Dukes Scratched For Violating Team Rule

Up here in the press box, we just got word that Elijah Dukes has been scratched from the lineup for violating an undisclosed team rule. The indication is that Dukes was five minutes late for the team's workout today, which prompted the punishment. (Notice the lockdown, post-Milledge.) Manny Acta will address the matter post game, and once we hear more, I'll update.

In the meantime, here is the revised lineup.

Hernandez - 4
Johnson - 3
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 7
Bard - 2
Kearns - 9
Bernadina - 8
Gonzalez - 6
Olsen - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  April 18, 2009; 12:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday's Nats-Marlins Lineups [UPDATE]
Next: Cintron Recalled From Class AAA Syracuse

Comments

Hmm - and everything was going well till the 9th inning last night.

Chico, I think you meant to write Bernadina - 8.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 18, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Dagger. This is not good... Dukes is my favorite player, but he needs to get it together, zero tolerance with this guy.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | April 18, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

This if fine.......The best news is Manny got the message from the Milledge case the blew. If he had handled this correctly with Milledge than Dukes might have not needed his own lesson.

I like that adults are now running the show. Acta has been far to lose with the team for 3 years now.

It will be interesting to see who takes over next year as Manager.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

(Sigh) - Looks like "zero tolerance" is in effect in the Nationals' locker room, & Dukes was the 1st one nailed. Really a shame, because the kid is playing great. That's really going to expose Dunn - don't be suprised if we see by a 3-k day from the Dunnkey.

On other matters, I'd hope that Olsen can stay ahead of hitters & can give the team 6 solid innings today.

Posted by: BinM | April 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be an absolute beating.

Posted by: RickFelt | April 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Five minutes late to a day game after a night game - Holliday says, 'Acta's not putting up with that this year'. Ridiculous. FIRE ACTA FIRE HOLLIDAY NO MORE CHEERLEADING!!!!!

Posted by: Brue | April 18, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

CLearly, this is Rizzo setting down the law....Acta still is pouting about Milledge not being in CF....Note Milledge is not even in CF or Lead Off in AAA....I think he is done as a Nat.....

Posted by: JayBeee | April 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markfromark | April 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

>An absolute beating. They'll be lucky to score. I mean, after we finish up the first.

It's early. Olsen still struggling in the mid-80's. 5-2 now.

Posted by: Brue | April 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised. How often do "problem children" work out? Maybe Dukes will be an exception to the rule but I've always had my doubts. He had to apologize to his manager (and the fans) last year, he was part of the "softball girls" last year, and now this. Dukes has talent and I'd like to see this work out but I've always suspected that he'll be yet one more athlete who will never "get it" and will spend his career moving from city to city, wearing out his welcome everywhere he goes.

Posted by: grforbes | April 18, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

>I'm not surprised. How often do "problem children" work out? Maybe Dukes will be an exception to the rule but I've always had my doubts.

5 minutes late? Get a life.

Posted by: Brue | April 18, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE!!! Five minutes late!! what is this romper room? pull him to the side and give him the what for, fine him a significant amount(he's hurting for cash anyway) Get tough over something important not the five minutes late krap supposed it was traffic(and please don't tell me about the leave early scenario). Hey they lead 6-2 and Kearns goes yard with the sacks full.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 18, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Isn't a double standard great!! Milledge is late and just about everyone on the blog insists he should have sat out his next start. Dukes is late and no one is willing to critize him. Why? Because he's playing well, it's the only reason. As always the fans are content to play enabler as long as they think the player has talent.

And he's not a "problem child?" Really? What short memories you choose to have. He threatened his ex-wife, he needed a court to remind him to pay alimony and child support, he's paid a half-million and yet the team has to have a full time "baby sitter" to hold his little hand and keep him out of trouble (too bad he cannot help him get to work on time), and he's not allowed to talk to the press without a PR guy glued to his hip.

But he can hit a baseball so we'll just forgive all his sins ... for now.

Posted by: grforbes | April 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse