A Vote For Pedro

The news of the Nationals' "mild" interest in free agent pitcher Pedro Martinez coincides nicely with the release of Forbes's annual MLB franchise valuations issue. You saw that, right? The headline: The Nationals were one of 10 teams that declined in value since last year, but still ranked 14th in total value. But unless you looked closer, you probably missed the real news out of the Forbes survey -- which was the fact the Nationals turned the second-largest profit in the majors in 2008 -- a cool $42.6 million.

Even acknowledging the argument that Forbes's numbers can't be trusted exactly because the magazine doesn't have access to the teams' books, clearly it is safe to say the Lerners are doing quite well with the bottom line -- certainly well enough to afford a measly $5 million for a future Hall-of-Fame pitcher who would bring both a veteran dimension to their starting rotation and a box-office draw to Nationals Park some 15 times this season.

This is a no-brainer for me: Sign Pedro. (That's assuming he would come to Washington, which is not a given, even if the Nationals met his reported asking price of $5 million.)

Who would you rather see on the mound every fifth day: Daniel Cabrera, with his hideous lack of command and declining fastball (his ratio of strikeouts to walks has declined from 1.8 in 2005, to 1.5 in 2007, to 1.1 last year, and to 0.8 this year)? Or the (once-) Great Pedro, who despite his age (37) and recent injury history averaged 8.5 strikeouts and 3.0 walks per nine innings from 2006-08, and who would be expected to better both marks if he's healthy?

Yes, the Nationals are already on the hook for $2.6 million for Cabrera this year, but chalk that up as another expensive mistake left over from the Jim Bowden era (along with the Dmitri Young and Austin Kearns deals) -- or else try converting Cabrera into a right-handed bullpen specialist, since over his career he has held opposing right-handed batters to an OPS (.684) that's nearly 150 points lower than that of left-handed batters (.823).

Imagine a September rotation of Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann, Pedro, John Lannan and (pick one) Shairon Martis/Scott Olsen/Collin Balester. Heck, attendance figures might even top 20,000 some nights at Nats Park.

As for Martinez's asking price -- yes, it's higher than how the market is currently valuing 37-year-old starting pitchers with a history of arm injuries. But it seems only fair that there's a hefty surtax on future Hall-of-Famers (see John Smoltz's $5.5 million deal from the Red Sox).

If Pedro's arm is right, it could look like a bargain. And if not, it's only money -- and we already know the Lerners have plenty of that.

By Dave Sheinin  |  April 24, 2009; 12:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Mid-Day Reading
Next: Phillies, Mets Have Rotation Woes

Comments

Pedro was a superlative pitcher for this franchise more than a decade ago. But, his best days are far behind him and I doubt the Lerners would pony up $5 million for maybe 15 starts and a lengthy disabled list stay. Enough of grasping for the past glories of faded athletes. Let this franchise move on to its future.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 24, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

$42.6 Million in profit. Holy Smokes!

I hope the Lerner's are keeping their promise of putting every penny of profit back into the organization for the first several years. Not saying they haven't but honestly, it's not looking that way.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

What's not to like? It's not my $5m and Cabrera is what he is. Here's a radical thought, though - does Pedro have to start? Could Pedro close?

But even if he does - why not? The only nagging thing I have is that as a "mentor" I'd rather have a guy who got by on out-thinking hitters (Maddux, Glavine) than one who got by principally on having insane "stuff" (Big Unit, Pedro). Still, though, hard to see what's not to like. TK will go insane if Pedro finds another little friend to bring to DC. Wait, TK's already insane - ok, TK will yodel himself hoarse.

More seriously, though, it's not like Cabrera is a lock, and it's not at all certain that ZNN or Martis will definitely pitch well enough to stay up all year, so what's the harm?

One year deal, club option for a second?

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | April 24, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Heck yes! I'd vote for you.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 24, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I can imagine Bowden being in favor of this, which is reason enough not to do it. But if you're going to piss away $5M of OPM on a character, I'd rather have Barry Bonds.

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 24, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Only if we can get Guillen back, now that would make for some locker room entertainment.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 24, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If they cut Shawn Hill because of DL fears, and he cost less than $1 mil, I can't understand this signing, unless it were at a rock bottom price...

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 24, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Bringing Pedro Martinez to the Nationals now would be like bringing Denny McLain to the Senators in 1971. How'd that one work out, Dave?

Face it. The only people who would be entertained by the Nats signing Pedro would be sportswriters looking for good copy and the hardcore folks who are already coming to games. No one else is going to come out just to see Pedro, unless he starts to exhibit his old form - which will never happen. The great Manny Ramirez - still in his prime and even more of a household name than Pedro - was here last August with the Dodgers for a three game set, and the high crowd was 26,338. The 2009 Nationals can draw 26, 338 every fifth day without Pedro Martinez.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 24, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

That would be interesting: Acquire Pedro and put him in the lineup when he's pitching against the Red Sox at Nats Park and Yankees in NYC....

Posted by: Juan-John | April 24, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Hold on---Pedro as closer? That is an incredibly good idea, 295. I don't see the downside for Pedro. It would most likely extend his career, while allowing him to pitch more like vintage Pedro for a few innings a week. Does anyone know if he might be open to this idea, given the apparent lack of interest in his services as a starter?

Posted by: jcj5y | April 24, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

And besides, not like we win enough games to stress his arm as a closer, anyway.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | April 24, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Pedro's 36 years old with a history of a torn rotator. Enough said.

Posted by: gilbertbp | April 24, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, it would be fun to see even a shadow-of-his-former-self Pedro pitch for us, and he would inject some much needed life into this club. However, the money would be better spent on two bullpen arms that actually had "stuff".

That said, we're only one tight elbow or shoulder away from Balester, Wells, or Detwiler in the starting rotation. So, maybe it would be wise to have Martis of Cabrera in the pen ready to step-up when needed. And of course, Pedro is the Nick Johnson of pitchers, so you'd probably only get half a season from him anyway.

Posted by: macman3 | April 24, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If Kerry Wood is worth $10m as a closer, in spite of his history of arm trouble, I can't see how Pedro isn't worth $5m for the same job. Wouldn't Pedro instantly be a top-10 closer?

Posted by: jcj5y | April 24, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Pedro gives you a chance to win every 5th day. Last year, not so much, but he was throwing harder at the WBC than he did last year. I doubt he would come here -- and he would not be the draw he is in NYC, where Dominicans are one of the largest minorities. Still, if he succeeds, he will quickly become a fan favorite. There's something special about Pedro that makes him a fan favorite wherever he goes. $5 million? I would rather have seen the Nats pay Hill his additional $600,000 -- but it would show fans that the ownership cares enough to try to send out a competitive team.

Posted by: fischy | April 24, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Not if he can't throw anymore, which it sounds like is the case.

************
Wouldn't Pedro instantly be a top-10 closer?
Posted by: jcj5y | April 24, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Nope, don't like it.

Posted by: OldDude | April 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

He'd actually make more sense to the Os than the Nats.

Posted by: dovelevine | April 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Would rather see the $5 million go to signing Strasburg the SECOND after he is drafted.

No offense but I wouldn't spend a dime extra on this year. Let's try for next year.

Posted by: PNatsFan | April 24, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The argument that the Nats need to mend fences in the DR is an interesting one. I wonder if there's any truth to it. Do locals blame the Nats for their response to SmileyGate? If they do, then signing Pedro would be a relatively painless way to earn needed goodwill.

Posted by: fischy | April 24, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

But speaking of closers, is Zech Zinicola out of baseball already?

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 24, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, nevermind. He's at Harrisburg. Missed him first time through.

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

BYW -- I find the $42.6 million figure interesting -- since the front office decided they couldn't let the .6 ride on a roll for Hill's arm. There was a time when I tried to get to the park if Hill was pitching -- because I thought I'd see something special and because I knew he'd give the Nats a chance to win that day. How many people like me would it have taken to pay for that .6?

Posted by: fischy | April 24, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why $5M is the going rate. Should be at least half that. He doesn't seem to have a place in the rotation, but it would be nice to see him a few times at Nats Park pitching for the home team. And when he is finally in Cooperstown, we can say that he once played for us. I'd say that is worth it.

Another angle: I'd be far more motivated to head out to Nats Park to see him pitch rather than DCab, Olsen or even Martis. And I don't think I'm alone on here.

Posted by: dclifer | April 24, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If the Nats want Pedro they better move fast. The Mets rotation is tanking and that's where Pedro wants to be. Pedro will be an asset to someone this year... regardless of his health. The Mets credited him with adding a fearlessness and an attitude to the Mets young rotation in his time there. And now he's healthy again -- he pitched very well in the WBC. His velocity was in the low 90s -- it hasn't been there in quite some time.

As for the note about Pedro not getting hitters out with his head... Pedro's been compared favorably to Maddux these last few years as he retired major league hitters with an 85 mile/hour fastball instead of his youthful 95. Pitching is about changes of speed and location... Pedro, even injured, remained superb at that.

Pedro would be a great pickup both in terms of his talent and the swagger he brings to the mound. Guys like ZNN and Lannan -- not to mention Hanrahan -- would benefit greatly from having a player of his caliber in their ear.

Oh, and Pedro as closer? Bad idea. Perish the thought.

Posted by: outsider6 | April 24, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dclifer | April 24, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Nope. I wouldn't do it either. Cabrera's lack of command isn't hideous to me (I only know him as a Nat so I don't consider any of his O's baggage). And he's doing well enough.

Besides that, our starting rotation isn't the problem at the moment. I don't recall any of our would-be wins being on Cabrera's shoulders at all. It's the bullpen and situational hitting.

I don't want to see the Lerner's pay $5 million for yet another "if he's healthy."

Posted by: NatsNut | April 24, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

dclifer, I'd go to see Martis over Pedro, although your point is taken about DCab and Olsen, at least in terms of watchability. Martis still has a strong chance to play a meaningful role in the future of the club (DCab likely not and Olsen has more to prove to me re: quality performances instead of just quantity). In short, I'm interested to see how Martis develops on an ongoing basis.

If I weren't already attending when I could, Pedro would be a good one-time draw, but not a reason to keep coming back. Even as a future HOFer, he's not the future of this team, just a potential bridge.

Posted by: faNATic | April 24, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Er, this is a largely academic. He is hardly going to be interested in us when better teams are chasing him.

See also: Teixeria.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 24, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

pedro? no thanks. at least not the 2008/2009 pedro.

the 2008 pedro:
ERA: 5.61
innings per start: 5.45
WHIP: 1.569
HR/9: 1.6 (19 HRs in 109 IP)
K/BB: 1.98 (by far the lowest of his career)

seriously, no thanks. i've said repeatedly i'm all for bringing in the veteran teacher into the rotation. but last-gasp shots and washed up guys doesn't interest me. swapping pedro for cabrera isn't necessarily going to do that much. cabrera can pitch to a 5.61 ERA or better (his ERA has been lower than that every year of his career, all in the AL Beast).

Posted by: sec231 | April 24, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm a HUGE Pedro fan but I'd pass. If he pitches well, I'd much rather he get those innings with a contending team and maybe get one more shot at playing in the Series. If he's awful (or hurt) then I don't want him on the Nats because it would break my heart to see him end his career that way. If that happened I'd want to avoid having to watch it up close and personal.

Posted by: grforbes | April 24, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"NUNOF1: You can't be serious with that comparison McClain was on his way to being a drunk(if he wasn't already) and had some serious mob connections in addition his arm was worn out he had a gambling habit the guy was a walking train wreck while Pedro may be high maintence he ain't close to McClain."

Both were/are finished. Doesn't matter that they took different paths to get there.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 24, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

As a Sox fan Pedro will always be special to me, but I really can't see why your team would sign him. Maybe, maybe a team that has a legit shot and is lacking one back-end starter, for them it might be worth it, but really not at that money, he only goes maybe 5 inning and given his history over the last few years, he is bound to get hurt again.

Posted by: skippy1999 | April 24, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Evidently the Cards considered Pedro as possible closer material back in Spring Training:

The St. Louis Post Dispatch speculates that the Cardinals may pursue signing Pedro Martinez to be their closer.
Martinez has said that he'd be open to the idea. "I would prefer to try it first and see how my body responds because I haven't done it in a long time," Martinez said. "It's something you really have to endure and really try first before you know if your body can do it." He may get some relief work in the World Baseball Classic. Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch Mar. 5 - 10:00 am et

Posted by: BobLHead | April 24, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to defend Pedro as closer for the Nats, even if its never going to happen.

1. Low walk rate.
2. Less risk of injury.
3. More likely that he can mantain low-90s velocity he had at WBC, and thus up his strikeout rate.
4. Lost of experience in pressure situations.
5. He's better than Hanrahan.

Posted by: jcj5y | April 24, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"And when he is finally in Cooperstown, we can say that he once played for us. I'd say that is worth it. "

That plus being able to say that Hall of Famer Frank Robinson once managed for us plus $4.75 will buy you a cup of coffee from the Mayorga stand located behind Section 226 at Nationals Park.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Lots of experience.

I'd forgotten about the Cards considering Pedro as a closer, and hadn't read his quote about being open to the idea. I'm slightly encouraged.

Posted by: jcj5y | April 24, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder how the tv-deal (which once looked terrible and now looks great) affected the $42.6M figure?"

Probably the only number on the income side that Forbes had hard data on. On the expense side, the only hard data they had was probably player salaries. Everything else in that report is basically a wild a** guess on their part, about as close to reality as Lastings Milledge's belief that he had what it takes to be a lead-off hitter.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 24, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't like it. It's high risk, low reward. $5m is a lot of money, even when it's someone else's. Save it for another player for '10 or '11 when it can matter. How many more wins would it get us this year? High side says 2, more likely zero. Plus, I don't want him in the clubhouse w/ all those young pitchers. Finally, if he signs it will be w/ the Mets.

Posted by: Avar | April 24, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

1. a sweet bike.
2. really good at hooking up with chicks.
3. like the only guy at school who has a mustache.

Posted by: tailwagger | April 24, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

technically he already played for this franchise. when it was in montreal. so feel free to say that anyway.

Posted by: sec231 | April 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

along the lines of what avar said, save that $5m to use in taking on salary in a trade that's a salary dump come july.

Posted by: sec231 | April 24, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Nunof,

I realize you are very opinionated and thus rarely wrong, but I respectfully submit Pedro may not be "washed up". Injured and washed up are not the same thing. although the sampling size was small, Pedro's WBC outings and subsequent attended workouts suggest there's something left in the tank. 37 isn't ancient anymore in baseball terms.

Furthermore, the first time Pedro drills a Jeremy Hermida or Jeff Franceour in the back for crowding his plate or getting a little too cocky you'll see a shift in the way our young guns take control of home plate and batters show a bit more respect for the man on the hill, whomever that may be. and eventually even the Hinckley's of our squad will be less fearful of throwing a strike with the bases loaded in the ninth.

That might be $5M well spent...

Posted by: outsider6 | April 24, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say "washed up", I said "finished." My prediction is that he is.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 24, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Sound predictions generally require some degree of expertise in the subject matter. Your posts, typically contrary and negative, reflect certainty and plenty of quotes from others but rarely personal expertise.

Doesn't mean Pedro's not "finished". Just means you're not really qualified to have a credible opinion.

Posted by: outsider6 | April 24, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Martinez came to the Expos as a reliever. It was they who turned him into a starter. It was a trade for Delino Deshields if memory serves me correctly, but that was a long time ago.

Posted by: derwink | April 24, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

This is bizarre. Did Sheinin just throw this out in order to bait us? He certainly rang all the right bells, Bowden mistakes, Nats being cheap, Kearns and Dmitri signing...

Posted by: Section506 | April 24, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Do the chickens have large talons?

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Pedro as a closer. What if we give him a base salary of 1-2 mil. with incentive pay for reaching a certain # of saves/wins. I think the nationals should have offered the closer job to Shawn Hill a year ago. I think his ratio of ground ball outs is ideal for a closer.

Posted by: wrw0601 | April 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

outsider, he looked washed up and finished last year.

you realize the mets are bereft of starting pitching beyond santana, and yet they non-tendered him last year. and they had a better look at him than anyone else.

sorry, if he's not a real improvement over what we have, and i don't think he is, why bother? i realize it's not our money, but i have no desire to see them throw $5m at pedro so he can be the pitching version of loduca.

Posted by: sec231 | April 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@CoverageisLacking | April 24, 2009 2:43 PM

I don't understand a word you just said.

Posted by: tailwagger | April 24, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

What's the difference between a chicken?

Posted by: BobLHead | April 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

What is the down side of inking Pedro? If nothing else, he would be FUN to watch. Worse case scenario: he comes in and gets hurt and he's out, leaving the Nats where they started anyway.

Posted by: dfh21 | April 24, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

231,

The Mets didn't want Pedro because Pedro is a Hall of Famer and strong personality.... they want this to be Santana's team. Having Pedro in the 5 spot would have detracted from Santana's influence. They also didn't want him at $5M... you can bet they're reconsidering that right now. :) They're rotation is REALY struggling!

But his value to a young and developing Nats team would be far different. There is no commanding presence in this locker room that Pedro might overshadow. There's no question hed be a $5M risk... but even from the bench or the DL the man can have an impact on the very young but immensely talented pitching prospects.

Posted by: outsider6 | April 24, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I can't help it. Of course I want him here. He's my all time favorite ballplayer. I've never begrudged him a $ that he's gotten a team to give him. I hope some team blinks.

As for whether it makes sense for the nationals, I'm a bit torn. He probably will not be the difference between going 8 games over .500 the rest of the way or not, and may not even allow us a credible run at 4th in the NL East. I do think his knowledge of pitching is something that Lannan, Zimmermann, and Martis could use, and maybe he can reach Cabrera, too.

For those who think he's gotten by on raw stuff and can't think, I'll just say game 5, ALDS, 1999, v Indians. The Pedro with the good gas was gone after 2001, but he still was effective with his mix of pitches, competitiveness, and low 90s heat through 2005. If he is throwing as well as he did then, he's useful to anyone. I just think that he'll end up with LAA or NYM.

He has said he's willing to pitch in relief, and it might be fascinating to watch if he could save his arm pitching in fewer innings, more frequently. It would be quite a way to wrap up a career for someone who has pitched several of the best seasons ever.

did I say he was my all time favorite ballplayer?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | April 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Why is it surprising that the Nats are the second most profitable team in baseball? They were #1 last year and have ranked near the top under the Lerners every year.

The Nats are starting to invest a little more in the ball club, but only to the level of a small market team. Under the Lerners the Nats have NEVER traded for a player who makes a decent salary. This means that they can't trade these guys for prospects or turn them into sandwich picks when they sign elsewhere at the end of their contracts. This hurts their future. It also means the Nats save money.

The Nats do not spend much at all internationally. Maybe some of this is the result of the scandal. But still, it saves money. Not signing their top draft pick last year saved good money too.

Dunn was a breakthrough. Even there, how many teams can anyone name where a $20 million (over two years) guy is the top free agent signing on the club, as well as the ONLY significant one under the Lerners.

Yes, the Nats are improving some. However, they have a ways to go to become big league, in terms of investing in the club's future.

Posted by: EdDC | April 24, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Pedro offers you his protection. (I'm disappointed nobody said that yet.)

He should go to the Tigers. Only one letter away from Liger. Duh.

But seriously, folks. Interesting idea. Not sure what to think.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 24, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

{quote=outsider6}
I'm not saying Pedro will win 20 or turn the Nats into a contender, which the Mets are. I'm saying that he's still a more than capable starting major league pitcher, will add credibility to the organization as it tries to lure FA's in the future, will put butts in the seats, and brings a collection of intangibles that this team could parlay to its advantage as it establishes the foundation of a winning organization.{/quote}

recent performances (i.e., last year) don't point to "more than capable." 5.71 ERA is borderline 5th starter. 5 1/3 per start is borderline 5th starter. even cabrera's career averages (and in the AL east against yanks/sox/rays) are better. in fact, i'm pretty sure he beat those stats every year of his career.

please point out how he adds credibility to future FA signings. if Tex or Dunn were FAs next year, why would signing an aging and declining pedro to a 1 year contract mid-season to be your 5th starter make them more likely to sign with the Nats next year? that makes no sense to me.

define *how many* butts in the seats you really think this means. i can see a very small bump, but we're talking a few hundred per start, not thousands. this isn't the circa 1999 pedro. this is the 2009 guy with the 5+ ERA who doesn't go 6 innings.

Posted by: sec231 | April 24, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

if Pedro would agree for 2 million dollars to be our closer, i would say go for it... he could be like dennis eckersly and john smoltz, both who made fabulous transitions to being closer, we need a closer with killer instinct and confidence

Posted by: destewar | April 24, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Chico, i forgot to say that Pedro is not a lock for the HOF. The number of years he was a dominant pitcher is on the short end of current HOF pitchers. He doesn't even have Mussina-like longevity, and Mussina is borderline as well.

Posted by: destewar | April 24, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1 with the Liger reference! Nice! As a reward for that Herculean move, I'm working on a drawing of you, it's taken me like three hours to finsih the shading on your upper lip . . .

Go Nats! Sign Pedro! Sign freaking anybody. TRY to get better and do so NOW.

Posted by: dfh21 | April 24, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, dfh. I also like to drink 1 percent milk.

I'm still on the fence with the whole sign Pedro thing. There are interesting arguments on both sides. I *would* vote for him, though.

Go Nats!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 24, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Pedro should be a lock for the HOF...

But, no reason to bring him in for 5 million dollars for mediocre performances. Will he really draw that many fans by pitching 5 2/3 innings, allowing 3 runs on 7 hits with 3 Ks... and then handing it over to our wonderful bullpen...

Posted by: rumbly45 | April 24, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if it will always be that greats of this franchise will make a name for themselves elsewhere. Vlad, Pedro, Grady, Carter, on and on.

Posted by: 6thandD | April 24, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Pedro wants to follow his friend Roger Clemens example. Wait until May 20th. Sign with a contender. Tke two weeks to get ready. Get a full season's worth of pay. Reduce strain on the arm.
Great plan if you can get away with it. Future HOFer's can pull this off.

Posted by: ecmdfan | April 24, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Dave, What are you smoking? Pedro is washed up, and he is a head case. Hello???

Of course, 5-10 years ago he was one of the best money pitchers around.

Have you guys all been in the penne al vodka served at Citi Field?

Posted by: paulkp | April 24, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse