A Few Thoughts From Zim On Contract Situation

For roughly three years, the Washington Nationals' front office has talked on-and-off with Ryan Zimmerman about a long-term contract. If no agreement is reached by tomorrow, those talks turn off for the rest of the season, allowing Zimmerman, entering 2010, to again be eligible for arbitration. And that is something Zimmerman sounds very much OK with.

Speaking today, the third baseman said he would not be disappointed if the sides were unable to reach a long-term deal by Opening Day.

"It's come a long way, and we obviously have a great relationship," Zimmerman said. "But the point is, I'm here for three more years no matter what. If we go year-by-year, I'll go out and put up numbers and see what happens. The hard part is behind me. I'm in the system now, and the great thing is, once you get into arbitration there is really nobody to blame but yourself. You put up great numbers, you get paid accordingly. You put up bad numbers, you get paid accordingly. So, I'm a confident player and I feel like I can go out and put up good numbers. If I have to do it that way, I'll do it that way. But I mean, I love this place and I'd love to play here and be here for a long time.

Explaining why he wouldn't want talks to continue into the regular season, he said, "I don't think it's fair to any of the guys in here if I'm worrying about contract situation when the season starts and our goal is to win. I should be concentrating on winning and helping them instead of worrying about me and making headlines in the paper every day about my contract. I think that's a selfish way to go about the business."

By Chico Harlan  |  April 5, 2009; 5:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some Fun With UZRs
Next: Lineups, Change-ups, And 'Bitter Bob'

Comments

Newposted:

+1/2St:

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, I wrote almost the same thing:

www.planetnj.net/nats

Posted by: wigi | April 5, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

wigi-

Thanks. I am more impressed with your effort than mine. I have added your site to my regular links.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 5, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

RZimm should have been represented by the Devil Incarnate (Boras); That way, his negotating strategy would have been easier to predict (sign, sign, sign; Arb(1), Arb(2), FA). It will play out the same way with his real agent, but for a lot less money.

Posted by: BinM | April 5, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

RZimm (addendum)

With VanWagenen, you hope to get a deal done, but end up with nothing. With Boras, you know that his client is going FA at the end of the contract, no ifs, and's, or but's.

Posted by: BinM | April 5, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

BinM - The difference with Zim and most players is that he really wants to be in Washington, but at the end of the day he has a good idea of his value and won't roll over for ownership. I would expect a small hometown discount, but not a huge discount which is why I would guess there is no contract.

Like Zim said with regards to arbitration, "You put up great numbers, you get paid accordingly. You put up bad numbers, you get paid accordingly."

This will be his year with Dunn behind him to show what his true value is.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | April 5, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

This is in response to a question asked a few posts ago about the Kosher stand by nunof1.

The simple answer to the question is "no, there no way to have it open on the Sabbath". There are many intricacies involved in Kashrut ("kosher stuff") that would make this impossible.

For instance, one thing you might have noticed about the closed Kosher stands is that they are covered and chained closed. Only the mashgiach (the kashrut supervisor) has a key to the lock. In this way it can be assured that everything being cooked is 100% kosher. If anyone could cook on the grilled, what assurance is there that non-kosher hot dogs won't be brought over to be cooked? The mashgiach is responsible for unlocking the grill and then locking it up at the end of the night. Since the mashgiach must be an Orthodox Jew, it would be almost impossible to get him or her there on the Sabbath (and it would almost certainly be forbidden for him/her do to the prohibition of doing work on the Sabbath).

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | April 5, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse