Belliard, Day-To-Day With Back Injury

After I'm done filing the game story from this latest defeat (Marlins 6, Nats 4 - with plenty of drama in the ninth), I'll post a thick recap of reaction, odds and ends. But I wanted to first provide an injury update.

In the eighth inning today, Alberto Gonzalez entered as a pinch-hitter for Ronnie Belliard. It seemed like a curious move at the time. Turns out, Belliard actually bowed out of the game because of a back injury. Belliard said after the game that he aggravated his back on a swing in his final at bat in Tuesday night's game.

This morning, Belliard felt OK. He took grounders at every infield position during the morning drills, but then his back acted up again.

He is listed as day-to-day. In the meantime, Gonzalez or Willie Harris will handle Washington's second base duties.

"I'll be alright," Belliard said. "We'll see what happens in the next couple days. Hopefully it will be just a couple of days."

By Chico Harlan  |  April 8, 2009; 4:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Through Five: Marlins 5, Nats 2
Next: A Serious Hole

Comments

Belliard didn't play the first seven innings. He came in as a pinch hitter. Did you watch the game?

Posted by: danp3111 | April 8, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope Belly gets better. This is good chance to get a look at A.Gonzalez.

Posted by: FloresFan | April 8, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

not knowing willie started is a bit ridiculous

Posted by: bford1kb | April 8, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I also thought Patterson pitched a really good game.

Posted by: HotNats | April 8, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Castilla really moved well at third base. And how 'bout that Zach Day? Wow, he's really picked up his velocity on the mound.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

reposting from previous topic:

What has anyone seen that makes you think he can play second base better than Hernandez? What have you seen that makes you think he has the attitude that would enable him to make such an adjustment? That position demands a great deal of concentration, split second decision making and judgement and the ability to pivot on a dime to turn a double play.
Bad outfielders don't make good infielders, at least in my view. He would have a better chance learning to pitch.

Posted by: driley

Alot of reasons for my thinking. First, he has a second baseman's arm. Second, he runs well, which should translate to pretty good range. Third, the front office has raved about what a great athlete he is. Great athletes can learn the footwork around the bag much easier than they can learn to judge flyballs. Fourth, he could be a well above average offensive 2B - I'm just not sold on Anderson Hernandez... yet. As for his attitude, perhaps if it was clearly explained to him that converting to 2B is his best and perhaps only chance of having a long career in this game then he would be willing to go down to the minors for a year or two and learn

Posted by: DoctorJoe | April 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if the post has been updated since these comments, but I don't anything in the current post that suggests that Belliard started the game.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 8, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

JiM, 3rd paragraph, 2nd sentence.

Posted by: HotNats | April 8, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It is comforting to know that this world is filled with so many perfect people. I wonder what's like to never make a mistake?

Posted by: Section505203 | April 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh crud, I skipped right over that. I guess my brain only chose to process the part about the morning drills.

I see no part of my previous reply that suggests I didn't thoroughly read Chico's post...

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Check that, it wasn't but my point remains the same. Lighten up people.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not criticizing, God knows my history of botches is a long and distinguished one, I just thought it funny.

Posted by: HotNats | April 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"It appears to have been updated. But, so what, the man made an honest mistake and everyone has to jump on it. Geez."

I for one am willing to forgive Chico his occasional mistake. I mean it's not like he put in sugar when the recipe called for salt. That would be unexceptable.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

sorry 505203, but not being able to tell the difference between Ronnie Belliard and Willie Harris for 7 innings isn't just an honest mistake. It's you not paying any attention to the game you are paid to write about.

Posted by: MrMadison | April 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think we're ignoring the real victim here. Poor Willie is so Wee he got completely overlooked.

Posted by: tmp2234 | April 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

anyway, Maryland Peeps - I found a really good spot to watch Nats Games:

Hank's Tavern & Eats
6507 America BLVD
Hyattsville, MD 20782
301-209-0572

it's at PG Plaza, right next to the Movie Theatre.

walked in there today around 1240-ish, with my daughter, trying to catch a little bit of the game before meeting my wife at the mall.

this was the ONLY place I went to in my 5 years of trying to find a decent spot near me to watch a game, that I did not have to ask "do you carry the Nats game?" or "could you change to the Nats Game for me?"

when I walked in, the game was already on, on the biggest TV in the place. I was utterly shocked. a real, actual, local Sports Bar with an interest in LOCAL baseball.

The Bartender was really nice, and seemed quite interested in the Nats game, more so than you generally see. I gave him my pocket schedule and he taped it up on the mirror behind the Bar, and said if I had any other Nats stuff, he'd see if he could put it up on the wall.

I had to leave to go meet my wife, and then took my daughter to eat. came back right around the 8th inning, and was like "wtf?" and the Bartender filled me in on what happened.

Very nice place. and very Nats-Friendly.

you should go by and check it out.

Posted by: MrMadison | April 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Willie was so fast that Chico didn't even see him.

Posted by: HotNats | April 8, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Willie is so good, he can assume the identity of whomever you want.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 8, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

And the question I ask you Mr. Madison is if Barry had made this mistake would you have brushed it off or would you hopped all over him for it?

Chico is following a "Legend" so to speak, and it is never easy to step into those big shoes.

Chico has made some mistakes no doubt, some pretty big ones that I have even scratched my head over but, he can't catch a break with some people on the NJ, he stubs his toe and people jump all over him.

I think he is a very good writer and just wish people would ease up on the vitriol a little.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 8, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of consonant-boy, here's the tail end of Barry's Masters chat, in case you missed it.

Re: what was he thinking?: Care to rank, on a 1-to-10 scale, the poorness of Stan Kasten's decision to "invite" Phillies fan to the Phils/Nats games next week?

Barry Svrluga: Well, I thought Steinberg's deconstruction of it was pretty interesting. And Boz is sitting to my left here in Augusta, and you can imagine he has a few thoughts on the matter.

(Boz is, by the way, "watching" the Nats game on his live box score through mlb.com, and I guarantee you he and I are the only two people in this massive press area who have had a discussion today about the merits of playing Kearns over Willingham and Dukes. Hard to shake the bug sometimes.)

Any way, Boz is going to weigh in on the matter in tomorrow's paper. Interesting stuff.

Posted by: joebleux | April 8, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section505203 | April 8, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I would have jumped on him for it and corrected him. don't try to play me for a fanboy, dude. it's not happening.

quite simply, either this is a typo(which I sincerely hope it is, I'll forgive him for that), or Food Critic was not actually paying attention to the game for 7 innings. He gets paid to pay attention to the game and write about it.

Belliard is chunky(not as chunky as before, but still chunky) and right-handed. Willie is small and left-handed. and Willie wears a double-eared helmet.

Mistaking the two for 7 entire innings is inexcusable, I don't care whose shoes he is trying to fill.

Posted by: MrMadison | April 8, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

This is what it still says on this post when I open it up:

"This morning, Belliard felt OK. He took grounders at every infield position during the morning drills, and played the first seven innings. But then his back acted up again."

Did Belliard play the first seven innings or not? I was listening on the radio at work and thought they said Harris was in there, but then I got called into a meeting and missed the rest of the game.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 8, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not playing you for a fanboy. Where you got that, I have no idea....Dude.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 8, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Clowns wear big shoes. Are you guys saying Barry Svrluga is a clown?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 8, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

"Did Belliard play the first seven innings or not?"

Posted by: nunof1
----------------------------------------

Nope.

Washington AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
Harris, 2B 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000
a-Belliard, PH-2B 1 0 0 0 0 1 3 .125
d-Gonzalez, A, PH-2B 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1.000

Posted by: HotNats | April 8, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

This continues to show on my screen no matter how often I refresh the page. Is it perhaps a browser error on my part? Because I see you guys all saying Chico corrected a mistake. Is this the mistake he corrected?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 8, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 8, 2009 5:19 PM

If that was the case, he would have faked a groin injury...

Just sayin'

Posted by: TimDz | April 8, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"I think Belliard is just lying about his back so he can go see Dmitri's masseuse."

Ding Ding Ding!!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! Post of the day.

Maybe he's looking for "immediate release," eh, JiM? Huh? Eh?

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | April 8, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

"inexcusable" is a bit much.

it's a minor little detail in a quick, dashed-off post. when you try to write things quickly, like on a blog post, you'll make mistakes.

would you rather have him fully edit every single thing or get the info to you quickly?

the second base thing is about the least valuable piece of info he's giving you -- it's an unnecessary, trivial detail. jumping on it -- and piling on -- is silly.

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | April 8, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

HotNats sez:

New Post

Posted by: HotNats | April 8, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side, Adam Dunn managed to play an entire game at first without soiling himself.

Posted by: petey5 | April 8, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey, hey, smarter people than me think the "OF to 2b" conversion isn't totally crazy! Look here: Rob Neyer says "It might be the most fascinating phenomenon in baseball this spring: three teams turning outfielders and third basemen into second basemen. The Cardinals are doing it with Skip Schumaker, the Royals are doing it with Mark Teahen, and the Rockies are doing it with Ian Stewart.

Crazy? When it's one team you might think so, but when it's three teams you have wonder if maybe they've figured out something that everyone else hasn't."

And Dave Cameron says "As the newer defensive metrics gain credibility, we saw an increase in the premium for defense at positions where defense hasn’t historically been valued and a corresponding decrease at a position that has been genuinely considered a premium glove spot. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. I’d bet that going forward, second base is going to look a lot more like third base. "

Ok, I'm officially intrigued by this idea. Millz for 2b!!!

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | April 8, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse