Area Supremacy, Roster Inactivity and Lineups

This is Zach Berman filling in from Norfolk's Harbor Park, where both Washington Nationals Manager Manny Acta and Baltimore Orioles Manager Dave Trembley claimed that this is their team's territory. The change in latitude does not change the meaning of the game, but apparently both organizations want to capitalize on the Tidewater region. (And the Atlanta Braves and New York Braves both have fan bases in this region, too.)

Nationals outfielder Adam Dunn stepped out of the visitor's dugout and immediately mentioned the "318" sign on the short right field porch. Pitching coach Randy St. Claire was more interested in the heavy wind blowing off the Elizabeth River. Acta tried to remember whether he visited this ballpark during his time with the Mets.

Of greater baseball significance, Kory Casto and Mike O'Connor cleared waivers and are headed to Syracuse and Terrell Young is on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation, but the Nats say they will not announce any other roster moves today. The bullpen still needs to be sorted out and the outfield remains cluttered, but Acta would not commit to anything before today's game.

"We pretty much have an idea of what we're going to do," Acta said. "We're close. The bullpen, we're split a little bit on a couple of guys. But I think it will come down to not only the numbers game, but also the options and what kind of inventory we can have in Triple A in case some of these guys can't get it done at the end of the season."

On to today's lineups...

Wigginton - DH
Freel - 7
Izturis - 6
Moeller - 2
Uehara - P

By Chico Harlan  |  April 3, 2009; 3:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Casto, O'Connor to Syracuse; T. Young on DL
Next: Concession Locations

Comments

I hope the team is seriously considering using Johnson in the two hole, but I think it's a function of Guzman not being in today's lineup.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 3, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Is the game on MASN? Maybe I just assumed it was because it was Nats v. Orioles. My cable is telling me Anita Marks is on tv... Sad times.

Posted by: CluelessNatsFan | April 3, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 3, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Today's game is not on MASN. Tomorrow's is.

Posted by: ramgut | April 3, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Zack. (D'oh, Manny said the I-word!)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 3, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think I might get a customized Nats T-shirt with INVENTORY as the name. What should the number be?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 3, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Put me in, Coach. I'm INVENTORY!

Posted by: nunof1 | April 3, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

25? or 40?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 3, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"Not on MASN but on local radio if you can pick it up (my signal's better by day)."

Talk about MASN dropping the ball. Their two teams are playing each other, their new HD network just launched, and they're not showing the game? What do they have on instead, fishing highlights?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 3, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Nonof1 - LOVE IT!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | April 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Manny: how about guys "who can't get it done" at the start of the season? Cabrera, Milledge, etc., etc.

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 3, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Adam Dunn stepped out of the visitor's dugout and immediately mentioned the "318" sign on the short right field porch"

And according to MLB's boxscore, the wind is "24 mph, Out to LF"

Is anyone else expecting an NFL-type of score? I'm thinking along the lines of a 14-13 kind of score today.

Posted by: erocks33 | April 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, pretty lame from a programming standpoint.

If we're the 14, I'll take it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 3, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Heart palpitations with all this attention from WaPo staff! I don't know what to say.

It's like I've been jumping saying, "mom.mom.mom.mom.mom.mom.mom.mom." and when she finally turns around to look I'm so shocked she's paying attention I forgot what I was going to say. LOL.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 3, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

LOL, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 3, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is in RF for the game! Not that it means he has the starting job as Guzy is not starting as SS and I would think he is the starter.

Noticeably missing from the O's is Wieters who they sent to AAA. Looking how Wieters sliced and diced the Minors last year at an age older than Zim, I can't believe the O's would not have him contributing on Day 1.

On ESPN they had Wieters rated as the 5th best catcher in all of baseball if he was playing. Unreal. If he can do what Ryan Braun accomplished, he can still take home the Rookie of the Year hardware but it certainly doesn't help missing those MLB stats.

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 3, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut,

You got me, I LOL on that one.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 3, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

they'll bring Wieters up in late May/early June so that his arb-clock doesn't start this year (sort of what the Nats should do with ZNN).

Posted by: erocks33 | April 3, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Weiters, Jones, Markakis--best of O's.
Zimmerman, Guzman, Dunn, Dukes--best of Nats.
2 of those players won't be starting opening day. Only one makes sense.

Posted by: dovelevine | April 3, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Prior to today's game, here's how a few Nats have played over the last 15 ST games:

Milledge: .147 (5-34), 0 rbi, 1 run, 2 bb, 9 so

Johnson: .308 (8-26), 5 rbi, 4 runs, 3 bb, 8 so, 3 2b’s, 1 HR

Zimmerman: .200 (6-30), 5 rbi, 6 runs, 3 bb, 6 so, 3 HR’s

Dunn: .267 (4-15), 0 rbi, 2 runs, 3 bb, 6 so, 2 2b’s

Willingham: .333 (9-27), 8 rbi, 7 runs, 4 bb, 4 so, 3 HR’s

Dukes: .148 (4-27), 3 rbi, 5 runs, 4 bb, 15 so, 3 2b’s

Willingham: .333 (9-27), 8 rbi, 7 runs, 4 bb, 4 so, 3 HR’s

Flores: .250 (3-12), 2 rbi, 2 runs, 0 bb, 1 so

Flores: .250 (3-12), 2 rbi, 2 runs, 0 bb, 1 so

Bard: .200 (3-15), 0 rbi, 2 runs, 0 bb, 1 so, 2 2b’s

Posted by: erocks33 | April 3, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Dukes may have the most raw talent on the team, but he is just not putting the bat on the ball right now. ST stats might not mean much, especially if a player is working on a specific aspect of their game (i.e. hitting to the opposite field). But when a guy is striking out frequently in ST games you have to take notice. If Dukes should be a starter anywhere, it should be in Columbus to get his timing and confidence back.

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | April 3, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Oops, meant to also put Kearns in there

Kearns: .250 (7-28), 7 rbi, 3 runs, 4 bb, 8 so3 HR’s

Posted by: erocks33 | April 3, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Dang it, forgot Nieves

Nieves: .417 (5-12), 0 rbi, 1 run, 0 bb, 2 so

Posted by: erocks33 | April 3, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

The number should definitely be 25.

Posted by: nattaboy | April 3, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Daggone, we are not going to be no-hit here (let alone that other thing). Come on, Nats bats!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 3, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, guess that you're all in the new post. Thanks for breaking it up, Zimm.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 3, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"and Terrell Young is on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation."

Terrell? Is this an O's player, or are we talking about Meat-Hook?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 3, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Whoops -- belay that. He's a pitcher. Just saw the previous post.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 3, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm still wondering who the New York Braves are.

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 3, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that could be the new song.

IN-ven-tor-y
(bah bah bah)

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 3, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

You know looking at that lineup, if we had the DH, then 9/10 of what we've been talking about goes away. Everybody hits.

Yeah Nick may very well end up hitting 2nd. Gooz will probably be leading off after awhile. Of course, you know that Mills would love getting more strikes to hit too. I mean, you can set the tone for the rest of the lineup with Nick at or near the top. He's probably going right back to .320 again.

Posted by: Brue | April 3, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

So I'm not the only one wondering, CE?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 4, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse