledge, you see that is the difference between a major league manager and Manny there is no excuse for what i've seen in CF so far and that includes spring training the kid just doesn't get it after watching him last year i said he needs to get to the park early get acclamated with his position and the new Nats stadium and its surroundings i also suggested he get to the park early to take fungo's and if he was dedicated take extra BP and that was last year, Milledge needs a reallity check he needs to have a seat next to Grissom when his teamates are in the field and let Marquis impart some wisdom. Lastings obviously has a high opinion of himself and his ability, nothing wrong with that if he had the work ethic, and there in lies the problem a good ballclub is strong up the middle,catcher,second base, and of course centerfield in my opinion the Nats have only one player that meets that criteria.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 8, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse